Compact Tractor Track Maintenance?

JB 19
Edited Date/Time 9/25/2021 7:04am
Anyone own one or have experience with one? People say they are much more versatile than skid steers. And about half the price....and a third of the price of a compact track loader.

You can buy a new one with a front loader and box blade for about 22,000. Seems like it would be great for light track prep.

|
Pirate421
3/31/2016 2:05pm
There is one at the little local track that I ride at. I helped water and do track maintenance for a bit. If the dirt is loamy, it will probably be ok. We have clay here and try to disc with it and rebuild jumps and it's tricky sometimes . The bucket and box blade don't seem to be very easy to bring new dirt and shape takeoffs and landings. It can be done if you are good with the bucket and have time and it's better than shovels which is futile at best.
Jrewing
3/31/2016 2:42pm
Good post.. What is the best all round budget light track maintenance machine?
sgrimmxdad
Fantasy
1936th
3/31/2016 2:44pm
I have both for our track. For just track prep and filling in ruts, the tractor is fine. Building jumps or moving any real amount of dirt is not for the tractor. It just isn't made for it, that is when the bobcat shines! I was just talking with a service manager when I had my Mihandra serviced, he said the biggest problem with them is people thinking they are bobcats lol!!!
Racerx930
3/31/2016 2:46pm

We have an old 100 horse Massey that I use to chisel and disk our place.

I purchased a cat d3b to built it but sold it and bought a cat 277c track skid steer to maintain.

I also have an old 1986 International s1900 that we custom built the watering system on, works great.

The Shop

OldYZRider1
3/31/2016 3:06pm
Not big enough in my opinion. I think you'd need to be looking at the least a 85 HP loader tractor and above 100 HP would probably be better. You need something with a powershift transmission and forward/reverse shuttle shift (no manual transmission) and a factory loader (not aftermarket, no electro-hydraulic controls) if you want to do some quick and more serious work. A small compact may be ok if you think your only going to dress up things but you'll inevitably try to build a jump with it and it just won't be a strong enough machine to do it and you could actually tweak the loader trying.

I used a JD 6420 and a Case MX100 (100HP units) to build my track and while I made do, a dozer would have probably been an even better choice for some of it. But these tractors are big enough to shuttle loader buckets of material if you need that. I had some good clay soil on-site but not right by where I wanted some of my jumps, so I had to do a fair bit of digging and shuttling of material. With a full bucket of material they've got enough weight on the front axle to pack in the jumps so they're not loose and breaking down quickly. A rear blade has little value except for the counterbalancing weight they can add and can hinder your ability to form jump ramps as they can dig into the ground behind you. I use a chisel plow and culti-mulcher to break up and re-level the surface.

I have a construction company and also have a compact track loader but find limited use for it at my track. It's pretty good for trimming out jumps as their bucket can be a little easier to control than a tractor loader bucket but a tractor with good hydraulics and a good loader control is almost as good and more versatile all around. My track sits on a hillside so I'm sometimes faced with erosion problems which often require substantial track rework. This requires time that takes away from riding time, so is another reason to consider a higher end machine.
hillbilly
3/31/2016 3:14pm
When building a track i used a 2 or 3 bottom turning plow to rip the dirt then used my loader to move it into jumps.

If you start hammering that bucket into unripped soil the fatigue cracks will start appearing because it bends the arms and twists then.

But,my rip and scoop method works,i can move a lot of dirt quickly.
hillbilly
3/31/2016 3:18pm
One more thing,a hydraulic toplink is a must. With a plow or anything on the 3 point hitch when you start packing jump faces that implement will dig in as your front wheels go up the face.

The hydro top link lets you raise it up to a steep angle for clearance.
NotCore
3/31/2016 3:23pm
Not even close.

I've got a Kioti CK20 with loader. 20hp diesel 4x4 tractor. Great for jobs around my 5 ac property. Hydrostatic transmission makes it fun to drive. Bulletproof so far. Had it since about 2005. Make great mtn bike trails and jumps in my woods. Also used the box blade to drag woods courses for the 50cc mini bikes. Not even close to what is needed for a real track.

Minimum in my opinion for maintenance would be at least a Takeuchi TL180 class track skidsteer. 100+ hp.
Tim507
3/31/2016 3:24pm
Too small, too narrow, not enough power. The narrow aspect can get you in trouble real quick.

If you do get one - put Calcium in the tires to add weight.

I had a home track for over 20 years. Had one of these and it only ever pulled a harrow around the track.

Went from a pony motor start dozer to a high track D6 and a skid steer with tracks
hillbilly
3/31/2016 3:31pm
I put my tractor places a skidsteer would flip over backwards.

You do gotta know how to carry your weight though.

Mine is a international 795 or 695,cant recall,its pretty big,4wd.
Trav138
3/31/2016 3:49pm
i have a 50 hp Kubota that i use on my farm for loader work and maintence, brush hogging, pounding posts, raking hay and just about every thing i throw at it. I use the loader to move dirt around on track and disc its 4x4. If your looking at tractors up to 50hp Kubota is what i would buy, i bought mine in 2003 and i compared them all. Lots of plastic on some big brands, hood, fenders, just made cheap. Kubota all steel and so easy to operate, their pricey but worth every penny.
yzaddict106
Fantasy
2441st
3/31/2016 3:58pm
Racerx930 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/03/31/129984/s1200_prepit2.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/03/31/129985/s1200_prepit1.jpg[/img] Current conditions.

Current conditions.
What track is this?
Tracktor
3/31/2016 4:09pm
I use a 30 horse Branson for day to day maintenance and it works just fine. 3/4 mile long track with rolling hills. I also have a Case 450 dozer for building. The tractor sees twice as many hours as the dozer. I have rippers, disc, box blades, mower & a water tank. Plus a few drags to smooth after ripping. On one hand I'd like to have a bigger one but it wouldn't fit in some gates around our horse pens. 30-40 horse is plenty for maintenance.........
3/31/2016 4:29pm
My uncle has that same tractor and I did muck around with it on my track a few times. It has a diff lock if you hold the brake halfway, and a hydrostatic transmission (good for going back and forth) but otherwise is a pretty poor tractor for working with dirt. The bucket is tiny, the hydraulics are very weak and the tractor isn't really heavy/powerful enough to pull rippers or a plow. If you know a little bit about hydraulics, you'd be better off with a skid steer or small excavator even. Not sure how light your track work would be but it's only really meant for really, really light farm work like picking up mulch or a small slasher etc. My uncles primary use for it was with a squeegee blade for pushing water off concrete and a carry-all for hauling crates.
JB 19
3/31/2016 4:39pm
I know tracked skids are the $hit, they are also 20,000$ for one that is beat down with a worn out under carriage. I've also wondered about the big heavy wheeled skids with tracks over the wheels. More in the range of 75hp and 8000 pounds. Skids are also fun to drive, but you are limited with soil prep. I guess having an old tractor to pull a chisel and disc wouldn't be bad. Was just thinking of one machine to fix jumps up and prep turns for a day of riding.
david225
3/31/2016 5:08pm
Pirate421 wrote:
There is one at the little local track that I ride at. I helped water and do track maintenance for a bit. If the dirt is...
There is one at the little local track that I ride at. I helped water and do track maintenance for a bit. If the dirt is loamy, it will probably be ok. We have clay here and try to disc with it and rebuild jumps and it's tricky sometimes . The bucket and box blade don't seem to be very easy to bring new dirt and shape takeoffs and landings. It can be done if you are good with the bucket and have time and it's better than shovels which is futile at best.
How do you go about disking the clay based soil? I have JD 30 HP with 6 foot discs and I have a hard time breaking soil, especially when it is in the middle of summer. I'm not sure what the issue is, but I have to make multiple laps around the track before even breaking dirt up.
Pirate421
3/31/2016 5:56pm Edited Date/Time 3/31/2016 5:57pm
Pirate421 wrote:
There is one at the little local track that I ride at. I helped water and do track maintenance for a bit. If the dirt is...
david225 wrote:
How do you go about disking the clay based soil? I have JD 30 HP with 6 foot discs and I have a hard time breaking...
How do you go about disking the clay based soil? I have JD 30 HP with 6 foot discs and I have a hard time breaking soil, especially when it is in the middle of summer. I'm not sure what the issue is, but I have to make multiple laps around the track before even breaking dirt up.
They just pull a heavy disc attachment. The clay is super dry and has a bit of sand mixed in and still only get about 2-3 inches down at the most. I hate when they want to disc because it makes baseball sized marbles and the track is about un rideable. We then try to dump and much water on it as we can so it will soften up and we can ride and try and break it all up. I don't mess with the tractor because there are guys who took on that responsibility for the owner. I'm just there as water bitch and good looks so I can ride after.
JB 19
3/31/2016 5:57pm
Pirate421 wrote:
david225 wrote:
How do you go about disking the clay based soil? I have JD 30 HP with 6 foot discs and I have a hard time breaking...
A box blade has shank rippers in it that can pushed down into the soil with a 3 point hitch. That's what drew me to one of these machines.

I'll let pirate answer your question though.
moto589
3/31/2016 5:59pm
Great topic!

Anyone have any advice for buying a used bobcat with tracks? Hours, price, best years, features, what to look for?

Maybe not a bobcat but a CAT or....?
Racerx930
3/31/2016 5:59pm
Racerx930 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/03/31/129984/s1200_prepit2.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/03/31/129985/s1200_prepit1.jpg[/img] Current conditions.

Current conditions.
What track is this?
AMP, Stillwater OK
yzaddict106
Fantasy
2441st
3/31/2016 6:09pm
Racerx930 wrote:

Current conditions.
What track is this?
Racerx930 wrote:
AMP, Stillwater OK
Are you guys open tomorrow? I'm in OKC and was gonna make the drive to Okmulgee but you Stillwater is way closer.
Racerx930
3/31/2016 6:14pm
Sorry man, we're racing Sunday and I'm right in the middle of trying to get it perfect.
3/31/2016 6:56pm Edited Date/Time 3/31/2016 6:57pm
JB 19 wrote:
Anyone own one or have experience with one? People say they are much more versatile than skid steers. And about half the price....and a third of...
Anyone own one or have experience with one? People say they are much more versatile than skid steers. And about half the price....and a third of the price of a compact track loader.

You can buy a new one with a front loader and box blade for about 22,000. Seems like it would be great for light track prep.

You need one of these...you can pick them up used for the same amount of money if you look hard enough... Tak TL150. Beast...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEjdIP8UECA

Try this with that toy tractor...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IyydHlUUrQ
JB 19
3/31/2016 6:58pm
moto589 wrote:
Great topic! Anyone have any advice for buying a used bobcat with tracks? Hours, price, best years, features, what to look for? Maybe not a bobcat...
Great topic!

Anyone have any advice for buying a used bobcat with tracks? Hours, price, best years, features, what to look for?

Maybe not a bobcat but a CAT or....?
From what I have read they need tracks about every 1000hrs, complete undercarriage every 2500 or so. Stay away from Cat's first few they made. Undercarriage had issues. Engine and frame will outlast the rest of the machine. Get ready to spend about double on one vs a comparable wheeled version. Unfortunately, they hold their value pretty well. (If you're looking to buy) Brand new they are 60,000$ +- 10,000.....used 18000$ and up. 30,000 for something with a lot of life left.

This is why a long wheel base heavy wheeled machine with metal tracks sounds desirable.

I had a bobcat 751 that was basically a big shovel. No much power, traction or stability.
3/31/2016 7:03pm Edited Date/Time 3/31/2016 7:04pm
JB 19 wrote:
I know tracked skids are the $hit, they are also 20,000$ for one that is beat down with a worn out under carriage. I've also wondered...
I know tracked skids are the $hit, they are also 20,000$ for one that is beat down with a worn out under carriage. I've also wondered about the big heavy wheeled skids with tracks over the wheels. More in the range of 75hp and 8000 pounds. Skids are also fun to drive, but you are limited with soil prep. I guess having an old tractor to pull a chisel and disc wouldn't be bad. Was just thinking of one machine to fix jumps up and prep turns for a day of riding.
I picked up my Tak TL150 for $17K, and it looks beat down, but TAKs are indestructible. Rigid undercarriage. Nothing to wear out. It beats you around when you drive it, but you are in it do do work, not get massage.

After about $1200 of work on the pumps (involved machine work on the servo cylinder, and I knew what I was doing...not all people can do this), the main pump is like new, and I have a beast of a skid steer for less than $20K that will do about anything and will run for another 3000 hours. Oil analysis has been perfect after a few hundred hours.

If you really want to do something trick, build one of these for your tracked steer...oh my....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb2IMq1sKeQ

yzaddict106
Fantasy
2441st
3/31/2016 7:04pm
Racerx930 wrote:
Sorry man, we're racing Sunday and I'm right in the middle of trying to get it perfect.
No problem! Thanks for the info. Normal practice on non-race weekends?
Thelen20
3/31/2016 7:17pm Edited Date/Time 3/31/2016 7:21pm
OP, are you running a full size track or just working on something small at the house???

I been working on my home track with my 32hp kubota

Obviously with a tractor this small anything "big' i try to do takes a long time cause i have to take really really small bites. I would never suggest what i have for a full sized public track. . . But for me at the house it is perfect and affordable. Mow the yard then go build a jump . . .

My tiny slice of heaven

JB 19
3/31/2016 7:28pm
Thelen20 wrote:
OP, are you running a full size track or just working on something small at the house??? I been working on my home track with my...
OP, are you running a full size track or just working on something small at the house???

I been working on my home track with my 32hp kubota

Obviously with a tractor this small anything "big' i try to do takes a long time cause i have to take really really small bites. I would never suggest what i have for a full sized public track. . . But for me at the house it is perfect and affordable. Mow the yard then go build a jump . . .

My tiny slice of heaven

This would be minor weekday prep for less than 20 people. Not full blown race day prep for 300 riders. Basically a toy for me, my kids, and some friends to be able to ride a decent track. The track will be built with a dozer.
Racerx930
3/31/2016 7:30pm
What track is this?
Racerx930 wrote:
AMP, Stillwater OK
Are you guys open tomorrow? I'm in OKC and was gonna make the drive to Okmulgee but you Stillwater is way closer.
Yes sir, open most every weekend.

Post a reply to: Compact Tractor Track Maintenance?

The Latest