Good thing you guys are against the death penalty.

newmann
Edited Date/Time 9/24/2015 8:00pm
Sure would hate to have seen these two put to death. After all, they apologized at sentencing. Whistling

http://wtop.com/virginia/2015/08/iowa-duo-set-for-sentencing-for-sex-tr…

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) — Two Iowa residents were sentenced to decades in prison Friday for forcing a young woman into prostitution and torturing her, leaving her with physical and psychological scars that a judge said might never heal.

U.S. District Judge Henry Hudson sentenced Aldair Hodza to almost 42 years in prison. He sentenced Laura Sorensen to 40 years.

Defense attorneys and prosecutors had recommended prison terms of 35 years — 11 more than the top end of the federal sentencing guideline range for their guilty pleas to transporting a person across state lines for prostitution. Hudson said that after looking at photographs of the victim’s wounds, he decided even that was not enough.

“She may never be able to have a normal relationship because of the unusual and rare level of depravity in this case,” Hudson said.

According to court papers, the defendants from Clive, Iowa, lured the victim into a recreational vehicle last December by saying they would take her to see a friend. Prosecutor Angela Miller said the sign posted over the entrance to Dante’s Inferno — “Abandon hope, all ye who enter here” — would have been appropriate over the door of that RV.

For the next 18 days, the 20-year-old victim was sexually assaulted and forced to have sex with men who answered online ads. Hodza, 36, and Sorensen, 31, burned her with keys and scissors heated over the RV’s stove and extinguished cigarettes on her body. They drove nails into her feet, poured bleach into her wounds, and dragged her by a dog leash down a gravel path.

Hodza’s 8-year-old daughter witnessed some of the abuse and was in the vehicle during some of the sex acts.

The victim feared for her life after Hodza slit a dog’s throat in the RV and threatened to kill her by slowly cutting out her organs if she did not cooperate, the prosecutor said.

The torture finally ended when a trucker at a New Kent County truck stop called police after spotting through the RV window a woman who appeared frightened and malnourished.

Sorensen trembled as Miller recited details of the abuse.

The victim, surrounded by family and friends, listened but did not testify. Miller said she has been unable to talk about the ordeal even to her doctors.

Both defendants apologized before being sentenced.

“This is monstrous, horrible, senseless, inexplicable, inexcusable,” Hodza said. “I offer sincere apologies. I know that doesn’t mean much because I can’t take back what happened.”

Sorensen said she is “very sorry” and added: “I made a bad choice. However, I am not a bad person.”

The judge said he believes Sorensen is dangerous and that Hodza has “a dangerously dark side.”

“Some of the things you did to this young lady are so horrifying you cannot capture it in words,” Hudson told Hodza.

Defense attorneys said both defendants were abused as children. They agreed to lengthy sentences to avoid charges of kidnapping, which is punishable by up to life in prison.
|
Barrett57
8/15/2015 7:15am
The same people who moan about big government, are also in favor of the state killing it's own citizens.

jarvinator
8/15/2015 7:21am
Another sorry case...this is crazy; a co-worker and I discussed this just the other day; from wiki

The Cheshire, Connecticut, home invasion murders occurred on July 23, 2007. Jennifer Hawke-Petit and her two daughters were murdered, while her husband, Dr. William Petit, was injured during a home invasion in Cheshire, Connecticut.[1] The Hartford Courant referred to the case as "possibly the most widely publicized crime in the state's history".[2] In 2010 Steven Hayes was convicted of the murders and sentenced to death. His accomplice, Joshua Komisarjevsky, was found guilty on October 13, 2011, and sentenced to death on January 27, 2012.[3] In August 2015 the state of Connecticut abolished the death penalty, which means that both Hayes and Komisarjevsky would have their death sentences turned into life sentences.[4]
byke
8/15/2015 9:35am
When I was younger, I was super pro death penalty. As I age, I'm stunned at the level of incompetence and unethical behavior, especially with anything government related. If those people really are guilty, I'd like them run through the wood chipper on its slowest setting, but who knows what the truth is anymore.

The Shop

WeiserGuy
8/15/2015 10:04am Edited Date/Time 8/15/2015 10:25am
If I ran this country we'd have death penalty night on prime time TV. Piss on housing death row inmates that are more expensive to imprison and show people of America that violent crimes WON'T be tolerated. They should be given ONE speedy appeal overseen by a committee of judges and if not overturned they should receive nothing more than a piece of lead to the head on live TV. Before they are executed a screen with the crimes they committed will appear to let everyone understand this is what happens to people who perform these types of horrific acts of violence. I would bet my left nut that violent crimes in this country would plummet to an all time low and within a year there would be no death row (besides those waiting an appeal). Shells are much cheaper than the high dollar executions this country orchestrates and budgets could be drastically cut in many forms since housing ALL the death row demons wouldn't be required anymore. Wednesday Night Death Night, kinda has a nice ring to it!

James Holmes slaughters innocent people and changes so many lifes forever only to get life in prison. 3 meals a day, warm bed, free healthcare, free dental for life all carried on the tax payers back! Also I don't care for courts allowing someone to claim insanity, doesn't matter and eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth.
Rooster
8/15/2015 10:10am
WeiserGuy wrote:
If I ran this country we'd have death penalty night on prime time TV. Piss on housing death row inmates that are more expensive to imprison...
If I ran this country we'd have death penalty night on prime time TV. Piss on housing death row inmates that are more expensive to imprison and show people of America that violent crimes WON'T be tolerated. They should be given ONE speedy appeal overseen by a committee of judges and if not overturned they should receive nothing more than a piece of lead to the head on live TV. Before they are executed a screen with the crimes they committed will appear to let everyone understand this is what happens to people who perform these types of horrific acts of violence. I would bet my left nut that violent crimes in this country would plummet to an all time low and within a year there would be no death row (besides those waiting an appeal). Shells are much cheaper than the high dollar executions this country orchestrates and budgets could be drastically cut in many forms since housing ALL the death row demons wouldn't be required anymore. Wednesday Night Death Night, kinda has a nice ring to it!

James Holmes slaughters innocent people and changes so many lifes forever only to get life in prison. 3 meals a day, warm bed, free healthcare, free dental for life all carried on the tax payers back! Also I don't care for courts allowing someone to claim insanity, doesn't matter and eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth.
You'd love living in the middle east. That's basically how they do it over there.

You could even participate in a public stoning and get to throw a few rocks yourself.
8/15/2015 10:55am
WeiserGuy wrote:
If I ran this country we'd have death penalty night on prime time TV. Piss on housing death row inmates that are more expensive to imprison...

Rooster wrote:
You'd love living in the middle east. That's basically how they do it over there. You could even participate in a public stoning and get to...
You'd love living in the middle east. That's basically how they do it over there.

You could even participate in a public stoning and get to throw a few rocks yourself.
For real...that is a pretty disturbing scenario. Reminds me of that Churchill quote: "the best argument against Democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter."
8/15/2015 11:05am
Barrett57 wrote:
The same people who moan about big government, are also in favor of the state killing it's own citizens.

Yes, don't touch our guns, our flags or our free speech, but go ahead and kill us if you think we're guilty.
Four people exonerated from death row this year alone:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-watch/wp/2015/06/10/texas-death…

Texas death row inmate Alfred Dewayne Brown was released from prison Monday. He spent 10 years on death row. A huge portion of the credit for his release goes to Houston Chronicle columnist Lisa Falkenberg, who won a Pulitzer for her coverage of the case.

Brown had an alibi for the crime for which he was convicted — an armed robbery that resulted in the death of a police officer. Brown said he was staying at his girlfriend’s apartment at the time of the robbery. But after a browbeating from a Houston cop who inexplicably served as foreman on the grand jury that indicted Brown, the woman changed her testimony. Grand jury transcripts would later show that during her testimony, the cop/foreman threatened to indict Brown’s girlfriend for perjury and threatened to take away her children. She was eventually jailed for seven weeks, then released when she changed her testimony to contradict Brown’s alibi. Without his girlfriend’s testimony, Brown was convicted and sentenced to death.

Seven years later, Brown’s attorneys discovered phone records confirming that Brown had called his girlfriend at her job from her apartment around the time of the murder. Not only were those records never given to Brown’s defense attorneys, the records were found in the garage of a Houston homicide detective.

As I reported here at The Watch last summer, leaked grand jury documents later showed that the same cop who threatened Brown’s girlfriend had served on at least nine other grand juries. This was thanks to a grand jury selection system known as the “key man” system, which critics say allows judges and prosecutors to stack grand juries with people most likely to do the state’s bidding. The Texas legislature has since started to reform the key man system.

According to the Death Penalty Information Center, Brown is the 12th death row exoneration since 2013, and the fourth death row inmate exonerated so far this year.
Sunhouse
8/15/2015 12:06pm
Defense attorneys said both defendants were abused as children. They agreed to lengthy sentences to avoid charges of kidnapping, which is punishable by up to life in prison.

So basically they are a product of their upbringing. They were abused as kids, no wonder they turned out the way they did. And they deserve to be put to death? They have probably been to hell and back since childhood. They are a product of the society they grew up in. If the society couldn´t protect them as kids, why should they be killed by the society which let them down in the first place? (this could be discussed in the abortion thread too btw - unfit parents, not being able to take good care of their kids, druggies etc.)

Another thing I really don´t get is the plea bargaining you have in the US. There is no way a prosecutor here would not charge someone with a crime, just to make sure someone pleads guilty for something else. If a prosecutor believes he can prove them guilty of kidnapping too, it should be his/her job to make sure those charges will stand court. I have never been able to figure out the rationality behind that, although I understand the reasoning. It´s a way to get away with something just to make the court procedure quicker, and guarantee a sentencing. It´s just not right IMO. Oh well, cultural differences I suppose...
newmann
8/15/2015 1:32pm
Sunhouse wrote:
[i]Defense attorneys said both defendants were abused as children. They agreed to lengthy sentences to avoid charges of kidnapping, which is punishable by up to life...

So basically they are a product of their upbringing. They were abused as kids, no wonder they turned out the way they did. And they deserve to be put to death? They have probably been to hell and back since childhood. They are a product of the society they grew up in. If the society couldn´t protect them as kids, why should they be killed by the society which let them down in the first place? (this could be discussed in the abortion thread too btw - unfit parents, not being able to take good care of their kids, druggies etc.)

Another thing I really don´t get is the plea bargaining you have in the US. There is no way a prosecutor here would not charge someone with a crime, just to make sure someone pleads guilty for something else. If a prosecutor believes he can prove them guilty of kidnapping too, it should be his/her job to make sure those charges will stand court. I have never been able to figure out the rationality behind that, although I understand the reasoning. It´s a way to get away with something just to make the court procedure quicker, and guarantee a sentencing. It´s just not right IMO. Oh well, cultural differences I suppose...
So they were excellent candidates for abortion but not the death penalty. Please continue.
8/15/2015 1:44pm
Is it punishment if you don't know you have been punished......or is it just revenge death penalty supporters after?
8/15/2015 2:12pm
Sunhouse wrote:
[i]Defense attorneys said both defendants were abused as children. They agreed to lengthy sentences to avoid charges of kidnapping, which is punishable by up to life...

Our justice system is a joke; I believe around 90% of cases are plea bargained out. It seems to be a matter of logistics at this point with a system that is too overwhelmed to handle the sheer amount of cases thrown at it. Pleas bargains are easy outs with prosecutorial bullying, i.e. you either accept their offer or else the penalties will be much stiffer if you go to trial and are found guilty.
8/15/2015 2:19pm
Is it punishment if you don't know you have been punished......or is it just revenge death penalty supporters after?
Probably revenge. Newmann seems to think everyone should tote a gun and cure violence with violence.
Parris
8/15/2015 3:16pm
I lived in a village in Vietnam where basically the people policed themselves. The Vietnamese were always tricking each other out of money. Stealing your money by tricking you was just excepted for the most part. If you had any dispute the village leaders could not handle a police officer would be at the market on Sunday to hear your story. But 90% of the time there was what I call street justice. Get caught in the act of stealing a scooter or a dog you are going to get your ass kicked to the edge. And if the thief dies its just part of the job.

P.S. No guns in the village
newmann
8/15/2015 3:20pm
Probably revenge. Newmann seems to think everyone should tote a gun and cure violence with violence.
Nah, far from it but you go ahead with your new screen name of the week and cool stories. I just have no problem with sick fucks like those in the op meeting their demise. You are welcome to invite them into your home though. You could drive the motorhome and keep them on the straight and narrow even.
8/15/2015 3:31pm
newmann wrote:
Nah, far from it but you go ahead with your new screen name of the week and cool stories. I just have no problem with sick...
Nah, far from it but you go ahead with your new screen name of the week and cool stories. I just have no problem with sick fucks like those in the op meeting their demise. You are welcome to invite them into your home though. You could drive the motorhome and keep them on the straight and narrow even.
A life time spent in a 6ftx6ftx6ft box would be my answer, when a dog is sick it gets put down to 'end its suffering' as a compassionate act, why is it different with a human? You seem to think I'm more compassionate towards these scum.....
newmann
8/15/2015 4:53pm
newmann wrote:
Nah, far from it but you go ahead with your new screen name of the week and cool stories. I just have no problem with sick...
A life time spent in a 6ftx6ftx6ft box would be my answer, when a dog is sick it gets put down to 'end its suffering' as...
A life time spent in a 6ftx6ftx6ft box would be my answer, when a dog is sick it gets put down to 'end its suffering' as a compassionate act, why is it different with a human? You seem to think I'm more compassionate towards these scum.....
Was replying to the panda boy.
watson
8/15/2015 5:20pm
Sunhouse wrote:

newmann wrote:
So they were excellent candidates for abortion but not the death penalty. Please continue.
Being born to people that had no fucking business ever raising kids and stopping a lot of undue suffering from multiple parties in the future? Explained it in one sentence!

Here's an actual contradiction: People arguing pro-choicers on the basis of the sanctity of life yet being in support of the death penalty.
h&m_cycle
8/15/2015 5:27pm Edited Date/Time 8/15/2015 5:28pm
If Guilty Kill Them... heard it costs the taxpayers more because of the appeals though...
DPR250R
8/15/2015 5:56pm Edited Date/Time 8/15/2015 5:59pm
h&m_cycle wrote:
If Guilty Kill Them... heard it costs the taxpayers more because of the appeals though...
As long as they dont make it back into society, my vote is for whatever is cheaper.

Honestly... Truly disturbing article. Reminds me of the girl in California they found in that nut jobs back yard.
mxb2
8/15/2015 6:29pm
Dont break the law simple., or know what the penslty will be. There should be a fear factor in the courts. , Common sense will keep ya outa trouble.
borg
8/15/2015 7:00pm
In April 2015, the Death Penalty Information Center said that there had been 152 exonerations of prisoners on death row in the United States since 1973.
From Wikipedia.

These are people that were convicted in a court of law that were later found to be innocent. Do you think that they found all of them. What if your wife/son/daughter/father/mother/friend was one they didn't find?

You trust the fucking morons that get roped into jury duty?
You trust the DA's that bring capital charges and are also running for higher office?
You trust the fucking government to decide who lives and dies?

This particular case notwithstanding, there is no justice in a system that executes innocent people.

Goddamit newmann, please don't tell me that you accept the tradeoff that "sure, we might fry a few that didn't deserve it but I'm OK with that".

So yes. I'm against the death penalty. Another strike against my "conservative" credentials.
WeiserGuy
8/15/2015 8:46pm
I will retract some of what I said. Guess a couple cervezas after working a 12 in extreme heat wasn't the answer. Also a couple gruesome cases in my state really influenced the tone of my post and I will say there was a sprinkle of sarcasm also.

I understand we're not a third world country and I don't feel as if we should just off everyone on DR. However I do strongly feel that without a doubt a 100% smoking gun that the person is guilty (video, multiple witnesses, confessions , etc.) then they should be put to death. I admit the single appeal was a bit much, my bad wasn't thinking to clearly.
8/16/2015 12:51am Edited Date/Time 8/16/2015 1:00am
newmann wrote:
A life time spent in a 6ftx6ftx6ft box would be my answer, when a dog is sick it gets put down to 'end its suffering' as...
newmann wrote:
Was replying to the panda boy.
Yes, indeed. I think Andy was replying to me.
tvo314
8/16/2015 1:58am Edited Date/Time 8/16/2015 8:06am
Parris wrote:
I lived in a village in Vietnam where basically the people policed themselves. The Vietnamese were always tricking each other out of money. Stealing your money...
I lived in a village in Vietnam where basically the people policed themselves. The Vietnamese were always tricking each other out of money. Stealing your money by tricking you was just excepted for the most part. If you had any dispute the village leaders could not handle a police officer would be at the market on Sunday to hear your story. But 90% of the time there was what I call street justice. Get caught in the act of stealing a scooter or a dog you are going to get your ass kicked to the edge. And if the thief dies its just part of the job.

P.S. No guns in the village
This still is very often the case here. The police are completely incompetent at best and horribly corrupt (mostly this) the rest of the time. Dog thieves are often caught in the countryside and killed by the villagers, precisely because they know the police are incapable or unwilling to deliver justice. Unfortunately this same mob mentality just as often results in some poor sap getting the hell beat out him for some personal grudge or something petty. Society here still has a long way to go.

As for the death penalty, I personally have no moral issue with murderers and rapists being put to death, but like others have mentioned we have proven that the system isn't perfect and too often we get the wrong guy. For that reason, I don't support capital punishment.

What village did you live in by the way, out of curiosity?

8/16/2015 7:11am
Why do some of you show such concern for people who would do what these people did?
What if this victim was YOUR mother....or YOUR sister, ...or YOUR daughter?

Can any of you posting here can say something similar has happened to a close friend or family member or yourself? I dont think you can!

Some of us feel more compassion for the victim than the criminal. How some of you can feel more for the violent offender is beyond me!! Any of your posts attacking the people who want the criminal put down is basically a defense for the criminal and a further disconcern for that victim. You people are messed up! And I have to wonder if you are not some kind of torturous murderous thugs yourself that get off on that kind of shit!?

one poster above gives them a pass because they "claim" they were both abused as kids and know no better.....yet they apologize for what they did.? again ....no sense what so ever! They knew full well what they were doing. As most all criminals do.....Its why they try to hide it!

another poster goes for the case of "sanctity of life but pro death penalty" argument.....REALLY? Since when do fetuses jump out of the mother and run around committing these types of crimes?

You goodie goodie people that want to give these people a pass to live should put yourself on a list to be the only ones to feed and house them in prison. (or just let them come live with you...which I would LOVE to see happen!) Because I sure hate knowing some of the tax dollars I contribute to the pool is keeping these violent animals breathing.
But yeah, we're the bad people for trying to protect or get justice for the victims......Good liberal reasoning right there!Pinch
mxb2
8/16/2015 8:22am
Why do some of you show such concern for people who would do what these people did? What if this victim was YOUR mother....or YOUR sister...
Why do some of you show such concern for people who would do what these people did?

Can any of you posting here can say something similar has happened to a close friend or family member or yourself? I dont think you can!

Some of us feel more compassion for the victim than the criminal. How some of you can feel more for the violent offender is beyond me!! Any of your posts attacking the people who want the criminal put down is basically a defense for the criminal and a further disconcern for that victim. You people are messed up! And I have to wonder if you are not some kind of torturous murderous thugs yourself that get off on that kind of shit!?

one poster above gives them a pass because they "claim" they were both abused as kids and know no better.....yet they apologize for what they did.? again ....no sense what so ever! They knew full well what they were doing. As most all criminals do.....Its why they try to hide it!

another poster goes for the case of "sanctity of life but pro death penalty" argument.....REALLY? Since when do fetuses jump out of the mother and run around committing these types of crimes?

You goodie goodie people that want to give these people a pass to live should put yourself on a list to be the only ones to feed and house them in prison. (or just let them come live with you...which I would LOVE to see happen!) Because I sure hate knowing some of the tax dollars I contribute to the pool is keeping these violent animals breathing.
But yeah, we're the bad people for trying to protect or get justice for the victims......Good liberal reasoning right there!Pinch
Naw man they only justice when they are a victim, otherwise we are to cruel to the criminals, here s a clue, dont get arrested or put yourself in a position to be in prison. And i bet they live in nice areas, and never had a gun to their temple. The people they defend will be the first to rob, rape, steal from them. Wake up society, these criminal dgaf about you.
watson
8/16/2015 9:11am
Why do some of you show such concern for people who would do what these people did? What if this victim was YOUR mother....or YOUR sister...

You're putting words into people's mouths. Absolutely no-one in this thread feels more compassion for the criminal than the victim. What they are doing is offering explanations as to how these criminals ended up this way, and why it might not be fair to put someone to death when society had failed them in the first place (Sunhouse's argument). Absolutely nobody commits these horrific acts as normal, functional human beings with a healthy upbringing. Borg was also arguing that's there's no justice in a system that executes innocent people (for the sake of some that were blatantly guilty), which is an excellent point.

As for your "do fetuses jump out of the mother and run around committing these types of crimes" argument, yes, they do- when they are of age and born into significantly disadvantaged situations. In fact, there is considerable evidence for this.

Additionally, it costs way more of your tax dollars to put someone to death than to do life in prison. All these issues are really just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to exactly how fucked up our justice/prison system is.
tvo314
8/16/2015 9:15am
watson wrote:
You're putting words into people's mouths. Absolutely no-one in this thread feels more compassion for the criminal than the victim. What they [i]are[/i] doing is offering...
You're putting words into people's mouths. Absolutely no-one in this thread feels more compassion for the criminal than the victim. What they are doing is offering explanations as to how these criminals ended up this way, and why it might not be fair to put someone to death when society had failed them in the first place (Sunhouse's argument). Absolutely nobody commits these horrific acts as normal, functional human beings with a healthy upbringing. Borg was also arguing that's there's no justice in a system that executes innocent people (for the sake of some that were blatantly guilty), which is an excellent point.

As for your "do fetuses jump out of the mother and run around committing these types of crimes" argument, yes, they do- when they are of age and born into significantly disadvantaged situations. In fact, there is considerable evidence for this.

Additionally, it costs way more of your tax dollars to put someone to death than to do life in prison. All these issues are really just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to exactly how fucked up our justice/prison system is.
Well said.
Rooster
8/16/2015 9:24am
People who are against the death penalty are not against punishing the offenders.

We just don't think that an innocent life being taken by mistake is a price we're willing to pay to see some people get the punishment they deserve.

If the cost to the public is to keep them alive and give them three squares a day to keep them off the streets where they can do no more harm, then so be it. If we're paying to lock people up over a couple of joints, then the cost to house a murderer or a rapist or a kidnapper shouldn't be questioned.

Post a reply to: Good thing you guys are against the death penalty.

The Latest