Who Uses a Shed as a Workshop/Motorcycle Storage?

sdmx
Fantasy
1781st
Edited Date/Time 5/28/2021 9:02am
My 2 car garage is just getting too tight. I can only fit one car with our 2 bikes and have to pull the car out just to get enough room to work on the bikes. I am thinking of building a 10'X15' shed on my side yard to keep the bikes in and use as a workshop. I can't build another garage because of setback issues.

Please post pics if you have done this. Thanks!
|
Grimace
5/26/2021 1:50pm
I think it could be a good idea. But before you build you might want to check with the city to see the maximum size you can build before you need a permit. Where I live in Orange County, I was allowed a 10x12 before needing a permit. Nice thing is with a shed you don't have to worry about setback code since technically it's "movable" (but it's still smart to leave at least 3 feet or so so you can maintain all the sides, etc). I did have to pull a permit for the electrical in my shed, though.
sdmx
Fantasy
1781st
5/26/2021 2:12pm Edited Date/Time 5/26/2021 2:15pm
Grimace wrote:
I think it could be a good idea. But before you build you might want to check with the city to see the maximum size you...
I think it could be a good idea. But before you build you might want to check with the city to see the maximum size you can build before you need a permit. Where I live in Orange County, I was allowed a 10x12 before needing a permit. Nice thing is with a shed you don't have to worry about setback code since technically it's "movable" (but it's still smart to leave at least 3 feet or so so you can maintain all the sides, etc). I did have to pull a permit for the electrical in my shed, though.
Thanks Grimace! Just checked and mine is limited to 120 sq ft also. You likely saved me some problems down the road. I am thinking of using an extension cord for power. I have a permitted outlet about 3' from where the shed will go.
TooOld4WFO
Fantasy
1450th
5/26/2021 2:23pm
Great post by Grimace. Very accurate info.
I built 2 10x12 separate.
Mine are Sheetrocked and fully insulated.
You could live in them.

I looked at buying a kit where they send a guy to build it where you want.
I wanted specifically certain aspects to mine that seemed unavailable.
I made many trips to Home Depot to get ideas for my own construction.
Mine are all screwed together so no nails. Stupid solid.

If you can do all the work yourself as I did with 2 friends helping it was not a huge savings over just buying a kit.
I even bought my lumber from a lumber yard over Home Depot to save monies.
DA498
5/26/2021 3:29pm
Lumber is insanely pricey right now. But I like your idea.

The Shop

MKMX
5/26/2021 5:16pm
101% of Aussies.
byke
5/26/2021 5:25pm
I used to get by in a 5x8, but man it was rough. A 10x12 would have felt like the Taj Mahal at the time.
Pistonslap
5/26/2021 8:36pm
I have an Amish built 10x15 custom shed and my neighbor has a Lowes/ Home Chepo 10x15 shed. We paid basically the same price except he had to put his together and I didn't. The biggest difference is the roof height. I opted for 7' wall which gave me a 9' roof peak and more importantly the ability to create loft storage. He can't do that because his walls are shorter. If I had to do it all over again I would ask for 8 or 9' walls for a 10-11' peak and get even more loft space.
Zesiger 112
Fantasy
2058th
5/26/2021 8:40pm
Mine is 16x16. Make sure it has good roof ventilation to let trapped heat out (mine doesn’t and it’s miserable) Window unit in the summer. 3 brick propane heater in the winter will be more than enough to make it nice.

yak651
Fantasy
192nd
5/27/2021 5:29am
Mine is 16x16. Make sure it has good roof ventilation to let trapped heat out (mine doesn’t and it’s miserable) Window unit in the summer. 3...
Mine is 16x16. Make sure it has good roof ventilation to let trapped heat out (mine doesn’t and it’s miserable) Window unit in the summer. 3 brick propane heater in the winter will be more than enough to make it nice.

Nice little set up. Do you think insulating walls might help with cooling in summer/heating winter? I like your OCD level organization!

To OP, with the zoning 10x12 is there a limit on how many units? Can you put (2) back to back or with a small divider inbetween? My brother bought an old run down farm. Most of the buildings were falling over but there was one 12x16 shed with loft that was in good shape and one that roof was gone. We took the 2nd one down for the frame work/trusses and put it inline with the "good one". Put on a new roof for both units and now have a 12' x 34' unit (didn't but them up but used 2' spacing between the first and second to gain additional space)
Zesiger 112
Fantasy
2058th
5/27/2021 5:46am Edited Date/Time 5/27/2021 5:48am
Mine is 16x16. Make sure it has good roof ventilation to let trapped heat out (mine doesn’t and it’s miserable) Window unit in the summer. 3...

yak651 wrote:
Nice little set up. Do you think insulating walls might help with cooling in summer/heating winter? I like your OCD level organization! To OP, with the...
Nice little set up. Do you think insulating walls might help with cooling in summer/heating winter? I like your OCD level organization!

To OP, with the zoning 10x12 is there a limit on how many units? Can you put (2) back to back or with a small divider inbetween? My brother bought an old run down farm. Most of the buildings were falling over but there was one 12x16 shed with loft that was in good shape and one that roof was gone. We took the 2nd one down for the frame work/trusses and put it inline with the "good one". Put on a new roof for both units and now have a 12' x 34' unit (didn't but them up but used 2' spacing between the first and second to gain additional space)
Yes insulation would help. But as I am not trying for 24/7 maintained temperature I just don’t feel it’s worth the money. I don’t plan on staying in this so it’s just enough to get by.

Ideally I’d build this same configuration in a corner of a house garage.
Drtbykr
5/27/2021 6:03am
Mine is 12 x 16, good size and multiples of 4 feet.

Not pretty on inside , but is insulated and has a shop heater.
Blackie59
5/27/2021 6:41am

The shed we have in our backyard came with the house when we bought it. My wife wanted to make a she shed out of it but the city won't issue a permit to let us run electricity to it for a light or AC unit. So it's basically just to store junk and works great for a place to put our dirt bikes.

motosmith
5/27/2021 7:17am
I don't store anything in my garage except vehicles and my tool box. I keep everything I own in a 10x12 shed with a covered awning off one side. When i want to work on my bike I wheel it into my garage, when done I wheel it back to the shed. Works great for me.

A few years ago we moved two times in one year. I had a garage full of stuff. Halfway through the second move I had a little mental breakdown and drove a truck full of perfectly good stuff to the dump. Two more truckloads later and my garage was empty.

Now, if it doesn't fit in a 10x12 I wont own it. I currently own two dirt bikes, two lawn mowers, hand tools, power tools, lawn chairs, coolers and fishing poles. A bunch of miscellaneous stuff on shelves and that's about it. Packed shed, clean garage.
bultokid
5/27/2021 7:27am
I bought a 12'x16' TuffShed with the walls insulated. Put a window a/c in and love it.....BUT.....no matter what size you get, you'll always wish you went bigger as these damn dirt bikes somehow keep magically multiplying, especially vintage ones :-) Get the hi-roof and have the lofts installed for storage
TooOld4WFO
Fantasy
1450th
5/27/2021 9:38am
These images are all prior to insulation, Sheetrock (moisture resistant) trim and paint.

Insulation and Sheetrock make a major difference. I have it up against the roof also. I have a shed right next these two without it. It is night and day difference,

sdmx
Fantasy
1781st
5/27/2021 9:45am
TooOld4WFO wrote:
These images are all prior to insulation, Sheetrock (moisture resistant) trim and paint. Insulation and Sheetrock make a major difference. I have it up against the...
These images are all prior to insulation, Sheetrock (moisture resistant) trim and paint.

Insulation and Sheetrock make a major difference. I have it up against the roof also. I have a shed right next these two without it. It is night and day difference,

Nice! Great idea that you (and yak651) had putting two next to each other to make one very large shed. I will be doing that for sure.
catdriver33
5/27/2021 12:27pm
In the county of San Diego you can have multiple units but you need to maintain a minimum 6' separation between them. Most cities within the county adopt the county rules. They are hip to the linking them together idea
sdmx
Fantasy
1781st
5/27/2021 1:05pm Edited Date/Time 5/27/2021 2:54pm
In the county of San Diego you can have multiple units but you need to maintain a minimum 6' separation between them. Most cities within the...
In the county of San Diego you can have multiple units but you need to maintain a minimum 6' separation between them. Most cities within the county adopt the county rules. They are hip to the linking them together idea
Luckily it looks like Oceanside did not go that route.

301.2.1 Building Permits. A building permit shall not be required for the following:
1. One-story detached accessory buildings used as tool and storage sheds, playhouses and similar
uses, provided the projected roof area does not exceed 120 square feet.

Note1: For the purposes of application of this exemption, the floor area within the exterior dimensions of the
structure may be up to 120 sq. ft. (e.g. 10’ x 12’) provided that the roof overhang does not exceed 30 inches.

Note 2: By interpretation of the Building Official, detached Patio Covers may be included in this item.

I am only going to do a 5' extension, so hopefully that keeps me under the radar.
Dude Abides
5/27/2021 2:05pm
If the city gives you shi+t - get a big enclosed trailed and work out of it.....don't think they can legislate a enclosed trailer....HOA can - but city can not.
byke
5/27/2021 6:13pm Edited Date/Time 5/27/2021 6:14pm
If the city gives you shi+t - get a big enclosed trailed and work out of it.....don't think they can legislate a enclosed trailer....HOA can -...
If the city gives you shi+t - get a big enclosed trailed and work out of it.....don't think they can legislate a enclosed trailer....HOA can - but city can not.
Homeowner: You can't legislate an enclosed trailer.

California: Hold my beer...
ktmwoods
5/27/2021 6:16pm

Nice stolen Red Bull table btw...
Zesiger 112
Fantasy
2058th
5/27/2021 7:37pm

ktmwoods wrote:
Nice stolen Red Bull table btw...
You should see the table cloth I have to go over it lol 😂
sdmx
Fantasy
1781st
5/28/2021 9:27am
zippytech wrote:
For starters I would boot the car out!
Yes, that would solve the problem rather easily. My truck is very happy in the driveway. However, wife's car would melt if parked outside. She let's me have my boats and motorcycles, I let her keep her car in the garage. Nice tradeoff.

Post a reply to: Who Uses a Shed as a Workshop/Motorcycle Storage?

The Latest