Dungey Clarifies GP Comments

FlaNard
Edited Date/Time 8/28/2015 4:46pm
http://racerxonline.com/2015/08/26/dungey-clarifies-gp-comments

Here you go ya goddamn babies.

During the post-race press conference at the Ironman National over the weekend, Red Bull KTM's Ryan Dungey stepped into the hornet's nest. A reporter (not from Racer X—press conferences are open to all media) asked Dungey if he'd ever have an interest in racing GPs like Ryan Villopoto did? Below is Dungey’s response:

"I thought about it until I seen Villo’s [Ryan Villopoto], just how everything worked out in that aspect. Not to mention, not to disrespect the MXGP guys, but those tracks over there just look terrible. There’s been a lot of races where it looked good, but then there’s a lot of races where I don’t even really think it’s really racing. It looks really hard-pack. It doesn’t look like a racetrack in my eyes. I think over here in America the competition is higher, tougher. So I won’t ever probably do that in my lifetime."

Since every opinion on U.S. racing versus the Grand Prix scene blows up, you can be assured Dungey started getting heat for his comment. Dungey contacted us today via text to explain what he meant.

"I didn't mean any disrespect to GP riders. I just meant the competition here, for me, keeps getting higher and tougher. It's way harder this year than it was in 2010. My comment had nothing to do with the level of competition in the GPs. I just meant that I have enough of a challenge over here so that's what I'm keeping my focus on."

In other words, Dungey isn't in need of a new challenge, he's got his hands more than full trying to win titles over here. Dungey also wants to let it be known he's not ducking competition by not racing the USGP at Glen Helen or the Motocross of Nations (where he's tied for the longest tenure of service for Team USA with six-straight appearances). He's looking for a break so he doesn't burn out. Remember, the hype will be at a fever pitch for Anaheim 1, and the riders Dungey will have to battle for another supercross title—Roczen, Canard, Tomac, Reed, Stewart, Anderson, Seely, Baggett, and on—also aren't racing the des Nations. Justin Barcia is, but he missed nearly three months of racing this year with injury, and also didn't race des Nations last year. If Ryan's title competition is getting a September rest, he wants to, finally, as well.

Can't we all just get along?
|
jeffro503
8/26/2015 8:56am
Watch some of the Brit's pop in here and call total bullshit. It gets so fucking tiresome on here at times.
RG1
8/26/2015 8:57am
I call total bullshit

The Shop

sybro
8/26/2015 9:35am

oh shooot,,, i'm not Brit sorry,

taking it back
GrapeApe
Fantasy
760th
8/26/2015 9:38am
Our ole' chum Jose Juan Carlos Espana should be along soon to call bollocks
4merRacer
8/26/2015 9:42am
GPs and Des Nations are more a euro thing... Dungey cares about the American championships. Much more important to his career. He is going to surprise people with the records he breaks in SX and MX.
peelout
8/26/2015 9:42am Edited Date/Time 8/26/2015 10:19am
i love how pussified the world has become. who gives a shit if he thinks Febvre is a slow communist fuck or that the GP tracks are worse than the morning after an all-you-can-eat jalapeno poppers night at the mexican restaurant, it's his perogative.

anybody that got offended by anything he said or did should put on their Matlock dvd's and take up knitting
jeffro503
8/26/2015 9:49am
GrapeApe wrote:
Our ole' chum Jose Juan Carlos Espana should be along soon to call bollocks
What do you mean ol' chum? Laughing I'm sure him and old Phil-me-crakin' will be here shortly to explain what Dungey " really " said. It's their sole purpose. And then go off on some tangent about how Geoff is completely right about everything. They can't stand anything American , and yet they hang out on an American MX forum letting everyone know , day in and day out.
RG1
8/26/2015 9:52am
I kind of agree Peelout, I bet most of the guys racing GP's either took it with a pinch of salt, or just don't give a shit what Dungey said.

Its kind of embarrassing that he felt like he had to make another statement on this
Grieby54
8/26/2015 9:56am
peelout wrote:
i love how pussified the world has become. who gives a shit if he thinks Febvre is a slow communist fuck or that the GP tracks...
i love how pussified the world has become. who gives a shit if he thinks Febvre is a slow communist fuck or that the GP tracks are worse than the morning after an all-you-can-eat jalapeno poppers night at the mexican restaurant, it's his perogative.

anybody that got offended by anything he said or did should put on their Matlock dvd's and take up knitting
I wish there was a like button on here. I'd press it repeatedly for this post even if it didn't give it extra likes.
disbanded
Fantasy
1734th
8/26/2015 9:57am
peelout wrote:
i love how pussified the world has become. who gives a shit if he thinks Febvre is a slow communist fuck or that the GP tracks...

Amen brother
TDeath21
8/26/2015 9:58am
He's backpeddaling now. Although I didn't agree with some comments he made, it was great to see him speak his mind in an interview. He should have just stuck to his guns.
GrapeApe
Fantasy
760th
8/26/2015 10:01am
peelout wrote:

I would have gone with Murder She Wrote, but otherwise, yeah . . .
mauidex
8/26/2015 10:08am
peelout wrote:

NO SHIT HUH!!!!!

X 100000000000000 Peely

the PC shit is really starting to get old
8/26/2015 10:14am
He said what was on his mind few days ago and now he feels a need to clarify because internet people talking shit about it ? I'm with peelout here too.
peelout
8/26/2015 10:19am
peelout wrote:

GrapeApe wrote:
i changed it from MSW to Matlock, mainly because the old women love that white haired motherfucker, ever watched "Better Call Saul"
VET74
8/26/2015 10:22am
peelout wrote:

Truth...
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
8/26/2015 10:24am
peelout wrote:

Someone has it figured out.
kongols
8/26/2015 10:25am
peelout wrote:

LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughing
GrapeApe
Fantasy
760th
8/26/2015 10:28am
peelout wrote:

GrapeApe wrote:
peelout wrote:
i changed it from MSW to Matlock, mainly because the old women love that white haired motherfucker, ever watched "Better Call Saul"
Better Call Saul? I haven't finished Breaking Bad yet. One of these years.

Mike Douglas is also popular with the ladies . . .

8/26/2015 10:29am
As above; I didn't agree with what he originally said either but he's entitled to an opinion just like anyone else.
toroP
8/26/2015 10:33am Edited Date/Time 8/26/2015 10:34am
peelout wrote:

Dude, I watch my Matlock on VHS.
mauidex
8/26/2015 10:33am
any of you guys remember a Hannah interview from back when he was about Dungey level here???

was something like " I hate europe, I hate the tracks in Europe, I hate the people in Europe, I hate the food in Europe........." WoohooWoohoo
8/26/2015 10:36am
Would have been amusing if he went even stronger on the comments rather than back peddling, here is what I REALLY think. Everyone has their opinion and no ones opinion is fact.

Post a reply to: Dungey Clarifies GP Comments

The Latest