Movie Discussion

GD2
Fantasy
1081st
2/18/2018 3:54pm
sleeve1 wrote:
My son and I went to the Black Panther movie. It wasn't bad but the whole time I was watching it I was thinking to myself...
My son and I went to the Black Panther movie. It wasn't bad but the whole time I was watching it I was thinking to myself that this is a set up movie for a series of them.
All Marvel movies are set up movies in some form or fashion.
Deja New
2/20/2018 3:33am
Awesome flicks that didn’t really do well at the box office,
Shawshank redemption
Hudson hawk
Kingpin
The hudsucker proxy
Just to name a few worth watching
Firefly47
2/20/2018 6:59am
dsmith wrote:
why did that cop have to such a dick to Rambo?.....if he just would of just said good morning and and left it at that...that whole...
why did that cop have to such a dick to Rambo?.....if he just would of just said good morning and and left it at that...that whole town would not of gotten blown up and some lives saved...no he had to keep goin...."You know, wearing that flag on that jacket, looking the way you do, you're asking for trouble around here, friend.".."If you want some friendly advice, get a haircut and take a bath. You wouldn't get hassled so much."....what a f'n dickhead.
SCR wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/12/13/231461/s1200_images.jpg[/img]

JPT wrote:
There is a tendency to forget what a good movie this was because of how cartoonist the sequels became. The same for the original Rocky.
Good book, too.
dsmith
Fantasy
1470th
2/20/2018 9:50am
I watched "the commuter" last night...pretty good...I liked it...no cussing...hard to find a good movie these days with no cussing....

The Shop

JustMX
2/22/2018 6:02pm Edited Date/Time 2/22/2018 6:16pm
Several that I have seen lately

Wind river - a Jeremy Renner movie that is very well done. Moves a little slow at times but holy shit, a couple of intense scenes, and Renner plays the character really well.

The hitman's body guard - not going to win any Oscars but Ryan Reynolds and Samuel l Jackson are pretty freaking funny together.

Hacksaw ridge - was a pretty big disappointment.
I read Desmond doss' book when I was a teenager and there was just so much imbelleshment and most was overacted. The story is impressive enough. It is.too bad they felt like they had to add to it while leaving out factual events that they felt were "unbelieveable". The best example would be that he gets shot resulting in a shattered left arm after already being wounded by the grenade, gives up his stretcher to another soldier that he gives aid to, and crawls 300 yards through fire after splinting his arm with a rifle butt.
TXDirt
2/22/2018 6:06pm
JustMX wrote:
Several that I have seen lately Wind river - a Jeremy Renner movie that is very well done. Moves a little slow at times but holy...
Several that I have seen lately

Wind river - a Jeremy Renner movie that is very well done. Moves a little slow at times but holy shit, a couple of intense scenes, and Renner plays the character really well.

The hitman's body guard - not going to win any Oscars but Ryan Reynolds and Samuel l Jackson are pretty freaking funny together.

Hacksaw ridge - was a pretty big disappointment.
I read Desmond doss' book when I was a teenager and there was just so much imbelleshment and most was overacted. The story is impressive enough. It is.too bad they felt like they had to add to it while leaving out factual events that they felt were "unbelieveable". The best example would be that he gets shot resulting in a shattered left arm after already being wounded by the grenade, gives up his stretcher to another soldier that he gives aid to, and crawls 300 yards through fire after splinting his arm with a rifle butt.
Hitmans bodyguard was good.
dsmith
Fantasy
1470th
2/22/2018 7:29pm
do NOT watch accident man .... LOL
Stephon
2/23/2018 4:00pm Edited Date/Time 2/23/2018 4:02pm
I get these in the mail from my union, but rarely, if ever watch movies at home.

Seeing The Commuter tonight, really excited to see Black Panther tomorrow. Saw 15:17 to Paris last week. Interesting, loved the heroic aspect, but much of it felt like an after school special to me.

71Fish
2/23/2018 5:27pm
Saw a movie called "Oldboy" last night. It's a remake from a Japanese movie. Crazy story but the fight scenes were video game. F'd up climax, no pun intended.
Mr. G
2/23/2018 5:47pm
This is a good way to scare your director. I wonder what his insurance costs?
Mr. G
2/23/2018 5:49pm
Here is something different.
Mr. G
2/23/2018 5:53pm
Is this last one not Tarantino like?
FastEddy
Fantasy
944th
2/23/2018 8:19pm
12 Strong was a pretty good movie.
Based on a true story and worth watching.
I highly recommend it especially if you enjoyed Love Survivor or American sniper.

https://youtu.be/-Denciie5oA
Stephon
2/23/2018 9:41pm
FastEddy wrote:
12 Strong was a pretty good movie. Based on a true story and worth watching. I highly recommend it especially if you enjoyed Love Survivor or...
12 Strong was a pretty good movie.
Based on a true story and worth watching.
I highly recommend it especially if you enjoyed Love Survivor or American sniper.

https://youtu.be/-Denciie5oA
I saw the movie and kept wondering why they weren't wearing helmets.
Stephon
2/23/2018 9:44pm
dsmith wrote:
I watched "the commuter" last night...pretty good...I liked it...no cussing...hard to find a good movie these days with no cussing....
I just saw it. He cursed...and gave the middle finger to the former Goldman Sachs guy on the train. Fun thriller, a bit far fetched, but fun to watch nonetheless.
GD2
Fantasy
1081st
2/23/2018 10:37pm
I saw Annihilation and Game Night tonight. Annihilation is a great sci-fi movie if you're into the weirder side of sci-fi. Game Night is just pure fun.
Sandberm
2/24/2018 2:00am
I saw Hostiles a few weeks ago. I liked it a lot but Mrs Sandberm thought it was too slow paced and actually fell asleep.

I enjoy character driven movies. Clint Eastwoods Midnight in The Garden of Good and Evil and Unforgiven are two examples.
sende
Fantasy
4455th
2/24/2018 3:53am Edited Date/Time 2/24/2018 3:56am
The Game of Thrones creators are set to write their own trilogy set in the Star Wars universe. Looking forward to it. The best Star Wars...
The Game of Thrones creators are set to write their own trilogy set in the Star Wars universe. Looking forward to it. The best Star Wars flicks tend to be darker (Empire Strikes Back, Rouge One).
I'm afraid that Star Wars is going to be totally ruined in the long run for making too many movies for that universe or should I say galaxy, haha.

However I'm gonna just ditch the prequels and say that Empire is the best and I really was pleasantly suprised about The Force Awakens. Yes, the plot was basically the same as New Hope but anyways. Interesting and charismatic new characters and that good old Star Wars feel to it. Very Well directed and cinematography was stellar too.
Daisy Ridley was perfect as Rey.

The Last Jedi on the other hand went in a totally wrong direction with it's slapstick humor and pointless subplots for example with Finn and Rose. So, yeah. Not so good. Though visually it was maybe the best Sar Wars movie to date.

BUT. Given that the two Darth Vader scenes were badass and visually it was very good, Rogue One was terrible.
It totally managed to miss any character development or back story so I would've feel invested. I didn't care at all what happens to the lead characters. Casting was bad as well and Saw Gerrera was just pointless. Animated Tarkin and Leia were weird too.

I'm gonna open my first beer for the day. Carry on.
FastEddy
Fantasy
944th
2/24/2018 10:19am Edited Date/Time 2/24/2018 10:28am
Stephon wrote:
I saw the movie and kept wondering why they weren't wearing helmets.
My guess...so they didn't standout. Smile
You think they would've worn more Afgan type attire to blend in more and carried weapons that were more common in that region too.

TXDirt
3/12/2018 7:00am
Watched "It Follows" on Netflix and that was a pretty good movie. One of the better scary movies I've seen in awhile.
GD2
Fantasy
1081st
3/17/2018 9:00am
Quick thoughts on some recent films:

Black Panther: 8/10 - Your typical Marvel film. It doesn't really do anything new and it ends exactly how you expect it to. It is cool to see more of Wakanda, though.

12 Strong: 6/10 - If you've been getting a little anxious for a military movie, this will fit the bill. It's not as good as the string of excellent military movies we had a few years ago, but you won't be disappointed.

Game Night: 8/10 - Pretty damn funny comedy. I think it did appeal to me a bit more since I do have game nights with my friends, but I think everyone will find this one enjoyable.

Annihilation: 8/10 - If you're into the weird side of sci-fi, this movie is for you. It moves at a bit of a slow pace but it's quite enthralling and gets pretty trippy towards the end.

Red Sparrow: 5/10 - This had potential to be a good spy thriller, but it ended up being a fairly boring movie. It's just disappointing because the idea seemed interesting and it had a solid cast, but it didn't pan out. I'd recommend skipping this one.

Tomb Raider: 6/10 - This is exactly what you'd expect from Tomb Raider. Lots of action, but a mediocre story and script. I will say that I found myself enjoying it, though.

Death Wish: 6/10 - The set up takes way too long (nearly half of the movie) and Bruce Willis phones it in throughout some of the movie, but once it gets to the actual point of the movie (the main character becoming a vigilante) it becomes a fairly enjoyable movie. I wouldn't pay full price to see this one again, but if you see it on the TV guide or on a streaming service, give it a shot.
davinson
4/28/2018 10:57am
Recently I watched the movie "The King's Speech". This is a film about the disposal of the King of Great Britain George VI from stammering with the help of speech therapist Lionel Logue. The film is about fighting fears, because all our failures are based precisely on this soil, that we don't have to reconcile ourselves with our problems, that we must solve them. There is a good review, which I found on https://answershark.com/writing/creating-review/movie-review-examples.h… and with its help I wrote my own. Highly recommend!
GD2
Fantasy
1081st
5/27/2018 5:51pm Edited Date/Time 5/27/2018 5:51pm
Solo was pretty good, way better than I expected. Bummer it basically bombed at the box office, though.
borg
5/27/2018 7:00pm
Movies I have seen recently that I would watch again:
The Accountant
American Psycho
Sin City

Movies I would not see again:
Dunkirk
Cell
The Informant

ATKpilot99
5/28/2018 6:20am
dsmith wrote:
Stephon wrote:
I just saw it. He cursed...and gave the middle finger to the former Goldman Sachs guy on the train. Fun thriller, a bit far fetched, but...
I just saw it. He cursed...and gave the middle finger to the former Goldman Sachs guy on the train. Fun thriller, a bit far fetched, but fun to watch nonetheless.
I recently saw this one too and I agree. Far fetched but I was entertained so that's ok with me.
Brad460
Fantasy
736th
5/28/2018 6:34am
borg wrote:
The Accountant
American Psycho
Sin City

Dunkirk
Cell
The Informant

Agreed on Dunkirk..I love war movies and this one was highly rated, but I got halfway through and turned something else on.

My daughter rented Baywatch (with the Rock) last night it was so cheesy we found ourselves laughing throughout the whole damn movie..Good to watch with the wife and kids..
jeffro503
5/28/2018 2:02pm
borg wrote:
The Accountant
American Psycho
Sin City

Dunkirk
Cell
The Informant

Man...I thought Dunkirk was incredible.
Ebs
5/28/2018 2:10pm Edited Date/Time 5/28/2018 2:13pm
Yeah, you got me on that one. I thought Dunkirk was great, The Accountant not so much (I turned it off halfway through).
71Fish
5/28/2018 2:30pm
davinson wrote:
Recently I watched the movie "The King's Speech". This is a film about the disposal of the King of Great Britain George VI from stammering with...
Recently I watched the movie "The King's Speech". This is a film about the disposal of the King of Great Britain George VI from stammering with the help of speech therapist Lionel Logue. The film is about fighting fears, because all our failures are based precisely on this soil, that we don't have to reconcile ourselves with our problems, that we must solve them. There is a good review, which I found on https://answershark.com/writing/creating-review/movie-review-examples.h… and with its help I wrote my own. Highly recommend!
One of my all time favorites. It's not just a movie, it's a film, as you called it.

Post a reply to: Movie Discussion

The Latest