Muscle cramps

Related:
Create New Tag

12/27/2020 10:51 AM

You guys know any tricks to help with muscle cramps ? We’re trying electrolytes, magnesium, potassium and water. The calf on my good leg is balling up like a rock and making things more difficult than they should be. Any secrets besides what I already listed ? I’m sure not using it fo 2 weeks probably hasn’t helped either. Thanks

|

12/27/2020 10:58 AM

Are you getting enough mineral Magnesium?

|

Non Gratum Anus Rodentum

12/27/2020 10:59 AM

Creatine.

|

Lover. Fighter. Wild Bull Rider.

12/27/2020 11:11 AM

Just started with magnesium this morning. I’ll google creatine thanks. Seems stupid the freakin muscle cramping is worse than the surgery pain but its an issue because those are the parts I’m supposed to be using.

|

12/27/2020 11:56 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/27/2020 11:58 AM

Try taking a one or two Tums. They have always helped me with cramping when weight training. Also, creatine monohydrate. Just make sure you stay very hydrated if you take creatine.

|

12/27/2020 12:17 PM

Ice muscles maybe?

|

12/27/2020 1:08 PM

Boomslang wrote:

Are you getting enough mineral Magnesium?

This. I need to take supplements or I cramp all the time.

|

12/27/2020 2:12 PM

SKIDLID wrote:

Ice muscles maybe?

Been using the ice machine on the affected leg. It’s the left leg, it’s very swollen. Since this morning I can move my ankle now so hopefully we’re getting somewhere. It’s no joke, Thanks as always for your help. 👍

|

12/27/2020 5:42 PM

Pickle juice. Crazy, but it works.

|

2018 KTM 250sx
Instagram CamaroAJ

12/27/2020 5:56 PM

AJ565 wrote:

Pickle juice. Crazy, but it works.

^^^ Pickle juice is the best.

|

12/27/2020 6:11 PM

Leg cramps made by hylands, sold at Walmart. Works the best. Liquid magnesium also. A women told me french,s yellow mustard, never tried it tho. Ever since my back surgery, my left calf and foot cramp bad.

|

12/27/2020 6:50 PM

Is leg cramping an age thing? My frequency of calf cramps seems to be increasing with age and it sucks.

|

12/27/2020 7:06 PM

Bananas help too - what is your body fat percentage? Too little and you’re dehydrated most likely.

Also blood pressure meds can cause some great cramping episodes after a workout- ask me how I know.

|

12/28/2020 5:20 AM

Workout ... what is this thing you speak of ... sounds painful. I'll avoid it. Yes cramps increase with age. If you get them frequently(I do in the summer after I work outside) fluids are the best defense. Water being the most effective. Downside is the frequency of urination. If you aren't going every hour you're not drinking enough. Mineral supplements help but ain't no replacin hydration!!
I would eat 2 pickles every day on Millville national week and have no juice left as a swig or two to horrified onlookers accompanied the pickle.
So pickles(and juice), bananas, pedialyte, magnesium and mostly water.
And hey you ain't that one emptying that bottle so filll'er up Bill !!!

|

12/28/2020 5:32 AM

Look up RhabdoMyolsis. Can be caused by sever dehydration (not me!) or even trauma events (me) among other issues. Maybe something similar to what your experiencing since your surgery/injury.

Broke my femur racing when I was 14. From then on, would get Rhabdo all the time during football games in HS, working out, etc. Would start in a calf or hamstring, then my whole body would lock up and I'd go to the hospital. Since the first time it happened when I was 15 I drink more water than anyone you know, unfortunately hydration isn't the reason it happens to me.

Still cramp from time to time but nothing over the top now, I've kind of figured out how to manage it. Hope you can get some insight from that and your research with Rhabdo.

|

12/28/2020 5:57 AM

Johnny Lock wrote:

Bananas help too - what is your body fat percentage? Too little and you’re dehydrated most likely.

Also blood pressure meds can cause some great cramping episodes after a workout- ask me how I know.

I’ve noticed with decrease in bf, the need for hydration. Fingers start locking first when I’m dehydrated. Freakin cold all the time also.

|

Lover. Fighter. Wild Bull Rider.

12/28/2020 6:08 AM

I heard of a pro golfer, his dr told him to eat potato chips, for his severe dehydration. My left foot will be locked curled down, cramped bad, along with my calf. It wakes me up, from a deep sleep. No choice, I have to take 3 leg cramp all natural pills, made by hylands. A vitamin expert, will tell ya there like aspirin for a head ace.

|

12/28/2020 8:05 AM

Ditch the sugary sports drinks and try Coconut Water.

|

12/28/2020 4:39 PM

Since it’s your uninjured leg I think movement, stretching and massage would help. Blood flow will alleviate the cramps, right? Your attitude is awesome. No sitting around sulking. You’re going to overcome any challenge no doubt.

|

12/28/2020 6:08 PM

Nighttrain wrote:

Since it’s your uninjured leg I think movement, stretching and massage would help. Blood flow will alleviate the cramps, right? Your attitude is awesome. No sitting around sulking. You’re going to overcome any challenge no doubt.

It’s gotten better since I originally posted. It’s “unbroken” but not sure about uninjured. The swelling hadn’t gone down a whole lot but the bruising is subsiding. They x-rayed it, did an ultra sound scan but getting any info has been futile. I’m guessing I’ll get a follow appointment soon but so far getting any info has been a lesson in frustration. Photo
Photo

|

12/28/2020 7:41 PM

Yikes, sorry, I misread. Ask the healthcare professionals about cramps in that leg.

Check out the Netflix thread in Non-Moto. Lots of good recommendations there to burn some time.

|

12/28/2020 9:41 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/28/2020 9:44 PM

Is it warm and swollen ?

This is not medical advice. Could be a Blood clot (dvt). I wouldn’t stretch and massage until they get a ultrasound on the leg to look for clot. I know you’re home already. I’d call the number on your follow up discharge paperwork and tell them what’s going on see what they want you to do.

|

GP740
Since 1987

12/28/2020 9:46 PM

Wait are you home or back in the hospital?

|

GP740
Since 1987

12/28/2020 10:13 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/28/2020 10:15 PM

GeorgiePorgie wrote:

Wait are you home or back in the hospital?

I’m home. They did the ultra sound in the hospital and had me pump my ankle up and down. It made these whooshing sounds when I moved my ankle. I’ve been giving myself lovinox blood thinner injections since I got home so hopefully not a clot. The knee was already bone on bone and tore up before the crash, but it’s still super swollen and I can feel the joint move around. In home PT starts tomorrow I’m hoping they’ll have some info from the doctor. It sucks because that’s the leg I need to use to get from the bed to the commode but it’s barely usable. I’ll post what PT says tomorrow.

|

12/29/2020 2:37 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/29/2020 2:39 AM

Ahh ok. I assumed good leg meant 100% leg. Lol. Good you’re on a heparin shot.

You’re doin everything right sounds like. Keep after it.

|

GP740
Since 1987

12/29/2020 12:02 PM

That PT is gonna be great ! !
Remember, if you ain't cry'n you ain't try'n !!!
Had a bitch of a psycho PT "lady" (< I use that term loosely) tell me that when I was rehabin my tib break.
Let us know how it goes and if you need anything!

|

12/29/2020 2:21 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/29/2020 2:24 PM

As mentioned above, pickle juice works for me.
Some company was coming out with synthetic pickle juice but I
forget the name.

I thinks this was it

https://www.outsideonline.com/2085626/end-muscle-cramps

or this one

https://www.outsideonline.com/2026376/could-flex-pharma-be-final-cure-muscle-cramps

|

Avoiding JS7 threads since 3/7/17.

12/29/2020 5:12 PM

Had my first PT today. Faaaaaaawwk......

|

12/29/2020 5:22 PM

sumdood wrote:

Had my first PT today. Faaaaaaawwk......

Remember cheaters heal faster! I graduated my pt yesterday. Hopefully I get my insurance company to ok a MRI finally now.

|

12/29/2020 5:48 PM

It was mentioned above. I've never tried it but my Dad does a table spoon of yellow mustard before going to bed and swears by it.

|