Hip replacement surgery

Related:
Create New Tag

5/28/2020 3:11 PM

Just got the go ahead to get my right hip replaced after years of pain, soreness, immobility, and a general assache. Doin' cartwheels here. Can't have any medical procedure done without consulting the Vital MXperts first of course. But really, I know people who have the procedure done but they are not motoheads like us. I'm convinced we are physically superior compared to the rest of humanity, and that we have a substantially higher threshold for pain. Its in our DNA. Just ask any MD. My hip is totally shot so they are going for the full monty replacement. Im certain some, or even a bunch on here have had this done, how did you respond, can you still ride (race), are you still limited, how did therapy/rehab go, any tips, advice, etc.
Thanx in advance,
Nairb

|

5/28/2020 3:25 PM

Sumdood had one replaced.
|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

5/28/2020 3:53 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/28/2020 4:01 PM

I had both of mine replaced. I don’t race but can comfortably off-road. Much better now that the pain is gone. The hips were fairly easy. The knee I had replaced has proven more challenging in trying to get back to cycling and riding off-road.
* Pick a surgeon carefully. Find one that does a lot of replacements and uses the most modern technique.
* Go into the surgery in the best possible shape and as light as possible.
* Use a professional Physical Therapist for the first 3-4 weeks after the surgery.

Those are what I found most helpful and I’m sure there are more that others can add.

|

5/28/2020 4:07 PM

And I hope it goes as smoothly and successfully as possible. I waited far too long for the first replacement. The pain was so bad I could barely walk. Just because I thought it was best to “stay 100% biological until later in life”. I was wrong to sacrifice a couple of years of riding due to debilitating pain.

|

5/28/2020 4:26 PM

My pain started 3 years ago but recently took a bad turn, and walking is a joke. Only exercise I can do is cycling on flat ground with no incline at mellow pace. I'm 50 yrs old, the therapy also seemed to me to be ultra important. My knee is going to looked at too, PT issues. Surgeon is refferal from friend. Good to hear that its not a game ender. All good info.

|

5/29/2020 7:30 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/29/2020 7:48 AM

I've had 3 of them actually. If you're interested on the details why I can go into it but lets talk about the good stuff.

First thing you're going to want to hear is I do everything I did before, ride offroad, race moto, (if the otmx 60 novice class counts as racing lol) walk as far as I want, surf, swim, body surf, ride bicycles, and am on my feet walking and bending over all day with zero issues, I don't even think about having fake hips anymore. You'll be "Fixed" As far as the procedure I agree with everything nighttrain said. The surgeon is the key to the whole thing. If you have a choice (and you should) make sure he uses the "Anterior" approach, in through the front or side, the "Posterior" approach through the butt cheek is bullshit, they go through way more muscles and the recovery is 4x longer. So remember "Anterior" Go in through the front or side, or find another doctor that will. I've had both and the difference is HUGE. I'd be surprised if they still do posterior approaches. The one that failed on me was metal on metal, I'd be leery of metal on metal. The 2 I have now are ceramic coated titanium ball into a polyethelne cup and they feel like nothing ever happened. So health kick big time if you're not already, the lighter and stronger you are going in the better. Do what the PT says and before you know it you'll be good to go. The last one I had my surgery was in the morning, I was back home by 6pm, and the pt had me walking up and down the street in a walker the next day. A month later I was walking unassisted with no limp, and went back to work at 6 weeks, not lifting shit but driving around, walking in and out of yards etc. You're going to be stoked ! Good luck !

ps. I waited 6 months before I started riding and waited about 8 months before I started back on tracks and racing. It felt like I could have done that sooner, but I wanted to make sure the bones had fully grown into the implants. My doc said it's solid at 6 months but the bone grows into the implant for about a year. And I'm sure you already know if you bring up dirt bikes they'll say "that's not a good idea", but you already know that haha

|

5/29/2020 12:53 PM

sumdood wrote:

I've had 3 of them actually. If you're interested on the details why I can go into it but lets talk about the good stuff.

First thing you're going to want to hear is I do everything I did before, ride offroad, race moto, (if the otmx 60 novice class counts as racing lol) walk as far as I want, surf, swim, body surf, ride bicycles, and am on my feet walking and bending over all day with zero issues, I don't even think about having fake hips anymore. You'll be "Fixed" As far as the procedure I agree with everything nighttrain said. The surgeon is the key to the whole thing. If you have a choice (and you should) make sure he uses the "Anterior" approach, in through the front or side, the "Posterior" approach through the butt cheek is bullshit, they go through way more muscles and the recovery is 4x longer. So remember "Anterior" Go in through the front or side, or find another doctor that will. I've had both and the difference is HUGE. I'd be surprised if they still do posterior approaches. The one that failed on me was metal on metal, I'd be leery of metal on metal. The 2 I have now are ceramic coated titanium ball into a polyethelne cup and they feel like nothing ever happened. So health kick big time if you're not already, the lighter and stronger you are going in the better. Do what the PT says and before you know it you'll be good to go. The last one I had my surgery was in the morning, I was back home by 6pm, and the pt had me walking up and down the street in a walker the next day. A month later I was walking unassisted with no limp, and went back to work at 6 weeks, not lifting shit but driving around, walking in and out of yards etc. You're going to be stoked ! Good luck !

ps. I waited 6 months before I started riding and waited about 8 months before I started back on tracks and racing. It felt like I could have done that sooner, but I wanted to make sure the bones had fully grown into the implants. My doc said it's solid at 6 months but the bone grows into the implant for about a year. And I'm sure you already know if you bring up dirt bikes they'll say "that's not a good idea", but you already know that haha

I'm 99% sure my surgerey will be anterior approach from the side, and it's ceramic coated femur ball with the same cup. Definitely prepping for surgerey, exercising, diet and training for it. Glad your results were so good I'm hoping for the same. My father had his replaced back in 2005 and he is doing great today, he was 70 then. I keep hearing that hip replacement surgery has advanced by light years since then too.

|

5/29/2020 1:46 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/29/2020 1:51 PM

Nairb#70 wrote:

I'm 99% sure my surgerey will be anterior approach from the side, and it's ceramic coated femur ball with the same cup. Definitely prepping for surgerey, exercising, diet and training for it. Glad your results were so good I'm hoping for the same. My father had his replaced back in 2005 and he is doing great today, he was 70 then. I keep hearing that hip replacement surgery has advanced by light years since then too.

You're going to be so stoked you did it. I can't speak for you but for me being in constant pain was making me a grouchy prick, and taking the Vicodin they prescribed me when they (Kaiser) were trying to postpone the surgery (until I was completely useless i guess) just made it worse. Then I had a hard time getting off of that shit. But now I barely take Advil, maybe 3 or 4 after riding or a long day but most days I don't take anything. You said it's your right leg, this sound familiar ? To go ride the first task is loading the bike, which fucking hurts, then you have to unload and get your boots and gear on 35-40 miserable minutes. Then you have to climb on the bike like a horse cause there's no fucking way your leg is going over the back fender, then you need to start the bike, if you have a button no big deal, if you don't, you have to grab your pants and lift your leg up onto the kick starter. Then you're going to suck ass in right hand corners cause taking your right foot off the peg fucking hurts enough that you really don't want to do it. At the end of the moto or ride I perfected an easy way to get off the bike. When your almost stopped slide off the back fender so your leg doesn't have to stretch over the seat, (take extra care not to squish your nuts on the back fender). One of the highlights of my recovery was the day I could throw my leg over the bike, and lift it up onto the kick starter unassisted like a normal human laughing laughing You'll have to practice walking normal, I gimped around for so long that it was like auto pilot to limp, sounds stupid but after gimping for years it kind of becomes natural. The PT will say "Concentrate on walking normal" lol.

|

5/29/2020 2:40 PM

For me this has progressed very quickly, first saw the surgeon on 5/11. My pre-op appt is 6/3 and surgery is scheduled for 6/16, so Im grateful for that. Ive been limping for 4 yrs and it got proggressively worse over time. I havent been on any pain meds yet except OTC. Your symptoms read exactly like mine and the steps and measures to take are identical. Got my liver checked and its good, but I hate taking Ibs or Naproxen. No doubt Im soooo pumped and I seriously feel like Im getting my life given back to me. Life with a bad hip is far worse than you can imagine.

|

5/31/2020 8:54 AM

I'm 52 and I'm 1.5 years into a full right hip replacement and I agree with everything posted so far except I did have a posterior procedure and it healed crazy-fast like Sumdood's Anterior procedure. The doc had a legit reason for going in through my Ass, but I can't remember now what it was. YMMV.

Same as others:

* Wish I would have had it way earlier. Once I got to the right Doc, he agreed. I tried one Steroid shot that didn't do anything and then he was scheduled the replacement.
* Get the best surgeon you can find - look for a Hip specialist and someone with lots of surgeries under their belt.
* I do everything I used to do with only a twinge here and there (downhill skiing was awesome this past winter - until Covid anyway)
* I don't off road anymore but I ride a Ducati Monster like I stole it and have no issues
* Post Op pain management: get off the Opioids as soon as you can.
* My PT said to stop skiiing and riding motorcycles but the Doc said to listen to your body and do what feels do-able.
* This is my biggest point: Some medical folks have knee-jerk reaction to say you can't do stuff simply because they classify stuff into the "scary things" bucket. Listen closely to how they say this and ask them to clarify exactly what it is about the activity that might cause an issue. If they can't articulate a valid concern, they're likely just pulling the fear out of their ass.
* This is especially true about anything related to motorcycles. My doc explained exactly which kinds of torque/torsion would fuck up my hip (knee to the inside while my foot came around outside). When I ski, this is on my mind and I am aware of how I fall and twist that leg. If I rode dirt, I would be very aware of dabbing that foot or planting it a corner to make sure that outside twist motion didn't happen.

|

5/31/2020 3:56 PM

That’s good stuff, Benstone.

You can also ask to keep your bone. Mine had been in the freezer since the surgery. Eventually I’ll push it deep down in a fire-ant hill and let them clean it up. Then I plan to install it on the end of a hiking stick. Pretty cool, eh?

Photo

|

5/31/2020 4:09 PM

sumdood wrote:

You're going to be so stoked you did it. I can't speak for you but for me being in constant pain was making me a grouchy prick, and taking the Vicodin they prescribed me when they (Kaiser) were trying to postpone the surgery (until I was completely useless i guess) just made it worse. Then I had a hard time getting off of that shit. But now I barely take Advil, maybe 3 or 4 after riding or a long day but most days I don't take anything. You said it's your right leg, this sound familiar ? To go ride the first task is loading the bike, which fucking hurts, then you have to unload and get your boots and gear on 35-40 miserable minutes. Then you have to climb on the bike like a horse cause there's no fucking way your leg is going over the back fender, then you need to start the bike, if you have a button no big deal, if you don't, you have to grab your pants and lift your leg up onto the kick starter. Then you're going to suck ass in right hand corners cause taking your right foot off the peg fucking hurts enough that you really don't want to do it. At the end of the moto or ride I perfected an easy way to get off the bike. When your almost stopped slide off the back fender so your leg doesn't have to stretch over the seat, (take extra care not to squish your nuts on the back fender). One of the highlights of my recovery was the day I could throw my leg over the bike, and lift it up onto the kick starter unassisted like a normal human laughing laughing You'll have to practice walking normal, I gimped around for so long that it was like auto pilot to limp, sounds stupid but after gimping for years it kind of becomes natural. The PT will say "Concentrate on walking normal" lol.

Our story is very similar, Sumdood. I even had a FAI Corrective surgery. It was a major waste of money, pain, and time. I flew into Nashville to have a famous surgeon perform that one. What a mistake it turned out to be.

At the end before the replacement I had to put my chest on the gas tank and then slide my extended leg over the rear fender and seat. My son said it embarrassed him when people were around, haha. And there was no way to raise my leg in turns while seated. The pain was debilitating. I had to learn turn while standing on the pegs. That’s was actual kinda cool.

|

5/31/2020 5:12 PM

Nighttrain I really wanted to keep the implants when they revised my right side, they said they needed for insurance and other reasons. That hunk of femur is both cool and creepy as fuck at the same time haha. I can’t wait to see the finished project !!

|