Small van solution

Related:
Create New Tag

2/6/2018 8:19 AM

Has anyone used a small van for transporting a bike?

I mainly ride mountain bikes but occasionally I would like to squeeze an MX bike in the back.

Main problem I've found is height but wondered if a lowered floor like in a disabled van would work? (with rear seats removed)

Added ramp is pretty cool.

Photo

Photo

Photo

|

2/6/2018 8:29 AM

I’m sure that lowered floor is EXPENSIVE, but a pretty sweet setup.
Often times you can compress the forks with a tie down between the handlebar and lower fork leg to get the bike in, and I have even seen people remove the front wheel and use a wheelbarrow wheel for transit. It literally takes 3 minutes to reinstall the front wheel.

|

2/6/2018 8:58 AM

GangGreen wrote:

Often times you can compress the forks with a tie down ...more

Holeshot device works better than a tie down

|

2/6/2018 8:59 AM

I've seen a few of the Mercedes Metris around the pits lately. No wheel mischief.

|

2/6/2018 9:10 AM

I had a Caddy(But the regular short wheelbase van) like that to transport my bike a few years ago. Had to compress the forks and put the bike in an angle to make it fit but it did! Would never consider doing it on a long term tho, just get the Transporter instead.

|

KX125

2/6/2018 9:18 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/6/2018 9:32 AM

Maybe just slap a receiver and a hitch carrier on it for when you want to bring an mx bike?

BTW, it looks to me, as much as a height problem, there may be a length problem with that lowered floor. I mean, often you can fit a bike in a shorter cargo van space by going diagonal across the cargo area, but that option isn't there on this setup.

|

2/6/2018 9:29 AM

Thanks for the advice everyone. Will take my tape measure and have a look.

|

2/6/2018 9:38 AM

Honestly you'll be paying a premium to purchase that accessible van. It's not cheap to convert a vehicle so that it's accessible for wheelchair users.

Yes the added ramp is a cool little feature for moto, that said I'm not sure if you'll have the length necessary to put in a bike. Even if you remove the back seat only a portion of the floor is dropped. I haven't been in one of those vans in a number of years but from what I remember it will be tight to fit a bike if it even fits.

Personally I would look at other options.

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

2/6/2018 10:48 AM

I would recommend getting a hitch and a dirt bike rack but get a mechanic to see if the car could handle the weight

|

2/6/2018 10:53 AM

This is what I did with my Transit Connect.

Photo

|

2/6/2018 11:40 AM

Spooner wrote:

Photo

Looks like the better option. What model carrier is that? Do you pay a premium on your insurance, what if someone rear ends you?

|

2/6/2018 11:51 AM

GangGreen wrote:

Often times you can compress the forks with a tie down ...more

brocster wrote:

Holeshot device works better than a tie down

Just hope it doesn't activate while the bike is in the van.

|

2/6/2018 11:58 AM

I bought a new transit connect long wheelbase last year. I mountain bike as well so it worked out great! I ended up trading it back in for a truck though because it was a complete pain in the ass to get two bikes in there and it was impossible to keep clean. I actually made money on the trade in because I bought a two year old leftover model. Put around 9k miles on it, tranny slipped constantly, went through 2 calipers and a set of rotors too. My first and last Ford I’ll ever buy. Photo

Photo

|

2/6/2018 12:01 PM

Spooner wrote:

Photo

Whip wrote:

Looks like the better option. What model carrier is that? Do you pay a premium on your insurance, what if someone rear ends ...more

I've had a rear hitch carrier like this since 2002. No problems. And nobody randomly rear ending me.

Your questions sound like my wife. "What if you fall?"

Umm, f!ck, I guess I would deal with it. But if it's a problem for you, please do something else.

|

2/6/2018 12:27 PM

Spooner wrote:

Photo

I'm envious... In Germany you wouldn't get any legalization for this. Only for bigger vans.

Back in the days I used a Renault Kangoo. Folding down the passenger seat, compressing the fork and putting the bike backwards in the Renault worked pretty good.

|

2/6/2018 12:34 PM

I looked long at hard at using a Chevy Astro van. Just about the right size and I know loads of
people have done it. In the end, I passed, but I still think about going that route.

|

2/6/2018 2:55 PM

Premix wrote:

I bought a new transit connect long wheelbase last year. I mountain bike as well so it worked out great! I ended up trading it ...more

Damn dude I can't believe you had so much trouble with yours. Mine is a 2015 and have 103k miles on it and haven't had a single issue. Hell I haven't even had to put brakes on it yet. I did switch to a synthetic transmission fluid at like 75k and that seems to have smoothed out the shifts but that was more preventative maintenance as I haven't had any real issue with the tranny.

|

2/6/2018 3:30 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/6/2018 3:31 PM

Came very close to buying a Hearse once. Head over ruled and ended up buying another van. One day, maybe.... Seats four people and plenty of storage space.

Photo

|

2/6/2018 5:51 PM

I just purchased this 2000 Chevy Astro. Has 98k on the odo, and I am converting the interior for camping.

These things are STOUT. AWD, and still rated to tow 5,000 lbs.

2” lift kit is on the way, 31 x 10.5 tires, and we should be ready to roll.Photo

|

2/27/2018 9:47 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/27/2018 9:50 AM

Update: Went for the standard version of the Caddy MAXI. Surprised how much room there is in it!

Have to compress the forks with a tie down (anyone know a better solution?) but it's a minor inconvenience for 50mpg and ability for me to park in London (without bike).

Photo

Photo

|

2/27/2018 11:15 AM

My small van solution...

Photo

|

5/13/2018 9:25 PM

Whip wrote:

Update: Went for the standard version of the Caddy MAXI. Surprised how much room there is in it!

Have to compress the forks ...more

Hey whip
Thinking of trading in my transporter T5 for a caddy myself as I’ve had enough of being restricted by height in car parks.
Is it easy enough to get in there? Also Can you get 2 bikes in there alright?

Many thanks

|