Movie Discussion

Related:
Create New Tag

12/13/2017 1:09 PM

I know we already have a thread for movie trailers, but I think having a separate thread for general movie discussion is necessary (don't want the trailer thread to get flooded with text).

So yeah, anything movie related can be posted here: thoughts, news, everything else.

|

Contact Me

Instagram (@gdawson243)

Snapchat: gdawson2

12/13/2017 1:10 PM

... a close friends movie is debuting opening night at Sundance this year. Pretty fucking stoked for that guy right now.

Other than that – really excited to see 'The Disaster Artist' and Dunkirk when it comes back to theaters later this year.

|

12/13/2017 1:11 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/13/2017 1:13 PM

It's been pretty quiet recently as far as new releases go, but Star Wars: The Last Jedi is coming out this weekend. Looks like it's gonna be a good time, too, considering it's holding at a solid 94% (with an average rating of 8.2) on Rotten Tomatoes. It's also expected to absolutely destroy at the box office.

The excitement is real.

|

Contact Me

Instagram (@gdawson243)

12/13/2017 1:13 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/13/2017 1:14 PM

akillerwombat wrote:

... a close friends movie is debuting opening night at Sundance this year. Pretty fucking stoked for that guy right now.

Other than that – really excited to see 'The Disaster Artist' and Dunkirk when it comes back to theaters later this year.

I'm actually planning on watching The Room this weekend so I can go see The Disaster Artist soon. Looking forward to it.

Pretty neat that one of your friends is debuting a movie at Sundance this year. Very exciting for him.

|

Contact Me

Instagram (@gdawson243)

12/13/2017 1:23 PM

why did that cop have to such a dick to Rambo?.....if he just would of just said good morning and and left it at that...that whole town would not of gotten blown up and some lives saved...no he had to keep goin...."You know, wearing that flag on that jacket, looking the way you do, you're asking for trouble around here, friend.".."If you want some friendly advice, get a haircut and take a bath. You wouldn't get hassled so much."....what a f'n dickhead.

|

scte3.0 pro-line trinity tekin

12/13/2017 2:35 PM

dsmith wrote:

why did that cop have to such a dick to Rambo?.....if he just would of just said good morning and and left it at that...that whole town would not of gotten blown up and some lives saved...no he had to keep goin...."You know, wearing that flag on that jacket, looking the way you do, you're asking for trouble around here, friend.".."If you want some friendly advice, get a haircut and take a bath. You wouldn't get hassled so much."....what a f'n dickhead.

The last person you want to fck with is Rambo.

|

I have the right to remain awesome.

12/13/2017 3:30 PM

dsmith wrote:

Photo

|

12/13/2017 3:37 PM

akillerwombat wrote:

GD2 wrote:

I'm actually planning on watching The Room this weekend so I can go see The Disaster Artist soon. Looking forward to it.

Pretty neat that one of your friends is debuting a movie at Sundance this year. Very exciting for him.

I think it's funny that The Disaster Artist didn't do well with test audiences, because they had a tough time believing it was a true story...

http://mashable.com/2017/12/11/the-disaster-artist-untrue/#nPda9aW2ePqQ

|

12/13/2017 5:56 PM

GD2 wrote:

It's been pretty quiet recently as far as new releases go, but Star Wars: The Last Jedi is coming out this weekend. Looks like it's gonna be a good time, too, considering it's holding at a solid 94% (with an average rating of 8.2) on Rotten Tomatoes. It's also expected to absolutely destroy at the box office.

The excitement is real.

"It's been pretty quiet recently as far as new releases go"... True and mainly family movies with the holidays.
I look forward seeing
">READY PLAYER ONE on the big screen in the cinema, science fiction is not really my genre but hey it's Steven Spielberg and on top of that I think it reflect the current zeitgeist...
|

12/13/2017 6:29 PM

GD2 wrote:

The excitement is real.

How can the new Star Wars be rated on Rotten Tomatoes already?

|

“Adhering to 1970’s Standards of Political Correctness”

12/13/2017 7:05 PM

Watched this the other day. Pretty good flick with Jake Gyllenhaal about a dude who lost his legs in the Boston Marathon bombing, some parts kinda hit pretty close to home with me. Worth the watch for sure.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3881784/

You can watch it here: https://solarmoviez.ru/movie/stronger-22893.html just be sure and have adblock and practice safe surfing habits whistling You can see almost any movie there.

|

-OC
"Feed The Bull"
Twitter: @ocscottie | Facebook

12/13/2017 7:28 PM

FYI, “Brawl in cell block 99” will be on Amazon Prime streaming service at the end of this month.

|

much ty. How to spot a paid forum poster/artificial forum traffic producer (see list of actions/phrases below):

Copius pattern amounts of phrases like “Anyone have”..., “Anybody know?”.... and their variations.

Thoughts?
Any help is appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

12/14/2017 7:06 AM

GD2 wrote:

The excitement is real.

Reese95w wrote:

The review embargo lifted on Tuesday, so all of the major publications released their reviews.

|

Contact Me

Instagram (@gdawson243)

12/14/2017 7:07 AM

kzizok wrote:

FYI, “Brawl in cell block 99” will be on Amazon Prime streaming service at the end of this month.

Nice, i want to watch that one.

|

12/14/2017 7:29 AM

What are some underrated movies?

I’ll give one.

October Sky

Great flick that never got a lot of press.

|

12/14/2017 7:51 AM

GD2 wrote:

The excitement is real.

Reese95w wrote:

GD2 wrote:

The review embargo lifted on Tuesday, so all of the major publications released their reviews.

I haven't seen it but from what I can gather is that it is a very good movie that is pretty much pointless as far as the the Star Wars saga goes. Seems the director and Disney decided to make their own thing out of it and with no regard for the history, the original characters or back story. It's a good movie that pretty much destroys the Star Wars story so Disney can have a clean slate to do what they want with the Star Wars brand.

|

12/14/2017 8:22 AM

Reese95w wrote:

GD2 wrote:

gabrielito wrote:

I haven't seen it but from what I can gather is that it is a very good movie that is pretty much pointless as far as the the Star Wars saga goes. Seems the director and Disney decided to make their own thing out of it and with no regard for the history, the original characters or back story. It's a good movie that pretty much destroys the Star Wars story so Disney can have a clean slate to do what they want with the Star Wars brand.

Well, that's half true. Things that happened before Return of the Jedi are still true and consistent with the story line Disney is continuing with. The entire expanded universe that followed in books and graphic novels got changed though. JJ Abrams and Disney completely threw all that out and continued down a different path.

|

12/14/2017 9:09 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/14/2017 9:11 AM

GD2 wrote:

gabrielito wrote:

Shawn142 wrote:

Well, that's half true. Things that happened before Return of the Jedi are still true and consistent with the story line Disney is continuing with. The entire expanded universe that followed in books and graphic novels got changed though. JJ Abrams and Disney completely threw all that out and continued down a different path.

It's not that they aren't consistent but the other movies and characters become much less relevant to the story going forward. Abrams played it safe and kept continuity. The Last Jedi director made something that is unnecessary to watch as far as going into the next movie and really minimized the connection to the originals. The characters are over the top force wise and it comes across as more like the Avengers/X-men characters. That's what I can gather from the Star Wars nerds forum anyway. Those dudes are way more hardcore about Star Wars than we are about MX, so I trust what they say but will see for myself. They seem to think it's going to implode the internet once people realize what they did to it. But again the movie itself is supposed to be great it's just very bad strory altering on the macro level.

|

12/14/2017 9:45 AM

Ah, yea I haven't looked into reviews of the new movie yet. I like the director, his previous stuff has been really good. But I've never seen him try to fit his style into a series like this. But the one thing I did hear is it's nothing like you'd expect going in.

|

12/14/2017 9:51 AM

GD2 wrote:

The excitement is real.

heard The Last Jedi is the best Star Wars since Empire Strikes Back.

i'm excited as hell to experience it. i hate the theatre though, so i may skip and wait for BluRay... or go one of the last days it's in the theatre.

|

12/14/2017 9:56 AM

watched American History X the other night... man... what a performance my Ed Norton.

|

12/14/2017 10:07 AM

peelout wrote:

watched American History X the other night... man... what a performance my Ed Norton.

Yeah that’s an awesome movie. Hard to believe it was released almost 20 years ago!

That curb stomp scene!!! Yikes!!

|

12/14/2017 11:32 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/14/2017 11:32 AM

peelout wrote:

Every time someone mentions the "Put your mouth on the curb." scene all I can think about is the sound of the dude's teeth making contact with the curb. Brutal.

|

Contact Me

Instagram (@gdawson243)

12/14/2017 12:06 PM

kzizok wrote:

Good flick, trippy role for Vince Vaughn, shows his versatility.

|

-OC
"Feed The Bull"
Twitter: @ocscottie | Facebook

12/17/2017 12:43 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/17/2017 12:43 PM

Shawn142 wrote:

I think that the decision to wipe the slate clean and start with a new set of canon novels/comics was the right one. The expanded universe was pretty awesome, but it was hard to tell what exactly was true and what wasn't. With the new direction, everything that is released is canon unless otherwise stated. It makes it much easier to follow and learn more about characters and the universe as a whole.

Just what I think. I understand why some hardcore fans hate the new direction.

|

Contact Me

Instagram (@gdawson243)

12/17/2017 12:52 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/17/2017 1:05 PM

gabrielito wrote:

Shawn142 wrote:

gabrielito wrote:

It's not that they aren't consistent but the other movies and characters become much less relevant to the story going forward. Abrams played it safe and kept continuity. The Last Jedi director made something that is unnecessary to watch as far as going into the next movie and really minimized the connection to the originals. The characters are over the top force wise and it comes across as more like the Avengers/X-men characters. That's what I can gather from the Star Wars nerds forum anyway. Those dudes are way more hardcore about Star Wars than we are about MX, so I trust what they say but will see for myself. They seem to think it's going to implode the internet once people realize what they did to it. But again the movie itself is supposed to be great it's just very bad strory altering on the macro level.

It's definitely not unnecessary to watch before heading into the next movie...some pretty important stuff goes down.

Is the first third (maybe even closer to half) of the movie pretty slow? Absolutely, but it pays off big time in the last act.

The Last Jedi took some risks and stepped outside the comfort zone of a typical Star Wars movie, and it's paying the price for doing so with some over-the-top fans. I thought it was great, and I like the direction the story is going.

I do see how it can be looked at as completely ignoring the original trilogy. And yes, to a certain extent it does, but the fault of that primarily falls on The Force Awakens. It was pretty clear that they were taking some bits from the original trilogy, taking a time jump, and starting a relatively new story with shades of the old story. I think that's a big reason why so many hardcore fans are struggling to accept the new trilogy, because it's not a direct continuation of the original trilogy.

As far as the characters being over the top force wise... Well, yeah. Rey and Kylo are meant to be two of the most powerful (raw) force users in a long, long time, and Luke being overpowered is not a surprise at all. In some of the expanded universe stuff (which isn't canon now, but can still be used to kind of make sense of it), Luke was insanely powerful.

I like to think of myself as a pretty big fan of the saga, but my goodness some people really get their panties in a bunch if the property isn't handled exactly how they want it to be. (Not talking about you. I'm talking about the ultra-fanboys.)

|

Contact Me

Instagram (@gdawson243)

12/17/2017 12:57 PM

GD2 wrote:

The excitement is real.

The Star Wars franchise owes me an apology. They owe as all one. The last movie in this current run to Last Jedi was a "replay". It was the whole "Death Star" gig all pave again.

And...they killed off Han.
And...tried to reinvent Darth Vader.
Then there's Beach Ball 8.

Yup, I want my apology...like the kids on Southpark...they went to Mel Gibson's house and DEMANDED thier money back!laughing

|

I ripped a start from Egypt and I was happy about that.

12/17/2017 1:00 PM

Oh...and...I almost forgot...

Tombstone
Dr. Strangelove

They're so good that they're even in my phone.

|

I ripped a start from Egypt and I was happy about that.

12/17/2017 2:41 PM

dsmith wrote:

|

12/17/2017 3:21 PM

peelout wrote:

Awesome movie, very underrated I think because the subject matter. One of the best performance I've seen from Ed Norton

|