Custom Paint Pics, Time for a New One

Edited Date/Time 9/6/2014 11:43am
It's been a while since we've had a custom helmet paint thread, and I've come across some new paintjobs. Anyone have anything new they want to post up?
My favorite painter right now is Brett King... the stuff he is doing is just mega-clean, sharp, and pops without saying LOOK AT ME! I really wish that Troy was still painting helmets himself, but alas I think the stuff coming out of the TLD studio is kinda yesterday's news.



























|
9/2/2014 2:52pm
Alonso's F1 helmet is my favorite paintjob out there right now. Jens Munser paints it, and while I like a lot of the stuff that comes out of the studio, he tends to incorporate a lot of vinyl, such as with Sebs helmets.
radialone
Posts
254
Joined
10/12/2010
Location
Yorba Linda, CA, USA
9/2/2014 3:34pm
I too really dig Brett King's work....super clean and racey. I had also considered Censport when I was driving karts. You might want to check them out if you haven't already.
9/2/2014 4:23pm
Love custom painted helmets. When I was around 14 or 15 years old I wrote about three or four helmet painters asking them what types of paint they used. No one answered me other than Troy Lee who hand wrote a quick note telling me what they use. I always appreciated that.
rrjr
Posts
1133
Joined
11/1/2012
Location
USA
9/2/2014 4:33pm Edited Date/Time 9/2/2014 4:34pm
By no means am I a professional painter. Here's a couple of pics of my 1st attempt at helmet painting. After I finished I realized all my hard work was going to get covered up by a goggle strap.

 photo P1140595_zps3c6e2eee.jpg

 photo P1140594_zps47f4650c.jpg

 photo P1140593_zpsc04847fd.jpg

 photo P1140592_zps2d8f727e.jpg

The Shop

9/2/2014 4:42pm
Ha you did a pretty good job making the characters look accurate. Lil more planning would have been good thoug :D
RMT
Posts
1269
Joined
8/16/2006
Location
Chicagoland, IL, USA
9/2/2014 5:06pm
Ive been following Brett Kings designs for awhile after seeing some at the kart track. Very nice and just different enough to be really cool.
look out below
Posts
4208
Joined
12/23/2009
Location
Grain Valley, MO, USA
9/2/2014 5:18pm
rrjr--You need Mr Hankey on there too, and maybe the slave.
bish153
Posts
440
Joined
11/28/2010
Location
Frisco, TX, USA
9/2/2014 8:55pm
Alonso's F1 helmet is my favorite paintjob out there right now. Jens Munser paints it, and while I like a lot of the stuff that comes...
Alonso's F1 helmet is my favorite paintjob out there right now. Jens Munser paints it, and while I like a lot of the stuff that comes out of the studio, he tends to incorporate a lot of vinyl, such as with Sebs helmets.
JMD is a step above, and I believe the red bull helmet the op posted is a JMD paint job also.
Spydee
Posts
1995
Joined
12/18/2013
Location
Wales, GB
9/3/2014 12:12am
JLF Designs

(Lewis Hamilton)
FIREfish148
Posts
5488
Joined
1/20/2009
Location
Kirkland, WA, USA
9/3/2014 1:53am
The South Park helmets are raaaddd
9/3/2014 5:03am
Alonso's F1 helmet is my favorite paintjob out there right now. Jens Munser paints it, and while I like a lot of the stuff that comes...
Alonso's F1 helmet is my favorite paintjob out there right now. Jens Munser paints it, and while I like a lot of the stuff that comes out of the studio, he tends to incorporate a lot of vinyl, such as with Sebs helmets.
bish153 wrote:
JMD is a step above, and I believe the red bull helmet the op posted is a JMD paint job also.
Ya it is a JMD helmet... lots of people seem to knock the fact that he uses a lot of printed media in his designs, say he's not really painting, but I challenge them to make something even 10% as good as his end result! All of JMD's helmets are sick, especially his Seb series.
9/3/2014 5:56am




Here is my BK designs Bell





Here is my Tag Designs Shoei

JLK
Crush
Posts
21153
Joined
4/26/2009
Location
Sydney, AU
9/3/2014 6:03am
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2014/09/03/64107/s1200_image.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2014/09/03/64108/s1200_image.jpg[/img] Here is my BK designs Bell [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2014/09/03/64109/s1200_image.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2014/09/03/64110/s1200_image.jpg[/img] Here is my Tag Designs Shoei JLK




Here is my BK designs Bell





Here is my Tag Designs Shoei

JLK
Wow, that first one is fucking dope!
MOTO120
Posts
1375
Joined
3/21/2010
Location
MOTO, IL, USA
9/3/2014 6:11am Edited Date/Time 9/3/2014 6:11am
Crush wrote:
Wow, that first one is fucking dope!
AGREE! Best looking lid I've seen in a long time
9/3/2014 6:23am
VMX,
I don't usually post but I wanted to share. Thank you for the kind words and I'm glad you like it.
Working with both companies was vastly different.
Tag was extremely friendly and grounded. Very fast and kept me informed on how long the process would take.
Brett is also a nice guy. I did call at about 8 months wondering when it would be completed.
Total time was 9 months at BK designs.
Thanks for posting those sweet lids guys, let's keep it going!

JLK
9/3/2014 6:40am
Spydee wrote:
JLF Designs (Lewis Hamilton) [img]http://images.planetf1.com/13/03/800x600/Lewis-Hamilton-Mercedes-Helmet_2914655.jpg[/img]
JLF Designs

(Lewis Hamilton)
he definitley has skills, a friend of mine when i first started racing had a helmet done with a pic from terminator2 arnie or the harley on the back and it was an amazing job
9/3/2014 7:03am
Crush wrote:
Wow, that first one is fucking dope!
MOTO120 wrote:
AGREE! Best looking lid I've seen in a long time
It's another Brett ing helmet. I'ma telling ya, King does amazing work. There are some awesome youtube videos about him.
9/3/2014 7:06am
VMX, I don't usually post but I wanted to share. Thank you for the kind words and I'm glad you like it. Working with both companies...
VMX,
I don't usually post but I wanted to share. Thank you for the kind words and I'm glad you like it.
Working with both companies was vastly different.
Tag was extremely friendly and grounded. Very fast and kept me informed on how long the process would take.
Brett is also a nice guy. I did call at about 8 months wondering when it would be completed.
Total time was 9 months at BK designs.
Thanks for posting those sweet lids guys, let's keep it going!

JLK
8 months? Holy shitballs that's a long time.

Although his list of priorities goes like this:

ALL F1 DRIVERS
Jason
KGAspeed
Posts
576
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
Salt Lake City, UT, USA
9/3/2014 7:59am
I used to paint helmets quite a bit, and was lucky enough to paint & design for M2R helmets for a few years (with replicas reproduced). They also asked me to paint a MXoN helmet for Brett Metcalfe which was pretty cool.

Brett King is what Troy Lee used to be. I'm sure Troy has shifted his focus to the overall business and not painting (at least not as much I would assume). But King's style is phenomenal - very tight and refined; whereas Tagger, while he may be talented, I don't appreciate his loose style nearly as much.

I loved painting helmets. Hours and hours and hours go into each one, especially when your "style" involves a more clean, race-oriented look (which means a boatload of masking).












dirtjumpcycle
Posts
222
Joined
7/18/2013
Location
Huntsville, AL, USA
9/3/2014 8:06am
I painted a sweet ninja turtle themed helmet for my son. I was going to put up the picks on here, but then the garage it was in burnt to the ground (along with his bike). Maybe I'll try it again in the future. It was definitely a bummer.
9/3/2014 10:37am
A designer I've been emailing with did an entire series of illustrations based on popular helmet designs...here is the fernando alonso one, followed by the helmet it was inspired by



avidchimp
Posts
5864
Joined
7/9/2008
Location
EGL, MN, USA
9/3/2014 10:41am
KGAspeed wrote:
I used to paint helmets quite a bit, and was lucky enough to paint & design for M2R helmets for a few years (with replicas reproduced)...
I used to paint helmets quite a bit, and was lucky enough to paint & design for M2R helmets for a few years (with replicas reproduced). They also asked me to paint a MXoN helmet for Brett Metcalfe which was pretty cool.

Brett King is what Troy Lee used to be. I'm sure Troy has shifted his focus to the overall business and not painting (at least not as much I would assume). But King's style is phenomenal - very tight and refined; whereas Tagger, while he may be talented, I don't appreciate his loose style nearly as much.

I loved painting helmets. Hours and hours and hours go into each one, especially when your "style" involves a more clean, race-oriented look (which means a boatload of masking).












Nice work Dood. I want that Arai, so pretty.
9/3/2014 11:00am
Here is a helmet design by the TLD guys that I am turinng into a half-chestpiece tatto...I'm gonna mesh all of these elements into a mural going from my left pec across my left shoulder.











Deetsmx
Posts
888
Joined
4/21/2008
Location
Visalia, CA, USA
9/3/2014 11:02am
Got this one done last year by a local guy.








9/3/2014 11:02am
KGAspeed wrote:
I used to paint helmets quite a bit, and was lucky enough to paint & design for M2R helmets for a few years (with replicas reproduced)...
I used to paint helmets quite a bit, and was lucky enough to paint & design for M2R helmets for a few years (with replicas reproduced). They also asked me to paint a MXoN helmet for Brett Metcalfe which was pretty cool.

Brett King is what Troy Lee used to be. I'm sure Troy has shifted his focus to the overall business and not painting (at least not as much I would assume). But King's style is phenomenal - very tight and refined; whereas Tagger, while he may be talented, I don't appreciate his loose style nearly as much.

I loved painting helmets. Hours and hours and hours go into each one, especially when your "style" involves a more clean, race-oriented look (which means a boatload of masking).












I agree with your statement that Brett King is the new Troy Lee... he even says in a youtube video that he just kindof lucked into it, and before he realized it he was oing f1 helmets. Seems to be a really cool guy.

I checked out one of the designers someone mentioned up at the top and their stuff it hot shit too!

Post a reply to: Custom Paint Pics, Time for a New One

The Latest