Local Races

Holesyaaat
Edited Date/Time 3/12/2012 10:34pm
I've been out of the loop for a while as far as my local MX scene in Boise, Idaho goes. When I was younger and raced the beginner/junior classes at races, I always got to race a full gate of other kids. One of the things that kept me coming back was the competitiveness in EVERY class.

I went to a local winter series race today, and was kind of bummed out. There were about 5-8 kids in each of the small bike classes (50s-Supermini), and it wasn't that much bigger in the other classes.

I don't know if it was just the case for today, but I was curious if you all are seein this too...
|
mx757
3/11/2012 3:36pm
$$$ is a big part of it. I started racing in 2002, and we had qualifiers in the 125 novice class damn near every week. Seemed like about 05 the fields started dropping off drastically.
Holesyaaat
3/11/2012 9:12pm
Yeah the only thing that comes to mind is a bad economy...

I'll have to check out some summer series races and see if everyone is just hibernating..
RonSkj
Fantasy
131st
3/11/2012 9:30pm
It's those frickin 4 strokes. Ruined local racing!!
SunComfort
3/11/2012 9:33pm
IMO its between the cost of staying competitive on the 4 strokes
and the fact there is so much sand bagging going on anymore, alot of
people have lost interest. Practice days, seem to do way better than
race days in our area, but i havent been to a race in a couple years
now.

The Shop

CamP
3/12/2012 5:13am
Motocross racing and the economy are directly linked.
CRF505
3/12/2012 5:26am
SunComfort wrote:
IMO its between the cost of staying competitive on the 4 strokes and the fact there is so much sand bagging going on anymore, alot of...
IMO its between the cost of staying competitive on the 4 strokes
and the fact there is so much sand bagging going on anymore, alot of
people have lost interest. Practice days, seem to do way better than
race days in our area, but i havent been to a race in a couple years
now.
I would say this happens in my area as well.
davis224
Fantasy
165th
3/12/2012 5:34am
when i started racing in late 2004, there was still a majority of 2 strokes racing, and most classes had at least 20 riders, hell, there were 17 in the 125D class I was in, 2005-2006, a 30 rider gate wasnt uncommon in the C class, even had 43 one time. 2007 I went to B, and races started getting smaller, average of round 10-20 B riders, C class started shrinking too. Had to quit for about a year, came back in 08 and it was a ghost town. The biggest classes averaged around 15, most classes 10 or less. Nowadays its worse, sometimes I'm in a class with 2 other bikes, if I have 8 bikes with me its a big day. At the local track the biggest class has consistently been the 125 smoker class, getting pretty popular, usually has at least 10 bikes. Kinda sad, I miss the days of full gates.
jleews6
3/12/2012 6:40am
I agree with others in that it's the economy. Allot of people just don't have the money to go racing anymore and if you want to race and be competitive you have to ride all the time and that in itself will cost allot of money. My son races B class and rides once a week and has to compete against kids that ride every day.
I used to drag race cars and I think that motocross is more money if you want to be at the top of the local scene.
jndmx
3/12/2012 6:50am Edited Date/Time 3/12/2012 6:52am
jleews6 wrote:
I agree with others in that it's the economy. Allot of people just don't have the money to go racing anymore and if you want to...
I agree with others in that it's the economy. Allot of people just don't have the money to go racing anymore and if you want to race and be competitive you have to ride all the time and that in itself will cost allot of money. My son races B class and rides once a week and has to compete against kids that ride every day.
I used to drag race cars and I think that motocross is more money if you want to be at the top of the local scene.
Yep.....it isn't just about the bike or what it costs to just go to a race.

It's all the practice track time, food, gas and constant minor parts/fuel/oil that will cost you $2-3K a year to race with any hope of doing well.
Add that to cost of entries and a bike and you are spending 8-9 Grand to race locally.

If you don't have a good job or even worse aren't working right now this kinda stuff isn't happening.
If I didn't work announcing at races my son would have been out of the game years ago.
JustMX
3/12/2012 7:02am
CamP wrote:
Motocross racing and the economy are directly linked.
Well, of course they are.

Increasing the expense to get into the sport with $5k 50cc bikes and no real affordable option for entry level big bike riders is not helping.

I don't see the sport ever getting back to the level of the early to mid 2000's.

Well, not with 4 strokes anyway....electric bikes could be the game changer as far as grass roots entry level moto.

It would increase options for riding areas and hopefuly get the cost back down to a reasonable level.
Picard186
3/12/2012 7:15am
Holesyaaat wrote:
I've been out of the loop for a while as far as my local MX scene in Boise, Idaho goes. When I was younger and raced...
I've been out of the loop for a while as far as my local MX scene in Boise, Idaho goes. When I was younger and raced the beginner/junior classes at races, I always got to race a full gate of other kids. One of the things that kept me coming back was the competitiveness in EVERY class.

I went to a local winter series race today, and was kind of bummed out. There were about 5-8 kids in each of the small bike classes (50s-Supermini), and it wasn't that much bigger in the other classes.

I don't know if it was just the case for today, but I was curious if you all are seein this too...
No one races around the Boise area anymore. But you should check out the vintage race at the end of the month, and also the Road to Mammoth Qualifier is April 16th. Everyone will show up for that.
MtnBoy
3/12/2012 8:32am
Holesyaaat wrote:
I've been out of the loop for a while as far as my local MX scene in Boise, Idaho goes. When I was younger and raced...

Are you going down the Delt hill in a shopping cart in that pic?
Holesyaaat
3/12/2012 11:38am
Holesyaaat wrote:

Picard186 wrote:
No one races around the Boise area anymore. But you should check out the vintage race at the end of the month, and also the Road...
No one races around the Boise area anymore. But you should check out the vintage race at the end of the month, and also the Road to Mammoth Qualifier is April 16th. Everyone will show up for that.
Yeah it's a bummer. It sounds like the Koubas and everyone are going to Rupert next weekend. I guess it's a bit of a different story up there.

I would give my left nut to ride Mammoth. Maybe next year...
Holesyaaat
3/12/2012 11:39am
Holesyaaat wrote:

MtnBoy wrote:
Are you going down the Delt hill in a shopping cart in that pic?
Yes sir. In a Luigi costume I might add. The day after the Halloween party my freshman year got a little wild...
yanks_178
3/12/2012 11:46am
I've seen more people at an open Saturday practice than a race the next day!! It all comes down to money.. I've got 2 sons.. We drive round trip 200 miles to the track, Each of them races 2 classes, my wife and daughter come along so we have 5 "gate fees" and that will all equal about $300 for 1 day of something to do.. I don't count food and drink because we would have spent that anyways.. Now in the summer sometimes we will drive to a track and my wife will lay out in the sun and we will grill out and hang out as a family all together in a less stressful environment for the cost of some gas to get somewhere! Now lets hope we didn't have a breakdown on the bike so we can go racing next weekend (by the way we have been on 2 strokes 85/100)
sc961
3/12/2012 1:27pm
Economy is related to, but not the total impact driver.

4 stroke cost is only an issue if you have an engine failure. If that doesn't happen, you'd likely feel the cost is similar. Once the engine goes, you'll wish it hadn't.. Although 4 stroke retail bike prices are high, have you checked a KTM or Yamah 250 2 stroke lately?

Race day cost Vs. value is a big peice of the pie as yanks mentioned above. High cost, and being in attendance all day waiting for your 5 mintues on the track doesn't seem to be attractive. The MX day is losing some traffic to the harescrambles scene.. Lots of seat time, get in and out in a reasonable amount of time, and usually reduced cost of race day.

One thing that people don't mention much is the attitude change.
We've gone from the majority of people "15-20 years ago" at the track driving a pickup/trailer combo, and consisting mostly of mini age through +30 riders
to
Parking lots full of Motorhome/hauler type rigs and more riders between 35 and 55. Seems the younger group doesn't have the desire to continue on without the parents help. A generation ago, that's what the kids did, whether their parents were there or not. Times change, and our sport is feeling the pains of that change.
Holesyaaat
3/12/2012 2:30pm Edited Date/Time 3/12/2012 2:31pm
The hare scrambles/enduro scene is where it's at these days. We have an ISDE qualifier here, and on a gnarly year, you get more than enough riding crammed into 2 days.

I think that enduro's work best for the family scene too. You don't get to ride with your kid on a motocross track, but if you're around the same speed, you can run an enduro on the same minute as a friend, and it almost becomes a teamwork thing.

My dad and I ran the qualifier together twice, and it's definitely a big family bonding thing..
Overdrive
3/12/2012 3:15pm
To Damn Expensive, new 4 strokes are way to much and used ones are a ticking time bomb. Young guys can't afford to do this sport any more. Its starting to die off.
Mstock
3/12/2012 3:29pm
The 18-28 year old segment is gone. No way a dude working a entry level $7.50/hr job is buying a bike. No way a kid putting themselves through college working full time is buying a bike. No way a dude with a new family, student loan payments, making 30k a year is buying a bike. The mini's and the vet classes are doing ok but yet there are over 20 seperate classes on race day. Add to that there are over 50 Ama district 16 races during a 6 month period (many on the same dates) and of course attendance is going to be light at any given event. The answer is simple. 1 points race, twice per month, per district. Sure, in shit holes like WI that will mean a 12 round series but hell thats more than the outdoor national series. But what the fuck do I know. I just love motocross and do my own thing these days.
Overdrive
3/12/2012 3:43pm
Mstock wrote:
The 18-28 year old segment is gone. No way a dude working a entry level $7.50/hr job is buying a bike. No way a kid putting...
The 18-28 year old segment is gone. No way a dude working a entry level $7.50/hr job is buying a bike. No way a kid putting themselves through college working full time is buying a bike. No way a dude with a new family, student loan payments, making 30k a year is buying a bike. The mini's and the vet classes are doing ok but yet there are over 20 seperate classes on race day. Add to that there are over 50 Ama district 16 races during a 6 month period (many on the same dates) and of course attendance is going to be light at any given event. The answer is simple. 1 points race, twice per month, per district. Sure, in shit holes like WI that will mean a 12 round series but hell thats more than the outdoor national series. But what the fuck do I know. I just love motocross and do my own thing these days.
Once the vet guys are gone the sport is dead on the local level, with no new 18 to 28 year olds coming in kiss it good bye. To expensive for the entry level rider.
Saltybrad
3/12/2012 5:47pm
Mstock wrote:
The 18-28 year old segment is gone. No way a dude working a entry level $7.50/hr job is buying a bike. No way a kid putting...
Overdrive wrote:
Once the vet guys are gone the sport is dead on the local level, with no new 18 to 28 year olds coming in kiss it...
Once the vet guys are gone the sport is dead on the local level, with no new 18 to 28 year olds coming in kiss it good bye. To expensive for the entry level rider.
Well damn thats a poopy point of view.. I'm a Gen x'r who had to stop riding because of the usual 30 something divorce with a kid. Now that my son is almost 13, I just went and bought a ticking time bomb '03 CRF 450. I'm back on the track, and my son who I spend every other weekend with is having his teachers call me to tell me he has an A in his class so i will help him to get into an 85. I have the first stable job I've had in five or six years and if my boy wants to line it up on the gate, well I'll work my ass off to make that happen. Lot's of Gen x'ers broke this ground, I bet they will be back.
jmx411
3/12/2012 7:17pm
Motocross is still doing better than auto racing. Almost every damn stock car track has closed in the carolinas
jmx411
3/12/2012 7:19pm
Mstock wrote:
Overdrive wrote:
Once the vet guys are gone the sport is dead on the local level, with no new 18 to 28 year olds coming in kiss it...
Overdrive you're right. Same thing starting happening in auto racing. Once it's to expensive for the 20 something to try and cut their teeth in the sport it will slowly die
mx757
3/12/2012 8:46pm
Mstock wrote:
Overdrive wrote:
jmx411 wrote:
Overdrive you're right. Same thing starting happening in auto racing. Once it's to expensive for the 20 something to try and cut their teeth in the...
Overdrive you're right. Same thing starting happening in auto racing. Once it's to expensive for the 20 something to try and cut their teeth in the sport it will slowly die
Thats the good thing about the entry level classes at the local stock car tracks. The class I run is called hornets, which is basically any 1981 or newer 4 cylinder (front or rear wheel drive) car, with the only modifications allowed being safety related (roll cage, racing seat, ETC) Its good for 2 reasons. 1, you can buy a car basically turn key, already set up, for under 2 grand. add in a trailer for roughly $1000 (trailers can be had even cheaper if you search) and $500 of gear (firesuit, helmet, shoes ETC) and say $500 worth of tires for the year, and youre racing for $4000. The bad thing is, even classes like that are in the same boat as the local MX scene. Most of the cars are either fielded by 14-18 year old kids who have pops fitting the bill, or the 30+ crowd out there wanting to feel like his favorite nascar driver.
3/12/2012 9:35pm Edited Date/Time 3/12/2012 9:38pm
davis224 wrote:
when i started racing in late 2004, there was still a majority of 2 strokes racing, and most classes had at least 20 riders, hell, there...
when i started racing in late 2004, there was still a majority of 2 strokes racing, and most classes had at least 20 riders, hell, there were 17 in the 125D class I was in, 2005-2006, a 30 rider gate wasnt uncommon in the C class, even had 43 one time. 2007 I went to B, and races started getting smaller, average of round 10-20 B riders, C class started shrinking too. Had to quit for about a year, came back in 08 and it was a ghost town. The biggest classes averaged around 15, most classes 10 or less. Nowadays its worse, sometimes I'm in a class with 2 other bikes, if I have 8 bikes with me its a big day. At the local track the biggest class has consistently been the 125 smoker class, getting pretty popular, usually has at least 10 bikes. Kinda sad, I miss the days of full gates.
My first race at a real track was like that.. I raced in the guys 125 beginner class and the gate was full with 40 riders (rubber band start too). I finished 13th overall on a 5 year old roach.. the jumps weren't as risky and the racing just seemed better to me.

I'm done racing because of the jumps. I don't do the big ones and do not want to end up in the ER from being used as a landing ramp for some teenager on a CRF450. Totally relate to what Stanton was saying tonight about him possibly racing a legends event.

Aside from the safety factor, racing is just not cost effective either. I used to spend $100 easy on a weekend of racing and then get maybe 15-20 minutes of actual track time over a 8 hour day. I can pay $20 and ride pretty much whenever I want for several hours, and go home while it is still light out.

This ain't rocket science.
3/12/2012 10:21pm
Mstock wrote:
not totally true, i saved up for about a year to buy a pristine 06 yz250 in 08 with a 8$/hour job all the while going to college, and playing D1 tennis

to buy a new bike, i say yes its damn near impossible, but to buy a nice used bike, not as bad

Post a reply to: Local Races

The Latest