Thoughts on Vortex ECU’s???

Related:
Create New Tag

9/19/2019 12:20 PM

Hey everyone, I just found a deal for a Vortex X10 ECU/Ignition for a YZ250F. I race Baja and I’m not sure if I should be running a Vortex on the bike at all or if I should just get the engine worked on. What does it do and how will it affect the bike overall? I don’t ride track whatsoever, purely desert. Let me know what you guys think please, thanks.

|

9/19/2019 2:18 PM

The Vortex is only as good as who is mapping it for you.

Does the bike you have come with the new WiFi mapping app? If so, not sure if I’d get the Vortex.

|

9/19/2019 3:51 PM

I wouldn’t have anyone touch it except Twisted Development. Unreal results!

|

9/19/2019 4:00 PM

T-Fish wrote:

I wouldn’t have anyone touch it except Twisted Development. Unreal results!

I'm in total agreement on this!

|

I ripped a start from Egypt and I was happy about that.

9/19/2019 5:11 PM

I had the x10 on a crf450, it’s an easy way to dial in the kind of power you’re looking for, unfortunately my crf had bad flame out problems that I never was able to fix. ( fuels, decompression mod, genius throttle body, etc etc, no help)

|

9/19/2019 6:02 PM

Really good, but need good mapper (as mentioned in this thread) like Twisted Development, use them all the time

|

Current rides: 2020 CRF450RWE and 2019 TC300
Occasional ride for VMX: 1985 CR500RF
Adventure/Road bike: CRF1000L

9/19/2019 6:44 PM

My X10 by XPR is the same map Brayton won Dayton on......

|

Washed up moto and enduro weekend warrior.

9/19/2019 7:03 PM

If on a 2014-2018 yz250f its the best engine mod you can do IMO, and Keefer said the same thing. I had intake, exhaust, big bore, gytr head...and the vortex was my favorite thing. It makes it smoother, while really helping the upper rpm range. Instead of coming on hard and then falling flat like stock. I got my ignition/tune from tokyo mods.

|

9/20/2019 11:45 AM

zman721 wrote:

If on a 2014-2018 yz250f its the best engine mod you can do IMO, and Keefer said the same thing. I had intake, exhaust, big bore, gytr head...and the vortex was my favorite thing. It makes it smoother, while really helping the upper rpm range. Instead of coming on hard and then falling flat like stock. I got my ignition/tune from tokyo mods.

Hm I may have to reconsider buying it then, I’m so scarce on money 😂 but if Tokyo and or TD have a good reflash then I may just end up grabbing it. Not sure who may run it down in Baja but if you guys say it makes a big deal I believe it.

|

9/20/2019 11:46 AM

CarlinoJoeVideo wrote:

The Vortex is only as good as who is mapping it for you.

Does the bike you have come with the new WiFi mapping app? If so, not sure if I’d get the Vortex.

Not sure tbh...I thought the WiFi map was on 2018+??

|

9/20/2019 11:54 AM

I have yet to be convinced theyre worth the money. Is having the ability to tune the ECU REALLY worth $700? Why not have TD or TokyoMods remap my OEM ECU for $100/200?

This is coming from an average joe perspective..

|

9/20/2019 11:56 AM

kb228 wrote:

I have yet to be convinced theyre worth the money. Is having the ability to tune the ECU REALLY worth $700? Why not have TD or TokyoMods remap my OEM ECU for $100/200?

This is coming from an average joe perspective..

Oh I forgot to mention, the guy I’m grabbing it from is giving it to me for $150, my only problem is the reflash but that’s still a lot of cash to me (kid in college). I’ve only been on souped up race quads so I can’t say anything about performance dirt bikes too so idk

|

9/20/2019 12:24 PM

kb228 wrote:

I have yet to be convinced theyre worth the money. Is having the ability to tune the ECU REALLY worth $700? Why not have TD or TokyoMods remap my OEM ECU for $100/200?

This is coming from an average joe perspective..

I can't speak for everyone but, Tokyo mods "re-flash" was just their tune using gytr tuner that you plug into those model years bikes. They gave me that map free when I bought the vortex ignition. Funny thing is I actually already had damn near the exact same same map in my bike I had got to on my own with my GYTR tuner. Is it better then stock? well yea, especially if you have mods. Is it near as good as their tune on a vortex ignition? Nope, not close. The vortex has way more tune-ability then the stock ecu with the gytr tuner.

I'm a complete average joe for reference, and I'm not someone who is super finicky or feels the need to fine tune everything. The difference is that large.

If you want to go the GYTR tuner route...I'll sell you mine. But personally thats not the way I would go.

|

9/20/2019 12:59 PM

kb228 wrote:

I have yet to be convinced theyre worth the money. Is having the ability to tune the ECU REALLY worth $700? Why not have TD or TokyoMods remap my OEM ECU for $100/200?

This is coming from an average joe perspective..

First off I really suggest going to Twisted Development for OEM remapping or Vortex mapping. I’ve seen them spend over an hour with my bike on the dyno tweaking and perfecting the mapping. The top racers they do builds and mapping for is crazy. I can not say the same with tokyo mods.

On my KTM 350 I have tried stock maps, stock ecu with Twisted Maps and Vortex with Twisted all back to back... my conclusion is that yes the Vortex with maps is even better than stock remapped. If you can’t afford it, the remapping is much better then stock.

I think I do feel a lot when making bike changes but I’ve had a friend who isn’t a bike tweaked try my Vortex and he noticed the change right away.

|

9/20/2019 2:50 PM

Tokyo Mods and others have maps ready to upload and it does make a big difference.

With that said the best way to tune the bike is on a dyno with the Vortex. Most guys will charge about $300 but you will get the most out of it.

Good Luck!

|

9/20/2019 5:30 PM

Vortex ign works great! You can set up 10 different maps that you can change at any time with a small flat blade screwdriver and I have a handle bar switch that I can switch between 2 maps including one just for starts. I had my maps dyno tuned with an O2 sensor and the fuel I run. I have one map with less engine braking that I really like.

|

recmx.com

REC MX, JE Pistons, Wiseco, Rusk Racing, Yoshimura, Enzo Racing, Dubya Wheels, Asterisk, Rocket Performance, CCR Sport, & MMR

9/20/2019 5:47 PM

I wish I could afford a vortex but I’m saving for tires

|

9/21/2019 2:06 PM

I’d rather have a Vortex then any pipe on the market. Just my .02

Ghost

|



9/22/2019 12:51 AM

kb228 wrote:

I have yet to be convinced theyre worth the money. Is having the ability to tune the ECU REALLY worth $700? Why not have TD or TokyoMods remap my OEM ECU for $100/200?

This is coming from an average joe perspective..

CarlinoJoeVideo wrote:

First off I really suggest going to Twisted Development for OEM remapping or Vortex mapping. I’ve seen them spend over an hour with my bike on the dyno tweaking and perfecting the mapping. The top racers they do builds and mapping for is crazy. I can not say the same with tokyo mods.

On my KTM 350 I have tried stock maps, stock ecu with Twisted Maps and Vortex with Twisted all back to back... my conclusion is that yes the Vortex with maps is even better than stock remapped. If you can’t afford it, the remapping is much better then stock.

I think I do feel a lot when making bike changes but I’ve had a friend who isn’t a bike tweaked try my Vortex and he noticed the change right away.

Hi Joe, what was the difference on the 350 between the stock ECU and the remap ECU ? Did you do that to have more usable power/less engine braking or you wanted to clear the gap HP wise with the 450s ? Thx Joe

|

9/22/2019 3:37 AM

T-Fish wrote:

I wouldn’t have anyone touch it except Twisted Development. Unreal results!

There's the answer you looking for.

|

Non Gratum Anus Rodentum

9/22/2019 11:34 AM

kb228 wrote:

I have yet to be convinced theyre worth the money. Is having the ability to tune the ECU REALLY worth $700? Why not have TD or TokyoMods remap my OEM ECU for $100/200?

This is coming from an average joe perspective..

CarlinoJoeVideo wrote:

First off I really suggest going to Twisted Development for OEM remapping or Vortex mapping. I’ve seen them spend over an hour with my bike on the dyno tweaking and perfecting the mapping. The top racers they do builds and mapping for is crazy. I can not say the same with tokyo mods.

On my KTM 350 I have tried stock maps, stock ecu with Twisted Maps and Vortex with Twisted all back to back... my conclusion is that yes the Vortex with maps is even better than stock remapped. If you can’t afford it, the remapping is much better then stock.

I think I do feel a lot when making bike changes but I’ve had a friend who isn’t a bike tweaked try my Vortex and he noticed the change right away.

Baton Rouge wrote:

Hi Joe, what was the difference on the 350 between the stock ECU and the remap ECU ? Did you do that to have more usable power/less engine braking or you wanted to clear the gap HP wise with the 450s ? Thx Joe

The first thing I notice with the Vortex is how fast the bike starts hot or cold.

Second the instant throttle response makes the bike more flickable, easier to control in corners and pop over chop.

Third is the reduced engine braking.

I’ve said it before in other posts so I might sound like a broken record but I think mapping is the future of bike tuning. With reduced engine braking it literally makes the entire bike work better, even suspension feels better.

Like I wrote above I noticed a much bigger change using the Vortex over remapped OEM ECU. But it’s pike what they say, “you get what you pay for.”

|