Finally bought my kid a Stacyc

Timo
Edited Date/Time 5/10/2022 1:21pm
Finally broke down and got my kid a Stacyc, he's 5 so I got the 16 inch version. Now I'm wishing these were around 30 years ago. Definitely the easiest way to learn how to ride, it took all of 2 minutes before his feet were fully on the pegs and he was zooming around the yard. That's another benefit, he can ride it around my oversized plot without bugging anyone. Overall it seems well built, but the front wheel and headset bearings were dry. I also had to add a spacer to the right side of the front axle to get the wheel centered with the frame. My wife says I'm ocd, so most people probably wouldn't notice the wheel issue, but the bearings definitely needed some attention. It's a bit pricey, but overall I'm happy with it.

|
stangkag
2/10/2022 7:20pm
I seen the first one at our local Yamaha dealership the other day. Pretty neat looking bikes, I hope they take off and bring even more kids into the sport!

Great training with less speed, sound and weight so sounds like a great product. How much are they?
Timo
2/10/2022 7:58pm
stangkag wrote:
I seen the first one at our local Yamaha dealership the other day. Pretty neat looking bikes, I hope they take off and bring even more...
I seen the first one at our local Yamaha dealership the other day. Pretty neat looking bikes, I hope they take off and bring even more kids into the sport!

Great training with less speed, sound and weight so sounds like a great product. How much are they?
The 16 inch wheel version just went through a price increase to $1050. I got a 2021 model from RM for $950.
scott_nz
Fantasy
840th
2/10/2022 8:15pm
Brought the 16 inch ktm branded one for my 3 year old for Xmas he loves it
[YM]
Fantasy
2113th
2/10/2022 11:38pm
Awesome!

The Shop

Mx391
2/11/2022 5:16am
Heck yeah! He's kinda tall for it, get him the tall bars for it. He'll be alot more comfortable
McG194
2/11/2022 5:32am
Timo wrote:
Finally broke down and got my kid a Stacyc, he's 5 so I got the 16 inch version. Now I'm wishing these were around 30 years...
Finally broke down and got my kid a Stacyc, he's 5 so I got the 16 inch version. Now I'm wishing these were around 30 years ago. Definitely the easiest way to learn how to ride, it took all of 2 minutes before his feet were fully on the pegs and he was zooming around the yard. That's another benefit, he can ride it around my oversized plot without bugging anyone. Overall it seems well built, but the front wheel and headset bearings were dry. I also had to add a spacer to the right side of the front axle to get the wheel centered with the frame. My wife says I'm ocd, so most people probably wouldn't notice the wheel issue, but the bearings definitely needed some attention. It's a bit pricey, but overall I'm happy with it.

As far as the OCD you may want to check with Stacyc, some bikes are designed with the wheels offset.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
2/11/2022 8:22am
Hell yeah. I'm a big believer in the concept. I bought my kid a Strider when he was about 2, and he never had a pair of training wheels his whole childhood. The Staycyc just moves it up to a new level.
ArmPumped
2/11/2022 9:30am
My son is a little over 1 and is obsessed with mx. I've been going into our dealer every two months to sit him on the 12" version, as soon as he can touch im bringing it home. Can't wait.
Timo
2/11/2022 9:43am
McG194 wrote:
As far as the OCD you may want to check with Stacyc, some bikes are designed with the wheels offset.
I'll send them an email, but I think it's more of a manufacturing issue with the fork jig. I worked at a bike shop for 3 years, you'd be surprised at what comes outta the China and Taiwan factories. I'm talking big name brands too, specialized, trek, giant. That's why I laugh whenever mountain bikers defend the absurd cost of high end mountain bikes.
alphado
2/11/2022 10:43am
They need to make an adult pitbike version for backyard racing.
Timo
2/11/2022 1:10pm
My only other issue so far, no kickstand. Trying out a cheapo Amazon clamp on. So far is seems fairly nice for an adjustable stand. Hoping it works out because I need one for his pedal bike as well.

[YM]
Fantasy
2113th
2/11/2022 4:48pm
Timo wrote:
My only other issue so far, no kickstand. Trying out a cheapo Amazon clamp on. So far is seems fairly nice for an adjustable stand. Hoping...
My only other issue so far, no kickstand. Trying out a cheapo Amazon clamp on. So far is seems fairly nice for an adjustable stand. Hoping it works out because I need one for his pedal bike as well.

Smart!

As someone said before, the Tall Bar Kit is a great idea. They're also a little wider.

Pegs are something to think about too.

We just got an Avid brake perch and lever and it's the first thing I would change if I had to do it again. Scrap the uncomfortable stock brake. Keep the 2mm screw from the Stacyc perch to swap with the Avid as it's longer.

Pirate421
2/11/2022 5:08pm
I bought my kid one when they first came out, dang the prices sure have come up. I think hers was like $600 a few years ago. An adult one would be awesome I used to ride that thing around the house for hours. I think I put more time on it than she did. Such an awesome bike wish they had them when I was a kid.
e-wa
2/12/2022 10:10am
Are the 12" brushless motors?
Spooner
2/12/2022 10:14am
e-wa wrote:
Are the 12" brushless motors?
No, they really don't need it either. The 16 is pretty damn fast with the brushless so the 12 would be an uncontrollable wheelie monster haha!
e-wa
2/12/2022 10:19am
Thanks for quick reply
dcg141
2/12/2022 11:29am Edited Date/Time 2/12/2022 11:36am
I got both my grandkids Stacyc's at Christmas. The 3 yo grabbed a handfull of throttle and went 10 yards and crashed..got up went about 50 yards and crashed. Kept doing that till he got it down. The 12 inch is low enough and since its quiet I guess it just not intimidating. Got to be the best training tool to get kids started. Both of them ride the wheels off those things. We all tend to take riding for granted but there a reason motorcycles and bicycles have endured, there is truly something magical about riding one. You defy gravity every time you lean over in a turn and no other vehicle gives you that sensation. Getting kids hooked on that feeling is the best thing for the future of the sport.
dcg141
2/12/2022 2:13pm
hititpind wrote:
How early (what age) do you start kids on them?
3 for sure on the 12 inch.
Brad460
Fantasy
736th
2/12/2022 2:27pm
Bought my twins the 16” a few years ago for, I think, $650. While they are decent bikes, they are NOT worth $1000+.

They are no longer a good deal whatsoever.

Timo
2/12/2022 3:11pm
Brad460 wrote:
Bought my twins the 16” a few years ago for, I think, $650. While they are decent bikes, they are NOT worth $1000+. They are no...
Bought my twins the 16” a few years ago for, I think, $650. While they are decent bikes, they are NOT worth $1000+.

They are no longer a good deal whatsoever.

Inflation will do that, I don't think any car out there is worth $50,000, but that's what you're going to spend on anything not economy sized.
svt93cobra
2/13/2022 4:43pm
Had one for my Son a few years back and he loved it but the bike had numerous issues and wasn’t reliable. StaCyc worked with us on sending new parts to try and remedy the issues but no luck. They even sent a complete new bike to try and swap parts with but still no luck. The customer service was great but the product not so much. Hopefully they’ve improved.
Timo
2/13/2022 4:48pm
svt93cobra wrote:
Had one for my Son a few years back and he loved it but the bike had numerous issues and wasn’t reliable. StaCyc worked with us...
Had one for my Son a few years back and he loved it but the bike had numerous issues and wasn’t reliable. StaCyc worked with us on sending new parts to try and remedy the issues but no luck. They even sent a complete new bike to try and swap parts with but still no luck. The customer service was great but the product not so much. Hopefully they’ve improved.
It's literally a frame, 2 wheels, coaster hub, electric motor, and throttle. What problems were you having with it? Also the motors are now brushless, if you had one with brushes that could be an issue. We have a 4x4 power wheel jeep and I may or may not have bumped the voltage up a bit. The brushes are a weak link on any motor that's pushed to it's max amp draw.
svt93cobra
2/13/2022 5:17pm
It was about 4 years ago so I’m assuming it had brushes but the main issue was it would just quit running. You might go 5 feet or 5 minutes but it would just quit. They sent a new throttle assembly and wiring harness, new batteries, new charger, etc. Nothing helped.
Timo
2/13/2022 5:23pm
svt93cobra wrote:
It was about 4 years ago so I’m assuming it had brushes but the main issue was it would just quit running. You might go 5...
It was about 4 years ago so I’m assuming it had brushes but the main issue was it would just quit running. You might go 5 feet or 5 minutes but it would just quit. They sent a new throttle assembly and wiring harness, new batteries, new charger, etc. Nothing helped.
Interesting, we're definitely not having that issue so far. Just graduated to medium speed today and he immediately went for a sand pile at a local park. Was ripping through it much better than I expected!
svt93cobra
2/13/2022 5:29pm
svt93cobra wrote:
It was about 4 years ago so I’m assuming it had brushes but the main issue was it would just quit running. You might go 5...
Timo wrote:
Interesting, we're definitely not having that issue so far. Just graduated to medium speed today and he immediately went for a sand pile at a local...
Interesting, we're definitely not having that issue so far. Just graduated to medium speed today and he immediately went for a sand pile at a local park. Was ripping through it much better than I expected!
That’s great! It was really a cool bike and my boy loved it. Guess we just got a lemon. Can’t say enough though how awesome the team at StaCyc tried to fix our issues.
2/14/2022 8:20am
ASV makes a brake lever that puts the lever closer to the childs hand, something I may be looking into.

We have a 12 brush and a 16 brushless husky and both kids love them. Im going to look into a craftsman battery mod next.
[YM]
Fantasy
2113th
2/14/2022 12:07pm
dcg141 wrote:
I got both my grandkids Stacyc's at Christmas. The 3 yo grabbed a handfull of throttle and went 10 yards and crashed..got up went about 50...
I got both my grandkids Stacyc's at Christmas. The 3 yo grabbed a handfull of throttle and went 10 yards and crashed..got up went about 50 yards and crashed. Kept doing that till he got it down. The 12 inch is low enough and since its quiet I guess it just not intimidating. Got to be the best training tool to get kids started. Both of them ride the wheels off those things. We all tend to take riding for granted but there a reason motorcycles and bicycles have endured, there is truly something magical about riding one. You defy gravity every time you lean over in a turn and no other vehicle gives you that sensation. Getting kids hooked on that feeling is the best thing for the future of the sport.
That's a great point. That feeling is magical.

Timo, can you post a link to that kickstand?
Timo
2/14/2022 7:16pm
dcg141 wrote:
I got both my grandkids Stacyc's at Christmas. The 3 yo grabbed a handfull of throttle and went 10 yards and crashed..got up went about 50...
[YM] wrote:
That's a great point. That feeling is magical.

Timo, can you post a link to that kickstand?

Post a reply to: Finally bought my kid a Stacyc

The Latest