Comment from Millsaps

gjbruny
Edited Date/Time 6/2/2015 6:17am
after listening to the interview with Davi on the home page, i heard something from him about when he was supposed to return that i have heard in the past and it has me scratching my head every time i hear it.

Davi said that he hopes to be back at redbud but there is a weekend off in between then and millville and that would give him an extra 2 weeks to get into shape. i have heard this (having to get into shape mid season) many times from other riders of his caliber that may have lost a ride due to one circumstance or another.

what i don't understand is how a rider that has been off (not due to an injury) let themselves get out of shape when they are looking for a ride or could even be snatched up from a big name team as a fill-in for an injured rider at a moments notice... or something completely new like Davi is doing. does Davi (or others) have a regular job that prohibits them from training while not employed with a regular team?

i'm not fishing here or trying to start an argument.... I've always been genuinely curious as to what gets in the way for some top-flight athletes in this sport to not be in shape ESPECIALLY while trying to land a new ride.

can't imagine the kids going to the NFL combines out of shape.
|
Lone Wolf
5/29/2015 5:13pm Edited Date/Time 5/29/2015 5:16pm
I suppose it's possible he hasn't had a bike to practice on since getting the sack from Kawasaki, but I really have no idea.
gjbruny
5/29/2015 5:16pm
but a guy like Davi could build a factory bike...... i just can't fathom a guy of his caliber not having bikes of his own to train on..... for instance, have you seen his boats? he has the money for personal bikes.
gjbruny
5/29/2015 5:20pm Edited Date/Time 5/29/2015 5:23pm
i guess where i am coming from is as a business owner, if i were putting my dollars into a team and a rider, i'd be a little concerned about putting it into a rider that wasn't totally prepared to race right this second and has kept themselves in top physical condition. yes i know that the actual racing takes their conditioning to a completely different level, but i would think they would want to keep themselves at the level that they could step onto a track and race at a moments notice.

again, i'm not trolling here.... i'd love to hear something from someone in the know.

also, i'm really glad to see Davi get back into the mix. when he is on, that kid is scary fast on a dirt scooter.
500guy
5/29/2015 5:23pm
I can't think of any better way for a guy to get in shape then actually competing.

Some of these guy's have been paid millions and have no excuse for not training and riding all the time if they are serious about what place they get at a race.

The Shop

TeamGreen
5/29/2015 5:25pm
Lone Wolf wrote:
I suppose it's possible he hasn't had a bike to practice on since getting the sack from Kawasaki, but I really have no idea.
I find this very entertaining.

Go buy a Bike and Ride.

Like THE REST OF US.
Lone Wolf
5/29/2015 5:34pm
Lone Wolf wrote:
TeamGreen wrote:

Go buy a Bike and Ride.

Like THE REST OF US.
String him up then.
dehner47
5/29/2015 5:38pm Edited Date/Time 5/29/2015 5:38pm
Cause there is a difference in being in shape and being in race shape. And only one way to get in race shape..
JBernard_401
5/29/2015 5:39pm
guy has like 5 fkin jet boats. but not a bike to practice on? riiiiiiight.
gjbruny
5/29/2015 5:42pm Edited Date/Time 5/29/2015 5:43pm
well now i feel bad..... this wasn't meant to be a piss on Davi thread. he is DEFINITELY not the only rider that i have heard saying that they were going to have to get into shape mid season. the interview on the front page was with Davi so that is what prompted me to post but my question was meant to be more of a general "why or how do MX/SX athletes allow themselves to get out of shape when in the middle of searching for a team/ride?"
jeffro503
5/29/2015 5:54pm
gjbruny wrote:
well now i feel bad..... this wasn't meant to be a piss on Davi thread. he is DEFINITELY not the only rider that i have heard...
well now i feel bad..... this wasn't meant to be a piss on Davi thread. he is DEFINITELY not the only rider that i have heard saying that they were going to have to get into shape mid season. the interview on the front page was with Davi so that is what prompted me to post but my question was meant to be more of a general "why or how do MX/SX athletes allow themselves to get out of shape when in the middle of searching for a team/ride?"
It's actually a great question brother , and one that I have thought about a lot myself. I look at this from being a business owner myself. And that's if I'm willing to hire someone , he better be ready to work. He can't tell me " Hey thanks for hiring me , but now I need 4 - 6 weeks to gather all my tools and sharpen my skills before I show up for my first day of work ".

Real world stuff doesn't work like that. And what blows my mind about this even more is , a lot of these guys are millionaires , and yet they don't have a single bike to practice on? I think a lot of it has to do with them being pampered all those years and shit is just given to them for free , they just expect it.

You also have to look at it on the flip side of the coin. If they were out training their ass off and in great race shape , they probably wouldn't have to be looking for a job / ride. As far as Davi goes , I love watching the guy race for sure , but it's been rumored for years that he is one of the laziest , un-self motivated top riders out there AND is supposed to be kind of hard to work with.
Hut
5/29/2015 5:58pm
Lone Wolf wrote:
TeamGreen wrote:

Go buy a Bike and Ride.

Like THE REST OF US.
Word!
Krazyk2774
5/29/2015 5:59pm
I just think that not everybody has the level of discipline and drive combined with talent, that it takes to be the very best like RC, RV, or Dungey! I know I don't have that in me, I would be more like Millsaps, or Fro back in the day. To me life is more about having fun than being the best and dominating
Hopefully Davi sees that this might be his last chance at a championship and make the best run at the last races of the summer.
I have never been a huge fan, but it was exciting to see him do so well in Supercross. I would like to see him back in full form on a RMZ giving Roxzen, Canard, and Dungey a run for their money
racinstation
Fantasy
1912th
5/29/2015 6:10pm
I think that it speaks volumes about the kind of shape the top guys are in. These guys have to be on the razors edge all the time. Look at Roczen. He said he didn't ride for like 11 days.......11 days and he felt like he was "out of shape". I think they are running so hard that even a day or two off has an effect on them.

I also agree with the above statement that the best way to get into race shape is to race. Sometimes a guy has to start from where he is at and build. It is unlikely that anyone can come out after being off for so long and start in the top 5. I feel he would be better off the come back now and then hope to be breaking into the top 8 or 10 by Red Bud, rather than not racing and hoping to be to 5.

Flatliner
5/29/2015 6:12pm
Krazyk2774 wrote:
I just think that not everybody has the level of discipline and drive combined with talent, that it takes to be the very best like RC...
I just think that not everybody has the level of discipline and drive combined with talent, that it takes to be the very best like RC, RV, or Dungey! I know I don't have that in me, I would be more like Millsaps, or Fro back in the day. To me life is more about having fun than being the best and dominating
Hopefully Davi sees that this might be his last chance at a championship and make the best run at the last races of the summer.
I have never been a huge fan, but it was exciting to see him do so well in Supercross. I would like to see him back in full form on a RMZ giving Roxzen, Canard, and Dungey a run for their money
Fro knew how to party, but knew how to pin it wearing all black cotton gear that didn't breathe. No way he wasn't in shape.

Davi should be in shape ready to rock right now honestly.
KTMShane699
5/29/2015 6:23pm Edited Date/Time 5/29/2015 6:24pm
Krazyk2774 wrote:
I just think that not everybody has the level of discipline and drive combined with talent, that it takes to be the very best like RC...
Davi did well at the MEC. Outside of that in 2015 his results were all over the place. Hardly a solid effort that consists of "doing well." Sure, great among us mortals. But for a top level ride, I'm sure they wanted better results.

Anaheim 1 - 19th
Phoenix - 5th
Anaheim 2 - 9th
Oakland - 7th
Anaheim 3 - 11th
San Diego - 20th
Arlington - 20th
Atlanta 1 - 12th
Atlanta 2 - 11th
Daytona - 9th
Indianapolis - 5th
Detroit - 5th
St. Louis - 7th
Houston - 7th

Average finish: 10.5

Mid pack for a "top tier" rider wouldn't cut it for most bosses. Davi gets more hype than most riders, but consistently fails to deliver.

Shane
Krazyk2774
5/29/2015 6:33pm
Krazyk2774 wrote:
Davi did well at the MEC. Outside of that in 2015 his results were all over the place. Hardly a solid effort that consists of "doing...
Davi did well at the MEC. Outside of that in 2015 his results were all over the place. Hardly a solid effort that consists of "doing well." Sure, great among us mortals. But for a top level ride, I'm sure they wanted better results.

Anaheim 1 - 19th
Phoenix - 5th
Anaheim 2 - 9th
Oakland - 7th
Anaheim 3 - 11th
San Diego - 20th
Arlington - 20th
Atlanta 1 - 12th
Atlanta 2 - 11th
Daytona - 9th
Indianapolis - 5th
Detroit - 5th
St. Louis - 7th
Houston - 7th

Average finish: 10.5

Mid pack for a "top tier" rider wouldn't cut it for most bosses. Davi gets more hype than most riders, but consistently fails to deliver.

Shane
Yeah but he was second in Supercross the last 2 years before that if I'm not mistaken, that alone gets him mega respect from me! I would like to see him get back to that level, the potential is definitely there!
Crush
5/29/2015 6:41pm
I agree with the OP that it's odd....

BUT on the other hand, if you want to decipher Millsaps' interviews, you'd need Benedict Cumberbatch's wartime decoding skills, he's a mystery wrapped in a riddle and honestly whilst I love watching him ride, I find it hard to take anything he says seriously....
the_wood109
5/29/2015 6:46pm
He's been chugging water and pissing out the drugs that he hasn't yet been tested for. He's expecting a drug test when he comes back.
brimx153
5/29/2015 7:14pm
When I played rugby you had to rest after the season for at least one month. , even tho I was doing hardly any fitness , you don't lose that much . and would be fitter than most non pros. Prob is going from 85 % fittnes to 100% is a few wks / month of torture . What alot people dont know is it gets harder over the time your getting to 100% not easier. Then when u get there u just keep yourself there , Which is nt realistic unless he is racing every wk end , I'd say he is already 95 % fit , just if he waits to get 100% he can maintain that for the year , if he went in 95% he could prob only maintain that for the rest of the year . The two types of training are just so different , that's why it's so hard race yourself into shape , imo ,
gnarwhip
5/29/2015 7:23pm
It always boggles my mind that guys like Millsaps choose to have a bunch of kids in the prime of their careers, and still expect to be competitive. Yea, getting 3 hours of sleep per night and all the other stuff is gonna help you get wins. So dumb, why not wait until your career is over like MC and RC.
h&m_cycle
5/29/2015 8:19pm
gnarwhip wrote:
It always boggles my mind that guys like Millsaps choose to have a bunch of kids in the prime of their careers, and still expect to...
It always boggles my mind that guys like Millsaps choose to have a bunch of kids in the prime of their careers, and still expect to be competitive. Yea, getting 3 hours of sleep per night and all the other stuff is gonna help you get wins. So dumb, why not wait until your career is over like MC and RC.
True Love...
bigborefan
5/29/2015 8:54pm
I am not an insider by any means, but I have been around a few pros in my time. I remember one guy, not an MX rider, but a Pro motorcycle racer, and the level of entitlement he had was off the charts, Expected everything for free and everyone to kiss his ass because he had some motorcycle skills.

He think he outgrew it, he sill rides and buys his own bikes now, just rides for fun.
Crush
5/29/2015 8:54pm
gnarwhip wrote:
It always boggles my mind that guys like Millsaps choose to have a bunch of kids in the prime of their careers, and still expect to...
Have you seen Britney Millsaps?
mx5471
5/29/2015 9:10pm
Milsaps is a different guy. Got a big name. Rides good. But never good enough, on a consistent basis. He has had some bad injuries. But the reality is that he was never be a contender for anything. He's not that good. If he can get something and make more bucks. Good for him.
mxtryon231
5/29/2015 10:39pm
Some of these comments really have me laughing as I have witnessed week in and week out what these guys (40th place pitting out of a Chevy to the 3 factory Bikes under the blue canopy) put into racing.. They put everything they have into it. Davi is not out of shape as in fat of slow or anything of that nature. By out of shape he means he is not 100% dialed in on that zook to the point where he can confidently ride at a life threateningly fast (yet entertaining for you) pace just so he can finish in the top 10 somewhere and still be ridiculed by the keyboard heroes out there.
Rotaholic
5/29/2015 10:59pm
Out of shape at that level is sooo hard to understand, he would still turn up at a local meet and just wipe the floor with everyone, these guys are pros and it really comes down to that 1%
KennyT
Fantasy
233rd
5/29/2015 10:59pm Edited Date/Time 5/29/2015 11:00pm
I believe the word "lazy" and "Millsaps" have been mentioned in the past.

No excuse for him not being in shape at this point of the season. Riders come into Anaheim 1 in "race shape"

Returning from a major injury a rider needs to get himself back into shape. He was not injured was he? Who knows in this sport....he could be in traction and nobody would know about it outside of his posse
Silliker269
5/30/2015 12:21am
I know I dont get it either , some guys just dont want it as much I guess. Get a fucking bike and ride it if you want to stay in shape

Post a reply to: Comment from Millsaps

The Latest