Reed being Reed...

AP_151
Posts
174
Joined
1/23/2014
Location
Seabrook, TX, USA
5/5/2015 7:51am
I thought he was still spending some of his own money to run Team 22 at this point, talked about it being a money pit. The...
I thought he was still spending some of his own money to run Team 22 at this point, talked about it being a money pit.

The heavy favorites are all taken right now unless he stays with Kawasaki and they throw him a bone with Tomac but I don't see that happening, but who knows.

He's going to have to come up with some big additional sponsors if he wants to sway a big hitter to join his team in the future.

Time will tell.
Yeah I don't think Kawi is in the position to "throw him a bone" right now. They don't even have a #1 rider themselves. Hahn is a good rider, but he's a #2 on most teams.

I don't think Reed will have the budget for a contender until he's done contending himself. And he's still completely capable, indoors anyway.
gsxrcr28
Posts
7419
Joined
3/5/2009
Location
Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA
5/5/2015 7:53am
I don't think he would skip the outdoors. About half way through the SX season he was on the Pulpmx show and said he was "over Supercross" and I think he said he was ready to get to the outdoors.
426Hemi
Posts
1048
Joined
4/15/2011
Location
USA
5/5/2015 7:58am
Why dont people just post what they want to say instead of a bunch of retarded pound sign bullshit?

Amen to that. I hate that hashtag crap.
Mike.
Posts
93
Joined
2/3/2015
Location
USA
5/5/2015 8:02am Edited Date/Time 5/5/2015 8:02am
Why dont people just post what they want to say instead of a bunch of retarded pound sign bullshit?

426Hemi wrote:
Amen to that. I hate that hashtag crap.
This seems fitting:

NSFW (Language)

The Shop

Ramrod
Posts
4997
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
Ontario, CA
5/5/2015 8:14am
Byrne can sub for Reed easy. He rides with him and is sitting there ready to go.

I can't see Chad racing the whole outdoors after his last two seasons of misery.
Zycki11
Posts
7910
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
Edwardsville, IL, USA
5/5/2015 8:20am
To me, it seems chad wants what he wants. If yamaha is giving factory support, this allows him to step back financially, while providing better equipment. The one coveit I see is chad has always harped about front end feel. Yamahas 450 has been known to have a light front end. Should be interesting none the less. I see him racing outdoors and seeing where he stands in points. Maybe pulling out early to dial in the new ride and race in Aussie to test.
5/5/2015 8:20am
Ramrod wrote:
Byrne can sub for Reed easy. He rides with him and is sitting there ready to go. I can't see Chad racing the whole outdoors after...
Byrne can sub for Reed easy. He rides with him and is sitting there ready to go.

I can't see Chad racing the whole outdoors after his last two seasons of misery.
Hmmmm
gsxrcr28
Posts
7419
Joined
3/5/2009
Location
Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA
5/5/2015 8:26am
Zycki11 wrote:
To me, it seems chad wants what he wants. If yamaha is giving factory support, this allows him to step back financially, while providing better equipment...
To me, it seems chad wants what he wants. If yamaha is giving factory support, this allows him to step back financially, while providing better equipment. The one coveit I see is chad has always harped about front end feel. Yamahas 450 has been known to have a light front end. Should be interesting none the less. I see him racing outdoors and seeing where he stands in points. Maybe pulling out early to dial in the new ride and race in Aussie to test.
I don't think he will ride a Yamaha, he called it a "turd", Byrne said it's an "odd duck", JT$ said he didn't like it, and Ferry said it gave him nightmares. I know the last couple years it has gotten better, but would it be enough to change his and his buddies opinions, I don't know about that..
NV825
Posts
2201
Joined
8/26/2006
Location
Carson City, NV, USA
5/5/2015 8:31am
Crush wrote:
Biggest problem with any of this is the designer putting the apostrophe on the wrong side of 15. [img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CEKuUUAVEAIUw9_.jpg[/img]
Biggest problem with any of this is the designer putting the apostrophe on the wrong side of 15.

Maybe his goal was to nose wheelie 15 feet and finally accomplished it? Woohoo

I could see Reed doing a limited outdoor schedule as a rider and then being a more involved team manager at the other rounds he doesn't ride. If he wants to prolong his career then he should focus on SX because he proved that he can win those races. I see him doing enough to have fun and still get picked for the Aussie MXDN team.
Moto_Geek
Posts
1826
Joined
6/26/2007
Location
Golden, CO, USA
5/5/2015 8:41am
Crush wrote:
Biggest problem with any of this is the designer putting the apostrophe on the wrong side of 15. [img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CEKuUUAVEAIUw9_.jpg[/img]
Biggest problem with any of this is the designer putting the apostrophe on the wrong side of 15.

Jimfunn wrote:
That's pretty funny!!!
No it's correct, he is 15 feet long. Ask Ellie.
5/5/2015 8:55am
Why dont people just post what they want to say instead of a bunch of retarded pound sign bullshit?

426Hemi wrote:
Amen to that. I hate that hashtag crap.
Mike. wrote:
This seems fitting:

NSFW (Language)
That's pretty funny.
A Fuck Yer LOL
Phillip_Lamb
Posts
2132
Joined
12/14/2010
Location
ORANGEVALE, CA, USA
5/5/2015 9:14am
i hope to see Reed outdoors. obviously he didnt have the best season(of ones he didnt crash out of) and considering the black flag and the numerous times he lost the front end he shouldve ended up in third at the least.

The biggest takeaway is that he didnt get hurt this year unlike the past three years. Hes a good guy and i hope he keeps on going for at least another year or two. Especially since he still has the ability to win.

I dont think he will skip outdoors despite his cryptic tweet for a few reasons. One he only got away with that before because the economy was doing really well and he had the financial backing to do that. Now however he is running his own team which brings a lot more liability and i dont think his current sponsors prefer to see him racing all yaer
h&m_cycle
Posts
4410
Joined
2/23/2014
Location
Steubenville, OH, USA
5/5/2015 9:23am
Ramrod wrote:
Byrne can sub for Reed easy. He rides with him and is sitting there ready to go. I can't see Chad racing the whole outdoors after...
Byrne can sub for Reed easy. He rides with him and is sitting there ready to go.

I can't see Chad racing the whole outdoors after his last two seasons of misery.
Hmmmm
Bubba showed him the great outdoors when Reed ran his mouth, " I can beat him if I get a good start".
Chadillac661
Posts
300
Joined
6/16/2012
Location
Phoenix, AZ, USA
5/5/2015 10:15am
AP_151 wrote:
Can he not just come out say "hey, decided not to race the outdoors this year to rest up and be prepared for SX"? What's wrong...
Can he not just come out say "hey, decided not to race the outdoors this year to rest up and be prepared for SX"?

What's wrong with that, no need to make people read between the lines.
Rick M. wrote:
But the reason you said it was cryptic is because you interpreted it as Reed firing Grant. Right? Your biased hate for Reed led you down...
But the reason you said it was cryptic is because you interpreted it as Reed firing Grant. Right? Your biased hate for Reed led you down a incorrect road. Respect the man, he is a pioneer in sport, in many different ways. Much respect.
tmauto769 wrote:
Reed a "pioneer in the sport"? what makes you say that? When I think of a pioneer I think more along the lines of Decoster. Reed...
Reed a "pioneer in the sport"? what makes you say that? When I think of a pioneer I think more along the lines of Decoster. Reed? eh, not so much.
Decoster did not form and run his own race team. Reed is the first in the sport to accomplish this at the level he is at.

Decoster was an amazing racer back in the day and he is arguably the best team manager in the history of the sport but he never did both at the same time.

In that respect, Reed is definitely a pioneer in my opinion.
Zycki11
Posts
7910
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
Edwardsville, IL, USA
5/5/2015 10:17am
gsxrcr28 wrote:
I don't think he will ride a Yamaha, he called it a "turd", Byrne said it's an "odd duck", JT$ said he didn't like it, and...
I don't think he will ride a Yamaha, he called it a "turd", Byrne said it's an "odd duck", JT$ said he didn't like it, and Ferry said it gave him nightmares. I know the last couple years it has gotten better, but would it be enough to change his and his buddies opinions, I don't know about that..
Look at out bits. Reedy talking to Keith McCarty openly in the pits for a long time. Just a guess, but yamaha and chad still have a good relationship, and yamaha wants more bikes out there. Give him factory support and this enables chad to take a step back from finding as many sponsors, as well as having the knowledge that 22 Motorsports will be set up nicely for when he does retire. It makes sense to me. But what do I know, just a fan.
5/5/2015 10:24am Edited Date/Time 5/5/2015 10:24am
Decoster did not form and run his own race team. Reed is the first in the sport to accomplish this at the level he is at...
Decoster did not form and run his own race team. Reed is the first in the sport to accomplish this at the level he is at.

Decoster was an amazing racer back in the day and he is arguably the best team manager in the history of the sport but he never did both at the same time.

In that respect, Reed is definitely a pioneer in my opinion.
First to form and run his own race team?

JS7? Mc? J-Law?
fidiot
Posts
661
Joined
3/18/2014
Location
Denver, CO, USA
5/5/2015 10:25am
Doesn't he have a mild back and shoulder injury right now? I get the vibe that he is going to sack riding outdoors in 15, take a little time to let the body heal, then start training for the 2016 SX season. I expect JG to race the full outdoor season. Somebody up above mentioned Byrne riding, but I think he is 36 yrs old now. I have no idea how much training and riding Byrne has been doing. How long has it been since he was up front leading that outdoor race and stuck his leg down and broke it? Was that 2013 or 2012?
mmcmx
Posts
2280
Joined
8/31/2008
Location
Perafita, Catalunya, PE
5/5/2015 10:27am
gsxrcr28 wrote:
I don't think he will ride a Yamaha, he called it a "turd", Byrne said it's an "odd duck", JT$ said he didn't like it, and...
I don't think he will ride a Yamaha, he called it a "turd", Byrne said it's an "odd duck", JT$ said he didn't like it, and Ferry said it gave him nightmares. I know the last couple years it has gotten better, but would it be enough to change his and his buddies opinions, I don't know about that..
Zycki11 wrote:
Look at out bits. Reedy talking to Keith McCarty openly in the pits for a long time. Just a guess, but yamaha and chad still have...
Look at out bits. Reedy talking to Keith McCarty openly in the pits for a long time. Just a guess, but yamaha and chad still have a good relationship, and yamaha wants more bikes out there. Give him factory support and this enables chad to take a step back from finding as many sponsors, as well as having the knowledge that 22 Motorsports will be set up nicely for when he does retire. It makes sense to me. But what do I know, just a fan.
I this was the case he would have gone the KTM route in '13 and now would be the factory Husky team or something like that. He choose the bike that suited him the best and not the one that suited the team. I don't see that changing until he retires IMHO
Zycki11
Posts
7910
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
Edwardsville, IL, USA
5/5/2015 10:29am
mmcmx wrote:
I this was the case he would have gone the KTM route in '13 and now would be the factory Husky team or something like that...
I this was the case he would have gone the KTM route in '13 and now would be the factory Husky team or something like that. He choose the bike that suited him the best and not the one that suited the team. I don't see that changing until he retires IMHO
I thought about that as well. It is all fun speculation and we all know chad is not afraid to make big moves.
A. DLeary
Posts
537
Joined
3/13/2015
Location
USA
5/5/2015 10:38am
My guess:

He's happy the Supercross series is over and as long as he's not hurt will be looking forward to the outdoors.
A. DLeary
Posts
537
Joined
3/13/2015
Location
USA
5/5/2015 10:39am
Rick M. wrote:
But the reason you said it was cryptic is because you interpreted it as Reed firing Grant. Right? Your biased hate for Reed led you down...
But the reason you said it was cryptic is because you interpreted it as Reed firing Grant. Right? Your biased hate for Reed led you down a incorrect road. Respect the man, he is a pioneer in sport, in many different ways. Much respect.
tmauto769 wrote:
Reed a "pioneer in the sport"? what makes you say that? When I think of a pioneer I think more along the lines of Decoster. Reed...
Reed a "pioneer in the sport"? what makes you say that? When I think of a pioneer I think more along the lines of Decoster. Reed? eh, not so much.
Decoster did not form and run his own race team. Reed is the first in the sport to accomplish this at the level he is at...
Decoster did not form and run his own race team. Reed is the first in the sport to accomplish this at the level he is at.

Decoster was an amazing racer back in the day and he is arguably the best team manager in the history of the sport but he never did both at the same time.

In that respect, Reed is definitely a pioneer in my opinion.
No. This is not right.
ab5772
Posts
712
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
SLC, UT, USA
5/5/2015 10:41am
He stole Dean Wilson from KTM. duh.
Anonymous (not verified)
5/5/2015 11:22am Edited Date/Time 9/1/2026 6:11pm
Well guys, I'm at Pala right now. Reed is here in street clothes hanging out, while Grant is pounding out very fast motos. And I don't see Reeds bike at the box Van. Make of that what you will, but I think he is done for the summer.
A. DLeary
Posts
537
Joined
3/13/2015
Location
USA
5/5/2015 11:24am
Anonymous wrote:
Well guys, I'm at Pala right now. Reed is here in street clothes hanging out, while Grant is pounding out very fast motos. And I don't...
Well guys, I'm at Pala right now. Reed is here in street clothes hanging out, while Grant is pounding out very fast motos. And I don't see Reeds bike at the box Van. Make of that what you will, but I think he is done for the summer.
Why don't you ask him?
Anonymous (not verified)
5/5/2015 11:38am Edited Date/Time 9/1/2026 6:11pm
Anonymous wrote:
Well guys, I'm at Pala right now. Reed is here in street clothes hanging out, while Grant is pounding out very fast motos. And I don't...
Well guys, I'm at Pala right now. Reed is here in street clothes hanging out, while Grant is pounding out very fast motos. And I don't see Reeds bike at the box Van. Make of that what you will, but I think he is done for the summer.
A. DLeary wrote:
Why don't you ask him?
Looks like they are busy
GuyB
Posts
35722
Joined
7/10/2006
Location
Aliso Viejo, CA, USA
5/5/2015 11:40am
Decoster did not form and run his own race team. Reed is the first in the sport to accomplish this at the level he is at...
Decoster did not form and run his own race team. Reed is the first in the sport to accomplish this at the level he is at.

Decoster was an amazing racer back in the day and he is arguably the best team manager in the history of the sport but he never did both at the same time.

In that respect, Reed is definitely a pioneer in my opinion.
How about MC?
Chadillac661
Posts
300
Joined
6/16/2012
Location
Phoenix, AZ, USA
5/5/2015 11:50am
Decoster did not form and run his own race team. Reed is the first in the sport to accomplish this at the level he is at...
Decoster did not form and run his own race team. Reed is the first in the sport to accomplish this at the level he is at.

Decoster was an amazing racer back in the day and he is arguably the best team manager in the history of the sport but he never did both at the same time.

In that respect, Reed is definitely a pioneer in my opinion.
GuyB wrote:
How about MC?
That's a good point. Did L&M start that Yamaha team or was it MC? I can't remember, I just recall Brooks being involved to some degree. I was a huge RC fan back in the day so I probably didn't pay that close of attention. I know MC was involved in the Supercross.com team as well when they hired Shorty but that one fizzled fairly quickly.
Micahdogg
Posts
1263
Joined
1/3/2011
Location
USA
5/5/2015 12:06pm
I have a feeling that Reed was having a hard time putting his boots up due to this kind or reasoning = he feels fast on his personal track, he thinks he is fast enough to win, and he has been going out and getting wins even this year. So if you feel like you can win, how do you not keep pursuing your passion.

What seems abundantly clear this year is that winning isn't enough. There are literally half a dozen guys (when healthy) that at the drop of the gate can win. When was the last time we honestly could flip a coin and not really be sure who would win? So just being another one of the guys who "can win" is very impressive, but sadly its not enough. His consistency is shot and I wonder if he isn't coming to terms with fact that getting a win is one thing, but getting good starts, being healthy, being motivated, being LUCKY, being fast, and doing it for every round, is all pretty rare for him now.

And with guys like Musquin moving up next year, it ain't getting easier. If I were him, I would feel good about walking away. I'm sure this year hasn't gone as he expected, but honestly, it wasn't that bad of a year. He was legit, the crowd loved him, he's healthy - what more do you really want or need?
Dtat720
Posts
1588
Joined
2/20/2015
Location
Flowood, MS, USA
5/5/2015 12:16pm
Farewell tour in SX next season and off to race cars back in OZ. He has a passion for auto racing, he wants to continue racing and winning. Its not going to happen on a bike anymore.
S.Loyer
Posts
1749
Joined
1/4/2012
Location
Palmer, AK, USA
5/5/2015 2:41pm
Decoster did not form and run his own race team. Reed is the first in the sport to accomplish this at the level he is at...
Decoster did not form and run his own race team. Reed is the first in the sport to accomplish this at the level he is at.

Decoster was an amazing racer back in the day and he is arguably the best team manager in the history of the sport but he never did both at the same time.

In that respect, Reed is definitely a pioneer in my opinion.
GuyB wrote:
How about MC?
That's a good point. Did L&M start that Yamaha team or was it MC? I can't remember, I just recall Brooks being involved to some degree...
That's a good point. Did L&M start that Yamaha team or was it MC? I can't remember, I just recall Brooks being involved to some degree. I was a huge RC fan back in the day so I probably didn't pay that close of attention. I know MC was involved in the Supercross.com team as well when they hired Shorty but that one fizzled fairly quickly.
Pretty sure Gibby is referring to his 97' Suzuki deal.

Post a reply to: Reed being Reed...

The Latest