Jordan Peterson

borg
Posts
7049
Joined
12/7/2009
Location
Long Beach, CA, USA
Didn't want to totally derail the other thread, although I'm not really sure what the topic is, but this video is probably Jordan at his top level before he had his health issues. The interviewer is tough but has a streak of fairness in her. It's a long video but you get a good sense of how carefully he chooses his words and thinks things through. If you challenge him in his field, psychology, you better have your shit together. If you are really into tedium and intellectual banter, watch his debates with Sam Harris and Matt Dillahunty.


18
3
|
4/4/2022 8:36pm
He takes a little flak from the left. But generally he’s a kind man and cares about helping people. He’s definitely one of the influential thinkers of our time. He and his family have been through some tough times in the last couple years.
6
3
Yeti831
Posts
1348
Joined
1/30/2020
Location
USA
4/4/2022 9:30pm
He takes a little flak from the left. But generally he’s a kind man and cares about helping people. He’s definitely one of the influential thinkers...
He takes a little flak from the left. But generally he’s a kind man and cares about helping people. He’s definitely one of the influential thinkers of our time. He and his family have been through some tough times in the last couple years.
That’s honestly what I love about him, just an intelligent well rounded human being that can talk sense and logic is a clear direct voice.

5
3
abomination
Posts
708
Joined
1/9/2016
Location
SLC, UT, USA
4/5/2022 12:28am
he's many things, but clear and direct are not it. dude makes teamgreen look terse.
29
swordfish
Posts
1950
Joined
9/2/2021
Location
Somewhere, AB, CA
4/5/2022 3:24am
he's many things, but clear and direct are not it. dude makes teamgreen look terse.
Maybe you’re just a little slow🤷‍♂️
10
5

The Shop

TXDirt
Posts
7789
Joined
7/29/2015
Location
Plano, TX, USA
4/5/2022 6:35am
he's many things, but clear and direct are not it. dude makes teamgreen look terse.
Username checks out.
12
1
4/5/2022 8:20am
You never agree with what someone has to say all the time but overall I have nothing but respect for Jordan. Young people (young men especially) are so often directionless and lost these days - JP has helped many, many people orientate themselves onto a good path going forward, sometimes from the absolute pit of despair.
13
2
Falcon
Posts
12611
Joined
11/16/2011
Location
Menifee, CA, USA
4/5/2022 8:32am
I like his approach. He's clearly conservative and religious, but he does not argue as if those are the bases of his logic. (In other words, he doesn't say things like, "[insert liberal belief here] is wrong, so your argument about it is wrong." Or, "The bible says this, so you are wrong.") He demonstrates facts, draws conclusions from those facts, and shows how the conclusions fit into his worldview. He's also not afraid to rail against both sides of the political spectrum if either is factually wrong about something or uses illogical arguments.

He's our best current-day philosophical proponent of fact-based, cause and effect style governance.
17
2
Yeti831
Posts
1348
Joined
1/30/2020
Location
USA
4/5/2022 5:30pm
he's many things, but clear and direct are not it. dude makes teamgreen look terse.
What has he discussed that is not clear and direct?

The floor is yours, sir.
6
2
abomination
Posts
708
Joined
1/9/2016
Location
SLC, UT, USA
4/5/2022 6:00pm
Sure didn’t.
10
Muttly
Posts
1959
Joined
10/3/2021
Location
Mills, NM, USA
4/5/2022 6:10pm Edited Date/Time 4/5/2022 6:10pm
I’ve avoided watching Jordan for some time now. Not sure why. The other night I was laying in bed listening to YouTube as I fell asleep. What I started with rolled in to the next video. Half asleep and listening, going who the heck is this, ‘cause I concur. It was Jordan.
1
4
TeamGreen
Posts
37751
Joined
11/25/2008
Location
Thru-out, CA, USA
4/5/2022 6:14pm
he's many things, but clear and direct are not it. dude makes teamgreen look terse.
Damn. Thank you!

Any comparison to that gentleman, especially as brought forth by you, is a massive compliment.

Thanks, again.
11
2
Muttly
Posts
1959
Joined
10/3/2021
Location
Mills, NM, USA
4/5/2022 6:39pm
he's many things, but clear and direct are not it. dude makes teamgreen look terse.
Is that you, Dave?
4
3
tuggy450
Posts
1389
Joined
3/12/2016
Location
Massapequa, NY, USA
4/5/2022 7:16pm
Sure didn’t.
Not surprised, that wasn't really for the layman, more for academic intellectual types, although even he admits the point he and others are trying to make is a complicated one, essentially just academic theory.

I have never seen that before, interesting, slow it down, his academia speech is hard to follow, he has much better advice, for the layman,

Like Clean Your Room, Try doing that, before you you start thinking you have all the answers.
4
4
Muttly
Posts
1959
Joined
10/3/2021
Location
Mills, NM, USA
4/5/2022 7:24pm
Sure didn’t.
tuggy450 wrote:
Not surprised, that wasn't really for the layman, more for academic intellectual types, although even he admits the point he and others are trying to make...
Not surprised, that wasn't really for the layman, more for academic intellectual types, although even he admits the point he and others are trying to make is a complicated one, essentially just academic theory.

I have never seen that before, interesting, slow it down, his academia speech is hard to follow, he has much better advice, for the layman,

Like Clean Your Room, Try doing that, before you you start thinking you have all the answers.
Admiral McRaven said, “If you want to change the World, start by making your bed”.
3
1
Bill_Carroll
Posts
5082
Joined
9/15/2010
Location
Falcon, CO, USA
4/5/2022 7:35pm
Love the Bricklayer comment.
Back in Ohio we had a few Female Bricklayers that can hold their own.
I moved west in 98' most workers were against any female in construction because of the heavy work load A Female cannot withstand.
Paying them the same for doing less is ridiculous.
So in short I get what JP is all about.
5
Bill_Carroll
Posts
5082
Joined
9/15/2010
Location
Falcon, CO, USA
4/5/2022 7:41pm
he's many things, but clear and direct are not it. dude makes teamgreen look terse.
TeamGreen wrote:
Damn. Thank you!

Any comparison to that gentleman, especially as brought forth by you, is a massive compliment.

Thanks, again.
Seems this abom character has you in his crosshairs Manny
WTG! you have a following and living rent free in their heads.
2
4
Bill_Carroll
Posts
5082
Joined
9/15/2010
Location
Falcon, CO, USA
4/5/2022 7:54pm
he's many things, but clear and direct are not it. dude makes teamgreen look terse.
TeamGreen wrote:
Damn. Thank you!

Any comparison to that gentleman, especially as brought forth by you, is a massive compliment.

Thanks, again.
Seems this abom character has you in his crosshairs Manny
WTG! you have a following and living rent free in their heads.
OH shit.
I got a check down.
Must be more beds left
1
5
abomination
Posts
708
Joined
1/9/2016
Location
SLC, UT, USA
4/5/2022 10:23pm
Sure didn’t.
tuggy450 wrote:
Not surprised, that wasn't really for the layman, more for academic intellectual types, although even he admits the point he and others are trying to make...
Not surprised, that wasn't really for the layman, more for academic intellectual types, although even he admits the point he and others are trying to make is a complicated one, essentially just academic theory.

I have never seen that before, interesting, slow it down, his academia speech is hard to follow, he has much better advice, for the layman,

Like Clean Your Room, Try doing that, before you you start thinking you have all the answers.
I've listened to a lot of his content over the years—lectures, podcast appearances (as previously referenced), and interviews, and followed him on Twitter. I didn't form my opinion based on that clip, just find it to be representative of his lack ability to make a concise point.

That's subjective and whatever. Just found it weird someone would claim otherwise. His incredibly abhorrent and selfish views on women in the workplace however…
1
17
tuggy450
Posts
1389
Joined
3/12/2016
Location
Massapequa, NY, USA
4/5/2022 11:09pm
I've listened to a lot of his content over the years—lectures, podcast appearances (as previously referenced), and interviews, and followed him on Twitter. I didn't form...
I've listened to a lot of his content over the years—lectures, podcast appearances (as previously referenced), and interviews, and followed him on Twitter. I didn't form my opinion based on that clip, just find it to be representative of his lack ability to make a concise point.

That's subjective and whatever. Just found it weird someone would claim otherwise. His incredibly abhorrent and selfish views on women in the workplace however…
The other stuff I have seen is pretty easy to follow, He seems to choose his words carefully, I don't think his goal is to spoon feed people although some of his speech gets repeated because he's entertaining and intelligent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSWyfkkgCN0&t=314s
1
1
Bill_Carroll
Posts
5082
Joined
9/15/2010
Location
Falcon, CO, USA
4/5/2022 11:16pm
Sure didn’t.
tuggy450 wrote:
Not surprised, that wasn't really for the layman, more for academic intellectual types, although even he admits the point he and others are trying to make...
Not surprised, that wasn't really for the layman, more for academic intellectual types, although even he admits the point he and others are trying to make is a complicated one, essentially just academic theory.

I have never seen that before, interesting, slow it down, his academia speech is hard to follow, he has much better advice, for the layman,

Like Clean Your Room, Try doing that, before you you start thinking you have all the answers.
I've listened to a lot of his content over the years—lectures, podcast appearances (as previously referenced), and interviews, and followed him on Twitter. I didn't form...
I've listened to a lot of his content over the years—lectures, podcast appearances (as previously referenced), and interviews, and followed him on Twitter. I didn't form my opinion based on that clip, just find it to be representative of his lack ability to make a concise point.

That's subjective and whatever. Just found it weird someone would claim otherwise. His incredibly abhorrent and selfish views on women in the workplace however…
"his lack ability to make a concise point."

When is the first/last time that you were aloud to make your point on a Show (Or other) that was
Stacked against you from the beginning?

You can't talk sense to the audience
made to look like a fool because you are shut off and over run by the Panel.

He had the Balls to be there.
When was this done by the your comrades?
1940 to 1974 I bet?
Dems where there for the poor and Republicans were for the rich.

These days the Dems are for Socialism
All Politician's are about pocketing $$$$$$$$, No matter who it kills.

America Needs a reborn forefather.

Know of anyone?
1
8
abomination
Posts
708
Joined
1/9/2016
Location
SLC, UT, USA
4/5/2022 11:38pm
tuggy450 wrote:
Not surprised, that wasn't really for the layman, more for academic intellectual types, although even he admits the point he and others are trying to make...
Not surprised, that wasn't really for the layman, more for academic intellectual types, although even he admits the point he and others are trying to make is a complicated one, essentially just academic theory.

I have never seen that before, interesting, slow it down, his academia speech is hard to follow, he has much better advice, for the layman,

Like Clean Your Room, Try doing that, before you you start thinking you have all the answers.
I've listened to a lot of his content over the years—lectures, podcast appearances (as previously referenced), and interviews, and followed him on Twitter. I didn't form...
I've listened to a lot of his content over the years—lectures, podcast appearances (as previously referenced), and interviews, and followed him on Twitter. I didn't form my opinion based on that clip, just find it to be representative of his lack ability to make a concise point.

That's subjective and whatever. Just found it weird someone would claim otherwise. His incredibly abhorrent and selfish views on women in the workplace however…
[i]"his lack ability to make a concise point."[/i] When is the first/last time that you were aloud to make your point on a Show (Or other)...
"his lack ability to make a concise point."

When is the first/last time that you were aloud to make your point on a Show (Or other) that was
Stacked against you from the beginning?

You can't talk sense to the audience
made to look like a fool because you are shut off and over run by the Panel.

He had the Balls to be there.
When was this done by the your comrades?
1940 to 1974 I bet?
Dems where there for the poor and Republicans were for the rich.

These days the Dems are for Socialism
All Politician's are about pocketing $$$$$$$$, No matter who it kills.

America Needs a reborn forefather.

Know of anyone?
You're either hammered, uneducated, or ESL. All I can glean from that rant is you wanted to turn the conversation political and want a Canadian lecturer as your daddy? Or was the 'forefather' nothing to do with Jordan Peterson either?

As an actual leftist, I wish Democrats were for more socialism. 96% of them are firmly center-left, and if they ran as Republican you'd likely be fine with them, but just wondering why they weren't actively trying to ban abortions and only against most of immigration instead of virtually all.
15
tuggy450
Posts
1389
Joined
3/12/2016
Location
Massapequa, NY, USA
4/6/2022 12:22am Edited Date/Time 4/6/2022 12:22am
I am pretty sure Mr Peterson considers himself, actually somewhat liberal more than say a conservative.

Just that his definitions of those terms are different than others.

He seems to detest Communism or by association Socialism. ok here's a video of him on politics,

I don't think it's really his area of expertise, but still the guy is a clinical psychologist. So insight from the clinical psychology perspective is interesting.
Worth a watch, if anything maybe it will make you more tolerant of others views.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxi-0E5zmdI
3
abomination
Posts
708
Joined
1/9/2016
Location
SLC, UT, USA
4/6/2022 12:46am Edited Date/Time 4/6/2022 12:47am
You're confusing his love for the term 'classical liberal' with him being liberal as the rest of the world understands it. I don't mean to suggest he's doing it maliciously, but it's a common theme of his work—using terms in ways that don't match their typical shared definition. Think his famous use of 'chaos' and 'order', and in his most recent JRE appearance, 'climate'.
5
Bill_Carroll
Posts
5082
Joined
9/15/2010
Location
Falcon, CO, USA
4/6/2022 12:47am
I've listened to a lot of his content over the years—lectures, podcast appearances (as previously referenced), and interviews, and followed him on Twitter. I didn't form...
I've listened to a lot of his content over the years—lectures, podcast appearances (as previously referenced), and interviews, and followed him on Twitter. I didn't form my opinion based on that clip, just find it to be representative of his lack ability to make a concise point.

That's subjective and whatever. Just found it weird someone would claim otherwise. His incredibly abhorrent and selfish views on women in the workplace however…
[i]"his lack ability to make a concise point."[/i] When is the first/last time that you were aloud to make your point on a Show (Or other)...
"his lack ability to make a concise point."

When is the first/last time that you were aloud to make your point on a Show (Or other) that was
Stacked against you from the beginning?

You can't talk sense to the audience
made to look like a fool because you are shut off and over run by the Panel.

He had the Balls to be there.
When was this done by the your comrades?
1940 to 1974 I bet?
Dems where there for the poor and Republicans were for the rich.

These days the Dems are for Socialism
All Politician's are about pocketing $$$$$$$$, No matter who it kills.

America Needs a reborn forefather.

Know of anyone?
You're either hammered, uneducated, or ESL. All I can glean from that rant is you wanted to turn the conversation political and want a Canadian lecturer...
You're either hammered, uneducated, or ESL. All I can glean from that rant is you wanted to turn the conversation political and want a Canadian lecturer as your daddy? Or was the 'forefather' nothing to do with Jordan Peterson either?

As an actual leftist, I wish Democrats were for more socialism. 96% of them are firmly center-left, and if they ran as Republican you'd likely be fine with them, but just wondering why they weren't actively trying to ban abortions and only against most of immigration instead of virtually all.
Like all who have no answers to a question ya revert to calling names
Then go off on another subject,

Uneducated?... To what?
2
4
abomination
Posts
708
Joined
1/9/2016
Location
SLC, UT, USA
4/6/2022 3:16am
> When is the first/last time that you were aloud to make your point on a Show (Or other) that was
Stacked against you from the beginning?

I've never been on a 'show.'


> When was this done by the your comrades? 1940 to 1974 I bet?

I'm not sure what you mean by 'comrades.' If you mean 'peers' to Jordan, my favorite political commentator does an interview here and there that're 'stacked' against him. He's current so, 2022.


> America Needs a reborn forefather. Know of anyone?

No. And I reject the premise—we probably would agree our 70 year old leaders are out of touch and inefficient. So I don't have delusions of someone 'reborn' as a leader from ~250 years ago is going to be what we need.


> Uneducated?... To what?

Aloud vs allowed. Possessive vs plural 's'. Where vs were. Capitalization. Punctuation.

Made it difficult to understand what you were getting at, but I pulled out the obvious questions and answered so you wouldn't feel like I was dodging you.
1
3
Flatliner
Posts
4366
Joined
11/3/2009
Location
CA
4/6/2022 6:06am
I've listened to a lot of his content over the years—lectures, podcast appearances (as previously referenced), and interviews, and followed him on Twitter. I didn't form...
I've listened to a lot of his content over the years—lectures, podcast appearances (as previously referenced), and interviews, and followed him on Twitter. I didn't form my opinion based on that clip, just find it to be representative of his lack ability to make a concise point.

That's subjective and whatever. Just found it weird someone would claim otherwise. His incredibly abhorrent and selfish views on women in the workplace however…
[i]"his lack ability to make a concise point."[/i] When is the first/last time that you were aloud to make your point on a Show (Or other)...
"his lack ability to make a concise point."

When is the first/last time that you were aloud to make your point on a Show (Or other) that was
Stacked against you from the beginning?

You can't talk sense to the audience
made to look like a fool because you are shut off and over run by the Panel.

He had the Balls to be there.
When was this done by the your comrades?
1940 to 1974 I bet?
Dems where there for the poor and Republicans were for the rich.

These days the Dems are for Socialism
All Politician's are about pocketing $$$$$$$$, No matter who it kills.

America Needs a reborn forefather.

Know of anyone?
You're either hammered, uneducated, or ESL. All I can glean from that rant is you wanted to turn the conversation political and want a Canadian lecturer...
You're either hammered, uneducated, or ESL. All I can glean from that rant is you wanted to turn the conversation political and want a Canadian lecturer as your daddy? Or was the 'forefather' nothing to do with Jordan Peterson either?

As an actual leftist, I wish Democrats were for more socialism. 96% of them are firmly center-left, and if they ran as Republican you'd likely be fine with them, but just wondering why they weren't actively trying to ban abortions and only against most of immigration instead of virtually all.
I'd have a tough time agreeing with you on almost anything, as an individual who wants less government involvement in my life and not more... hence, not a socialism fan.
3
1
Muttly
Posts
1959
Joined
10/3/2021
Location
Mills, NM, USA
4/6/2022 6:09am
[i]"his lack ability to make a concise point."[/i] When is the first/last time that you were aloud to make your point on a Show (Or other)...
"his lack ability to make a concise point."

When is the first/last time that you were aloud to make your point on a Show (Or other) that was
Stacked against you from the beginning?

You can't talk sense to the audience
made to look like a fool because you are shut off and over run by the Panel.

He had the Balls to be there.
When was this done by the your comrades?
1940 to 1974 I bet?
Dems where there for the poor and Republicans were for the rich.

These days the Dems are for Socialism
All Politician's are about pocketing $$$$$$$$, No matter who it kills.

America Needs a reborn forefather.

Know of anyone?
You're either hammered, uneducated, or ESL. All I can glean from that rant is you wanted to turn the conversation political and want a Canadian lecturer...
You're either hammered, uneducated, or ESL. All I can glean from that rant is you wanted to turn the conversation political and want a Canadian lecturer as your daddy? Or was the 'forefather' nothing to do with Jordan Peterson either?

As an actual leftist, I wish Democrats were for more socialism. 96% of them are firmly center-left, and if they ran as Republican you'd likely be fine with them, but just wondering why they weren't actively trying to ban abortions and only against most of immigration instead of virtually all.
Flatliner wrote:
I'd have a tough time agreeing with you on almost anything, as an individual who wants less government involvement in my life and not more... hence...
I'd have a tough time agreeing with you on almost anything, as an individual who wants less government involvement in my life and not more... hence, not a socialism fan.
…….but, but, but it’ll be different this time, socialism can work. [\sarcasm]
1
1
freeh
Posts
808
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
Lehi, UT, USA
4/6/2022 7:25am
I just think it's nice that someone admits they are the core of the problem, as in admitting you are a leftist.
3
5

Post a reply to: Jordan Peterson

The Latest