LESS Fuel to get to race : -$200.00
Sign-up fee: -$200.00
Race Gas: -$100.00
Mechanic Pass: -$ 40.00
Hotel: -$250.00
Food: -$100.00
Hotel Parking: -$ 20.00

NET WINNINGS FOR 1 SX WEEKEND: -$460.00

WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE? SOLD OUT STADIUM IN INDY ESTIMATING 61,500 Spectators (per announcer) x $25.00 minimum ticket price = $1,537,500.00
Not to mention $4.00 cokes and $7.00 draft beers plus outrageous food costs in stadium. SOMEONE'S WALLET IS GETTING FAT!!

GOD BLESS THE PRIVATEERS - GOOD THING SUPERCROSS IS AN ADDICTION OR I DON'T IMAGINE TOO MANY PEOPLE WOULD JUMP ON BOARD TO GO IN THE HOLE (ASSUMING YOU MAKE THE NIGHT SHOW) WEEKEND AFTER WEEKEND!! THANKS TO ALL THOSE WHO OFFER CONTINGENCY - YOU MAKE IT WORTH THE EFFORT.

GO PRIVATEERS - KICK SOME BUTT - GOOD LUCK IN DAYTONA!!
|
Slow ~ Pro
3/4/2009 8:50am
Yeah, it's free to lease a Stadium, Parking lot Attendants are free, every empoylee on staff are all volunteers...Dirt Werx, builds the track for free...

Shall I go on ?

Wow...$7 beers, you are lucky, here in California, they're $9.50 !
jbomx363
3/4/2009 9:28am
http://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/SX-PAYOUT,390128

Yeah, it's free to lease a Stadium, Parking lot Attendants are free, every empoylee on staff are all volunteers...Dirt Werx, builds the track for free...

It def. isn't $1million for that overhead dude. That would still put $400K in the promoters pockets even if it was.

A lot of the staff are actually volunteers or 1099 workers. Parking lot attendants are paid by the parking fee's charged ($8-10)...

You have any better arguments to why the purse shouldn't be more?

And the lites class hasn't been increased since 2006 according to the NRG stats.
flarider
3/4/2009 9:42am
I have asked this a number of times over the last few years, and no one does...

Please list, as best you can, all of the expenses involved in operating one SX event, from facility rental, day staffing, permanent staffing (that weeks pay), transportation (trucking and air fares), track building, subcontractors, lodging, per diems, security and everything else, and then please give your estimate of what is a fair margin of profit considering they take all the risk and still have the same expenses even if the event has minimal turn out due to economic or weather issues.
calimxer91
3/4/2009 9:55am
mx351927 wrote:
PAYDAY FOR SX LITES MAIN $450.00 LESS Fuel to get to race : -$200.00 Sign-up fee: -$200.00 Race Gas: -$100.00 Mechanic Pass: -$ 40.00 Hotel: -$250.00...
PAYDAY FOR SX LITES MAIN $450.00

WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE? SOLD OUT STADIUM IN INDY ESTIMATING 61,500 Spectators (per announcer) x $25.00 minimum ticket price = $1,537,500.00
Not to mention $4.00 cokes and $7.00 draft beers plus outrageous food costs in stadium. SOMEONE'S WALLET IS GETTING FAT!!

GOD BLESS THE PRIVATEERS - GOOD THING SUPERCROSS IS AN ADDICTION OR I DON'T IMAGINE TOO MANY PEOPLE WOULD JUMP ON BOARD TO GO IN THE HOLE (ASSUMING YOU MAKE THE NIGHT SHOW) WEEKEND AFTER WEEKEND!! THANKS TO ALL THOSE WHO OFFER CONTINGENCY - YOU MAKE IT WORTH THE EFFORT.

Lots you left out too.Something is horrendously wrong here.

The Shop

huck
3/4/2009 10:10am
flarider wrote:
I have asked this a number of times over the last few years, and no one does... Please list, as best you can, all of the...
I have asked this a number of times over the last few years, and no one does...

Please list, as best you can, all of the expenses involved in operating one SX event, from facility rental, day staffing, permanent staffing (that weeks pay), transportation (trucking and air fares), track building, subcontractors, lodging, per diems, security and everything else, and then please give your estimate of what is a fair margin of profit considering they take all the risk and still have the same expenses even if the event has minimal turn out due to economic or weather issues.
You forgot advertising!!!
Soozie125
3/4/2009 10:28am
mx351927 wrote:
PAYDAY FOR SX LITES MAIN $450.00 LESS Fuel to get to race : -$200.00 Sign-up fee: -$200.00 Race Gas: -$100.00 Mechanic Pass: -$ 40.00 Hotel: -$250.00...
PAYDAY FOR SX LITES MAIN $450.00

Contingency will take care of the -460 if you win.
Sondy132001
3/4/2009 10:34am Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 10:46pm
Insurance
Medical Staff
Flaggers, yes volunteer but they get a ticket for a family member, t-shirts, food etc that isn't free.
The crew they hire to put up every banner you see in that place
Two kinds of Security, there is the stadiums and Feld's own security for the pits.

I would say Feld has roughly 30+ people from Chicago there, and another 30-40 contracted labor there.

The parking and food etc is generally the responsibility of the stadium and part of their rental agreement, stadium gets those fees.

I worked for Them for 10+ years ? I was paid and my expenses, plus you have all the AMA workers, yes AMA pays that but they get a fee from Feld to have those workers there. It's not cheap putting on a SX, I helped with Jeremy's, lots and lots of expenses.
mx351927
3/4/2009 10:49am
I am totally aware that there is overhead involved with putting on any race event. I still feel that the racers are short-changed as far as compensation. In some cases, they can make more running pro-ams and fair races. I am not whining, just stating the facts. The racers are also at risk when there is low turn out as far as spectators as I know some who basically paid to race for nothing earlier this year. The turnout was horrible and the promoter couldn't pay them the advertised purse that he supposedly "guaranteed." In a nutshell, these are professional racers and should be compensated as such. And as far as the $7.00 beers, it was just an example of the additional overpriced "extras" that the stadium rakes in.
Sondy132001
3/4/2009 11:00am Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 10:46pm
I'm with ya on that, I lived with Deegan for almost 3 years, he did the Nationals and spent almost all the money he made doing it. A friend of mine, Michael Brandes did all the Amateur Nationals and raced local series, spent less then half of what Deegan spent and made more. The contigency was much higher then, then now, so it's even harder now, but Michael did win a 250f SX and I think made $4500. and then raced my Golden State the next day and between the contingency and pro purse made about the same or a little more on two classes, with far less invested.

It's tough to make a living on MX/SX, you have to be part of the chosen few...

S
flarider
3/4/2009 11:21am Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 10:46pm
mx351927 wrote:
I am totally aware that there is overhead involved with putting on any race event. I still feel that the racers are short-changed as far as...
I am totally aware that there is overhead involved with putting on any race event. I still feel that the racers are short-changed as far as compensation. In some cases, they can make more running pro-ams and fair races. I am not whining, just stating the facts. The racers are also at risk when there is low turn out as far as spectators as I know some who basically paid to race for nothing earlier this year. The turnout was horrible and the promoter couldn't pay them the advertised purse that he supposedly "guaranteed." In a nutshell, these are professional racers and should be compensated as such. And as far as the $7.00 beers, it was just an example of the additional overpriced "extras" that the stadium rakes in.
NO ONE, and I mean NO ONE thinks that the riders should not be making more.

EVERYONE AGREES ON THAT, EVERYONE.

That said, answer the question about the breakdown of what you estimate the costs are per event and what you think is a fair profit margin for the risk.

Use the categories I and others provided to make your estimates, write them here.

BTW, the promoters do not typically get anything from the concession sales, as those are typically run by charities and/or schools who keep the profits, just as the promoter does not get the parking fees.

Please fill in the amounts below

Stadium rental

Dirt hauling

Dirt wurx per event

Feld staffing salaries

feld staff transportation (include rental car costs)

Feld staff hotel

Feld staff per diem (food, etc)

Security (inside/outside)

Event insurance

Event advertising

Fireworks per event

Medical staffing

Trucking costs to get everything to each event (driver, fuel, fees)

Event roadies (electricians, pyro, engineer/assembly labor)

Misc rentals (fencing, railings, porta cans, garbage cans/fees)

Heavy Equipment rentals

Camera/TV production team (that's done by Feld, not CBS or Speed)

TV Air time (They don't run it out of the goodness of their hearts)
mx351927
3/4/2009 11:54am
I have no idea what figures go in your breakdown nor am I going to have the time to look into it. I know there are a lot of expenses as I already said. I've worked at a track for 5 years and am very aware of their expenses when they have their national. Since "EVERYONE AGREES ON THAT" ( we all agree that the riders should make more money ) then I guess we're all on the same page. I don't know exactly where you're going with this but my point was made. As far as a fair margin for the risk, I think that goes with the territory. I've worked at enough races that have been horrible turn outs due to weather or numerous events being held the same weekend, however, I've also worked at races where the turnout and results were great. I don't know that I agree that there is a "fair profit margin for the risk". You take the good with the bad and there are no guarantees in life. Obviously the goal is to make money and that's what makes the world go round. When stadiums sell out for sx races it's a win -win situation for everybody. Just would be nice if the racers were included.
And one more time...........
GOOD LUCK TO ALL THE PRIVATEERS IN DAYTONA!! WIN BIG!!
overdrive09
3/4/2009 1:23pm
Who cares what promoters have to pay, you know as well as I do they are making plenty of money.

Add another 5 bucks to the gate fee and put it in the purse and you would triple the purse for indy. Don't give me this crap that the promoter isn't making plenty of money and we should add their costs. I used to promote a local race in Ohio and made money and paid well.

Its pathetic to think a pro at this event who makes it to the night program would have made more scanning tickets at the gate. Hell they would make more picking up cans in the parking lot and recycling. So stop with the OH the promoter BS and what about their expenses. BLAH BLAH BLAH.

If you are the entertainment you should make money, Argue if you must but in this economy it won't be long before we won't be able to fill the main event starting gate because its not worth it for people to show.
croom mx
3/4/2009 1:56pm
If pro Football players were paid what motocross riders make , there would be no NFL.
jbomx363
3/4/2009 2:03pm
Approx. $18mil expenses. A very generous estimation by me.

Revenue from ticket sales only, based on 07 attendance figures= $25million at $30/ticket.

Boxvan446
3/4/2009 2:24pm
I had helped a few guys do some arenacross events a few years ago and was told they needed to bring in about $250k to breakeven. A lot of times food/drink sales did not go to the event promoter but the facility owner. I also know they got wacked pretty bad for clean up because of all the dust the track produced at a few events. I'm sure there are a lot of underlying expenses that we don't think about. I completely agree that the racers should be paid more. But then again, it's a business and it's all about the bottom line.
Tiki
Fantasy
1670th
3/4/2009 2:59pm
mxdancer
3/4/2009 3:24pm
I don't know how much the promoters make holding these races. But, they must be making it worth their while or they wouldn't be doing it every year. Maybe a few are doing it for the LOVE of the sport, but I doubt very many. Most of the riders turning out for these events do not get paid enough to pay their expenses. The promoters would be SOL If all those riders decided not to show . I Doubt many fans would show up just to see the few factory guys.

Gma BBlink
KAWboy14
3/4/2009 4:42pm
the promoters arent making any money.....thats why feld purchased it for $198 billion!
huck
3/4/2009 5:58pm
If the racers feel that they are under paid for their services...they have a choice!

mxdancer
3/4/2009 6:14pm
huck wrote:
If the racers feel that they are under paid for their services...they have a choice!

The riders are the ones doing it for the love of the sport and the thrill of competition. Not for the money. Yes, they have a choice and if they all decide to quit the promoters will be SOL!Sick

GMA B
3/4/2009 6:47pm
General rule of business is 30 30 30 30% material 30%labor 30%overhead 10% profit.
overdrive09
3/4/2009 7:01pm Edited Date/Time 3/4/2009 7:07pm
KAWboy14 wrote:
the promoters arent making any money.....thats why feld purchased it for $198 billion!
Really it was that much? It was actually about that but only Million not Billion.
3/4/2009 8:06pm Edited Date/Time 3/4/2009 8:08pm
I'm with ya on that, I lived with Deegan for almost 3 years, he did the Nationals and spent almost all the money he made doing...
I'm with ya on that, I lived with Deegan for almost 3 years, he did the Nationals and spent almost all the money he made doing it. A friend of mine, Michael Brandes did all the Amateur Nationals and raced local series, spent less then half of what Deegan spent and made more. The contigency was much higher then, then now, so it's even harder now, but Michael did win a 250f SX and I think made $4500. and then raced my Golden State the next day and between the contingency and pro purse made about the same or a little more on two classes, with far less invested.

It's tough to make a living on MX/SX, you have to be part of the chosen few...

S

Sondy132001 wrote: I'm with ya on that, I lived with Deegan for almost 3 years

Whoa....can we start a thread on that alone?
andymoto
3/4/2009 11:37pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 10:46pm
I'd pay $3-5 bucks toward a strickly privateer fund per event if it only went to non factory and factory satellite riders that already make huge bucks.

Indy had 60,000+@ $5 = $300,000 for just that event.

Split it 60% SX/40% Lites. $180,000 for SX/$120,000 for Lites.

Percentage considering 10 Private RidersSadand if less have revised percentages).

SX Lites
25% 1st-45,000 1st- 36,000
15% 2nd-27,000 2nd-18,000
15% 3rd- 27,000 3rd-18,000
10% 4th- 18,000 4th- 12,000
10% 5th- 18,000 5th- 12,000
5% 6-10th.- 9,000 6-10th- 6,000

Say that the 18 SXs average 40,000 paying fans. Say 700,000 watch in person and at $5 extra a ticket; 3.5 million total privateer purse available.

Using that 40,000 avg. per race, 1st privateer in SX would make $16,000. Say that rider is top privateer 10 times; itself it's $160,000 and the most if one were top SX privateer would be $288,000 if they were top every single round. Now that is real dough for the risk to reward these great guys.

Even the Blairs, McCrummens, Kilbargers can make some good dough in Lites.

Would bring new riders into the sport. and local level racing would increase again if families of those newer riders see you can make a real living at the top of your craft, instead of spending more than getting paid....in front of 60,000+fans....a travesty.

I know I rather donate $5 more bucks to pay those riders and miss Starbuck coffees.

Just think it would help growing racing knowing a payoff were there even if you aren't the best rider, but a consistent privateer main eventer. Legitimizes the sport further.

Look what happened to all those substitute football leagues that paid much more than our sport does. Worthless Beckham hasn't done crap for U.S. Soccer...

Over 35 yrs around it and I've spent plenty in hopes of my rider would make it while others that don't even ride profited big from the sport.

60 grand attending Indy, yet they pay their football team hundreds of millions/yr in a stadium that doesn't hold that much more to justify a rider paying and losing money making the main...

overdrive09
3/5/2009 4:41am
It just makes sense doesn't it Andymoto. Thats probably the problem with it!
IntenseRider
3/5/2009 8:05am
croom mx wrote:
If pro Football players were paid what motocross riders make , there would be no NFL.
NFL players also don't have to pay an entry fee to play the game. In fact, I would like to know what top-level professional sports, aside from MX/SX, require that their participants pay an entry fee.

Does Tiger have to pay to play in a tournament? Do baseball and hockey players have to buy a ticket for their game? I still don't understand why having a professional license isn't admission enough?
3/5/2009 8:56am
croom mx wrote:
NFL players also don't have to pay an entry fee to play the game. In fact, I would like to know what top-level professional sports, aside...
NFL players also don't have to pay an entry fee to play the game. In fact, I would like to know what top-level professional sports, aside from MX/SX, require that their participants pay an entry fee.

Does Tiger have to pay to play in a tournament? Do baseball and hockey players have to buy a ticket for their game? I still don't understand why having a professional license isn't admission enough?
Some of the logic in this thread is so retarded. But that being said, yes, pro golfers have to pay entry fees...formula one drivers have to pay entry fees, on and on.
I hope someday idiots can stop comparing fringe sports to mainstream ball sports.
IntenseRider
3/5/2009 12:30pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 10:47pm
croom mx wrote:
NFL players also don't have to pay an entry fee to play the game. In fact, I would like to know what top-level professional sports, aside...

Some of the logic in this thread is so retarded. But that being said, yes, pro golfers have to pay entry fees...formula one drivers have to...
Some of the logic in this thread is so retarded. But that being said, yes, pro golfers have to pay entry fees...formula one drivers have to pay entry fees, on and on.
I hope someday idiots can stop comparing fringe sports to mainstream ball sports.
So, I guess I am one of the "idots" that you refer to in your comment. I think if you took the time to fully read my post, you would have realized that I was asking if there are professional sports that require the participants to pay an entry fee. I don't know...that's why I was asking. It's apparent from your post that you are very well versed in all professional sports and any corresponding entry fees.

Also, I disagree that it is irrelevant to compare MX/SX (which you identify as a "fringe" sport) to ball sports. The purpose of my post was to compare "professional" sports, in which I include both MX and SX since we tend to refer to the top riders as "professionals." From my perspective, I don't understand what is to be gained from charging riders an entry fee after they have already purchased a professional license. Perhaps a reasonable solution would be to increase the cost of the license but eliminate entry fees for riders with a pro license.

Anywho, thanks for pointing out the flaws in my "retarded logic." I'll go back to licking lead paint from old metal flag poles now and wait for you to provide a reasonable solution to the perceived SX payout issue.
overdrive09
3/5/2009 1:10pm
$25 (price for ticket) for Indy
61000 (amount of tickets sold) for Indy
$93000 total of current purses combined for Indy.

Add a $1.50 to the ticket price and you double the pro purse. How hard is it to add a couple of bucks to the ticket price to pay more of a purse or to increase the pro purse every few years or so. Who would have a problem with that. The purse has changed so little over the years and yet its so easy to increase. The promoter won't loose any money on that, and a majority of fans would pay it gladly.

We don't need a riders union to accomplish this, just common sense. The way it currently is will kill off competition even more than it currently is. More money will create more competition for that money.
3/5/2009 2:34pm
Vitalmx privateer purse fund?

Funded by donations from the fans?

Pick one event to start...or have there been too many bad experiences in this vein?

Post a reply to: SUPERCROSS PAYDAY

The Latest