Australian MXGP

Derpin' DJ
Posts
6418
Joined
5/27/2011
Location
Newcastle, AU
Edited Date/Time 11/10/2015 3:02pm
Sounds like it might happen at Toowoomba



|
mpy
Posts
643
Joined
8/15/2006
Location
Here or there..., FR
11/9/2015 3:08am
"... and ensure the future of the once-financially strained club." - Yeah Right.

VET176
Posts
1358
Joined
5/13/2011
Location
Brisbane, AU
11/9/2015 3:13am
Fingers crossed. It's a great track.
Aaryn234
Posts
3313
Joined
8/19/2007
Location
South Australia, SA, AU
Fantasy
11/9/2015 3:20am
Would be a great track.

But parking, room for spectators and general access could be some major issues to overcome.

The track is awesome, no doubt about that.
Crush
Posts
21138
Joined
4/26/2009
Location
Sydney, AU
11/9/2015 4:06am
Track looks epic–but I'm pretty sure if they're talking about MXGP, then they'll shit the bed when they see what GL wants...

The Shop

jemcee
Posts
12861
Joined
8/11/2008
Location
AU
11/9/2015 4:45am
I've shit myself many times around that track haha It's an incredible track!

Puts a tingle in ya misters just rolling into it place
romain524
Posts
757
Joined
1/14/2015
Location
Newport Coast, CA, USA
11/10/2015 10:28am
Sure it's a great track, certainly the best in Australia with Conondale! But the access is the issues I think.
Horsham have better installation but I don't really like this track...
500guy
Posts
12468
Joined
8/15/2006
Location
USA
11/10/2015 10:37am
I heard it was going to be built in a Speedway or something like that.
tmx860
Posts
686
Joined
3/19/2014
Location
USA
11/10/2015 12:30pm
I hope the track will be good like the Argentina track this year
11/10/2015 12:38pm
50 000 people? ... must be MOTOGP
Bearuno
Posts
5635
Joined
6/28/2014
Location
AU
11/10/2015 12:56pm Edited Date/Time 11/10/2015 1:01pm
It must be over 10 years since I last went there. Truly , a great track.

But hell, I just Google Mapped it and was stunned by how close it now is to the houses / mini 'burbs of Toowoomba. I could see why they mentioned noise barriers being a part of upgrades to the track. I wonder how much of the "struggles" the club has had are down to the onslaught of housing and the attendant problems it brings on.

Maybe it would be a great "swansong" for the track , or, end up being the real nail in the coffin that brings debt as its final killer. I hope not, but hell, I can't see the track lasting too many more years with housing being so close, and it's sure to just keep spreading. New Resident NIMBY pressure and power seems to always conquer long standing venues, of any type. And that Sucks.
11/10/2015 1:24pm
Toowoomba and the Darling Downs region, even broader to SEQLD is one of, if not the largest motorcycling region in Australia so the support for the race should be great. As Aaryn said the track lacks the facilities, namely space, to run an event this big I think. It struggles to fit an Aussie nats with just a few thousand fans. The track itself is absolutely good enough though. Bear, you would be surprised how well the topography of the track location protects neighbours from noise, its pretty quite only a few hundred meters down the road.

I would love to see the event at Conondale, it has the space, location and layout to be one of the best events on the MXGP calendar. It's the perfect blend of natural terrain grassroots MX and man made jumps/obstacles.

Crush
Posts
21138
Joined
4/26/2009
Location
Sydney, AU
11/10/2015 1:33pm
Bearuno wrote:
It must be over 10 years since I last went there. Truly , a great track. But hell, I just Google Mapped it and was stunned...
It must be over 10 years since I last went there. Truly , a great track.

But hell, I just Google Mapped it and was stunned by how close it now is to the houses / mini 'burbs of Toowoomba. I could see why they mentioned noise barriers being a part of upgrades to the track. I wonder how much of the "struggles" the club has had are down to the onslaught of housing and the attendant problems it brings on.

Maybe it would be a great "swansong" for the track , or, end up being the real nail in the coffin that brings debt as its final killer. I hope not, but hell, I can't see the track lasting too many more years with housing being so close, and it's sure to just keep spreading. New Resident NIMBY pressure and power seems to always conquer long standing venues, of any type. And that Sucks.
Yep...

I reckon that's on the horizon for Appin too... Expanding developments just over the hills...
Bearuno
Posts
5635
Joined
6/28/2014
Location
AU
11/10/2015 2:19pm
Cripes, Appin's been on the verge of closing for decades now. In the eighties our club ( that would rent it, not MacArthur itself) was forever talking about how it might be the last season for events. I'm amazed, and ever pleased that it keeps on keeping on, for as long as possible.

Pollock - yes I know how it's " over the hill / behind the trees" from the housing, but was surprised by just how built up Toowoomba now is on my map search. The second a few councilors get "back handers", I reckon a great track will be gone. Topography with relation to building blocks - hell, in my local area I've seen places I'd thought were impossible to make into housing tracts, be sculpted / flattened in just a few days. The great grandkids of D9s just eat terrain.

Connondale is great too - but, as I've written before, the real opportunity for a successful GP , that could stay within OZ for a long time , I think, is for it to be done in a major metropolitan area, in a Motorsports Complex. Shit, I might read like an advocate of Luongos bullshit.... But, A brilliant track could be done at Eastern Creek , with the chance that it could be a permanent facility right In a major metropolitan area, starved of MX tracks, and not just be a temporary track .

Whatever happens, Wherever it happens, I'll go to an OZ MXGP. It will be nice to not have to fly for a day or two to get to one. Though, the Bogan count will be far higher than in Europe.........
11/10/2015 2:47pm Edited Date/Time 11/10/2015 2:49pm
I went to the national there this year and let's just say the track prep was spot on the only concern will be parking for spectators.
Conondale would be an epic track but it may upset the vintage riders out there
Conondale has the space a great track whereas Toowoomba has the history and great track
elfrago
Posts
40
Joined
11/1/2015
Location
AU
11/10/2015 3:02pm
Definitely looks like that track would have no dramas hosting a world class round, sounds like even the mayor is keen to make things happen... fingers crossed

Post a reply to: Australian MXGP

The Latest