Vortex ECU

KTMShane699
Edited Date/Time 1/7/2016 7:27pm
Curious if any of you guys have used their product? It's pricey, but does come with ten maps and the external adjustability. I'm sure that of the ten, you'd probably settle on just one or two that you really use. When I called and talked to the distributor, he said it handles stock to full race motor, pump to race gas. I'm aware the stock ECU can be reflashed, but I believe that reflashed typically just handles fuel mapping and not the ignition itself.

I'm not married to the idea of a Vortex ECU...just exploring. Wanted to hear some feedback from those who have actually used the product.

Thanks,
Shane
|
bh84
Fantasy
1761st
1/7/2016 1:54pm
I bought one for my YFZ450R and never looked back, it worked wonders compared to what was at best an iffy fuel map on the stock YFZ. Mind you I'm running a race motor, high comp, intake, cams, porting, exhaust etc
KTMShane699
1/7/2016 2:00pm
bh84 wrote:
I bought one for my YFZ450R and never looked back, it worked wonders compared to what was at best an iffy fuel map on the stock...
I bought one for my YFZ450R and never looked back, it worked wonders compared to what was at best an iffy fuel map on the stock YFZ. Mind you I'm running a race motor, high comp, intake, cams, porting, exhaust etc
How many maps do you find you actually use on it? There's a premium to be paid for it (and the maps). If you settle on one, is it better to get a reflash for $75-$100? My motor is stock except a different air filter cage and full pipe. I do run race fuel. I don't know if I'll ever get into internal motor work with it. The option of really controlling the power curve does appeal to me though.

You're not the only one who's said good things about the product. Generally speaking, the only negative I've heard is from people who have never really used the product. And that's mostly along the lines of "you don't need it. It's a waste of money." Those opinions I tend to take very lightly.

Shane
mxb2
1/7/2016 2:03pm
Great product, good resale also, best $700 you will spend, better than a pipe, or cam, user friendly, i am about to get 1 for my 15 crf450., bikes crisper, revs further, starts easier. Hope that helps
1/7/2016 2:03pm
Shane....I had one in my honda and the reason it was put there was to adjust the engine and mapping to the changes we made inside the engine.

With the new KTM I had it remapped by Tokyo Mods and its def better than it was stock. There isn't a sputter anywhere, and I don't run hot anymore.

The Shop

KTMShane699
1/7/2016 2:15pm
Shane....I had one in my honda and the reason it was put there was to adjust the engine and mapping to the changes we made inside...
Shane....I had one in my honda and the reason it was put there was to adjust the engine and mapping to the changes we made inside the engine.

With the new KTM I had it remapped by Tokyo Mods and its def better than it was stock. There isn't a sputter anywhere, and I don't run hot anymore.
And there's my conflict. Reflash the stock ECU or have total adjustability and multiple maps. I've talked myself into and out of it a few times now. Fortunately, I can get one at less than MSRP. It's still an expensive purchase though.

Tokyo is who I would send my stock one too. There's only does fuel mapping if I understand correctly where the Vortex does fuel and ignition?

The guys that did pony up the dollars all seem pleased which is convincing. Especially when you have guys like mxb2 saying it's the best mod dollar they've spent.

Kind of conflicted on this one.

Shane
1/7/2016 2:21pm
If you get one.....you will still want to get it mapped to your bike to give you the best possible fuel map. So keep that in mind.

Personally if I was going to do anything in the engine on this bike I would get one.
mxb2
Shane....I had one in my honda and the reason it was put there was to adjust the engine and mapping to the changes we made inside...

And there's my conflict. Reflash the stock ECU or have total adjustability and multiple maps. I've talked myself into and out of it a few times...
And there's my conflict. Reflash the stock ECU or have total adjustability and multiple maps. I've talked myself into and out of it a few times now. Fortunately, I can get one at less than MSRP. It's still an expensive purchase though.

Tokyo is who I would send my stock one too. There's only does fuel mapping if I understand correctly where the Vortex does fuel and ignition?

The guys that did pony up the dollars all seem pleased which is convincing. Especially when you have guys like mxb2 saying it's the best mod dollar they've spent.

Kind of conflicted on this one.

Shane
Just my 2 cents shane. For what its worth. Vortex, no air screen, pipe, good fuel. , great engine package, and reliable. And a remap is a great $75 spent , but really no comparison in the two, imo. If ya have the $$, get the vortex, if ya dont like it sell it, lose $150, the price of a remap and 5 gallons of fuel. Good luck, let us know what you decide.
jaredkeller96
good investment, have one on my 2011 crf250, bought it used from my buddy. I only have a megabomb and a 4.1 Ti can but i can notice a huge difference, haven't had it long enough to mess with all the maps. but it does pull harder and revs faster
colintrax
Fantasy
2363rd
1/7/2016 2:28pm
I don't have a vortex, I don't even ride a thumper. So take my opinion with a grain of salt.

If you have the cash I'd say go for it. Since you're running a stock motor I assume you don't want or need a fire breathing monster. So even if the vortex leaves a little power on the table, you still get the different maps. It'll be a fun toy to play with, but more importantly give you different maps depending on the mission at hand. A 15 minute moto on a wet sand track will have you wanting an agressive map. A 2 hour hare scramble after heavy rain will have you wanting a nutered map. And everything inbetween. You may only like or need 2~3 maps but you've got 7 more to test with and try out should you need it.
And when you sell the bike, you can sell the vortex separate to get some of the cash back. A remap doesn't add resale value to the bike, like a revalve it's a lost investment as soon as it hits craigslist.
KTMShane699
1/7/2016 2:36pm
colintrax wrote:
I don't have a vortex, I don't even ride a thumper. So take my opinion with a grain of salt. If you have the cash I'd...
I don't have a vortex, I don't even ride a thumper. So take my opinion with a grain of salt.

If you have the cash I'd say go for it. Since you're running a stock motor I assume you don't want or need a fire breathing monster. So even if the vortex leaves a little power on the table, you still get the different maps. It'll be a fun toy to play with, but more importantly give you different maps depending on the mission at hand. A 15 minute moto on a wet sand track will have you wanting an agressive map. A 2 hour hare scramble after heavy rain will have you wanting a nutered map. And everything inbetween. You may only like or need 2~3 maps but you've got 7 more to test with and try out should you need it.
And when you sell the bike, you can sell the vortex separate to get some of the cash back. A remap doesn't add resale value to the bike, like a revalve it's a lost investment as soon as it hits craigslist.
That sounds like my feelings towards kit suspension with the resale. Looks like it might be an expensive Monday at the shop for me...

Shane
moto314
1/7/2016 3:08pm
I have a Vortex on my CRF450R and IMO it is the best engine mod next to an exhaust. I had some custom maps made to my bike on the dyno with an O2 sensor also (PM me if you want to know who did the mapping). I use 1-3 maps and usually go between 2 maps that are similar with just different amounts of engine braking depending on the track. My last bike I remapped the fuel and ignition on the stock ECU and then ran a piggyback fuel only controller to do fine adjustments. I like being able to keep all the maps stored at once and easy switch between them but like you said it is at a hefty price. I also have a map just for starts that I can use via the handlebar switch so that is pretty nice.
bh84
Fantasy
1761st
1/7/2016 3:13pm
I picked a map that matched what I had done to my motor and stuck with it, made minor adjustments with the other dials on the ECU for temp and humidity. I don't use a map selector, just run one map the whole race, but that's just me
VET176
1/7/2016 3:17pm
I have one on my 06 YZ250 that I’m currently restoring.

Haven’t ridden her yet. Any feedback on maps from anyone who has this combo?
tmauto769
Fantasy
1001st
1/7/2016 5:18pm
I bought one off ebay for a 12 crf450 I had. I gave $350 for it and it was hands down way better money spent than an exhaust was. I didn't get the setup sheet with mine, but it came set on the #7 map and it made such a difference on that bike I just left it on that and never touched it again. I also had the HRC pgm-fi programmer on the bike before the vortex, and it helped, but no where near the gains had by the vortex. Of course the crf's are weak to begin with, so with your KTM it might not be as noticeable.
NeedMoto
1/7/2016 5:39pm
I really like my Vortex, on my 13 CRF 450. Mostly bounce back and forth between two maps. Within those two maps, I like tweaking them a bit. I was able to fine tune, starts with half a kick, never looked back!
j368
1/7/2016 7:27pm
Money well spent, way better than a remap. I got mine from Tokyo Mods. I've bought them for 2 different bikes in the last 4 years.

Post a reply to: Vortex ECU

The Latest