James Stewart Speaks

jasonv43
Edited Date/Time 1/26/2012 10:48am
I know this is long but I figured it was a good read anyways.

James Stewart Speaks!
By BJ Smith

ESPN.com: Is there is a question you're sick of answering right now?
James Stewart: (laughs) Probably the one for me is 'When are you going to be back racing again?' because I had surgery six months ago and at that time I didn't know. It's one of those things where I thought I was going to be riding a few weeks afterward but I never got the call [from the doctor]. Six months down the road, as you can imagine, and after all the races I missed, that's been the question.

How hard was it to make the decision not to come to the X Games?
Well, I've been riding for two weeks now, and obviously I was planning on going, but this decision kind of happened a little while ago. It didn't happen this week. But I think everyone was just kind of holding on [to the idea] that maybe I would get back and start riding and feel like Superman in one week. I came back riding and I was trying to get back on the outdoors (AMA Motocross Championship). It was a little bit easier than Supercross, and X Games popped up so quick. It just wasn't quite there.

At what point did you realize that your speed and strength wasn't there?
Probably last week. I realized that I had to race within a week and a half. Stress-wise, being off the motorcycle for six months, it took a little bit longer than I thought. More on my wrist than anything, strength-wise, it's a pain going from motocross to a supercross track and not knowing for sure. I wouldn't be able to do 20 laps. I think I would be lucky to get half of that.

What does the pain feel like? Describe what you're feeling in your wrist.
Honestly, it's like breaking your pinky toe and being out for six months. That's what it feels like. To me, it's a really small bone and shouldn't be a big deal. Like Josh Hill broke his femur. That's a big deal. This bone in my wrist is maybe smaller than a pinky toe and I've been out for six months. It doesn't get a lot of blood flow and it does take a long time, but it's been stressful and I'm over trying to deal with this and getting the call every week like, 'Hey, can we ride?' 'No, not yet.' This year I was really looking forward to getting back to the X Games -- since I missed out last year because I hurt my shoulder -- and kind of coming over there and destroying the whole field. But, unfortunately, I got hurt in January and it's still hurting me in July.

How much does it hurt to listen to the rumors, speculation and trash talk?
It's been difficult to know that I can't back it up. I've heard people sit there and talk about me and I couldn't do anything about it. At the same time it's one of those things that I knew what kind of injury I had and I had to take my time and come back.

In this sport people tend to buy into the phrase "You're only as good as your last race." I've had that conversation with Jeremy McGrath more than once. Are you feeling that, too?
For sure. You go from winning all these races to ... I won the first race of the season, broke my wrist the second race and the third race I should have won but I had a broken wrist. Still, it's like you're done, 'He's retired.'

Do you believe in Super X event at the X Games? Do you think it's a worthwhile event for the industry?
Definitely. The event is awesome. Last year I went in thinking it was going to be a normal race, but it was gnarly. We had, like, an hour of supercross practice! The X Games is huge because so many people watch it. It was neat for me to be a part of it and see how many fans I have -- and that was before my TV show. I know if I was able to come back this year it would be even bigger. I'm definitely bummed out.

What can the X Games do to get more top guys in the Super X event?
It's hard, and unfortunately we're going to lose out. You can't have events where nobody shows up, especially the top guys. Racing is different because [X Games] is not one of our events. If you get hurt the sponsors look at it as, 'Man, you shouldn't be out there doing that.' We look at it as a cool event to do, and the manufacturers look at it like 'Look, if you get hurt we won't pay you and you're not contracted to do that.' It kind of sucks.

I've always believed that you get more exposure from this one event than half the supercross season or outdoor season. The X Games is getting bigger and [manufacturers] see how much exposure you get from it. Motocross has been around for so long now that a lot people have their ways set. 'This is how we do it and if you don't like it, retire.'

Have you taken up any new hobbies in your off time?
I do a little wake surfing now. You only go about 10 mph behind a boat on a mini surfboard so I figure that's pretty safe. No rope, no nothing. Get up and catch a wave, that's about it. When you fall over it's like falling into a pool.

How much have you learned about television production in the last year?
A lot! It's funny because back in the day when you were producing motocross I was like 'Why can't you get me the tapes faster?' Now, I understand how involved it is. I enjoy doing my TV show. I didn't know how much [reality shows] were staged. Like the T.O. Show, I thought that's how he really was. But when you're behind the scenes, there's carrots out there that say 'Go do this because it's good for TV.' But it was fun.

They never told you it was all smoke and mirrors?
It's cool. You get put up in a situation and they say, 'Okay, act!' And I'll say, 'Now hold up, I'm not Denzel Washington; I can't just act! "Bubba's World 2" will be a lot more realistic. The first one was good, but this will be a lot more racing. It will be fun.

I watched a few episodes and I must say when I saw them I said, "That's not the James Stewart I know." I don't think we're best buds or anything but my first reaction was "That's not him." What did you feel when you saw the final product?
The same thing. I don't really go out and drink and I tried to portray that as best as I could, like, 'Look I really don't enjoy doing this,' but honestly so many young kids and the X Games crowd loved it. It was their favorite show. I couldn't believe it. When you get older, especially when you work in the industry, you know how things are set up, but people loved the show. What's best for me and what's best for TV helped me get bigger. It kind of goes along with the X Games; it might not be the best timing, but realistically I know how big it is and that I had to do it.

Did you learn about yourself through it? New experiences?
I mean, I got over my fear of alligators! I realized how much I hate partying and hanging out. That only amplified it more in the show. There was no raging moment in there where I was like, "Wow, that was groundbreaking." I knew what I was getting myself into and I don't have any complaints about it.

The second season is going to be a little bit different. It's more based around racing. I think the moto fans are going to love this one.

The industry media has been pumping up Unadilla as your return. Is that still your goal?
That's what I'm shooting for but I don't want to overcook it. I know how important it is to try to get back out and race. I know for a fact that Unadilla is probably going to be the highest rated of the outdoor series in probably the last couple of years.

X Games Super X. Pick a winner.
I'm going to have to go with Hanny (Josh Hansen). The three-peat. Hanny pulls a "Hanny."
|
Mr. G
7/29/2010 10:20am
You know there is a possible silver lining in his injury. As everybody knows he is certainly fast enough. And although he did have a perfect season his consistency (a la ) crashing is always suspect. Maybe just maybe he will take it down a notch occasionally and just boringly ride around and win races. It is a shame for the fastest rider in the history of motocross to be missing "his time".
DC
7/29/2010 10:20am
Highest rated show in the past couple of years? I like the way James thinks! Unadilla just got even more interesting...

DC
MX Sports

The Shop

Uncleof2
7/29/2010 10:28am
DC wrote:
Highest rated show in the past couple of years? I like the way James thinks! Unadilla just got even more interesting...

DC
MX Sports
If that is the case then there is a good chance that the Outdoor season will end with a
BANG @ Pala.
kongols
7/29/2010 10:29am
DC wrote:

DC
MX Sports
Uncleof2 wrote:
If that is the case then there is a good chance that the Outdoor season will end with a
BANG @ Pala.
Ohhh YeahhhWoohooWoohooWoohoo
calimxer91
7/29/2010 10:30am Edited Date/Time 8/26/2011 4:39pm
DC wrote:

DC
MX Sports
Uncleof2 wrote:
BANG @ Pala.
jasonv43
7/29/2010 10:31am
DC wrote:

DC
MX Sports
DC,

I'm just looking ahead to Pala. Dungey, Stewart, and possibly Villopoto. Should be good.

Have they started work on the track yet?
chrisbuehler
7/29/2010 10:33am
Sounds like his injury is really nagging him. And for the haters is that so hard to believe? Ya I know all you tough guys who ride for the fun and love of moto can tough out small injuries as can James. But he isn't going out to practice at his local track against some herbs, he's trying to get back and ride against the best of the best (I hear they have some racing in Europe too LOL). Isn't this the injury that ruined RJ's career? Even as a huge RD fan I still pray James will be ready. Rider's like James and RC come around once in a lifetime and we will be telling our kids what beasts they were. Let's appreciate that.
DC
7/29/2010 10:39am
I spoke at length with James earlier this week and he is in great sprit is, ready to race with Dungey and Shorty and just very anxious to get back out on a racetrack. And yes, the wrist has been problematic and he wanted to do the rigth thing, which is make sure it healed fully before getting back on a bike.

And I saw Ryan Villopoto's Tweet about getting back on the bike yesterday, and that's big news too. If he takes a full month to ride himself back into shape and comfort, there's a chance we will see him out there too, but I believe that's less likely at this point.

Either way, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

DC
MX Sports
lopez130
7/29/2010 10:40am
DC wrote:

DC
MX Sports
jasonv43 wrote:
DC,

I'm just looking ahead to Pala. Dungey, Stewart, and possibly Villopoto. Should be good.

Hey J u wann go to X Games?
kongols
7/29/2010 10:44am Edited Date/Time 7/29/2010 10:45am
DC wrote:
I spoke at length with James earlier this week and he is in great sprit is, ready to race with Dungey and Shorty and just very...
I spoke at length with James earlier this week and he is in great sprit is, ready to race with Dungey and Shorty and just very anxious to get back out on a racetrack. And yes, the wrist has been problematic and he wanted to do the rigth thing, which is make sure it healed fully before getting back on a bike.

And I saw Ryan Villopoto's Tweet about getting back on the bike yesterday, and that's big news too. If he takes a full month to ride himself back into shape and comfort, there's a chance we will see him out there too, but I believe that's less likely at this point.

DC
MX Sports
chrisbuehler
7/29/2010 10:46am Edited Date/Time 7/29/2010 10:48am
Mr. G wrote:
You know there is a possible silver lining in his injury. As everybody knows he is certainly fast enough. And although he did have a perfect...
You know there is a possible silver lining in his injury. As everybody knows he is certainly fast enough. And although he did have a perfect season his consistency (a la ) crashing is always suspect. Maybe just maybe he will take it down a notch occasionally and just boringly ride around and win races. It is a shame for the fastest rider in the history of motocross to be missing "his time".
It is a shame for the fastest rider in the history of motocross to be missing "his time". RC's missing "his time?"
kongols
7/29/2010 10:47am
DC wrote:
I spoke at length with James earlier this week and he is in great sprit is, ready to race with Dungey and Shorty and just very...

DC
MX Sports
Mr. G
7/29/2010 10:56am
Mr. G wrote:
You know there is a possible silver lining in his injury. As everybody knows he is certainly fast enough. And although he did have a perfect...
It is a shame for the fastest rider in the history of motocross to be missing "his time". RC's missing "his time?"
Huh? Rc went on to become the most winingness ( not sure if that is a word) rider of all time. He had the greatest ability to line up for almost every race. He had his time clearly. By the by "his time" means "at the peak of ability" with the added ability to be faster than everyone else. The longer James stays out the greater chance of others to surpass his speed. I am not saying it is not necessary, it is just a shame.
jasonv43
7/29/2010 11:01am
DC wrote:

DC
MX Sports
jasonv43 wrote:
DC,

lopez130 wrote:
Hey J u wann go to X Games?
I hate you Lopez. Oh look at me I don't have to work today so I'm going to go watch Hanson literally Whip everybody's ass while I will be working.

Have fun & I will see you this weekend.
jasonv43
7/29/2010 11:04am
DC wrote:

DC
MX Sports
kongols wrote:
[img]http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT022vK4tUXlhhbnpKZgfdDHGEcpk0O4OdLMJ75f6R33T98Dwo&t=1&usg=__PK7i0u-buxz_L6xFQoDcvytoi2Y=[/img]
7/29/2010 12:21pm
DC wrote:

DC
MX Sports
The rest of the season got more interesting.
Cigaro
7/29/2010 12:23pm
If this race was PPV, I would buy it. Don't get any ideas DC. Tongue
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4254th
7/29/2010 12:28pm
Not to live in the past, but I miss the racing from this year.

It's absolutely awesome to have Stewart back on the track for every MX fan. Credit to him for being wise about managing the injury. Likewise when RV gets back up to speed.
Rudeboy119
7/29/2010 12:35pm
sounds to me the excuses have bugun for #7 before the gate drops. Less jawin and more racin'
7/29/2010 12:37pm
Rudeboy119 wrote:
sounds to me the excuses have bugun for #7 before the gate drops. Less jawin and more racin'
What excuses?
Homey55
7/29/2010 1:02pm
Maybe a little off-topic but somewhat related to the interview but...what if the US Open and Super X were combined? Would that not bring in the riders and manufacturers? Is the logistics of combining 2 events too much? Is there a conflict of sponsors?

Just a thought.
Rooster
7/29/2010 1:30pm
kongols wrote:
[img]http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT022vK4tUXlhhbnpKZgfdDHGEcpk0O4OdLMJ75f6R33T98Dwo&t=1&usg=__PK7i0u-buxz_L6xFQoDcvytoi2Y=[/img]
Uhm......

That's a little freaky.

FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4254th
7/29/2010 1:43pm
Homey55 wrote:
Maybe a little off-topic but somewhat related to the interview but...what if the US Open and Super X were combined? Would that not bring in the...
Maybe a little off-topic but somewhat related to the interview but...what if the US Open and Super X were combined? Would that not bring in the riders and manufacturers? Is the logistics of combining 2 events too much? Is there a conflict of sponsors?

Just a thought.
I thought the US Open was done and gone? Not sure if Feld and ESPN can share a sandbox in any event.
Homey55
7/29/2010 2:01pm Edited Date/Time 7/29/2010 2:01pm
I thought the US Open was done and gone? Not sure if Feld and ESPN can share a sandbox in any event.
It is gone this year. It was an "off" event that all of the factories supported though. Not sure about FELD and ESPN but also not sure that FELD would need to be involved since it's a one-off event sort of like Daytona and the previous US Open events.

It would be cool to see the top guys at X since it's such a unique track and it's huge exposure for the sport. It might just draw more fans as well.
Cigaro
7/29/2010 2:17pm
Homey55 wrote:
It is gone this year. It was an "off" event that all of the factories supported though. Not sure about FELD and ESPN but also not...
It is gone this year. It was an "off" event that all of the factories supported though. Not sure about FELD and ESPN but also not sure that FELD would need to be involved since it's a one-off event sort of like Daytona and the previous US Open events.

It would be cool to see the top guys at X since it's such a unique track and it's huge exposure for the sport. It might just draw more fans as well.
I really don't see how you can call Daytona as a one off race. Points count for both the Supercross and East Lites classes towards the series at that race. Unless you mean the track is one off since it's more like a Nat.

U.S. Open,yes it's a one off race since basically it's for cash and not points for the season.

Post a reply to: James Stewart Speaks

The Latest