First Ride In Hawaii

USMCMXer
8/27/2016 10:12pm
Finally got the wife and new baby (6 weeks old) out to the Kahuku MX track today on Oahu. We moved here in June and our stuff (bikes, furniture, truck) arrived the weekend of 9 July and kid was born 15 July. Getting out there in just over a month seems like a win to me (she's not a big MX fan). The track, and entire riding area really, was pretty impressive. Looking forward to many more rides and some racing here. The red dirt is slick and not much for ruts or big sandy berms, but an awesome layout. If you're local, hit me up.
|
cali11
8/28/2016 12:12am
I seen that track when we went to the North Shore a few months ago! What part of Oahu are you on?
USMCMXer
8/28/2016 12:26am
cali11 wrote:
I seen that track when we went to the North Shore a few months ago! What part of Oahu are you on?
I live in Kailua.
cali11
8/28/2016 1:34am
cali11 wrote:
USMCMXer wrote:
I live in Kailua.
I liked the Beach in Kailua. Went to that Sandy Beach and about died! Waves were killer there! Didn't get to ride the track, but checked it out. Very nice.
kkawboy14
8/28/2016 7:03am
Very cool! I'm gonna be in Kuaui in a month is there a track there?

The Shop

USMCMXer
8/28/2016 7:43am
kkawboy14 wrote:
There is, not sure where, but supposed to be good also.
kkawboy14
8/28/2016 9:05am
kkawboy14 wrote:
USMCMXer wrote:
Cool I'll check it out, we are staying Princeville, hitting some golf and would like to moto
8/28/2016 9:12am
kkawboy14 wrote:
USMCMXer wrote:
kkawboy14 wrote:
Cool I'll check it out, we are staying Princeville, hitting some golf and would like to moto
The track is on the way from the airport to princeville (maybe about 20 mins around the island from the airport), there is usally a sign on the side of the road and you can head down that road to check it out.
avidchimp
Fantasy
1102nd
8/28/2016 9:26am
USMCMXer wrote:
kkawboy14 wrote:
The track is on the way from the airport to princeville (maybe about 20 mins around the island from the airport), there is usally a sign...
The track is on the way from the airport to princeville (maybe about 20 mins around the island from the airport), there is usally a sign on the side of the road and you can head down that road to check it out.
It's in Lihue. Wailua MX.
Katoomey
8/28/2016 9:36am
sounds incredible...would love to ride there. hell, even just dual-sporting around the islands is probably pretty spectacular.
langhammx
Fantasy
323rd
8/28/2016 9:44am Edited Date/Time 8/28/2016 10:09am

I wasn't able to ride when I went, but I walked the track and got a few pics... The dirt is definitely slick when wet and you can see where everyone rides the same lines when it's slippery.
The single track there looked like a lot of fun, I wish I could've been able to check it out, but I was there for my dads wedding and renting bikes didn't seem like it was possible when I tried looking into it.

I'd love to be able to live on the islands, but it's not in the cards for me. I'm jealous of the laid back lifestyle, but anything other than So Cal would be a nice change in pace....
DE262
8/28/2016 10:18am Edited Date/Time 8/28/2016 10:28am
I hear that, being born/raised in Oregon, living on Kauai for 10+ years- now living in Venice CA!! big change...

The track on Kauai is directly on the South side of the Wailua golf course, across the HWY from the outdoor jail. There is usually a banner tied to the coco trees on the weekends that they race. Turn Makai(towards the ocean) off of Kuhio HWY. and follow the gravel road back to the track. It's a pretty flat racetrack depending on what you're used too. It has the usual red dirt that gets super slick when watered, and the wind is usually nuking as the track is right next to the ocean. It also borders a big resort that Hilton owns part of, they ABSOLUTELY LOVE the noise and red dust, so ride it while you can! There are also a handful of other private tracks and trail systems around, but you have to put in some time to get the proverbial golden ticket to those. Back in the day you could get away with sand riding literally on the beach out on the far Westside at Polihale, but you're risking your life now. Be respectful. Kauai has produced some pretty fast guys through the years, and there is a decent moto scene still- with some insane "underground" trials riding as well. I raced some off-road stuff with the Estrella Bros a while back, fast kids. Some fast young kids, and Chava Greenlee hauls the mail too- especially for a big boy.
mark_swart
8/28/2016 10:27am
I just moved from Hawaii to Washington last year. Had a lot of success racing there in Military Open and +30 and +40 in my two years there. It's a good scene, very tight knit and friendly. Don't expect it to be the mainland in terms of track prep, just accept it for what it is and enjoy it. They change the layout down in the valley for each race, and you race year round. They dont water, and honestly even if they did there is just no way to get the right moisture content with that weird lava clay. Its either baked dry, or its like grease on glass. As it dries, theres about a half hour window in the middle that gives of the most amazing traction you will ever experience. There is also an Oahu Military Motocross Facebook group that is very active, you should check it out! I still talk to those guys all the time.I will always remember my time there fondly.
Halo_Hound
8/28/2016 10:59am
Hey man, I'm currently here on Oahu riding/racing Kahuku. There's actually another Marine that lives near you in the class. Hit us up on the Oahu Military Motocross page.
USMCMXer
8/28/2016 11:48am
Halo_Hound wrote:
Hey man, I'm currently here on Oahu riding/racing Kahuku. There's actually another Marine that lives near you in the class. Hit us up on the Oahu...
Hey man, I'm currently here on Oahu riding/racing Kahuku. There's actually another Marine that lives near you in the class. Hit us up on the Oahu Military Motocross page.
On FB, or the Ride HMA page?
8/28/2016 11:54am Edited Date/Time 8/28/2016 11:54am
Is there any place to rent bikes. I wanted to go there one day. The Honeymoon is in october....?

Or a vital Hawaiian that would rent me a bike for a day?
mark_swart
8/28/2016 12:52pm
Halo_Hound wrote:
Hey man, I'm currently here on Oahu riding/racing Kahuku. There's actually another Marine that lives near you in the class. Hit us up on the Oahu...
USMCMXer wrote:
On FB, or the Ride HMA page?
It's a Facebook group but you should follow HMA too for updates.
crusher773
8/29/2016 9:42pm
I have a picture of that sign in our bathroom. We were literally going to the beach to get married on a Sunday and I keep passing trucks with bikes. I keep looking at her and she knows what I'm thinking and says "No we can't push off getting married until tomorrow." She got me.
dirtnapper
8/29/2016 9:49pm
Great pics looks like a cool place.

Congrats on the new baby and the chance to ride! Wink
USMCMXer
8/30/2016 1:07am
dirtnapper wrote:
Great pics looks like a cool place.

Congrats on the new baby and the chance to ride! Wink
Thanks, dirtnapper!
Electro21
Fantasy
66th
8/30/2016 3:35am Edited Date/Time 8/30/2016 3:37am
Did they ever build the riding area on Sand Island? I lived in Hawaii from 2008 to 2013 and I believe they were in the process of building. Kahuku was a pretty nice place to ride.
Halo_Hound
8/30/2016 7:23am
There's a BMX track and I think there was a minibike track
Its169
8/30/2016 7:39am
Was in Hawaii a month ago. Went and checked out Kahuku, wish they had rentals (maybe a business opportunity for some one ). The track looked awesome and worked well with the natural terrain. The track workers were really cool and we're happy to say hello and tell us about the happenings. Great to see an ems station at the track. There was lots of big bikes and also heaps of small bikes and families so it was good to see mx firmly entrenched on Oahu. A local kid on a yz 125 was ripping the bag out of it. No mx on sand island but there is a killer BMX track, rolled clay that looked very impressive. Surf, sun and shred.
sumdood
Fantasy
1333rd
8/30/2016 1:05pm
I moved to the north shore for "The rest of my life" in 1981. Lasted about 3 months. Laughing

Post a reply to: First Ride In Hawaii

The Latest