Mayweather vs Pacquiao...

peelout
Edited Date/Time 5/4/2015 6:29am
anyone saying fuck the supercross race Saturday night and tuning in to the fight?

i know after going to the Vegas SX for about 8 years straight and never missing the event on tv, this will be the first time i've ever purposely not watched it live. i'm excited about the fight.

really big Pac-Man fan here. little side story, in 2008 we were riding through Baja and ended at a little village outside of Tecate. we went to the little restaurant/saloon and had some drinks. well here come all the locals (20 or so, small village) and the TV gets turned on and we watch the Pacquiao vs De La Hoya fight live. it was awesome.

fast forward to 2014 and my baja trip left Tecate and the first night we spent in the Bay of LA on the Cortez side of the Baja. well, we go to dinner and have some drinks and what do you know, the Pacquiao vs Bradley fight was on live in the saloon.

pretty crazy. anyway, i'm not in Mexico this time and i'm not missing the fight.

who's your guys' picks?

i'm picking Floyd for the win but i'd love to see Manny take the fight
|
FlaNard
4/29/2015 11:46am
Having a party at my place for this one. $100 for HD is steep, but I'll pay it for this fight. Would have been a wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide points win for Floyd when he had his legs a few years back, but at 38 the fight is closer than ever. Manny comes out strong as usual, Floyd sits back and see's the angles for the first couple of rounds. Master counter punchers tend to do that. Then he picks Manny apart. Manny hasn't stopped anyone since 2009 (once the PED allegations came along) so I can't see him stopping a guy who has only even been buzzed a couple of times in his career. Manny can't get out of the way of a quick straight right lead, and Floyd has the best in boxing. You will see a replay of right hand after right hand for 12 rounds. Floyd on points in a fight that is wider than the judges see it. On the other hand, Floyd has one fight left on his contract and a robbery would set up a rematch for even more hundreds of millions of dollars. That fact alone keeps me from betting on this one.
Fantasy
4478th
4/29/2015 11:49am
Pacquiao all day. I don't watch many fights but I'm actually excited for this one.
peelout
4/29/2015 11:59am
Damn didn't even cross my mind that SX would be on at the same time. Like you I hope that Manny wins but it's hard to...
Damn didn't even cross my mind that SX would be on at the same time.

Like you I hope that Manny wins but it's hard to bet against Mayweather. Interesting to hear Ricky Hatton's thoughts on it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/boxing/32510051
did you happen to catch the "The Legends Speak" on HBO the other day?

very interesting thoughts from all the fighters. i'm on the bandwagon that Floyd is an amazing counter-puncher and it's hard to do damage to a guy that swats you when you miss. but Manny is so aggressive and always throwing...

The Shop

J.F.S
4/29/2015 12:21pm
Pacquiao all day!
4/29/2015 12:21pm
peelout wrote:
did you happen to catch the [url=http://www.mmamania.com/2015/4/26/8500403/mayweather-pacquiao-legends-speak-full-video-replay-hbo-boxing]"The Legends Speak"[/url] on HBO the other day? very interesting thoughts from all the fighters. i'm on the bandwagon that...

very interesting thoughts from all the fighters. i'm on the bandwagon that Floyd is an amazing counter-puncher and it's hard to do damage to a guy that swats you when you miss. but Manny is so aggressive and always throwing...

I'll check it out, thanks for the link. Still need to catch a few of the promo shows HBO and Showtime put out as well.

FlaNard
4/29/2015 1:22pm
Damn didn't even cross my mind that SX would be on at the same time. Like you I hope that Manny wins but it's hard to...
Damn didn't even cross my mind that SX would be on at the same time.

Like you I hope that Manny wins but it's hard to bet against Mayweather. Interesting to hear Ricky Hatton's thoughts on it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/boxing/32510051
peelout wrote:
did you happen to catch the [url=http://www.mmamania.com/2015/4/26/8500403/mayweather-pacquiao-legends-speak-full-video-replay-hbo-boxing]"The Legends Speak"[/url] on HBO the other day? very interesting thoughts from all the fighters. i'm on the bandwagon that...

Always throwing against a great counter puncher when you have a feint tell can lead to bad things though...

ocscottie
4/29/2015 1:34pm
peelout wrote:

I did catch that, was very cool hearing from all the legends of the fight world.

IMO it is happening 5 years to late for me to have much interest. ill probably watch a stream of it though. Whistling
ocscottie
4/29/2015 1:36pm
btw: ESPN Sports Center is having a special on right now and they are at the press conference, but they havent showed shit and are talking basketball. Blink
ocscottie
4/29/2015 1:50pm
btw: Freddie Roach is such a stud! The way he has battled Parkinson's disease and continues to be the best in the biz. 7 time Trainer of the Year, and i believe he won it again this year. Huge inspiration.
FlaNard
4/29/2015 1:53pm
ocscottie wrote:
btw: Freddie Roach is such a stud! The way he has battled Parkinson's disease and continues to be the best in the biz. 7 time Trainer...
btw: Freddie Roach is such a stud! The way he has battled Parkinson's disease and continues to be the best in the biz. 7 time Trainer of the Year, and i believe he won it again this year. Huge inspiration.
He was a tough little fighter back in the day as well. No punch and all heart. That guy was in some wars.
Atmos
4/29/2015 2:26pm
I remember when Floyd said no one in the UFC could beat him, but resprted to beating on women in his down time.
I hope Manny sends him to the coroner.
FlaNard
4/29/2015 2:29pm
Atmos wrote:
I remember when Floyd said no one in the UFC could beat him, but resprted to beating on women in his down time. I hope Manny...
I remember when Floyd said no one in the UFC could beat him, but resprted to beating on women in his down time.
I hope Manny sends him to the coroner.
Yeah cause the UFC is full of good guys at the top as well...Unsure

UFC stripped light heavyweight champion Jon Jones of his title Tuesday, one day after he turned himself in to police custody on a felony charge in Albuquerque, New Mexico.

Jones, 27, is the first champion in UFC history to be stripped of a title due to disciplinary reasons. UFC officials also announced Tuesday that the promotion has indefinitely suspended Jones and pulled him from a scheduled title defense against Anthony Johnson at UFC 187 on May 23 in Las Vegas.

In addition, Reebok terminated Jones' endorsement contract, effective immediately, Wednesday morning. Jones had lost his deal with Nike after a mutual split in September 2014.

Former title contender Daniel Cormier will replace Jones in the pay-per-view event at the MGM Grand Garden Arena to fight for the now-vacant light heavyweight title.

"He's very disappointed. He's upset. He wanted to go down as one of the greats or the greatest," UFC president Dana White said on "Fox Sports Live" of Jones. "He's disappointed, but it is what it is. It is the decision we had to make.

"For us to go in and have to strip him of his title and suspend him is not fun, but you know what they say: The show must go on."

Jon Jones had been the light heavyweight champion since March 2011, defending the title eight times. Brandon Magnus/Getty Images
Johnson echoed those sentiments to ESPN.com on Wednesday.

"I can say that I'm kind of disappointed with the mistake Jon made, but he is human," Johnson said. "I definitely wanted to fight him for the title. He's the best. Everybody wants to fight the best, if you're in this sport for the right reasons."

Jones appeared in Bernalillo County Metropolitan Court on Tuesday for a felony first appearance. Judge Maria Dominguez granted a request made by Jones' attorney, Vincent Ward, to remove any travel restrictions on the fighter, which kept alive the possibility of Jones fighting next month in Las Vegas.

UFC CEO Lorenzo Fertitta, UFC chief operating officer Lawrence Epstein and White flew to Albuquerque to meet with Jones and his representatives Tuesday afternoon. UFC announced Jones had been stripped of the title hours later.

"UFC feels strongly that its athletes must uphold certain standards both in and out of the Octagon," UFC said in a statement. "While there is disappointment in the recent changes, the organization remains supportive of Jones as he works through the legal process."

Widely considered the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world, Jones allegedly was involved in a three-car accident Sunday morning. Witnesses said a man fitting Jones' description ran a red light, collided with another vehicle and fled on foot. According to police reports, the man apparently returned to the vehicle to grab a "large handful of cash" before fleeing a second time.

The driver of the car that was struck, a 25-year-old pregnant woman, was taken to the hospital. Police confirmed she suffered a fractured arm and wrist.

Jones did not enter a plea during his court appearance Tuesday. The district attorney has 60 days to determine whether to move forward with the case, according to court spokeswoman Camille Cordova.

After the court hearing, Jones tweeted for the first time since the accident.

In May 2012, Jones was arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence after he crashed his Bentley into a telephone pole in Binghamton, New York. Jones pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor DWI charge and avoided jail time.

In early December, Jones tested positive for metabolites of cocaine while training for his bout against Cormier. Jones was allowed to compete because the test was conducted out of competition and beat Cormier via unanimous decision.

When the failed drug test became public after the fight, Jones publicly apologized for a "mistake." He admitted himself to a drug treatment center for one day and underwent outpatient therapy.

Jones had defended the 205-pound title a record eight times since becoming the youngest champion in UFC history in March 2011. He was two defenses away from tying former middleweight champion Anderson Silva's record of 10 consecutive title defenses at any weight division.

Cormier (15-1) will fight for the light heavyweight championship despite coming off a loss in his previous bout. The former U.S. Olympic wrestler challenged Jones for the title at UFC 182 on Jan. 3 in Las Vegas and lost via unanimous decision. Cormier is 4-1 overall in the UFC with two finishes.

"I can't be too disappointed. I have a title fight and a worthy opponent in Daniel Cormier," Johnson told ESPN.com. "I'm happy I get to fight someone like him."

Johnson (19-4) is 3-0 in the UFC light heavyweight division. He fought for the promotion from 2007 to 2012, primarily as a welterweight. The UFC released Johnson in early 2012 for repeatedly missing weight. Fighting out of Boca Raton, Florida, Johnson is on a nine-fight win streak.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.
ocscottie
4/29/2015 2:35pm
HOLY SHIT! that is the first i had heard of the Jon Jones news (i slept in today) DAMN!! i was really looking fwd to his next fight.
Atmos
4/29/2015 2:35pm
When referencing the UFC, I was talking about the time Floyd got called out by Dana White. Floyd said no one in the UFC could beat him. Dana offered him a UFC fight and Floyd dodged it. I'd think if Floyd were as tough as he believes, he'd back his mouth up.

That being said, there are worthless pieces of shit in the UFC as well. Jon Jones being a great example.
peelout
4/29/2015 2:49pm
Atmos wrote:
When referencing the UFC, I was talking about the time Floyd got called out by Dana White. Floyd said no one in the UFC could beat...
When referencing the UFC, I was talking about the time Floyd got called out by Dana White. Floyd said no one in the UFC could beat him. Dana offered him a UFC fight and Floyd dodged it. I'd think if Floyd were as tough as he believes, he'd back his mouth up.

That being said, there are worthless pieces of shit in the UFC as well. Jon Jones being a great example.
Dana is a fucking douchebag anyway, why would anyone expect a boxer to fight an MMA type fight?
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4109th
4/29/2015 2:55pm
Atmos wrote:
When referencing the UFC, I was talking about the time Floyd got called out by Dana White. Floyd said no one in the UFC could beat...

6 months of solid training and he would destroy anyone in his class in the UFC.
FlaNard
4/29/2015 2:58pm Edited Date/Time 4/29/2015 2:59pm
Atmos wrote:

Oh I gotcha. Yeah its dumb. Floyd wins a boxing match against an MMA guy and an MMA guy taps Floyd in under a minute. Two different sports. Plus, Dana can't pay Floyd enough to fight anyway. Floyd will make more for this fight then every UFC guy combined will make all year.
ocscottie
4/29/2015 3:28pm
HAR! just caught Stephen A Smith on SportsCenter and he was going off on Freddie Roach. Guess they have a bet going on that Paq KO's $$ in the 9th, Smith thinks Floyd will whip his ass.
Old-Man
4/29/2015 3:31pm Edited Date/Time 4/29/2015 3:32pm
Be watching it when I can while in the stands in Vegas.

Hope Manny gives him a battle royal

Hope one of the links I have works on my phone...Laughing
FlaNard
4/29/2015 3:45pm
Puffy and Mark Wahlberg have a 2.5 million bet on the fight. Oh and Stephen A. Smith is a nuthugger.
ocscottie
4/29/2015 3:58pm
FlaNard wrote:
Puffy and Mark Wahlberg have a 2.5 million bet on the fight. Oh and Stephen A. Smith is a nuthugger.
Who's a bigger doosh, Stephen A or Skip Bayliss? i call it a tie, but leaning a tiny bit towards Skip.
MR. X
4/29/2015 4:23pm
I hope pac man takes it, i have a feeling Mayweather will run around and throw a few punches and win the decision.
scott_nz
Fantasy
840th
4/29/2015 4:57pm
MR. X wrote:
I hope pac man takes it, i have a feeling Mayweather will run around and throw a few punches and win the decision.
i hope that does not happen, Pacman has to catch him and hurt him, and that has not happened alot to Mayweather,

i think Pacman is 10 x the human that Mayweather is, but you can not look at a undefeated record and not be in awe
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4109th
4/29/2015 5:31pm
MR. X wrote:
scott_nz wrote:
i hope that does not happen, Pacman has to catch him and hurt him, and that has not happened alot to Mayweather, i think Pacman is...
i hope that does not happen, Pacman has to catch him and hurt him, and that has not happened alot to Mayweather,

i think Pacman is 10 x the human that Mayweather is, but you can not look at a undefeated record and not be in awe
If he chases him and tries to hurt him, he will lose. Mayweather is a master at moving and countering, Paq needs to stick to his plan, stand snd trade.
A. DLeary
4/29/2015 7:54pm
Atmos wrote:

UpTiTe wrote:
This is one of the dumbest things I've heard. 6 months of training wouldn't give you enough wrestling to keep things standing against a top level wrestler in the UFC, nor would it give you enough submission defense. The MMA vs Boxing argument is dumb because they're two different sports. No top level boxer is winning in the UFC just as no top level MMA fighter is winning in boxing. It's the same thing as to why you don't see many boxers succeed in kickboxing and vice versa.
DownSouth
4/29/2015 8:09pm
I couldn't care less about boxing but I hope Pacquiao wipes the floor with Mayweather.
hvaughn88
4/30/2015 4:03am
FlaNard wrote:
ocscottie wrote:
Who's a bigger doosh, Stephen A or Skip Bayliss? i call it a tie, but leaning a tiny bit towards Skip.
I can't stand either one, but Screamin A. Smith is a bigger d bag imo. Skip is a d bag, too. But I think his stuff is more just for TV. Smith seems like he's actually a tool in real life too
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4109th
4/30/2015 5:54am
Atmos wrote:

UpTiTe wrote:
A. DLeary wrote:
This is one of the dumbest things I've heard. 6 months of training wouldn't give you enough wrestling to keep things standing against a top level...
This is one of the dumbest things I've heard. 6 months of training wouldn't give you enough wrestling to keep things standing against a top level wrestler in the UFC, nor would it give you enough submission defense. The MMA vs Boxing argument is dumb because they're two different sports. No top level boxer is winning in the UFC just as no top level MMA fighter is winning in boxing. It's the same thing as to why you don't see many boxers succeed in kickboxing and vice versa.
I love it when a guy with zero combat sports experience calls me dumb.

I think you either have no idea what you're talking about, or uou seriously under estimate a guy like Mayweathers knowledge, speed, power and pure athletesism. He has great hand speed, that woild be even faster with MMA gloves, great vision, quik on his feet with great lateral movement and has years of experience. You can't teach any of that, so yes after 6 months of hard training with a good trainer younger Mayweather could enter the UFC in six months and win right away and woild be champ in 3 years.
tbanks
4/30/2015 8:42am
I'm a big Pacman fan. Hope he can get the win.

I think it's going to be a close fight.

Post a reply to: Mayweather vs Pacquiao...

The Latest