Speed TV coverage at Pala

ando
Posts
4594
Joined
8/20/2009
Location
Perth, AU
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 8:33am
First up, I think having the live and same day coverage this year has been great.

But damn it's frustrating when:

(a) you have the championship in the balance in the 250 class, and one of the contenders goes down and not a single bit of footage, even on replays;

(b) the main battle in the 450 class was whether Metty or Short would finish second in points, and again, the race leader (Metty) goes down, pops up in 8th place, and again not a single second of footage or replays.

I know it's been a big step forward but things like that will turn people off quickly.
|
Ing
Posts
3654
Joined
8/16/2006
Location
Spring Hill, FL, USA
9/11/2010 7:10pm
ando wrote:
First up, I think having the live and same day coverage this year has been great. But damn it's frustrating when: (a) you have the championship...
First up, I think having the live and same day coverage this year has been great.

But damn it's frustrating when:

(a) you have the championship in the balance in the 250 class, and one of the contenders goes down and not a single bit of footage, even on replays;

(b) the main battle in the 450 class was whether Metty or Short would finish second in points, and again, the race leader (Metty) goes down, pops up in 8th place, and again not a single second of footage or replays.

I know it's been a big step forward but things like that will turn people off quickly.
I'll second that. Overall good stuff, just a few missed key issues.
mxjef
Posts
909
Joined
8/19/2006
Location
Fountain Valley, CA, USA
9/11/2010 7:14pm
Well, at least they got the footage of the people hanging out around the pool...
ando
Posts
4594
Joined
8/20/2009
Location
Perth, AU
9/11/2010 7:32pm
mxjef wrote:
Well, at least they got the footage of the people hanging out around the pool...
Yeah, and the fancy Scott goggles you can adjust with a screwdriver....Blink
jenericn951
Posts
49
Joined
9/11/2010
Location
Lake Elsinore, CA, USA
9/12/2010 8:32am
and when you do a top ten don't you start at ten and work your way up to # 1? if you go by there system # 1 was eli tomac winning at hangtown. wtf. that was stupid.

The Shop

TerryK
Posts
9899
Joined
8/17/2006
Location
CA
9/12/2010 9:03am
You know, I think I can speak for the majority here in saying that I'm getting sick of people whining about the TV coverage. I guess you guys don't understand that there's not 1 camera for every rider on the track because that would be the only way humanly possible for the cameras to capture every single second of the races by every single rider.

If they miss something it' s not for lack of trying and it's not the end of the world. I don't know how you can possible enjoy the races when all you do is worry about what you DON'T see and not what you do. Jesus man, get the fuck over it.
DC
Posts
3889
Joined
5/1/2009
Location
Morgantown, WV, USA
9/12/2010 10:17am
We asked every video shooter there if they had Pourcel's crash to give to SPEED and no one did. He fell in a weird spot, and the cameras were just not on him at the time. It was a big crash to miss unfortunately.

DC
MX Sports
Brent
Posts
5901
Joined
8/16/2006
Location
Temecula, CA, USA
9/12/2010 10:27am
Just one more reason to come to the races and see it for yourself if you can.



ando
Posts
4594
Joined
8/20/2009
Location
Perth, AU
9/12/2010 10:52am
TerryK wrote:
You know, I think I can speak for the majority here in saying that I'm getting sick of people whining about the TV coverage. I guess...
You know, I think I can speak for the majority here in saying that I'm getting sick of people whining about the TV coverage. I guess you guys don't understand that there's not 1 camera for every rider on the track because that would be the only way humanly possible for the cameras to capture every single second of the races by every single rider.

If they miss something it' s not for lack of trying and it's not the end of the world. I don't know how you can possible enjoy the races when all you do is worry about what you DON'T see and not what you do. Jesus man, get the fuck over it.
As I said at the start, I think the TV coverage overall this year has been great - maybe the thread title was misleading. And I do realise that there can't be cameras everywhere, it was frustrating though that probably the most pivotal moment of the whole series was missed.
4mxonly
Posts
1060
Joined
2/17/2008
Location
Middle Of The Hand, MI, USA
9/12/2010 11:19am
I believe the progression of tv and live broadcasts have been pretty good given the context of the situation, being: 1, this concept is relatively new and needs time to grow; and 2, MX Sports surely does not have the production budget of larger, mainstream sporting events.

Give it time folks... give MX Sports and Speed TV a fair chance to improve. Like I said, you can't expect a production at that level of complexity to be perfect and seamless every time -right out of the gate. DC and his team are working hard, give them some time to work out the kinks.

I will however say that the broadcast team could use a little buffing, namely Erin Bates. I've said it before and I'll say it again, there has got to be other capable women out there who are not only fans of motocross, but more importantly can articulate their questions and comments better than Erin. And to the people that say Erin is a nice person and a huge fan of motocross... that's great that she's a fan, but that alone does not entitle her to be a professional commentator. Let's get away from the stigma that this industry is all about who you know, and start putting competent people in the right positions to convey a professional, world-class sport and lifestyle to the rest of the world.
Bojangles
Posts
68
Joined
1/24/2010
Location
Woodstock, GA, USA
9/12/2010 4:44pm
TerryK wrote:
You know, I think I can speak for the majority here in saying that I'm getting sick of people whining about the TV coverage. I guess...
You know, I think I can speak for the majority here in saying that I'm getting sick of people whining about the TV coverage. I guess you guys don't understand that there's not 1 camera for every rider on the track because that would be the only way humanly possible for the cameras to capture every single second of the races by every single rider.

If they miss something it' s not for lack of trying and it's not the end of the world. I don't know how you can possible enjoy the races when all you do is worry about what you DON'T see and not what you do. Jesus man, get the fuck over it.
I second this comment.
Gardner37
Posts
271
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
Stuart, FL, USA
9/12/2010 5:07pm
I have to say, Emig has really won me over the second half of this season.
Chris_ONeal
Posts
1273
Joined
5/14/2009
Location
Essex, CT, USA
9/12/2010 5:10pm
Did anyone else have audio issues? A bunch of us in the Northeast had problems with the audio. We could hear the racing fine and everything in the background but we could barely hear the announcers at all.

Post a reply to: Speed TV coverage at Pala

The Latest