Thanks Tony !

Racer92
Posts
17965
Joined
8/15/2006
Location
Central, TX, USA
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 8:44am
I wanted to say a big THANKS to Tony Miller for once again bringing a AMA National to Texas. Each year he does more & more to improve the property and this year was no exception. I wouldnt even want to begin to think how much cold cash you lay out and the stress/hassles you get for letting us come out to watch the best MX racing on the planet.

So thanks again Tony, your fellow Texans appreciate it !
|
txmxer
Posts
9770
Joined
8/21/2006
Location
Weatherford, TX, USA
6/7/2009 8:03am
x2.
jammin76tx
Posts
384
Joined
1/5/2009
Location
Waco, TX, USA
6/7/2009 10:15am
x3
mcphilly
Posts
1245
Joined
7/29/2008
Location
Monroe, WA, USA
6/7/2009 11:14am
The track looks like it has good dirt but thats about it .

They should move the Texas round to Swan , that track is the shit
Jabjr222
Posts
1364
Joined
4/17/2008
Location
Seattle, WA, USA
6/7/2009 11:45am
I understand why they chose Freestone... but there are way better tracks in Texas.... Swan, Whitney, Cycle Ranch. But their locations suck.

Good to him for bringing the racing back to texas but could of had a better track.

What do you the riders think of the track?

The Shop

oldx
Posts
3046
Joined
8/16/2006
Location
Camano Island, WA, USA
6/7/2009 12:13pm
Big complaint I've heard on the track was no place for spectators to get a decent view.
WhKnuckle
Posts
7327
Joined
7/17/2007
Location
USA
6/7/2009 1:07pm
Tony Miller went way out on a long limb to bring that race to Texas, and those of us who live here appreciate it. He's done a tremendous job - it's easy to get in and out, plenty of parking, the whole facility is top-notch, he's left old oak and pecan trees for shade, the track layout is very creative with the terrain he has to work with, the dirt is fantastic and the riders generally love it. I'd love to have more elevation and better sight lines, but that's not possible if you have generally flat terrain and you really want to leave trees there to keep the spectators from getting heat stroke.

People see Freestone and say, "Why not Swan or Cycle Ranch?" Well, Cycle Ranch doesn't have the in/out capability, parking or pit areas, and Swan didn't go out and spend millions of dollars to get the race. Tony did. People act like Texas (or Florida or Georgia) "deserve" a national, but the fact is, if you don't buy the sanction you won't get it. Tony bought it and paid big money for it, and it's great that I can take my son to see a National, like I used to watch Nationals at Rio Bravo and Lake Whitney.

There's a hell of a lot more to putting on a National than having a nifty track.
Cygnus
Posts
14845
Joined
8/15/2006
Location
Hanover, CO, USA
6/7/2009 1:10pm
I think it's great you Texas guys got a motocross race.
Jabjr222
Posts
1364
Joined
4/17/2008
Location
Seattle, WA, USA
6/7/2009 1:22pm
I admire the guy for pulling it off. I do. Well done. Great job.

But, to me, a national is about the most awesome tracks. The mystic of it all. Something us mortals look at and just shake our heads.

Cycle Ranch sucks in terms of in/out. That is one long shitty road to the track and the neighborhood wouldn't like all the semi's coming through.

Swan has zero facilities.

Whitney is the best, most beautiful track in texas but in the middle of NO WHERE.
Cygnus
Posts
14845
Joined
8/15/2006
Location
Hanover, CO, USA
6/7/2009 1:23pm
That track was about hauling ass. No do or die jumps and very vet friendly. I would like to give it a go.
Jabjr222
Posts
1364
Joined
4/17/2008
Location
Seattle, WA, USA
6/7/2009 1:27pm
But these guys aren't vets... Let them have a track that's more challenging.
rocrac
Posts
2454
Joined
8/15/2006
Location
Indianapolis, IN, USA
6/7/2009 1:57pm
The track came across well on TV.
Cygnus
Posts
14845
Joined
8/15/2006
Location
Hanover, CO, USA
6/7/2009 2:05pm
Jabjr222 wrote:
But these guys aren't vets... Let them have a track that's more challenging.
I'd like to know what the riders think about it.
Jabjr222
Posts
1364
Joined
4/17/2008
Location
Seattle, WA, USA
6/7/2009 2:23pm
Cygnus wrote:
I'd like to know what the riders think about it.
Agreed.
jib-tmb
Posts
835
Joined
8/8/2008
Location
Meadville, PA, USA
6/7/2009 2:37pm
I thought the whole track looked good. The sand section was interesting every lap. Props to Mr Miller for all the hard work and $$ he put into it.
midpack
Posts
151
Joined
12/2/2006
Location
Tuttle, OK, USA
6/7/2009 2:54pm
Living in Oklahoma I am very happy to have an outdoor national 5 hrs away from my home. I think the people at Freestone have done a great job with that place. So what if it is out in the middle of the country. If you want to go see a race close to a city, go see a SX race. My only complaint is the limited viewing. No I don't have an answer. This track wasn't built in a valley like Millville. No track is perfect. I know how hard those people have worked and I thank them for that. Before Freestone I had to drive 11 hrs to Millville to see an outdoor national.
WhKnuckle
Posts
7327
Joined
7/17/2007
Location
USA
6/7/2009 3:36pm
Heck, it wasn't even hot this year. For that matter, it wasn't all THAT hot last year.
J.F.S
Posts
4383
Joined
10/20/2008
Location
Stockholm, SE
6/7/2009 4:18pm
I thought you were gonna thank Tony Alessi because we won.
andymoto
Posts
4771
Joined
11/28/2007
Location
Carmichael, CA, USA
6/7/2009 4:26pm
Jabjr222 wrote:
But these guys aren't vets... Let them have a track that's more challenging.
Think the track had some good challenges personally. No hucking huge man made jumps.

Now put one closer to the southeast like the old Gatorback..

Jabjr222
Posts
1364
Joined
4/17/2008
Location
Seattle, WA, USA
6/7/2009 8:36pm
Jabjr222 wrote:
But these guys aren't vets... Let them have a track that's more challenging.
andymoto wrote:
Think the track had some good challenges personally. No hucking huge man made jumps.

Now put one closer to the southeast like the old Gatorback..

I got ya on the man made stuff... but thats why I am a sucker for natural elevation (Red Bud, Unadilla) those style of tracks. That's the trick though, how to make a national caliber track ,without all the man made stuff, when you don't have gnarly hills to work with.

I really should hold any and all track judgment though since I only saw it on the TV. I'm sure it was way cooler in person.

That sand section did look rad though.
Racer92
Posts
17965
Joined
8/15/2006
Location
Central, TX, USA
6/8/2009 7:11am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 12:18am

MXcubsXM wrote: You have the Pink Panther as your avatar. Go piss up a rope asshole!



If you had any clue you'd know just how cool the Pink Panther is and how he always gets the better of lesser minds. Case in point....... LOL

Heres pics of some prime Texas dirt under the shade trees.





txmxer
Posts
9770
Joined
8/21/2006
Location
Weatherford, TX, USA
6/8/2009 8:17am
I thought it comes off really well on TV where you can watch a battle go on.

It is difficult to get a really good view of racing when you are there, but I am sure Tony will work on that. It was a great event this year.

And yes, most folks could circulate that track, but racing it would be very tough.
SEEMEFIRST
Posts
14209
Joined
8/21/2006
Location
Arlington, TX, USA
6/8/2009 8:18am
Racer92 wrote:
MXcubsXM wrote: You have the Pink Panther as your avatar. Go piss up a rope asshole! If you had any clue you'd know just how cool...

MXcubsXM wrote: You have the Pink Panther as your avatar. Go piss up a rope asshole!



If you had any clue you'd know just how cool the Pink Panther is and how he always gets the better of lesser minds. Case in point....... LOL

Heres pics of some prime Texas dirt under the shade trees.





It was great hanging with you and your family Saturday, Bobby. We had a blast. From the vantage point we had all day you could see 3 turns, a hand full jumps, and that scrubber under the Toyota sign...Not too shabby if you ask me. Did our little sign make any broadcast? I have,'t gotten to watch the races on TV yet.Wink
huck
Posts
17049
Joined
8/16/2006
Location
Mountain Home, AR, USA
6/8/2009 8:39am
I would have loved to go to that race. Although there was not much elevation change, it looked like a great track. I'd much rather watch guys blast thru rutted up sweepers, than hit 70 foot triples.

Racer92
Posts
17965
Joined
8/15/2006
Location
Central, TX, USA
6/8/2009 8:42am
Racer92 wrote:
I wanted to say a big THANKS to Tony Miller for once again bringing a AMA National to Texas. Each year he does more & more...
I wanted to say a big THANKS to Tony Miller for once again bringing a AMA National to Texas. Each year he does more & more to improve the property and this year was no exception. I wouldnt even want to begin to think how much cold cash you lay out and the stress/hassles you get for letting us come out to watch the best MX racing on the planet.

So thanks again Tony, your fellow Texans appreciate it !
Hey there fella,, nice visiting with you and your son also. Thats a fine young man you got there ! If you get him that tiddler you mentioned post some pics!

I watched the race on Tivo and did a slow-mo but our sign never made. Dammit.
Ing
Posts
3654
Joined
8/16/2006
Location
Spring Hill, FL, USA
6/8/2009 10:10am
andymoto wrote:
Think the track had some good challenges personally. No hucking huge man made jumps.

Now put one closer to the southeast like the old Gatorback..

Gatorback again would be awesome. We definately NEED one in FL. It's no hotter here than Texas. Bring back Gatorback!!!
DoctorJD
Posts
2979
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
Somewhere in..., GA, USA
6/8/2009 10:47am
Jabjr222 wrote:
But these guys aren't vets... Let them have a track that's more challenging.
How do you define "more challenging"? More jumps? That track was rough and rutted as hell, not to mention the heat. Looked pretty challenging to me.
SEEMEFIRST
Posts
14209
Joined
8/21/2006
Location
Arlington, TX, USA
6/8/2009 11:07am
Racer92 wrote:
I wanted to say a big THANKS to Tony Miller for once again bringing a AMA National to Texas. Each year he does more & more...
I wanted to say a big THANKS to Tony Miller for once again bringing a AMA National to Texas. Each year he does more & more to improve the property and this year was no exception. I wouldnt even want to begin to think how much cold cash you lay out and the stress/hassles you get for letting us come out to watch the best MX racing on the planet.

So thanks again Tony, your fellow Texans appreciate it !
Racer92 wrote:
Hey there fella,, nice visiting with you and your son also. Thats a fine young man you got there ! If you get him that tiddler...
Hey there fella,, nice visiting with you and your son also. Thats a fine young man you got there ! If you get him that tiddler you mentioned post some pics!

I watched the race on Tivo and did a slow-mo but our sign never made. Dammit.
Thanks, we'll do.
WhipMeister
Posts
5279
Joined
8/15/2006
Location
Big D, TX, USA
6/8/2009 12:25pm
I can't fault Tony. He's done a great job with a flat hunk of cow pasture and he obviously cares a great deal about the sport.

That said, it's still a flat hunk of pasture. It's sad we can't see those guys at Whitney or Swan or ???, where Texas MX is truly ingrained, too. I floated the idea way back before it came about that the Texas promoters should band together to buy a national date and then share and share alike, rotating the race every year to another venue in the state and teaming together on its operation. It'd be great for the racers and for the spectators. But that would demand an unselfish spirit of cooperation that I've never seen around here.

Maybe Florida can do something like that to get a date back. I think it would be a cool wrinkle.
breck
Posts
1976
Joined
8/15/2006
Location
Des Moines, IA, USA
6/8/2009 12:32pm Edited Date/Time 6/8/2009 12:35pm
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Post a reply to: Thanks Tony !

The Latest