electric start??????

86honda
2/9/2016 5:03pm Edited Date/Time 2/10/2016 1:34pm
This idea isn't new. Why are the Jap brands knee capping their riders by making them kick? in a hot race a start button looks pretty nice.
|
Highsider
2/9/2016 5:08pm Edited Date/Time 2/9/2016 5:09pm
I want a YZ450 electric start as I approach the 64+ Class. Cool
MxKing809
Fantasy
158th
2/9/2016 5:10pm
Matthes just said in another thread it didn't make the cut for the new 2017 CRF450. It sounds petty but I probably would take get one now.
TeamGreen
2/9/2016 5:22pm
Highsider wrote:
They make it

The Shop

86honda
2/9/2016 5:26pm
I'm saying Its a clear advantage.
NATEP231
2/9/2016 6:33pm
Cost.
Sweet I can't wait for the 2017 CRF to jump up to $11,500. Gunna be a great buy for someone 7 months later for $4500.....dirt bikes are so awesome
hvaughn88
2/9/2016 6:43pm
This sport is kinda funny. The motorcycle population is relatively small. Of that population, off road is pretty small. Of that population, Moto is even smaller. We have a tiny, tiny sport and people are still very divided on what they want to see in the progression of bikes.
MX Dad #27
Fantasy
497th
2/9/2016 6:58pm
Highsider wrote:
Well......I tell people you are 64 years young.
GoonSquad250x
Fantasy
3920th
2/9/2016 6:59pm
hvaughn88 wrote:
This sport is kinda funny. The motorcycle population is relatively small. Of that population, off road is pretty small. Of that population, Moto is even smaller...
This sport is kinda funny. The motorcycle population is relatively small. Of that population, off road is pretty small. Of that population, Moto is even smaller. We have a tiny, tiny sport and people are still very divided on what they want to see in the progression of bikes.
This
2/9/2016 7:03pm
86honda wrote:
I'm saying Its a clear advantage.
It is. At the professional levels of racing.

As far as Costs? They went to air forks to save costs... When you're talking thousands and thousands of units little numbers add up. KTM isn't really operating by the same standards as other mfg's. They're really outgoing with their features and editions of bikes... Hopefully the rest catch up someday in areas like that.
kiwifan
2/9/2016 7:16pm
It is. At the professional levels of racing. As far as Costs? They went to air forks to save costs... When you're talking thousands and thousands...

As far as Costs? They went to air forks to save costs... When you're talking thousands and thousands of units little numbers add up. KTM isn't really operating by the same standards as other mfg's. They're really outgoing with their features and editions of bikes... Hopefully the rest catch up someday in areas like that.
Electric start is a clear advantage....? One battery problem and suddenly its a liability, unless you have a backup kick starter.

Yes you get electric start with KTM's they also cost more than other bikes, KTM is going to air forks in 2017....are you expecting a cost reduction?

It wont be long before the Jap bikes cost as much as KTM and are at same level....well some are at the same or better level now, YZF450F for example.
Tim507
2/9/2016 7:21pm
The ButtonWoohoo

64 in April... Love the Button.........
2/9/2016 7:48pm
If it doesn't have a kicker, I won't touch it. I've had too many electrical problems and battery failures to trust a button only bike.
Plus my 69yr old pops would ridicule the hell out of me. He still kicks over his tt500.
2/9/2016 8:32pm
It is. At the professional levels of racing. As far as Costs? They went to air forks to save costs... When you're talking thousands and thousands...

kiwifan wrote:
Electric start is a clear advantage....? One battery problem and suddenly its a liability, unless you have a backup kick starter. Yes you get electric start...
Electric start is a clear advantage....? One battery problem and suddenly its a liability, unless you have a backup kick starter.

Yes you get electric start with KTM's they also cost more than other bikes, KTM is going to air forks in 2017....are you expecting a cost reduction?

It wont be long before the Jap bikes cost as much as KTM and are at same level....well some are at the same or better level now, YZF450F for example.
How many times have you seen dunge be back running in 3 seconds? I know of at least 3 in the past 2 years otomh.
BobPA
2/9/2016 8:39pm
If it doesn't have a kicker, I won't touch it. I've had too many electrical problems and battery failures to trust a button only bike. Plus...
If it doesn't have a kicker, I won't touch it. I've had too many electrical problems and battery failures to trust a button only bike.
Plus my 69yr old pops would ridicule the hell out of me. He still kicks over his tt500.
Don't knock it till you try it.

In 5 years and 200+ hours on my bike and my old mans I had one failure. Which happened because I cartwheeled and it broke a wire going into the start button.

I dread trail riding my two stroke (well kinda)...even though it starts first kick, it is still a pain in the ass kicking it when you realize how much easier e-start is..
keith101
2/9/2016 8:55pm
If it doesn't have a kicker, I won't touch it. I've had too many electrical problems and battery failures to trust a button only bike. Plus...
BobPA wrote:
Don't knock it till you try it. In 5 years and 200+ hours on my bike and my old mans I had one failure. Which happened...

In 5 years and 200+ hours on my bike and my old mans I had one failure. Which happened because I cartwheeled and it broke a wire going into the start button.

I dread trail riding my two stroke (well kinda)...even though it starts first kick, it is still a pain in the ass kicking it when you realize how much easier e-start is..
BobPA, does your mom still run e-Start on her vibrator?

How am I doing? Smile
kiwifan
2/9/2016 8:55pm
How many times have you seen dunge be back running in 3 seconds? I know of at least 3 in the past 2 years otomh.
yes and he has a factory bike so should never have an issue....
2/9/2016 9:23pm
BobPA wrote:
Don't knock it till you try it. In 5 years and 200+ hours on my bike and my old mans I had one failure. Which happened...

I have had a few e-start adventure bikes, and have had a fair share of "what now" situations from the electric start not working properly. Unfortunately there's no real adventure bike with a kicker backup.
colintrax
Fantasy
2302nd
2/9/2016 9:32pm
BobPA wrote:

I have had a few e-start adventure bikes, and have had a fair share of "what now" situations from the electric start not working properly. Unfortunately...
I have had a few e-start adventure bikes, and have had a fair share of "what now" situations from the electric start not working properly. Unfortunately there's no real adventure bike with a kicker backup.
Push it up hill and roll start it, only need to be going a couple mph to crank it.
BobPA
2/9/2016 9:42pm
keith101 wrote:
BobPA, does your mom still run e-Start on her vibrator?

How am I doing? Smile
Getting better.....but she decided to help the environment and convert to an all electric marital aid
2/9/2016 10:07pm
BobPA wrote:

I have had a few e-start adventure bikes, and have had a fair share of "what now" situations from the electric start not working properly. Unfortunately...
colintrax wrote:
Push it up hill and roll start it, only need to be going a couple mph to crank it.
Push 500lbs of motorcycle and gear uphill... No thanks.
On a lightweight mx bike I still don't see the benefit of an e button. More weight, more to go wrong, more to maintain, more cost.
Sure, it MIGHT save you a couple places in a race after a crash or stall, but is it worth the penalty?
For me. No.
colintrax
Fantasy
2302nd
2/9/2016 10:11pm
colintrax wrote:
Push 500lbs of motorcycle and gear uphill... No thanks. On a lightweight mx bike I still don't see the benefit of an e button. More weight...
On a lightweight mx bike I still don't see the benefit of an e button. More weight, more to go wrong, more to maintain, more cost.
Sure, it MIGHT save you a couple places in a race after a crash or stall, but is it worth the penalty?
For me. No.
You're not gonna change my opinion. I'm a skinny shit, and I drove a truck with a broken starter for 3 months. I pushed it many times to get it started. 500 lbs is nowhere close to 3,000lbs
Pushing sucks, but it's certainly an option when the button doesn't work. Other than tight single track.... or in the middle of a moto.
BobPA
2/9/2016 10:21pm
Push 500lbs of motorcycle and gear uphill... No thanks. On a lightweight mx bike I still don't see the benefit of an e button. More weight...
For me. No.
First time I have ever heard of e-start being referred to as a penalty. Wink
hvaughn88
2/10/2016 4:48am
I don't buy the weight argument. These teams could easily get below the weight threshold so I have no doubt they could make the battery weight negligible
Olson
2/10/2016 5:11am
I have never had an e-start problem, but I have broken two kick starters. NOW DEBATE!!! LaughingLaughing
resetjet
2/10/2016 5:19am
I liked the yamaha 250f better, but no estart, so bought the ktm..

Nothing like stalling and then hit the button and losing no time.
2/10/2016 5:36am
resetjet wrote:
I liked the yamaha 250f better, but no estart, so bought the ktm..

Nothing like stalling and then hit the button and losing no time.
I have stalled my crf going into a corner some times, just ditch the clutch and seat bounce that MF, and braap.. LaughingWhistling

If you don't ride a deep sand track, then you're counting pennies in the sand Grinning
Cygnus
2/10/2016 5:57am
Was a guy here who could kick start his bike in the air when he stalled it using the rear brake tap. Think he builds exotic snow machines too.
2/10/2016 6:00am
hvaughn88 wrote:
I don't buy the weight argument. These teams could easily get below the weight threshold so I have no doubt they could make the battery weight...
I don't buy the weight argument. These teams could easily get below the weight threshold so I have no doubt they could make the battery weight negligible
I've got a lithium ion battery in my KTM 450SMR and it weighs less than the small cardboard box that it came in, you'd think the box was actually empty if you picked it up, it weighs absolutely nothing. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I think the newest KTMs now come with a lithium ion as standard. The starter motor is where most of the weight comes from.

Having a button is definitely nicer than kicking, you just have to be on top of your game in terms of keeping your battery topped up, keeping a spare battery incase you need a jump start and learning the starting techniques for your specific battery. I went all the way to Belgium for an event at the end of last year only to have my starter motor fail before getting any track time, luckily someone in the paddock had a spare. Now we carry a spare to all the races. It can be a pain in the ass at times but it's worth it in my opinion. I smile to myself every time I see someone repeatedly kicking their bike without any luck.

Post a reply to: electric start??????

The Latest