Historic Aircraft from back in the day

G-man
2/25/2021 1:14pm Edited Date/Time 11/25/2022 2:42pm
Just like motorcycles if not more so due to funding and military aircraft, the advancement of aerospace throughout the years is pretty dang amazing.

An aerial view of the Northrop "Flying Wings" at the Northrop plant in Hawthorne, taken in 1949. John Northrop, who had previously designed aircraft for Donald Douglas, set up his own company and tried tail-less aircraft. He built several smaller flying wings before designing and building the piston-powered B-35. The later version of the flying wing involved converting some B-35s to jet power, which became the B-49. The Air Force tried both versions but they did not have enough flight stability to accurately drop bombs. The Air Force chose the B-36 and later the B-52 and ordered that all the remaining B-35's and B-49's be cut up for scrap, thus none were saved for museums. The reason for the scrapping was a dispute between Secretary of the Air Force Stuart Symington and John Northrop, as Symington wanted Northrop to merge his smaller company with a larger aircraft maker like Consolidated. Northrop refused and quit the company. Many years later, John Northrop was shown a model of the flying wing B-2, which had the same wing dimensions as did his original Flying Wings. He wept with emotion after realizing that the Air Force had finally adopted his idea. He died shortly after. Photo from the Security Pacific National Bank Collection, Los Angeles Public Library.
|
XXVoid MainXX
2/25/2021 1:47pm
I bet a few of those were reported as UFOs in the early days. The B2 definitely looks alien if you've ever seen one fly close up.
2/25/2021 2:16pm
I bet a few of these were reported as UFOs as well.

With regards to the advancement of aviation, its crazy to think that in less than the span of a lifetime humans went from powered flight being something out of a crazy dream to supersonic jets and space shuttles.
XXVoid MainXX
2/25/2021 2:37pm
I bet a few of these were reported as UFOs as well. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2021/02/25/480375/s1200_lqefw_GBZQM3X40WX_Full_Image_GalleryBackground_en_US_1534791581625._SX1080.jpg[/img] With regards to the advancement of aviation, its crazy to think that in...

With regards to the advancement of aviation, its crazy to think that in less than the span of a lifetime humans went from powered flight being something out of a crazy dream to supersonic jets and space shuttles.
I used to love to see those come into Nellis when I worked the flightline there.
plowboy
2/25/2021 2:54pm
I work on experimental military aircraft. Clean sheet designs and mods to existing aircraft. I can tell you without exaggeration that trying to design and sell an aircraft to the military is a ridiculously frustrating and expensive process. Some of the many hurdles are that congress, the military hierarchy, potential threats/targets and new technologies are in constant change and flux.

When the Air Force decides it needs a new aircraft to fight a new threat...they have to get funding from congress...this takes time. IF congress gives the green light then industry is given the optimal capabilities they require for defeating the threat....and if the numbers look good...the companies spend hundreds of millions of dollars designing an aircraft that will come as close as possible to the "optimal" requirements requested. This takes time.

When the manufacturers produce a "prototype" they have to test it in house...to make sure it is safe enough to hand off to the Air Force for testing against the competitors submissions. This takes time.

While all this time has passed...the congress has changed, the military hierarchy has changed, the threat has changed and DARPA has a ton of new technologies that have changed.

Many very excellent aircraft have died on the vine because of these constantly changing factors.

The Shop

plowboy
2/25/2021 3:07pm
I bet a few of these were reported as UFOs as well. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2021/02/25/480375/s1200_lqefw_GBZQM3X40WX_Full_Image_GalleryBackground_en_US_1534791581625._SX1080.jpg[/img] With regards to the advancement of aviation, its crazy to think that in...

'The British Vulcan. I always thought they looked like a pterodactyl. They used to shoot touch and goes at Mildenhall and there was a squadron stationed at Offutt AFB back in the day. Yes, I'm old and have been around.
thom1862
2/25/2021 4:40pm
My first post and my daughter is in the Air Force.
vet323
2/25/2021 5:12pm

It's crazy to think that less time elapsed between the the Wright brothers' flight and manned spaceflight than has passed from first spaceflight to now.
TXDirt
2/25/2021 8:37pm

Think about how technology changed between 1900 and 2000. That’s exactly one hundred years. I’m not sure if there has ever been so much technical change in any other one hundred year span.

My grandpa literally would have gone from driving in a horse and carriage to flying in a commercial aircraft.

From literally it taking weeks to send/receive a message, to playing mortal combat with a friend in Vietnam. (Yes I did slip in a reference to Cable Guy)

Just absolutely mind blowing what all took place in that 100 year time line.
2/26/2021 12:43am
plowboy wrote:
'The British Vulcan. I always thought they looked like a pterodactyl. They used to shoot touch and goes at Mildenhall and there was a squadron stationed...
'The British Vulcan. I always thought they looked like a pterodactyl. They used to shoot touch and goes at Mildenhall and there was a squadron stationed at Offutt AFB back in the day. Yes, I'm old and have been around.
Good motocross track at Mildenhall as well. We've got two Vulcans in museums not far from us, sat in the cockpit when I was a kid and was told all about them by a guy who used to fly them who was now a museum guide, really cool.

I always thought the Victor looked pretty nuts as well.
LoudLove
2/26/2021 10:36am
Long love the mighty Intruder!

I have my NATOPS manual around somewhere. Launch the Alert 5 tanker!
G-man
2/26/2021 1:24pm

G-man
2/26/2021 1:25pm

ocscottie
2/26/2021 3:08pm
Spent all morning watching A-10 Warthog vids on YouTube, my favorite aircraft. The sheer amount of terror is reigns down from the sky is simply awesome.
plowboy
2/26/2021 3:21pm
plowboy wrote:
'The British Vulcan. I always thought they looked like a pterodactyl. They used to shoot touch and goes at Mildenhall and there was a squadron stationed...
Good motocross track at Mildenhall as well. We've got two Vulcans in museums not far from us, sat in the cockpit when I was a kid...
Good motocross track at Mildenhall as well. We've got two Vulcans in museums not far from us, sat in the cockpit when I was a kid and was told all about them by a guy who used to fly them who was now a museum guide, really cool.

I always thought the Victor looked pretty nuts as well.
I don't think I ever saw that aircraft. When I was at Mildenhall, 1977-1980, they had an annual MX race on the church common at Beck Row. I lived in a shit box rent house that abutted the common. I could step out the back door...walk 40 feet and be on the track. Google maps shows that area is totally gentrified now.

The sand pits at Lakenheath village is where I spent most of my time riding. I had to be pretty sneaky riding back roads from RAF Mildenhall to Lakenheath. There was a turkey farm on the route. The Yamaha 400 really upset the birds. It cost me a couple of bottles of Jack Daniels to get the farmer to not turn me in to the bobbies.

What a great time I had back then.
XXVoid MainXX
2/26/2021 3:49pm
ocscottie wrote:
Spent all morning watching A-10 Warthog vids on YouTube, my favorite aircraft. The sheer amount of terror is reigns down from the sky is simply awesome.
I was a crew chief on those things for 6 years. Was my favorite plane to work on as well.
plowboy
2/26/2021 3:59pm
ocscottie wrote:
I was a crew chief on those things for 6 years. Was my favorite plane to work on as well.
Small world. I was Pneudraulics in Bentwaters/Woodbridge phase docks for 4 years (1984-1989). First plane any of us had seen with a floating piston in the struts. Took a while to figure out servicing. I did love that bird....as much as I hated the F-111 and F-4. The C-141 was the only plane more reliable and easier to work on.
plowboy
2/26/2021 4:02pm
thom1862 wrote:
My first post and my daughter is in the Air Force. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2021/02/25/480410/s1200_IMG_02931.jpg[/img]
My first post and my daughter is in the Air Force.
Flight suit and no silver braid on the cap...is she a boomer? Be proud pops...she's a good 'un.Smile
G-man
2/26/2021 4:04pm
I used to love to see those come into Nellis when I worked the flightline there.
That must have been AWESOME! Woohoo
XXVoid MainXX
2/26/2021 4:18pm
ocscottie wrote:
plowboy wrote:
Small world. I was Pneudraulics in Bentwaters/Woodbridge phase docks for 4 years (1984-1989). First plane any of us had seen with a floating piston in the...
Small world. I was Pneudraulics in Bentwaters/Woodbridge phase docks for 4 years (1984-1989). First plane any of us had seen with a floating piston in the struts. Took a while to figure out servicing. I did love that bird....as much as I hated the F-111 and F-4. The C-141 was the only plane more reliable and easier to work on.
Yeah, I started on F-16s at Nellis in '81 and thought they were a pain in the arse to work on. Then I went to Germany (Spangdahlem) and crewed F-4E and G models and found out what pain in the arse to work on really was. Smile Working A-10s at Myrtle Beach was a dream in comparison to the other two.
Sully
2/26/2021 5:10pm
LoudLove wrote:
Long love the mighty Intruder! [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2021/02/26/480469/s1200_89E0E6C0_4CAE_4EF9_B2F5_F29DA52AF7C3.jpg[/img] I have my NATOPS manual around somewhere. Launch the Alert 5 tanker!
Long love the mighty Intruder!

I have my NATOPS manual around somewhere. Launch the Alert 5 tanker!
Always loved the Intruder, but I missed them by about 6 months. VA115 left CVW5/Independence and retired their Intruders in mid '96, and I checked onboard the boat in late '96. The Prowlers were cool, but something about the A6 just looked so much cooler.
G-man
2/26/2021 5:20pm Edited Date/Time 2/26/2021 10:26pm
I completed my A&P at Northrop, could not get a job and was bagging groceries.

Luckily my neighbor's Dad who also coached me in Little League helped get me my first Aviation job at Lockheed in 1979, the L-1011 was the smoothest Airliner in the sky.

It would also be the 1st time I would be blind-sided with a layoff, we never knew it was coming but they just stopped the program.

Ever since Aviation/Corporate America has been a roller coaster ride for me.

https://simpleflying.com/lockheed-l1011-tristar-rise-and-fall/amp/

XXVoid MainXX
2/26/2021 5:28pm
A good riding buddy of mine few L-1011s. Unfortunately he just passed away about a month ago.
G-man
2/26/2021 5:46pm
A good riding buddy of mine few L-1011s. Unfortunately he just passed away about a month ago.
Sorry to hear about your buddy Void....😥

The L 1011 was a superior aircraft to the DC10. But the DC10 was out first and that put us under.

They had issues with Engines falling off due to maintenance procedures on installing them incorrectly with a forklift. Unsure
LoudLove
2/26/2021 8:22pm
G-man wrote:
Sorry to hear about your buddy Void....😥 The L 1011 was a superior aircraft to the DC10. But the DC10 was out first and that put...

The L 1011 was a superior aircraft to the DC10. But the DC10 was out first and that put us under.

They had issues with Engines falling off due to maintenance procedures on installing them incorrectly with a forklift. Unsure
The L-10 Lemons, aka the Tri-Tanic? My dad was a Delta pilot, 1969-99. That plane had a less than stellar reputation.
G-man
2/26/2021 8:36pm Edited Date/Time 2/27/2021 10:25am
LoudLove wrote:
The L-10 Lemons, aka the Tri-Tanic? My dad was a Delta pilot, 1969-99. That plane had a less than stellar reputation.
Did you read the article, passengers luved them and there were many innovations that the L-1011 had before any airliner of the day.

"Across the skies
There were several fans of the L-1011 during its production run. TWA praised it as one of the safest planes in the world. Meanwhile, Delta Air Lines became the L-1011 TriStar’s biggest customer receiving 70 units. The Atlanta-based carrier would fly five variants of the type; the L-1011-1, -100, -200, -250, and -500."

Would you have rather had your dad fly in the DC10 and the engine fall off? You might not be here if he was one of those unlucky pilots.

Everybody is entitled to an opinion but the overall status and safety record of the L-1011 was good.
PNWRider
2/26/2021 9:35pm
G-man wrote:
Sorry to hear about your buddy Void....😥 The L 1011 was a superior aircraft to the DC10. But the DC10 was out first and that put...

Wasn’t that found when the one crashed on takeoff from O’Hare?
plowboy
2/27/2021 4:58am
I know I'm totally biased because I cut my teeth on KC/EC/RC-135's but I always liked working on Boeing stuff. You guys know that every manufacturer intentionally uses as much of their engineering from previous designs on each new model...saves time and money and makes the mechanics life easier, too. I've been working on Cessna Citations for about 20 years so I'm pretty comfortable with all the models due to commonality but the last year or so I've been doing heavy mods on Beech King Airs. Talk about feeling like a fish out of water. The prints, maintenance manuals, and design just make no sense to me. Thank God for tribal knowledge.

As far as aircraft flaws...I have never heard of ANY aircraft ever built...no matter how much the pilots, mechanics, or passengers loved them...that didn't have some system or characteristic that was subpar in some way. I've worked planes that just never broke...spent more time polishing tools and sweeping the hanger floor than turning wrenches...but the pilots hated them. Conversely, I've had pilots get out of the cockpit with a shit eating grin and it's taken a week to get that thing flyable again.

Post a reply to: Historic Aircraft from back in the day

The Latest