Skateboarding

sumdood
Fantasy
1282nd
Edited Date/Time 4/8/2015 5:16pm
Seems like lots of moto guys also skate, anyone one in here skate ? Lets see some pics.
|
MR. X
4/3/2015 5:06am
Not in a long time,I used to skate from sun up til sundown.
4/3/2015 7:45am Edited Date/Time 4/3/2015 7:45am
I suck at it, but i used to get stoned and watch street skate vids. Still do watch the vids just not stoned. Tongue

Ps, do you follow Dewon Song on IG, damn that dude is amazing.
MR. X
4/3/2015 8:06am
I've always been a huge fan of Rodney Mullin.
markit
4/3/2015 8:27am
We use to board back in the Tony Alva days (mid 70s) had a 30" Alva board with Kriptonics and tracker trucks. had some good times back then. Been wanting to track down another original Alva board just to have. Told some kids years back at a customers house I use to board figured I would break my neck due to not touching one for 20 or so years, did some 360s and a few short kick turns and slides. What was weird was once on the board i felt way more comfortable than i thought I would and the kids didn't laugh at me just kind of had a look of disbelief.LOL

The Shop

sumdood
Fantasy
1282nd
4/3/2015 8:36am
We used to skate pools and bomb hills all through the 70's. Spent a lot of time at the Carlsbad skatepark when it opened up. I have some footage from the "Fruit Bowl" pool in garden grove on a vhs tape that was converted from 8mm haha. Here's me behind Saddleback college in 1979 I think. My son skates almost everyday, that's him dropping into the pool
sumdood
Fantasy
1282nd
4/3/2015 8:41am
Here's a couple other shots of my kid Cool

FIREfish148
4/3/2015 11:47pm
i learned to Ollie Over a 2x6 and gave it up. Woohoo one of the hardest sports to learn no doubt.
MX114
4/4/2015 6:13am
Dam your kid is def not scared to go big.
Sick pictures dude
sumdood
Fantasy
1282nd
4/4/2015 10:06am
MX114 wrote:
Dam your kid is def not scared to go big.
Sick pictures dude
Thanks !
Nighttrain
4/4/2015 11:00am
Cool pics of your son, Sumdood. I've a son who skates, too. Every time I catch a part of "Lords of Dogtown" on TV I grab a longboard and takeoff down the street. That movie is from the era when I started skating. Had an Alva board, ACS trucks, and Hobie Claws wheels.
ocscottie
4/4/2015 2:24pm
MR. X wrote:
Not in a long time,I used to skate from sun up til sundown.
I was the same! i had a "track" laid out in my front yard (we lived in a court) and i even painted the curbs lol while wrenching on my bikes i would take skate breaks and do a few laps, then back to the wrenches.

Its a trip, i still have rad skating dreams, but whenever i stop, i have to sit down on my board LOL
FLmxer
Fantasy
898th
4/4/2015 2:52pm
There were 4 half pipes on the small island i grew up on right on the side of the lone road that went from one end to the other. It turned into a retirement area and that was the end of that around the mid 90's.
4/4/2015 4:52pm
I still skate quite a bit. When ever my kids are out riding bikes, I'm on my board. Also the base has a free park so that’s cool.
ocscottie
4/4/2015 5:20pm
MR. X wrote:
Do you have Netflix? There is an awesome Bones Brigade Documentary that will bring back so many memories. Its called "Bones Brigade:
An Autobiography" came out in 2012, you wont even recognize Rodney!

It is a must watch for any skate fan.

Here is a segment on him: (he talks at 2:24, seems to have some "issues")

https://youtu.be/CwI2QC_87q4
4/4/2015 5:55pm
I used to skate allot with a friend of me back in the day but few years ago i destroyed my ancle ligaments while bmx-ing and it kinda still hurts so i don't wanna skateboard anymore lol. I do watch my friend skate from time to time he's gotten somewhat decent over the years it's been fun. We never really got the material to film anything or whatever but few years ago we did catch him landing his 1st 360 flip at one of my countries only indoor skatepark (outside skating near impossible with rain non stop)
horrible shot lol but atleast we got it i guess...
tvo314
4/4/2015 8:38pm
Sumdood, your son looks awesome!

Skating was my life for about 12 years. I finally got to the point where to make it to the next level it just got too gnarly. It wasn't enough to just stick a 12 stair rail, but you had to fucking kick flip onto it and now probably do it switch. Well, when I saw that kids younger than me had no problem trying that crazy shit, I knew it was time for me to get out. It was at that point that I got into moto heavier than I ever did before and found new ways of hurting myself.

I still have tons of respect for skating and am actually incredibly thankful for it. I come from an Air Force family so we moved around a bunch when I was younger and I wasn't the most outgoing kid, but because I was really good at skating making friends was always very easy for me. This gave me a ton of confidence that continues to benefit me to this day.
MR. X
4/4/2015 10:24pm
MR. X wrote:
ocscottie wrote:
Do you have Netflix? There is an awesome Bones Brigade Documentary that will bring back so many memories. Its called "Bones Brigade: An Autobiography" came out...
Do you have Netflix? There is an awesome Bones Brigade Documentary that will bring back so many memories. Its called "Bones Brigade:

Thanks for the heads up , ill check it out for sure.
markit
4/5/2015 2:52am
MR. X wrote:
ocscottie wrote:
Do you have Netflix? There is an awesome Bones Brigade Documentary that will bring back so many memories. Its called "Bones Brigade: An Autobiography" came out...

I just ran across that the other day. Got some of the grip tape a while back, the smell reminded me of the skate shops.
4/5/2015 4:58am
My wife got me this board for my birthday a couple years ago. It's kinda of heavy but really works well at concrete parks.

sumdood
Fantasy
1282nd
4/6/2015 12:32am
Thanks for the compliments on my son's skating Smile . Of all the sports he's been exposed to, he took to skating the most, he loves it, and skates pretty much everyday. Some of the stuff (ok most of the stuff) he does scares the shit out of me though. I've had 2 fake hips (on the same side) put in so I'm a little leary of bouncing off of concrete but I can still do 360's and kick turn and work the little baby bowls at the skatepark. But I'm stiff as a board. I'm slowly getting my flexibility in my hips back but I have a long way to go. My goal is to be able to do a Bertleman turn by my next birthday when I turn 57...Laughing

Kind of funny when we we're kids I couldn't have a dirtbike because they were "too dangerous" but we used to get clocked at 40+ bombing hills barefoot and wearing nothing but surf trunks all the time, and somehow that was ok, My downhill board was a 44" Sims longboard with Tracker trucks and Road Rider 6's. Used to also skate a place called the Brea Spillway that was a big downhill flood control thing with sides that went up about 35-40 feet on either side, we'd take off from the highest point and just be fucking cooking up and down the walls, but dirtbikes were too dangerous.. haha if my parents knew what we were doing they'd have shit a rubber nickel LOL.
4/6/2015 1:43pm
my skateboard as a kid. This was back in the day nobody had helmets. I was going down a hill, lost control and bam, smacked my head. My mom threw it in the trash that same day. I was 8.

hvaughn88
4/6/2015 1:49pm
I can't skate worth a shit, but I have a weird fascination with boards and their looks. I can sit in a skate shop for hours and look at boards but can't do shit on any of them. I'm the same way with guitars. Never tried to play one, but love looking at them. Guitars and boards are just sexy in terms of craftsmanship.
peelout
4/6/2015 2:59pm Edited Date/Time 4/6/2015 3:00pm
i won a Pabst Blue Ribbon edition long-board at a big charity thing last November. i took it out and had a few good sessions down some hills in my area. one of my friends told me i was dumb for riding it, that it's a collectors item. i told him to fuck off, they don't build skate-boards to look at.

some awesome videos and pics in this thread. i never learned how to board, i can long-board decent, but i have a ton of respect for anyone that can ride a skateboard even half-decent.
sumdood
Fantasy
1282nd
4/7/2015 9:01am
ocscottie wrote:
Check out some of the trick shit in this vid, mind boggling! Blink

https://youtu.be/mFoGHeMxuzA
Wow that guy definitely thinks outside the box, some of that was pretty sketchy Blink

Here's a short video my kids friends made for him, I think they rented the camera, it was some mega expensive high tech slow motion set up, I don't know much about cameras haha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B65R6bJtLwQ

His buddy is the guy who makes he Fat Seal Saturday videos. Dirty Britches your Mom was smart, that board looks a death trap lol. Remember a wise man once said, "The smaller the wheels it has, the more dangerous it is" hahaha...true dat !
ocscottie
4/7/2015 11:27pm
"Wow that guy definitely thinks outside the box"

How freakin trippy was it when the threw his board into the hole/bowl and landed on it when it came out? I had to re watch that about 5 or 6 times. The progression of street skating is mind blowing.
sumdood
Fantasy
1282nd
4/8/2015 5:16pm
ocscottie wrote:
[i]"Wow that guy definitely thinks outside the box"[/i] How freakin trippy was it when the threw his board into the hole/bowl and landed on it when...
"Wow that guy definitely thinks outside the box"

How freakin trippy was it when the threw his board into the hole/bowl and landed on it when it came out? I had to re watch that about 5 or 6 times. The progression of street skating is mind blowing.
I watched that a couple times too. The thing about those videos is you usually don't see the failed attempts, I wonder how many tries it takes to pull some of that stuff ?. My kid goes "filming" quite a bit and always has some bruises or strawberry, he sticks to the sheets every morning, and not in a good way.... I've seen some of his failed attempts, it's hard to watch as a parent. We bombed hills and skated pools and drainage ditches and whatnot, but the new school skating where they're flying downstairs and sliding down rails, trying to clear gaps and shit is off the hook compared to what we did. I was sponsored by a local surf shop in the late 70's. I won a contest once by doing 360's and a Bertleman turn, I'd get laughed out of the park now.
I still have my jersey though...Laughing

Post a reply to: Skateboarding

The Latest