GoPro IPO?

superorbital
Edited Date/Time 10/8/2015 8:47am
I know this isn't strictly moto, but I use my GoPro for moto all the time. I got an email from GoPro this morning about their IPO. I am sure a bunch more of you got it. Is anyone going to invest? I really have no idea what to think about this. That would be pretty cool to get in on an IPO, especially one like GoPro.
|
IceMan446
6/11/2014 8:13am
I would love to do it. They have been private for so long.

I wonder what they would open at?
BIGRIGGIN
6/11/2014 8:17am
I got the same email this morning. Pretty cool they are inviting their users to get in on the IPO. Here's the content:

To: Everyone Who Helped Us Get Here
We dream. We all have passionate ideas about what’s possible in this world.
GoPro helps people capture and share their lives, their passions. Like how a day on the mountain with friends is better than one spent alone, the sharing of collective experiences makes our lives more meaningful, more fun.

To all of you who share this sentiment and are fans of GoPro, at our request, the underwriters of our initial public offering have reserved up to 1.5% of the Class A common stock to be offered through the LOYAL3 platform, at the initial public offering price.

The LOYAL3 Social IPO™ Platform is designed to democratize IPO participation, making it easy and affordable for large numbers of people to purchase shares in our IPO at the same price, and at the same time, as institutions and other large investors. LOYAL3 Platform participation is on a first-come, first-served basis.

Individuals can elect to purchase shares in our IPO through LOYAL3 in amounts ranging from $100-$10,000, with no transaction fees. Should you choose to forward this email to your partners, employees and friends, you must do so without changes, in precisely this form (only by email, so hyperlink to the preliminary prospectus is active, and only to U.S. residents).

For more information, or to view a preliminary prospectus and to enroll, click: GoPro IPO through the LOYAL3 Platform.

While with most IPOs "friends and family" are defined as a few select people, with our IPO, you're all our friends and family.

None of the magic of GoPro happens without you, our passionate customers and fans…and we thank you!

Thank you.
Nick Woodman, CEO

The Shop

MotoMalyDad
6/11/2014 8:25am
Ah ... I remember a little company called Ebay. Got the same sort of email and we went on vacation, spaced on it when we got back... Sick
smeg
6/11/2014 8:35am
Not too sure what to think about this stock. There appears to be competitors that are coming on the market, so I'm thinking go pros marketshare will drop.

But then again.........
IceMan446
6/11/2014 8:39am
It says its opening at an estimated 21-24 a share.
hvaughn88
6/11/2014 8:45am
I'm very on the fence about this one. My head is telling me it's on the way out. But my gut is telling me otherwise. Usually, I am pretty clear cut on my viewpoints on IPOs (even if I turn out to be wrong) but I'm having a hard time getting a feel for this one.
IceMan446
6/11/2014 8:49am
hvaughn88 wrote:
I'm very on the fence about this one. My head is telling me it's on the way out. But my gut is telling me otherwise. Usually...
I'm very on the fence about this one. My head is telling me it's on the way out. But my gut is telling me otherwise. Usually, I am pretty clear cut on my viewpoints on IPOs (even if I turn out to be wrong) but I'm having a hard time getting a feel for this one.
I am also now that I took a step back to think about it. I was ready but I am waiting now.

But when I think about it, I dont see another camera out there that can even come close to the gopro.

I do think they waited a little too long to open it up but that's just my opinion.
casper
6/11/2014 8:49am
Vonage did the same thing, offered shares to their customers. IPO'd at 15 and went straight down, but that was 2006.
hvaughn88
6/11/2014 8:57am
hvaughn88 wrote:
I'm very on the fence about this one. My head is telling me it's on the way out. But my gut is telling me otherwise. Usually...
IceMan446 wrote:
I am also now that I took a step back to think about it. I was ready but I am waiting now. But when I think...
I am also now that I took a step back to think about it. I was ready but I am waiting now.

But when I think about it, I dont see another camera out there that can even come close to the gopro.

I do think they waited a little too long to open it up but that's just my opinion.
I wasn't real pumped when I went through their prospectus and read that a portion of the proceeds were going to fully repay a loan. But without being privy to the details of the loan, it's like I have just enough information to be "recklessly knowledgeable" if you know what I mean.
zehn
6/11/2014 9:04am
smeg wrote:
Not too sure what to think about this stock. There appears to be competitors that are coming on the market, so I'm thinking go pros marketshare...
Not too sure what to think about this stock. There appears to be competitors that are coming on the market, so I'm thinking go pros marketshare will drop.

But then again.........
There will always be competitors,
mauidex
6/11/2014 9:29am
facebook....................back now but ugly for awhile.................lots of issues when a private company goes public............anotrher seemimgly no brainer.....................skullcandy...............opened around 25 - 30 2011...........8 bux now...............this could go either way...........
hvaughn88
6/11/2014 9:44am
Any of you guys have any first hand experience with IPOs underwritten by Piper & Jaffray? They have seemed to be more focused on the medical side of IPOs.
6/11/2014 9:58am
smeg wrote:
Not too sure what to think about this stock. There appears to be competitors that are coming on the market, so I'm thinking go pros marketshare...

But then again.........
Not only are their competitors, but its become quite contentious between GoPro and its customer base. Real poor customer service.

BUT.... there ain't a competitor out there that can touch GoPro's brand strength.

I know nothing about IPOs. Core Google fans are constantly pissed off at Google and it didn't hurt their IPO.
RangerLee
6/11/2014 9:58am Edited Date/Time 6/11/2014 10:01am
Before you considering investing you should ask yourself, is this a company you would use and approve of? For example, would I invest in WalMart? No, as I do not approve of much of its business practice and therefore I do not shop there.

Gopro, they are doing many thing right, and as far as I have read on it's business practices it is a good company.

What are they doing right? They are not focusing on sports, or just extreme sports. This is one of the factors that hurt Contour and other competitors are following. GoPro has a great presence in sports, and action sports in particular, but you also see people doing world travels with their GoPro and that is what they are doing really well. Marketing it really well where people whom would not normally look at purchasing one do go out and buy.

They have a really good sales and lobby group which has enabled GoPro to be the sole provider of first person camera shots in several pro series, including Supercross.

As I deal with money, capital investments along with budgets I get to spend time researching many things. Mostly for the Pharma industry as it is for work, however this was fun to look at, and I plan on getting in on the IPO.

Note, I am not a GoPro sales man, I actually own a contour as it was what we used in the Army attached to our helmets while on operations and works for my laserskirmish business.

EDIT: 24 a share is my line, any higher and I will stand back and watch for the first month.
IceMan446
6/11/2014 11:31am Edited Date/Time 6/11/2014 11:31am
RangerLee wrote:
Before you considering investing you should ask yourself, is this a company you would use and approve of? For example, would I invest in WalMart? No...
Before you considering investing you should ask yourself, is this a company you would use and approve of? For example, would I invest in WalMart? No, as I do not approve of much of its business practice and therefore I do not shop there.

Gopro, they are doing many thing right, and as far as I have read on it's business practices it is a good company.

What are they doing right? They are not focusing on sports, or just extreme sports. This is one of the factors that hurt Contour and other competitors are following. GoPro has a great presence in sports, and action sports in particular, but you also see people doing world travels with their GoPro and that is what they are doing really well. Marketing it really well where people whom would not normally look at purchasing one do go out and buy.

They have a really good sales and lobby group which has enabled GoPro to be the sole provider of first person camera shots in several pro series, including Supercross.

As I deal with money, capital investments along with budgets I get to spend time researching many things. Mostly for the Pharma industry as it is for work, however this was fun to look at, and I plan on getting in on the IPO.

Note, I am not a GoPro sales man, I actually own a contour as it was what we used in the Army attached to our helmets while on operations and works for my laserskirmish business.

EDIT: 24 a share is my line, any higher and I will stand back and watch for the first month.
They are also used quite heavily in the tv industry for the "real life" tv shows.

Anything filmed in a car is almost 90% gopro.

They are also used on action shows like american ninja warrior and shows on HGTV.

So I can see your point of not only servicing the action sports area but branching out and being able to touch multiple areas where people will spend their money on a quality product.

And I for one have never had an issue with their customer service so that's a good sign of how they run their business.

Im still on the fence but thank you for the quality insight.
CAB214
6/11/2014 11:32am
This thread reminds me of a beginner with Metal Mulisha graphics, no jersey but a chest protector and talking about how he's about to throw a fat whip over this new freestyle ramp.

My advice - Don't

IPOs are one of the riskiest investments you can make, even for a seasoned trader.
FlickitFlat
Fantasy
662nd
6/11/2014 11:49am
I didn't like the comment about paying off old loans either. That was kind of bland with no specifics. I do have to say, I have been very impressed with GoPro over the last year. I knew about them in motocross and other sports but then they started poping up on Discovery Channel and other TV spotlights when they show behind the scenes footage. That is impressive. I was also impressed a few months ago when I was in Indonesia on the remote island of Lembongan. It is popular for diving but If I had to pick a number of people I seen with GoPros it would be over 40 people.
I had borrowed a friends GoPro to film some diving, snorkeling and fishing. I was on a dive boat with a captain that spoke very little English. I was sitting there trying to figure out the settings on the GoPro because it wasn't mine and I really don't mess with them much. He looked over and said here, and took it and programmed what he thought I needed it on. I was like holy shit that he knew what he was doing. I mean, Lembongan is a very remote island with only boat access, in a country that is literally as far away from American as you can possibly get and he knew this thing like it was personal stop watch. That is the first time that it really dawned on me how much of an outreach their product has. That is amazing.

I tend to look at a company as where can they go as apposed to where have they been. As far as product market share, I see them expanding to their current client list with new features. I see them pulling out Wifi or a live video feed and they just made a new product that many of their existing customers will just have to have. Customers that are already happy with the GoPro they already have. I can see where they can move up after the IPO.
FlickitFlat
Fantasy
662nd
6/11/2014 11:52am
Would it be possible that someone can PM me so I can give them my email address to forward the letter?
harescrambled
Fantasy
1942nd
6/11/2014 11:52am
RangerLee wrote:
Before you considering investing you should ask yourself, is this a company you would use and approve of? For example, would I invest in WalMart? No...

I'll wait for the dip when the first restricted shares come into the market, then I'd consider buying. The day of the IPO though, I might buy some options.
IceMan446
6/11/2014 11:56am
Would it be possible that someone can PM me so I can give them my email address to forward the letter?
Check your inbox.
IWreckALot
6/11/2014 11:57am
I would throw a couple grand at it just to see what happens. I feel comfortable enough that I don't think i'd lose much money even if it did go down. And there is a good potential for it to go up.

My concern with GoPro is that they're close or already have peaked much like the iPhone. They're the most successfully marketed and sold product in their sector. Staying at the top long term is difficult. At some point, competitors will start differentiating and the GoPro name will become more of a novelty than the primo product. Then the question becomes, can they adapt. Apple has struggled this far adapting. It just depends on GoPro's leadership which I would be willing to gamble on.
harescrambled
Fantasy
1942nd
6/11/2014 12:01pm
hvaughn88 wrote:
IceMan446 wrote:
I am also now that I took a step back to think about it. I was ready but I am waiting now. But when I think...

hvaughn88 wrote:
I wasn't real pumped when I went through their prospectus and read that a portion of the proceeds were going to fully repay a loan. But...
I wasn't real pumped when I went through their prospectus and read that a portion of the proceeds were going to fully repay a loan. But without being privy to the details of the loan, it's like I have just enough information to be "recklessly knowledgeable" if you know what I mean.
That's one of the reasons to become a publicly traded company...to obtain funding to retire debt. Not really an issue as far as I'm concerned. Now if the prospectus says part would go to repay a loan in full, and they didn't pay the loan off, then I'd be concerned. I also think that the P/E the price point represents is too high. P/E will be around 43 at $21 per share, and in my opinion, a P/E of 20-30 (or less) would be more appropriate until GoPro proves they will continue to grow their market share.
RM127
6/11/2014 1:05pm
All I can say is I wish I jumped on Bitcoin when I first thought about it in 2010!
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
6/11/2014 2:36pm
I was thinking about getting in on it at the start. Make some cash, Sell early before it drops. You gotta imagine they want to go public to boost the companies value, then sell in a few years.
superorbital
6/11/2014 3:29pm
I keep going back and forth. I buy it and it tanks or I don't and it sky rockets. What do I do?
EZZA 95B
Fantasy
1154th
6/11/2014 3:36pm
disbanded wrote:
Put me down for 100,000.
Can you spot me another $150,000 actually $100,000 will do... I don't want to be too greedy. I'll pay you back.
Knapton
6/11/2014 3:38pm
Can someone kinda explain to me what an IPO is and how this all works. Im young and im completely in the dark when it comes to stocks and business except for that I know you buy a certain amount of stocks at a price and the price changes and you sell when you want. Ive always thought gopro would be a great company to invest in so this is very interesting.

Post a reply to: GoPro IPO?

The Latest