Security cams?

GuyB
Fantasy
988th
Edited Date/Time 12/7/2018 9:24pm
What's your favorite brand?

Hard-wired or battery?

Good software/apps?

Do you need to do a subscription service for storage or...?

How many cameras are ideal? We've got a fairly small condo. I'm thinking one in the living room that would cover garage/front door entry, plus the living room. Maybe one for the back patio.

I've been threatening to do this for a while. It'd make my girlfriend a lot happier about being able to see whether her girls are throwing a party while we're away. Wink
|
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
12/3/2018 2:26pm
I posted this in another thread a couple months ago. If you have 20 minutes I'd suggest you watch the show below.

It might be things you already know about or maybe you and others will learn something new.

https://youtu.be/-P0rSnt2HSU
ocscottie
12/3/2018 2:44pm
We have a Ring doorbell and i love it, i think they now also have cams, might be worth checking out Gibby.
ocscottie
12/3/2018 2:57pm
I have a pretty funny security cam story...at my old house when i was in the "plant sales" business *wink* I had a full CCD cam setup in my house, i could lay in bed and watch the living room/entry way, driveway and walkway to the front door. We had this all setup, my friend wanted to bang his chick on the pool table in the living room, but she wouldnt do it because of the camera, so he went up to the camera, winked at me and pretended to unplug it, and they proceeded to do the dirty deed right there on the pool table while i watched, i was laughing my ass off.

The Shop

TXDirt
12/3/2018 3:04pm
You could probably use Ring cameras and doorbell and/or those Arlo wireless cameras for what you need. Ring requires a small monthly subscription to be able to be able to review historical recordings. It's pretty cheap.
AZ35
Fantasy
544th
12/3/2018 5:49pm
If you only want to use them when you leave the house, the Arlo system is pretty cheap (Costco) and are wireless.

The app is free, they are only motion sensor to record (they only record a short clip of activity and send you an email notification). But using the app you can check live video anytime if you just want to check on the house.

I leave mine off most of the time (to not wear out the battery plus the constant notifications drive you crazy). But if we leave town for the weekend I turn them on to keep an eye on things.

So if you just want to turn them on when you are gone, it is easy to do from the app and they serve the purpose. Also waterproof so inside or outside is fine. Night vision is pretty crappy so not much help in the dark.
Wildeye511
12/3/2018 8:21pm Edited Date/Time 12/3/2018 8:23pm
We have the Arlo system. Its battery and works well. The one on the inside is always plugged in so when one of the other 3 start getting low I just swap the batteries. Pretty easy to set up too.

Oh and like AZ35 said, there is no fee with it. Your videos are stored for a week, so if something happens you just download it so you can save it.
FLmxer
Fantasy
898th
12/3/2018 10:33pm
I have 17 cameras and a Clear Channel channel DVR. It has a great free app for our phones and it's on all our TVs. They are great to have. I recently saw my neighbors kid ride through my driveway and his busted out gripped handlebar scratched my kids week old car. He rode back and studied ithe big scratch real hard then seemed to have a short lived flash of guilt and walked his bike towards my front door and got scared and jumped back on his bike and slipped a pedal and bounces his bike twice off my wife's car. I went and woke up his rockstar dad and he said not his kid, so I showed him the video on my phone. He was pissed but I told him to go easy. I didnt even make him pay for it as I have scratch insurance and the kid came and apologized.
bradnelson
12/4/2018 5:59am
ocscottie wrote:
I have a pretty funny security cam story...at my old house when i was in the "plant sales" business *wink* I had a full CCD cam...
I have a pretty funny security cam story...at my old house when i was in the "plant sales" business *wink* I had a full CCD cam setup in my house, i could lay in bed and watch the living room/entry way, driveway and walkway to the front door. We had this all setup, my friend wanted to bang his chick on the pool table in the living room, but she wouldnt do it because of the camera, so he went up to the camera, winked at me and pretended to unplug it, and they proceeded to do the dirty deed right there on the pool table while i watched, i was laughing my ass off.
Scottie !!! Shame, shame.......... Silly
JAFO92
12/4/2018 6:49am
I have 10 Arlos all over my place.
12/4/2018 7:15am Edited Date/Time 12/4/2018 7:18am
I have a system but it isn’t connected to the internet. Alerts me when I’m home. It’s ok for me because everything’s insured if I’m not home. It also records. So I got some evidence to show insurance company I was actually robbed etc.... But if I am home I’d like to know if I gotta defend my family.

My neighbor has ARLO. Gets updates and what not. Says he likes it. I’m dabbling in doing some external arlo. But nothing internal.
bh84
Fantasy
1830th
12/4/2018 7:18am
Check out Wyze cam Gibby. its $40 on Amazon and its an HD camera with a motion sensor that notifies you when it detects movement and has 2-way voice communication. We use them at work as an add on to our regular security cam system.
SweetDaddy
12/4/2018 8:34am
I have a Lorex 16 channel 8 camera 5mp with 3TB 4k HDD NVR, Use my TV as monitor and can also view on my phone with no $ charge. Hard wired. Warning: read the customer feedback on the battery powered cameras - some of them the charge only lasts a week.
Jimmy638
12/4/2018 10:44am Edited Date/Time 12/5/2018 3:15pm
AZ35 wrote:
If you only want to use them when you leave the house, the Arlo system is pretty cheap (Costco) and are wireless. The app is free...
If you only want to use them when you leave the house, the Arlo system is pretty cheap (Costco) and are wireless.

The app is free, they are only motion sensor to record (they only record a short clip of activity and send you an email notification). But using the app you can check live video anytime if you just want to check on the house.

I leave mine off most of the time (to not wear out the battery plus the constant notifications drive you crazy). But if we leave town for the weekend I turn them on to keep an eye on things.

So if you just want to turn them on when you are gone, it is easy to do from the app and they serve the purpose. Also waterproof so inside or outside is fine. Night vision is pretty crappy so not much help in the dark.
Arlo is what we use, you can leave the cameras on and turn off notifications if thats what bothers you.
You can have up to six cameras for free then it costs after that but a way to get around that is to have six cameras on one email then another six on another email...ect
JRT812
12/4/2018 1:11pm
we use Arlo as well
seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
12/4/2018 1:36pm
I have Blink security cameras (wireless) and dig it. I have it set to alert me if the garage senses motion and I also randomly view the house cameras to spy on my dog.
gnarwhip
12/4/2018 6:33pm
Friend of mine is a cop and he uses a Ring and loves it.
FlickitFlat
Fantasy
662nd
12/4/2018 6:38pm
You might check out some of the systems on www.tigerdirect.com. I bought a 10 camera system from them about 5 years ago. Things are more advanced now but they did everything they said they would do at a fraction of the cost. I think my system is Night Owl brand.
NvHermit
Fantasy
4303rd
12/5/2018 5:38am
SweetDaddy wrote:
I have a Lorex 16 channel 8 camera 5mp with 3TB 4k HDD NVR, Use my TV as monitor and can also view on my phone...
I have a Lorex 16 channel 8 camera 5mp with 3TB 4k HDD NVR, Use my TV as monitor and can also view on my phone with no $ charge. Hard wired. Warning: read the customer feedback on the battery powered cameras - some of them the charge only lasts a week.
I also have a hard wired Lorex with 16 cameras. It's always running plus the video is much better than a wireless system
Beeby
12/5/2018 7:54am
GuyB wrote:
What's your favorite brand? Hard-wired or battery? Good software/apps? Do you need to do a subscription service for storage or...? How many cameras are ideal? We've...
What's your favorite brand?

Hard-wired or battery?

Good software/apps?

Do you need to do a subscription service for storage or...?

How many cameras are ideal? We've got a fairly small condo. I'm thinking one in the living room that would cover garage/front door entry, plus the living room. Maybe one for the back patio.

I've been threatening to do this for a while. It'd make my girlfriend a lot happier about being able to see whether her girls are throwing a party while we're away. Wink
I've got a few Wyze cameras. I also live in a condo. I have one in my main living area, one on my back deck and one in my bike room.

They are really good for the (low) money and I've had zero issues with them so far. They need power, so I had to run some longer USB cables but apart from that they are wifi and as long as you set strong passwords on the apps and your router you are relatively good to go.

The back deck one is actually outside, its an indoor camera but I mounted it under the deck of the unit above me and its survived the Chicago weather so far.

There is no subscription, you just put micro USB cards in them and it backs the video up to that and you can view it through the app and it stores movement events to the cloud.
Beeby
12/5/2018 7:59am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
I posted this in another thread a couple months ago. If you have 20 minutes I'd suggest you watch the show below. It might be things...
I posted this in another thread a couple months ago. If you have 20 minutes I'd suggest you watch the show below.

It might be things you already know about or maybe you and others will learn something new.

https://youtu.be/-P0rSnt2HSU
You can apply security vulnerability scare mongering to anything that is internet connected. People are so concerned about people watching them and nervous to get smart home devices, yet they've probably done internet banking for 10 years. I'd sooner have someone watch me watching my tv on my couch than take my savings.

Advice is the same for everything: Unique and strong passwords, encryption on everything and be careful who you share stuff with.

My family business has been home security for nearly 40 years. To me, being able to see who could be in my home on the internet outweighs the risks of someone watching me. When our family business started the burglar alarm was a novelty and you relied on your neighbors taking note of the alarm going off.
FLmxer
Fantasy
898th
12/5/2018 8:55am
About 15 years ago I bought a 2 cam system with monitor at lowes for 39.99. It was amazing. It had super speaker pick up and I could hear footsteps coming down my road and literally hear my neighbors full conversations clear as can be if their windows were open. They had a great picture and decent night vision. My new system doesn't have sound but sound was an excellent option.
I also have the pet sitter cams in a few places and from my phone I can monitor them, control a laser light and they can here me talk to them. It also shoots treats out.
12/5/2018 12:10pm Edited Date/Time 12/5/2018 12:11pm
WYZE camera from Amazon. $25. I have 3. Using the app, you get instant live view. Put a 4gb microSD card and it will record about 7 days worth of data, then go back and overwrite itself.
no subscription.
hard wired.
indoor/outdoor with special case.
automatic night vision.
built in speaker so you can talk through it.
get notified of motion if you want (turned mine off at night because the bats and spiders kept triggering it).
Ring doorbell is nice, but by the time I answer, the person is long gone. The reception sucks. I've tried everything (my entire house is "smart" setup. AC/Furnace, all lights, garage door).
Never have problem with WYZE camera's.
Looking forward to putting one in the pool changing house.
DoctorJD
12/5/2018 1:05pm
Wildeye511 wrote:
We have the Arlo system. Its battery and works well. The one on the inside is always plugged in so when one of the other 3...
We have the Arlo system. Its battery and works well. The one on the inside is always plugged in so when one of the other 3 start getting low I just swap the batteries. Pretty easy to set up too.

Oh and like AZ35 said, there is no fee with it. Your videos are stored for a week, so if something happens you just download it so you can save it.
I have the Arlo cameras, as well. I finally ended up positioning them where I had outlets so I wouldn't have to keep charging them. I really like them, although it gets annoying getting an email alert every time my dog walks by my garage camera...which is a lot.
VicDaMoan03
12/5/2018 1:14pm
I use fake cameras - they're cheap and I think they deter a good portion of the potential thieves. Usually they are looking for the easiest least resistance house.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
12/6/2018 7:59pm
Thanks, gang. I've got some reading to do. Wink

Post a reply to: Security cams?

The Latest