Question for Pros? Hamblin & others

DirtyFilter75
Posts
6915
Joined
1/9/2009
Location
Evansville, IN, USA
Edited Date/Time 1/22/2012 9:01pm
What do you guys that have ridden the good equipment feel are the best mods for a bike?

I was at the track recently and a guy pulls up in a Concept Hauler with a 24ft trailer on the back and wheels out at least four bikes for his two kids. The bikes were totally BLINGED out! neither of these two kids could win out of the beginner class. I watched them ride and couldn't believe the waste of good equipment, before anybody lights me up I realize that everyone has to start somewhere. I am not taking anything away from kids trying to learn the sport. My issue is all the pros that can't get support, and guys that retire before their careers are over simply because they can't get a ride.

I have always been of the opinion that if you cannot ride the bike to it's full stock potential you don't need bling!

How do real pros feel about this?
|
aedwards07
Posts
944
Joined
5/17/2008
Location
st cloud, FL, USA
6/17/2009 12:46pm
IM far from a pro but I feel if you have the money to buy the big rig and all the blinging parts for the bikes then why not.When I was still in high school my partents bought me all the blinging anodized parts and everything for my bikes.Now that I am on my own I ride a basically stock Honda 450 with just a pipe,and suspension work.Id much rather spend the money on tires,oil,filters, and GAS than to buy axle blocks and engine covers and stuff like that.
zookrider62!
Posts
6825
Joined
12/22/2008
Location
Plano, TX, USA
6/17/2009 12:49pm
I understand your points but why would a pro care if some ams had their bikes blinged out? They (or their parents) worked hard at their chosen career to be able to bling their bikes out, why would that bother a pro?
P
Posts
6054
Joined
11/21/2006
Location
Greensboro, NC, USA
6/17/2009 12:52pm
I'm interested in the replies to the first question. I'm guessing the answer's will relate to suspension, but.................


P
troublebros
Posts
394
Joined
4/11/2008
Location
Redwood City, CA, USA
6/17/2009 12:53pm
Suspension, proper jetting and fresh rubbers...

The Shop

mxdad
Posts
482
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
USA
6/17/2009 12:58pm
Some people like to hop up cars, crotch rockets, harley's etc. Motocrossers like to hop up race bikes. Whats wrong with that? It actually helps the Pros because supporting the aftermarket allows the companies to support the riders.
roost251
Posts
501
Joined
3/15/2009
Location
Valentine, AZ, USA
6/17/2009 12:59pm
I think the point he is trying to make is what are the best mods. In ranking order I would have to say ( I'm no pro though)

1)supension
2)riding lessons
3) seat time
4)properly tuned bike
5)riding lessons
6)seat time
7)exhaust (four stroke)
8)riding lessons
9)seat time
10)engine mods
oh yeah and ride some more,
I love watching a local pro on a stock bike tear up the weekend warriors with 12 grand bikes, they look on thier face is priceless, like he shouldnt be that fast he doesnt have expensive part this and overpriced that. lol
6/17/2009 1:01pm
mxdad wrote:
Some people like to hop up cars, crotch rockets, harley's etc. Motocrossers like to hop up race bikes. Whats wrong with that? It actually helps the...
Some people like to hop up cars, crotch rockets, harley's etc. Motocrossers like to hop up race bikes. Whats wrong with that? It actually helps the Pros because supporting the aftermarket allows the companies to support the riders.
Couldn't have said it better
BK
Posts
740
Joined
8/15/2006
Location
Gilbert, AZ, USA
6/17/2009 1:12pm
I'm no pro but I did stay in a Holiday Inn.....

Suspension, suspension, suspension. In that order.
rc4187
Posts
1086
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
USA
6/17/2009 1:18pm
i usually mod my handlebars, suspension and triple clamps. the rest usually stays stock until i break it.
firemedic301
Posts
220
Joined
2/9/2009
Location
Lake Havasu, AZ, USA
6/17/2009 1:21pm
roost251 wrote:
I think the point he is trying to make is what are the best mods. In ranking order I would have to say ( I'm no...
I think the point he is trying to make is what are the best mods. In ranking order I would have to say ( I'm no pro though)

1)supension
2)riding lessons
3) seat time
4)properly tuned bike
5)riding lessons
6)seat time
7)exhaust (four stroke)
8)riding lessons
9)seat time
10)engine mods
oh yeah and ride some more,
I love watching a local pro on a stock bike tear up the weekend warriors with 12 grand bikes, they look on thier face is priceless, like he shouldnt be that fast he doesnt have expensive part this and overpriced that. lol
Suspension, Suspension, Suspension - I was lucky enough to buy Joe Oehlhof's Supercross race bike from last year and I have had revalved and resprung suspension (Racetech) and it was good, but Pro Circuit A-kit suspension is HUGE. I am just a hacker and it has progressed my riding a lot. I have made some significant mistakes coming up short on some jumps that I know if I was on my old suspension I would have taken a dirt nap, and rode away no problem with the Pro Circuit suspension. Oh and the Pro Circuit motor mods make the bike smoking fast, too bad I only use about half the throttle.Blink
DirtyFilter75
Posts
6915
Joined
1/9/2009
Location
Evansville, IN, USA
6/17/2009 1:22pm
roost251 wrote:
I think the point he is trying to make is what are the best mods. In ranking order I would have to say ( I'm no...
I think the point he is trying to make is what are the best mods. In ranking order I would have to say ( I'm no pro though)

1)supension
2)riding lessons
3) seat time
4)properly tuned bike
5)riding lessons
6)seat time
7)exhaust (four stroke)
8)riding lessons
9)seat time
10)engine mods
oh yeah and ride some more,
I love watching a local pro on a stock bike tear up the weekend warriors with 12 grand bikes, they look on thier face is priceless, like he shouldnt be that fast he doesnt have expensive part this and overpriced that. lol
I may not have worded the question exactly right but i think sometimes riders of limited abilities actually make their bikes harder to ride therefore actually hindering their development as riders.

I figured the answer would be suspension. I still wanted to hear it from a pro.

I recently found an old Ivan Tedesco article and in it he said that rather than by mods try standing up. According to the article standing up more will make you faster than any pipe or engine mods.
zookrider62!
Posts
6825
Joined
12/22/2008
Location
Plano, TX, USA
6/17/2009 1:23pm Edited Date/Time 6/17/2009 1:23pm
mxdad wrote:
Some people like to hop up cars, crotch rockets, harley's etc. Motocrossers like to hop up race bikes. Whats wrong with that? It actually helps the...
Some people like to hop up cars, crotch rockets, harley's etc. Motocrossers like to hop up race bikes. Whats wrong with that? It actually helps the Pros because supporting the aftermarket allows the companies to support the riders.
You stated it much better then I could, kudos.
mx918
Posts
567
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
Louisville, KY, USA
6/17/2009 2:49pm
I buy for function, not fashion. Whats wrong with stock drain plugs and stuff?

The money goes to suspension and motor work....and you can't forget to practice. Ride ride ride!
worcsracer808
Posts
640
Joined
1/13/2009
Location
Boulder City, NV, USA
6/17/2009 3:34pm
yeah I m not a pro and not really a dirtbike rider but I'm a Pro-Am ATV racer, but yeah from what I gather it seems that the most important is obviously suspensionn (I know it is on ATVS), but from what I've seen dirtbike suspension isn't too bad stock with a revalve or rebuild, so I'd go controls (handlebars, grips, levers, pegs, maybe steering stablilizer-little things that made the rider comfy) then suspension, then simple motor mods (like cams, porting, piston, and for reliability such as aftermarket clutches) also exhaust. Bling isn't necessary but it sure looks sweet huh? It's kind of weird with the stock thing like if you can't ride it to it's stock potential then you don't need bling and I think that that's true for the most part especially motor and suspension wise, if they aren't using all the power or travel why make the motor stronger and the suspension better? but at the same time, if they just aren't comfy on the stock suspension and don't go so fast they won't really use all it's power or potential either so it's kind of a toss up but if you got your bike blinged out and you're not even good, just consider yourself lucky!
brent26wood
Posts
1103
Joined
11/1/2006
Location
Washington, DC, USA
6/17/2009 4:00pm
I raced bikes (B-class) and quads (B-class) and my bikes/quads were always blinged out. After I took care of the motor and suspension, I took care of the looks. I did it because I work hard for what I own and wanted it to look nice. Same with my street bikes and my cars/trucks.
DirtyFilter75
Posts
6915
Joined
1/9/2009
Location
Evansville, IN, USA
6/18/2009 5:42am
I see these guys with their pimped out bikes and then I see a guy like Shawn Clark, Justin Sipes, or Jacob Saylor at our local track not getting the support they deserve based on theit ability. This Scott Champion thing would fall right in line with this. It makes me sick to see a C rider on a tricked out 09 bike when a pro is pitting next to him out of a pick up. I always think if the pro had the good equipment or financial backing his career would go further.
Jack Flash
Posts
567
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
Gold Coast, AU
6/18/2009 5:57am
Electric starter?
overdrive09
Posts
208
Joined
8/26/2007
Location
Windermere, FL, USA
6/18/2009 6:06am
I see these guys with their pimped out bikes and then I see a guy like Shawn Clark, Justin Sipes, or Jacob Saylor at our local...
I see these guys with their pimped out bikes and then I see a guy like Shawn Clark, Justin Sipes, or Jacob Saylor at our local track not getting the support they deserve based on theit ability. This Scott Champion thing would fall right in line with this. It makes me sick to see a C rider on a tricked out 09 bike when a pro is pitting next to him out of a pick up. I always think if the pro had the good equipment or financial backing his career would go further.
Nothing you can do or say to change that.

Back when I raced pro many of these people who were doing well and blinging out their kids bikes helped out the local pro's also. You can't judge by looks. I would have to say most local pros have had lots of local help from poeple who want to see them do well. Take Gavin for example.
-eagle-
Posts
1610
Joined
5/9/2008
Location
ZW
6/18/2009 6:19am
mx918 wrote:
I buy for function, not fashion. Whats wrong with stock drain plugs and stuff? The money goes to suspension and motor work....and you can't forget to...
I buy for function, not fashion. Whats wrong with stock drain plugs and stuff?

The money goes to suspension and motor work....and you can't forget to practice. Ride ride ride!
Nice ride in that consi at high point.
Old GA Racer
Posts
73
Joined
12/22/2008
Location
Nicholls, GA, USA
6/18/2009 7:49am
I see these guys with their pimped out bikes and then I see a guy like Shawn Clark, Justin Sipes, or Jacob Saylor at our local...
I see these guys with their pimped out bikes and then I see a guy like Shawn Clark, Justin Sipes, or Jacob Saylor at our local track not getting the support they deserve based on theit ability. This Scott Champion thing would fall right in line with this. It makes me sick to see a C rider on a tricked out 09 bike when a pro is pitting next to him out of a pick up. I always think if the pro had the good equipment or financial backing his career would go further.
I know I've seen guys back in the day that i thought could make it if given a chance. More after market companies field teams now than back in the old days so maybe ther eis more opportunity now. It seems like companies such as husqvarna would field some kind of team if they want to sell any bikes.

On another note i think any class rider that has the money and wants to spend it
deserves a tricked out bike. You would ride one over a stock bike and i would too.
6/18/2009 8:10am
Handle bars and dialing in your stock suspension. As you get faster having someone do the suspension. I use to win local pro races on a bike with a dead stock motor and suspension mods.

Unless youre a really fast "B" rider or above, a modified motor is useless. There is only 2 maybe 3 guys that post here that can use a stock motor to its potential, let alone a modded one.
drmarkr
Posts
3226
Joined
8/21/2006
Location
Tucson, AZ, USA
6/18/2009 8:37am
I see these guys with their pimped out bikes and then I see a guy like Shawn Clark, Justin Sipes, or Jacob Saylor at our local...
I see these guys with their pimped out bikes and then I see a guy like Shawn Clark, Justin Sipes, or Jacob Saylor at our local track not getting the support they deserve based on theit ability. This Scott Champion thing would fall right in line with this. It makes me sick to see a C rider on a tricked out 09 bike when a pro is pitting next to him out of a pick up. I always think if the pro had the good equipment or financial backing his career would go further.
What's your real fucking point dude?

Maybe you think the guy that worked his ass off making the money to be able to buy his kids all the bling should "share" his wealth with the "struggling" privateer? That Dad has no fucking responsibility to these pro riders. If the industry isn't doing well enough to put dollars out for the lower tier privateers, then that's the way it is. In fact, by blinging out his kids bikes/buying more bikes, he's doing more to stimulate the industry that most of the rest of us.

6/18/2009 9:22am
I see these guys with their pimped out bikes and then I see a guy like Shawn Clark, Justin Sipes, or Jacob Saylor at our local...
I see these guys with their pimped out bikes and then I see a guy like Shawn Clark, Justin Sipes, or Jacob Saylor at our local track not getting the support they deserve based on theit ability. This Scott Champion thing would fall right in line with this. It makes me sick to see a C rider on a tricked out 09 bike when a pro is pitting next to him out of a pick up. I always think if the pro had the good equipment or financial backing his career would go further.
drmarkr wrote:
What's your real fucking point dude? Maybe you think the guy that worked his ass off making the money to be able to buy his kids...
What's your real fucking point dude?

Maybe you think the guy that worked his ass off making the money to be able to buy his kids all the bling should "share" his wealth with the "struggling" privateer? That Dad has no fucking responsibility to these pro riders. If the industry isn't doing well enough to put dollars out for the lower tier privateers, then that's the way it is. In fact, by blinging out his kids bikes/buying more bikes, he's doing more to stimulate the industry that most of the rest of us.

Hey there, don't go makin' all kinds of economic sense there, Dr. You'll just confuse the masses. Remember successful = bad, and everyone's entitled to what you've worked for.
ACMYERS
Posts
865
Joined
3/21/2008
Location
Zeeland, MI, USA
6/18/2009 9:24am
keep the bike stock except suspension....By the aftermarket stuff when stock wears or breaks as the aftermarket is usually cheaper than the OEM stuff.
CR500Rider
Posts
1272
Joined
4/4/2008
Location
San Antonio, TX, USA
6/18/2009 9:39am
Suspension, proper jetting and fresh rubbers...
Should make any rider happy.
flarider
Posts
25496
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
Daytona Beach, FL, USA
6/18/2009 10:11am
I see these guys with their pimped out bikes and then I see a guy like Shawn Clark, Justin Sipes, or Jacob Saylor at our local...
I see these guys with their pimped out bikes and then I see a guy like Shawn Clark, Justin Sipes, or Jacob Saylor at our local track not getting the support they deserve based on theit ability. This Scott Champion thing would fall right in line with this. It makes me sick to see a C rider on a tricked out 09 bike when a pro is pitting next to him out of a pick up. I always think if the pro had the good equipment or financial backing his career would go further.
Ever consider that sometimes people (industry) feel a rider got his chance and didn't take full advantage of it and that is why they're getting less or no support? Ever think those who make the decisions know moe about some of these riders than you and know they don't give it 100% 24/7/365 and spend more time playing rockstar than MX PROFESSIONAL?
Ever consider they know more about the racers than you?

So, ever consider that is why they turn their support to new up and coming riders in the hopes of them stepping to the next level and putting the racing before the partying.


(This post is not directed towards or imply any particular racer or individual)


TJ
Posts
389
Joined
8/15/2006
Location
Queen Creek, AZ, USA
6/18/2009 10:16am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 12:28am
[color=blue] I'm with Doc & dad on this. I've had tricked out bikes, & stockers. I typically put wheels on my vehicles & have had a couple show cars in the past. I'm one of "those" guys, I guess. I like to make rides look good. Even when I have stockers, I keep em showroom clean. I'm slow as all hell, but I don't care. If Joe Local wants his bikes to look good, how is that hurting anything? Like Doc & dad said, they're supporting the aftermarket companies & thus the sport, are they not? And why would he (or I) give 2 sh!ts about what a Pro thinks about it anyway? Pros are just regular guys who can ride fast. I don't take their word as Gospel, & don't understand people who do...//TJ [/color]
drmarkr
Posts
3226
Joined
8/21/2006
Location
Tucson, AZ, USA
6/18/2009 10:23am
The difference in a pro's bike that blinged out, and an Am's bike (at least MOST Am's bikes) that's blinged out, is that the Am paid for his bling. The pro had his paid for/supplied by a sponsor.

Everyone that decided to discuss what makes you go faster, carry on....
DirtyFilter75
Posts
6915
Joined
1/9/2009
Location
Evansville, IN, USA
6/18/2009 10:27am
I see these guys with their pimped out bikes and then I see a guy like Shawn Clark, Justin Sipes, or Jacob Saylor at our local...
I see these guys with their pimped out bikes and then I see a guy like Shawn Clark, Justin Sipes, or Jacob Saylor at our local track not getting the support they deserve based on theit ability. This Scott Champion thing would fall right in line with this. It makes me sick to see a C rider on a tricked out 09 bike when a pro is pitting next to him out of a pick up. I always think if the pro had the good equipment or financial backing his career would go further.
drmarkr wrote:
What's your real fucking point dude? Maybe you think the guy that worked his ass off making the money to be able to buy his kids...
What's your real fucking point dude?

Maybe you think the guy that worked his ass off making the money to be able to buy his kids all the bling should "share" his wealth with the "struggling" privateer? That Dad has no fucking responsibility to these pro riders. If the industry isn't doing well enough to put dollars out for the lower tier privateers, then that's the way it is. In fact, by blinging out his kids bikes/buying more bikes, he's doing more to stimulate the industry that most of the rest of us.

The point of the post was to see if this bothered anyone besides myself. I t just seems wrong that the people who need the help and can do some good with it don't get it and the guy that can't has all the chances. Everyone's opinion on this is what it is simply an opinion.

I am not for socialism or any of that. I have a son that is a decent rider and before i spent a bunch of money tricking his bike out I would hire a riding coach. That's just me though.
drmarkr
Posts
3226
Joined
8/21/2006
Location
Tucson, AZ, USA
6/18/2009 10:35am
"It just seems wrong that the people who need the help and can do some good with it don't get it and the guy that can't has all the chances."

You're making no sense....it's not the Dad of those kids that should be helping the struggling privateer's. The two are totally unrelated!!! You're implying that it's "unfair" that those kids get good bling, when the pro doesn't. The Dad isn't getting all that shit from the factory (again, most aren't).....he earned it working a job. Something those privateer's are probably getting ready to learn all about. Hopefully they got a decent education (home schooled??) and are prepared.

More class warfare bullshit....geez....

Post a reply to: Question for Pros? Hamblin & others

The Latest