Anyone into RC flying?

soggy
Fantasy
3783rd
9/20/2021 10:52am Edited Date/Time 9/22/2021 6:46pm
I’ve been getting into the hobby over the last few years. Pretty fun way to relax and have some fun if you ask me.

I have a carbon cub, and F-4 phantom (that I haven’t flown to scared haha) and a Sea Fury warbird on the way.
|
soggy
Fantasy
3783rd
9/20/2021 10:57am

Falcon
Fantasy
765th
9/20/2021 11:30am
Does that Phantom have a jet engine? I saw a guy flying a jet-engined RC plane once; that thing was fast and hard to see!
alphado
9/20/2021 12:29pm
The kids and I used to fly ultra lites in a local school gym in the winter months. That was a lot of fun.
PNWRider
9/20/2021 12:57pm
Haven’t flown much lately, but grew up flying often.

Currently have a 182, two Extras (one 1.20 size and one with a Moki 2.10) and am about 25% done building a giant scale (84”) P-51. That will have a DA-50 gas engine and I have the scale retracts with oleo struts. I hope to do the gear doors like the full-scale, where the clamshells are up on takeoff, then come down for gear retraction, then back up. Still scratching my head on how to get them to sequence correctly.

Also have a few kits in the box including a Jet Hangar F-86.

The Shop

PNWRider
9/20/2021 12:59pm
Falcon wrote:
Does that Phantom have a jet engine? I saw a guy flying a jet-engined RC plane once; that thing was fast and hard to see!
Looks like likely an EDF (electric ducted fan).

You likely saw a turbine. Those are amazing as they are literally small jets. Price tag is not small, however…I have heard 10-15K plus all in for the airplane is not uncommon. And like real jets, when they eventually hit the ground it is often accompanied by a big fireball…too rich for me lol.
PNWRider
9/20/2021 1:01pm
soggy wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2021/09/20/510877/s1200_80C2112F_5017_486D_B5AF_4402465860D9.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2021/09/20/510878/s1200_1C58E0DB_E87C_4C8C_A9BE_0D8D62C19F97.jpg[/img]

Love the F-4, always been one of my favorite airplanes.

Loud as $&@% in real life too…
FLmxer
Fantasy
989th
9/20/2021 1:24pm
I had a champ rtf lipo that was a blast. i loved touch and goes. I am definitely getting another now that i have acreage.
mxtech1
9/20/2021 6:34pm
Model planes and flying clubs have really tanked over the last decade. Primarily due to the rising popularity of drones and FPV flying technology.
soggy
Fantasy
3783rd
9/21/2021 6:00am
My sea fury came in yesterday!

FLmxer
Fantasy
989th
9/21/2021 7:34am
I have about 6 drones from all sizes and I flew them all about 7 to 8 times and over it. The starwars drones that shoot each other out of the sky are cool but i would be lucky if they held a charge its been so long. My Typhoon H is a 4k professional drone and its good for airial footage but gets boring.
Falcon
Fantasy
765th
9/21/2021 8:36am
Falcon wrote:
PNWRider wrote:
Looks like likely an EDF (electric ducted fan). You likely saw a turbine. Those are amazing as they are literally small jets. Price tag is not...
Looks like likely an EDF (electric ducted fan).

You likely saw a turbine. Those are amazing as they are literally small jets. Price tag is not small, however…I have heard 10-15K plus all in for the airplane is not uncommon. And like real jets, when they eventually hit the ground it is often accompanied by a big fireball…too rich for me lol.
It was most definitely a small jet engine... sounded like I was at a Blue Angels show. Cool
soggy
Fantasy
3783rd
9/21/2021 8:48am
FLmxer wrote:
I have about 6 drones from all sizes and I flew them all about 7 to 8 times and over it. The starwars drones that shoot...
I have about 6 drones from all sizes and I flew them all about 7 to 8 times and over it. The starwars drones that shoot each other out of the sky are cool but i would be lucky if they held a charge its been so long. My Typhoon H is a 4k professional drone and its good for airial footage but gets boring.
I can see the drones getting old fast. The planes are cool cause they are scale versions of real planes and feels like you are flying the real thing.
early
Fantasy
2139th
9/21/2021 9:43am Edited Date/Time 9/21/2021 12:18pm
I started out with a hobbyzone sport cub with SAFE (auto level with a switch) which was nice when I was figuring out how to fly planes. I had been flying multirotors before that and if they weren't completely screwed up you could just release the sticks and it would stop moving in the air, no such thing with fixed wings!!! Then I built a 4 channel foam board scout with plans from Flite Test. That was a good plane because I could repair it easy, I fly this usually when flying fixed wing. I also have a Radian powered glider which is jus relaxing to fly.

Multirotors or "drones" are either tools or toys. The picture or video you get is the reason for them if they are a tool. Flying the begeezus out of them FPV is some of the most fun you can have with a toy. Flying them line of sight is one of the worst experiences you can have in rc (except tiny ones around the house).
SEEMEFIRST
9/21/2021 5:10pm Edited Date/Time 9/21/2021 5:11pm
When you build them from a box of sticks, it really ramps up the anxiety factor.

I used to fly a lot, but don't like flying without my friends.

I sold off most everything except for the old Areostar 40 that's just easy.

You can "park" it in the air against a 5-6 MPH breeze.

I have killed a few props doing that, but it is fun to try.
motorick5052
9/21/2021 8:14pm
RC flying is my 3rd dirty habit! Ha

I’ve been enjoying the same 3 hobbies as long as I can remember! My folks bought my first dirt bike for me in 1972 and I’m still riding, I bought my first performance bicycle in 1986 and I’m still an avid cyclist and I bought and built my first RC airplane in 1987, as someone mentioned above, the venerable old Aerestar .40 that I still have to this day!

RC flying is a great compliment to moto & cycling that I get a lot of enjoyment from! I’ve done a little competitive flying including some IMAC competitions but I really enjoy the scale side of the hobby and have had some giant scale warbirds including a P-51D model Mustang that had flaps & retracts and I’m currently building a giant scale F6F Hellcat with a 96” wingspan when completed!
RC flying has changed quite a bit over the years, but I find in my experience, the core RC guys are still at it and always will be! Heck I’m still flying at the same RC club that I started at 34 years ago and its as fun now as it was back then!
Internet shopping might be cheaper, but it isn’t as much fun as hanging around the hobby shops BS’ing with the other RC guys, the ARF stuff available now have really changed the hobby, radio technology has changed a ton too and all for the better, I went from FM to PCM to 2.4ghz transmitters, and the electric “Park Zone” ARF’s and the bind and fly stuff are truly amazing!
I love being able to grab a 40” foam ARF, a couple of Li-po batteries and a transmitter and go get in 2 or 3 flights on those evenings that the wind lays down and enough light left in the day to make it happen, and the best part is with no assembly before or cleanup when done!

I’ve got everything from the 18” foam Cub to a glow powered helicopter, a 50cc Gas Aeroworks Extra 300, a 44” foam corsair & T-28 and the F6F I’m trying to build and I love em all!

My son is a fairly accomplished RC pilot too after he started flying when he was 14 or so, and he still flies with me when he can squeeze in the time between a wife and 3 young daughters! He has a nice drone that we’ve used and enjoyed the footage etc from but for us that is NOTHING like flying an RC aircraft!
Flying with no gyro stabilization, preprogrammed GPS points or any of the other drone BS is way more “seat of the pants” fun and we still prefer to fly RC aircraft!

I’d really like to get another EDF jet like your F-4 and the Sea Fury looks awesome!
Good luck with your flying! Wish we lived closer together so we could get in a few motos at the track then burn up the sky with some RC flying!
Thats about a perfect day if ya ask me! Haha
Have fun and keep em flying!
PNWRider
9/22/2021 5:58am
RC flying is my 3rd dirty habit! Ha I’ve been enjoying the same 3 hobbies as long as I can remember! My folks bought my first...
RC flying is my 3rd dirty habit! Ha

I’ve been enjoying the same 3 hobbies as long as I can remember! My folks bought my first dirt bike for me in 1972 and I’m still riding, I bought my first performance bicycle in 1986 and I’m still an avid cyclist and I bought and built my first RC airplane in 1987, as someone mentioned above, the venerable old Aerestar .40 that I still have to this day!

RC flying is a great compliment to moto & cycling that I get a lot of enjoyment from! I’ve done a little competitive flying including some IMAC competitions but I really enjoy the scale side of the hobby and have had some giant scale warbirds including a P-51D model Mustang that had flaps & retracts and I’m currently building a giant scale F6F Hellcat with a 96” wingspan when completed!
RC flying has changed quite a bit over the years, but I find in my experience, the core RC guys are still at it and always will be! Heck I’m still flying at the same RC club that I started at 34 years ago and its as fun now as it was back then!
Internet shopping might be cheaper, but it isn’t as much fun as hanging around the hobby shops BS’ing with the other RC guys, the ARF stuff available now have really changed the hobby, radio technology has changed a ton too and all for the better, I went from FM to PCM to 2.4ghz transmitters, and the electric “Park Zone” ARF’s and the bind and fly stuff are truly amazing!
I love being able to grab a 40” foam ARF, a couple of Li-po batteries and a transmitter and go get in 2 or 3 flights on those evenings that the wind lays down and enough light left in the day to make it happen, and the best part is with no assembly before or cleanup when done!

I’ve got everything from the 18” foam Cub to a glow powered helicopter, a 50cc Gas Aeroworks Extra 300, a 44” foam corsair & T-28 and the F6F I’m trying to build and I love em all!

My son is a fairly accomplished RC pilot too after he started flying when he was 14 or so, and he still flies with me when he can squeeze in the time between a wife and 3 young daughters! He has a nice drone that we’ve used and enjoyed the footage etc from but for us that is NOTHING like flying an RC aircraft!
Flying with no gyro stabilization, preprogrammed GPS points or any of the other drone BS is way more “seat of the pants” fun and we still prefer to fly RC aircraft!

I’d really like to get another EDF jet like your F-4 and the Sea Fury looks awesome!
Good luck with your flying! Wish we lived closer together so we could get in a few motos at the track then burn up the sky with some RC flying!
Thats about a perfect day if ya ask me! Haha
Have fun and keep em flying!
My dad had one of the Aeroworks Extras as well-great airplanes.
ProKawi24
9/22/2021 9:47am
PNWRider wrote:
Haven’t flown much lately, but grew up flying often. Currently have a 182, two Extras (one 1.20 size and one with a Moki 2.10) and am...
Haven’t flown much lately, but grew up flying often.

Currently have a 182, two Extras (one 1.20 size and one with a Moki 2.10) and am about 25% done building a giant scale (84”) P-51. That will have a DA-50 gas engine and I have the scale retracts with oleo struts. I hope to do the gear doors like the full-scale, where the clamshells are up on takeoff, then come down for gear retraction, then back up. Still scratching my head on how to get them to sequence correctly.

Also have a few kits in the box including a Jet Hangar F-86.
Dude you have to show us some pics! As a WW2 plane-history buff and r/c car lover I've always wanted to get into flying planes and the large scale WW2 replicas are so awesome to see. Some guy made a scratch built B-17 with all 4 working gas engines, I couldn't believe it.
motorick5052
9/22/2021 4:38pm

Hopefully these will post correctly…
I had to get a new phone recently so I don’t have any pics of my old P-51 Mustang or my Aeroworks 50cc Extra 300 in this phone, but a pic of our Park Zone Corsairs and my Park Zone T-28. These foam 44” wingspan warbirds fly AMAZING well and look very scale with the wire landing gear removed while in flight! (Easily removed and we just hand launch/belly land recover them for the realistic in flight appearance!)
Both the Corsairs and the T-28 have excellent handling characteristics and anyone that is ready to move on from a trainer would likely be comfortable with either, especially the T-28! (It was after all an advanced trainer!)

The other pics are of my best moto & RC buddy Marty’s
P-61 Black Widow! (Thats my son around 4, standing next to “Nighty Mission” on a fun fly day at our club!)
(Despite the “black widow” name, the A models were all painted olive drab over gray, as was common of
ARMY Air Corp aircraft in late 43!)

He built it by hand over a two year span, from Ziroli plans.
It had a 114 inch wingspan, had functional role spoilers just as the full scale model had and weighed 48 pounds fueled up and ready to fly!
Power was handled by twin Bryson gas engines (62cc if I remember correctly?) swinging 28” props.
It had fully functional oleo strut landing gear, fully functional air brakes, sequenced gear/gear doors, and he simulated every panel line, rivet-head, hatch and zues fastener in scale detail!
Marty is an exceptional RC pilot and after building it and breaking it in, he competed with it in a Scale Master qualifier in Houston Tx, in the scale military category and won the class getting an invitation to the national competition, which sadly he was unable to attend due to his military deployment!
He also did demonstration flights with it at full scale airshows!

After my buddy finished competing with it and flying it for fun, he donated it to the air & space wing of the Oklahoma Museum where it hangs on display to this day!

I’ll have to get a pic or two loaded of my Mustang and the F6F that I’m working on!
reded301
9/22/2021 6:46pm
I had the good fortune of being able to fly with my dad to Ida Grove, IA for the Byron Originals annual mock WW2 show a few times. My dad was into RC as early as the ‘60’s and stayed with it up until a few years ago. Lotta good memories from the RC fields on weekend afternoons when I wasn’t riding/racing.

Post a reply to: Anyone into RC flying?

The Latest