1986 Honda CR125 w/signed jug

Trackdog
Edited Date/Time 6/19/2022 7:29am
I recently acquired a restored 1986 Honda CR 125.
There are initials on the jug TLR or TLC.
Any idea on who's signature that could be?
FWIW I purchased the bike in Massachusetts, maybe this will help.

I have been squirreling away parts for this as I find them,but right now the main issue is suspension.
The bike is set up for a 200# rider, I am only 140#.
I'll need to find someone willing to perform this task.
Factory Connection was a no go, said the bike was too old.
|
blaze 57
1/15/2022 11:40am Edited Date/Time 1/15/2022 11:43am
First thing about the suspension I would ditch the stock forks and throw on a pair of the 87' cartridge forks. Well worth it. This guy works on vintage suspension. (800) 277-5089. His name is Mike Morbacker at Moto-Pro suspension.
Trackdog
1/16/2022 9:21am
Thanks Blaze, I'll give Mike M a call.

I went my local dealer and asked the kid at the parts counter for a set of 1987 CR 125 forks.
He said" did the make a CR125 in1987, because I can't find them"
I replied " Did the make a CR125 in 1987?!, don't you know Johnny O'mara?"
He replies" Johnny who?"......

J/K

Yes, that would be a very good idea.
I know where there is a 1987 wasting away in this guy's garage.
I have asked him to sell it me, but he always says the same thing. " I should rebuild it"
And every time I ask him, the price goes up! I can't keep asking him because I think I would be showing him my cards.
I have been searching for 1987 forks, and all I can find are 1986 forks...lol
1/16/2022 1:15pm
Not sure why but I never see a 87 125 for sale. I bought mine on my birthday 11-18-89 it had NSR big letters north shore racing. Raced against 500,s on a hilly deep wet sand track got 2nd ran out of time to get the leader. I thought the 87 forks worked great but it was my 1st bike. I broke the stock shock WP shock worked Great.

The Shop

Smed
1/16/2022 3:11pm
Trackdog wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2022/01/15/528447/s1200_IMG_9250.jpg[/img]

This bike already has been upgraded with Showa cartridge forks, The lower legs & machining of the upper between triple clamp is a giveaway, There should be a part number on inside lower fork legs which may give a clue as to what they are off, IE KS6 or similar
Trackdog
1/16/2022 4:26pm
Smed,
I was thinking the same thing about those forks.
I thought I was going to have to pull them apart to find out, which is going to be done anyway.
The springs in the front and rear shock are WAY too stiff for me!

Inside leg reads:
KA4
SA-1
Showa KS7-00??

The right case/clutch cover and water pump are not OEM, neither is the front brake master.
Carb is a PWK 38mm air striker
I was told the clutch is not factory also.

I have only the suspension to worry about right now, everything else seems tight and ready to go.
Somebody loved this bike. I bought from a guy who had it sitting in his living room. Now it sitting in my finished basement next to my buddies 1982 YZ490 that I convinced him to buy the same day I bought this.
I wanted the YZ too but didn't have the disposable income for two bikes.
He's been wrenching on that getting it sorted so we can do some vintage racing.

Right now I going thru a low hour cream puff 2005 KDX 200 I picked up last fall.
This will be my meat and potatoes bike, hare scrambles and J-Day machine.

It's really eating at me as to signed the jug of that CR.....
Smed
1/16/2022 5:15pm
The bike looks to be in very good order, They are a great thing, KA4 is CR250 81-85, KS7 is CR250 86-88, So my guess is 85-88 CR250, they all have slightly different internals so yes a pull apart may give more info, Race tech have a good spring rate calculator on there site, Can the previous owner shed light on the current spring rate? That would help or yeah just give em to a tuner & let them work it out, they should have a spring rate tester. So the clutch cover would have been rotted out & replaced with an aluminum repo one, The clutch basket would have been notched & worn out, Mitaka make a nice billett one, that's probably what's been done, I have Mitaka baskets in 3 of my bikes, Awesome kit, how does it run with the PWK? V force reeds work good too , Sorry can't help with the engraving on the cylinder.
Smed
1/16/2022 5:47pm

450exc115
1/19/2022 11:35am
Nice bike for sure. If your into the woods racing check out the NETRA vintage series. We have 11 races this year and it's a minimum of 1 hour of riding on Sundays after the kids events. Abilities range from C riders to some AAs depending on the class. Everyone is pretty chill too which makes it fun. That bike falls in the Retro class which is all the bikes 25 years or older from current model date that have at 1 disk brake and 1 drum brake. I ran 3 bikes last year in the class. 88 Cagiva WMX 125, 86 Yamaha IT200 and a 86 Yamaha YZ250.. This year I hope to have my 88 Cagiva WMX 250 together in time for round 2 in May. Round 1 is my club at the end of April.

Swapping springs is an easy task on these bikes and the RT calculator is pretty good. There are a few local shops that will work on that suspension too. Daigle racing (the old REP), Motoworxs, HVR in western mass, and a few others. Hit the NETRA vintage FB page and I'm sure you'd get a bunch of local suggestions.
a22
1/22/2022 3:21am Edited Date/Time 1/22/2022 4:58am
engraving on the cylinder is from  TLR Performance~engine Tuning shop from Sebastian, Florida. Think they have been tuning engines for coming on 40 years and looks like they do some cool tuning.     email:tlrperf@yahoo.com

They are also on Facebook with some interesting looking stuff and pics of their work.
Trackdog
1/23/2022 9:17am
Smed wrote:
The bike looks to be in very good order, They are a great thing, KA4 is CR250 81-85, KS7 is CR250 86-88, So my guess is...
The bike looks to be in very good order, They are a great thing, KA4 is CR250 81-85, KS7 is CR250 86-88, So my guess is 85-88 CR250, they all have slightly different internals so yes a pull apart may give more info, Race tech have a good spring rate calculator on there site, Can the previous owner shed light on the current spring rate? That would help or yeah just give em to a tuner & let them work it out, they should have a spring rate tester. So the clutch cover would have been rotted out & replaced with an aluminum repo one, The clutch basket would have been notched & worn out, Mitaka make a nice billett one, that's probably what's been done, I have Mitaka baskets in 3 of my bikes, Awesome kit, how does it run with the PWK? V force reeds work good too , Sorry can't help with the engraving on the cylinder.
Thank you very much for the info.
When I bought the bike is was a cold rainy night.
We rolled the bike out of the garage. Cold engine, it fired right up and idle great. After a very short warm up, I rode up and down the street just to confirm there were no problems with the clutch or transmission.
Second trip back down the street she ran out out of gas.
The owner I purchased the bike bike from had little info. I guess he rode once or twice. I'm guessing he was about 170# and he thought the suspension was too stiff for him. I am only 140#, which is up from my racing weight of 125#!

I am still building my woods bike so I will not run this again until winter is over.

I don't need a new clutch cover but, the one you show here does look nice!
The one on my bike is any aftermarket with NO identifiers. Maybe somebody made a bunch.(?)
Trackdog
1/23/2022 9:41am
450exc115 wrote:
Nice bike for sure. If your into the woods racing check out the NETRA vintage series. We have 11 races this year and it's a minimum...
Nice bike for sure. If your into the woods racing check out the NETRA vintage series. We have 11 races this year and it's a minimum of 1 hour of riding on Sundays after the kids events. Abilities range from C riders to some AAs depending on the class. Everyone is pretty chill too which makes it fun. That bike falls in the Retro class which is all the bikes 25 years or older from current model date that have at 1 disk brake and 1 drum brake. I ran 3 bikes last year in the class. 88 Cagiva WMX 125, 86 Yamaha IT200 and a 86 Yamaha YZ250.. This year I hope to have my 88 Cagiva WMX 250 together in time for round 2 in May. Round 1 is my club at the end of April.

Swapping springs is an easy task on these bikes and the RT calculator is pretty good. There are a few local shops that will work on that suspension too. Daigle racing (the old REP), Motoworxs, HVR in western mass, and a few others. Hit the NETRA vintage FB page and I'm sure you'd get a bunch of local suggestions.
I have some old racing buddies that have turned to the dirt that are doing NETRA.
I have been lurking on the website. Should I join NETRA? Do I need to join to race?
My renewed interest in racing all stems for a J-Day at the good ole 'wick.

I plan on running the 2005 KDX200 most of the time.
The CR 125 will be for select Vintage traces like MX Rewind at Unadilla.

I was going to buy an '83 IT200 before I bought the CR.
It was restored but still had some issues, and IMO the asking price was too high.
I still chat with the owner. He decided to keep the bike for now and address the issues.

Thanks for pointing out the suspension shops nearby. I really don't want to box up my stuff and ship them to Race-Tech for a number of reasons. I want to spend my money locally for obvious reasons.
Would you recommend one over the other?
I am leaning towards Motorworx. I'll drive several hours to go to a good shop. I like talking face to face with anyone that would be working on any of my bikes.
Trackdog
1/23/2022 9:45am
a22 wrote:
engraving on the cylinder is from  TLR Performance~engine Tuning shop from Sebastian, Florida. Think they have been tuning engines for coming on 40 years and looks like they do some cool tuning.     email:tlrperf@yahoo.com They...
engraving on the cylinder is from  TLR Performance~engine Tuning shop from Sebastian, Florida. Think they have been tuning engines for coming on 40 years and looks like they do some cool tuning.     email:tlrperf@yahoo.com

They are also on Facebook with some interesting looking stuff and pics of their work.
LOL!
I don't know how someone on the other side of the pond knows this, but thank you very much sir!
I am following up with an email to TLR.
I sent them pictures and engine numbers.

a22
1/23/2022 10:05am
Hahaa! Yes, your lovely bike and the engraving on the Jug also made me curious and also could well understand your frustration as to who ported it / engraved the 'TLR' and who it was!
I remembered a couple of years ago the TLR shop, as I had been looking at their work and put 1+1 together- made me remember it!
Think they look a really good shop- they have been around for a longtime and also won stuff with their tuned bikes.

Best of luck with the enquiry and the super looking 'Johnny o' bike you got there- it looks an absoulute cracker! Kind of very similar looking to a Johnny o' of the time! Bet that thing goes good!Smile

Glad to help.

Trackdog
1/23/2022 10:28am
Thanks again "22"!

I agree. The shop looks legit'.
I have been catching up on my Johnny O videos. Incredible to compete with the Big Bores on a little ripper.
Goes to show its not the bike, it's the rider.

What's cracker?
Is that good or bad.........Blink
450exc115
1/23/2022 11:04am
NETRA is a great off-road organization. I've been apart of it for the last 20+ years. Early years as a racer and later years more on the administration side but racing vintage the last 5 years.
You could join now or everything can be done at a race if you want. John runs a great series with jday. He was a AA in NETRA for many years along with his Dad. Jday is a shorter course and duration with the 2 Moto format. NETRA is much longer with the harescramble series being 1.5 hours for novice and 2 hours for amateur and expert. The vintage is 1hr.
a22
1/23/2022 11:25am Edited Date/Time 1/24/2022 7:33am
Trackdog wrote:
Thanks again "22"! I agree. The shop looks legit'. I have been catching up on my Johnny O videos. Incredible to compete with the Big Bores...
Thanks again "22"!

I agree. The shop looks legit'.
I have been catching up on my Johnny O videos. Incredible to compete with the Big Bores on a little ripper.
Goes to show its not the bike, it's the rider.

What's cracker?
Is that good or bad.........Blink
Haha- the English banter and expressions... I always forget the expressions may not also apply in US!! Even though we speak same language we also have some different terms that differ between US and UK, some not used between us!

A 'Cracker' means is a super thing!! A 'cracking thing!', abit of an old fashioned expression probably. Means a lovely specimen!

Yes- also the engraving is definitely TLR shops work- have seen they also engraved other jugs with exactly the same nice inscribings and letterings.

Will be interesting if they remember the work they did?
As you said- bet that bike has been loved and had some time and money spent on it. Bet that thing damn rips!!

Yes- also something amazing when a 125cc rider beats the bigger bikes- like 250/ 500cc!! Johnny O' and Steve Lamson... legendary!
450exc115
1/24/2022 11:01am
450exc115 wrote:
Nice bike for sure. If your into the woods racing check out the NETRA vintage series. We have 11 races this year and it's a minimum...

Trackdog wrote:
I have some old racing buddies that have turned to the dirt that are doing NETRA. I have been lurking on the website. Should I join...
I have some old racing buddies that have turned to the dirt that are doing NETRA.
I have been lurking on the website. Should I join NETRA? Do I need to join to race?
My renewed interest in racing all stems for a J-Day at the good ole 'wick.

I plan on running the 2005 KDX200 most of the time.
The CR 125 will be for select Vintage traces like MX Rewind at Unadilla.

I was going to buy an '83 IT200 before I bought the CR.
It was restored but still had some issues, and IMO the asking price was too high.
I still chat with the owner. He decided to keep the bike for now and address the issues.

Thanks for pointing out the suspension shops nearby. I really don't want to box up my stuff and ship them to Race-Tech for a number of reasons. I want to spend my money locally for obvious reasons.
Would you recommend one over the other?
I am leaning towards Motorworx. I'll drive several hours to go to a good shop. I like talking face to face with anyone that would be working on any of my bikes.
I just google were you are located and you should give Pete and GMD Computrack a call. He'd not far from you and works on all suspension types beyond the road racing on his website. He's does awesome work.

Motoworx does a good job and he is a Racetech dealer but he can be funny sometimes on the older stuff. Yours looks in great shape so I wouldn't expect any issues.

Diagle racing is about an hour from you and is the old REP shop.

Claxton Powersports is up on the north shore and Rick is a long long time NETRA racer and raced CRs for many years.

You can't go wrong with any of these guys.
Trackdog
1/26/2022 3:19am
Spot on A22!
TLR of Florida was the author of the scribe on the cylinder.
Unfortunately, the need the name of the person who sent the jug to them in order to provide any detailed information.
I know it was not the person I bought the bike from.

I will try reaching out to him and see where that takes me.
Perhaps someone will recognize the bike at Unadilla MX rewind.......

Thank you all for help.
It has been many since I retired from racing.
Sold all my bikes, bought a house, got married, settled down.
But this shit, as you all know very well, is in our blood.
I am new to the VITALMX community. Glad I found you guys!
Trackdog
6/19/2022 7:29am
Motoworx does a good job and he is a Racetech dealer but he can be funny sometimes on the older stuff. Yours looks in great shape so I wouldn't expect any issues.

I had Rob at Motorworx do the upgrade with Race Tech springs and valves. Great guy, pleasure to work with and highly recommend him. He may be semi-retired and has downsized his shop and it's just him, so be patient.

Got the bike together and ran her for first time. Sorry to report she is virtually unrideable.
Starts and idles fine, but runs like ass....Maybe be just really fat or a sticking float?
Had a bunch of fuel flowing out the overflow. Perhaps it was set to run rich for the top end break in(?).

NO power until it hits the absolute top rpm. When she cooled she wouldn't fire. Pulled the plug and aside from being wet it was a nice toasty brown.

So I pull the carb and clean it up and check everything. Maybe go down on the main jet?
Keep you posted.

Post a reply to: 1986 Honda CR125 w/signed jug

The Latest