Amateur Racing

cjharris314
So with all the great Amateur Events going on whats is your favorite AM race and why?
|
cjharris314
3/22/2017 9:00pm
crossrut wrote:
Ponca City
I have never been Its on the list for this year . Any certain reason its your favorite?

The Shop

JMR1976
3/22/2017 9:14pm
So many seem like money grabs. I'd stick with LL's that's where the best will be. Mammoth because it's Mammoth.
MotoX85
3/22/2017 10:07pm
Amateur days at the pro nationals. Millville, Ironman, Red bud in that order. Better than any of the others imo. Plus you get to watch the pros on Saturday.
kzizok
Fantasy
2068th
3/22/2017 10:35pm Edited Date/Time 3/22/2017 10:49pm
crossrut wrote:
Ponca City
I have never been Its on the list for this year . Any certain reason its your favorite?
The majority of my favorites are no longer around. Ponca, Whitney, and World Mini's. Heck, we used to have fun at the Branson race (I am aware of a lot of the dislike). Ive never been to Mammoth but I imagine its awesome.

Not answering for Lostboy, but for me, Ponca represented a right of passage. What with all of the people, heat, and inevitable mud days. It was the premeire amatuer race in the country which also saw a lot of international participation over the years. For a long time, even with LL's around, it was the pinnacle amateur race. Additionally, at the height of bike evolution, you got to see the next years bikes in person on display. They YSR track and demo's were a blast too!

You mentioned it being back on the schedule but it is no longer in July and put on by a differnt group. A lot of people hated the NMA for various reasons, but they did have a heck of a run for a long time. So, Ponca's newest incarnation is quite a bit different, but I saw that they had very good participation numbers and heard that they did a great job. Plus, the stifiling heat is taken down a notch in October.
FWYT
3/23/2017 12:53am
The ones where me and a few friends rip around a track in the hills and see who is fastest.
Firefly47
3/23/2017 5:47am
crossrut wrote:
Ponca City
kzizok wrote:
The majority of my favorites are no longer around. Ponca, Whitney, and World Mini's. Heck, we used to have fun at the Branson race (I am...
The majority of my favorites are no longer around. Ponca, Whitney, and World Mini's. Heck, we used to have fun at the Branson race (I am aware of a lot of the dislike). Ive never been to Mammoth but I imagine its awesome.

Not answering for Lostboy, but for me, Ponca represented a right of passage. What with all of the people, heat, and inevitable mud days. It was the premeire amatuer race in the country which also saw a lot of international participation over the years. For a long time, even with LL's around, it was the pinnacle amateur race. Additionally, at the height of bike evolution, you got to see the next years bikes in person on display. They YSR track and demo's were a blast too!

You mentioned it being back on the schedule but it is no longer in July and put on by a differnt group. A lot of people hated the NMA for various reasons, but they did have a heck of a run for a long time. So, Ponca's newest incarnation is quite a bit different, but I saw that they had very good participation numbers and heard that they did a great job. Plus, the stifiling heat is taken down a notch in October.
Not to mention the brutal start at Ponca!

My favorite memories at Ponca are watching Windham on a 125 crush the field, hanging out downtown talking to the local girls, checking out the new year model bikes from OEM's, the Bogard/Carmichael battles, Pastrana racing the 80's and looking like an NBA player, catching snakes in the campground....all that stuff.

dadofagun
Fantasy
1926th
3/23/2017 5:52am Edited Date/Time 3/23/2017 5:54am
Ponca for sure. First year there for me was 78, and continued every year until 91. Then later in life with my son being there. Later on, working the event with Kenny, Lance, and the rest of the NMA gang for a number of years. Now, I attended the event with my girl just as a spectator..... I've been going there my whole life, and have experienced the event from every angle possible. Ponca is in my heart for good, hope to retire there in a few years..... truly love it there. Miss Jack as well.....
TXDirt
3/23/2017 6:26am
Ponca
Loretta's
Mammoth
Mini O's
Lake Whitney
CMC North/South
Las Vegas
Swan Pro Challenge
Mosier
c0ncEpT
3/23/2017 6:40am
Baja Brawl.

Its local so I go every year. Great time.
Rdubs19
3/23/2017 7:06am
Not a specific event, but driving through new mexico a couple weeks ago on 40 there was an absolutely mint track right on the side of the road basically in the middle of nowhere. Didn't have time to stop and investigate, but they must be doing some good races out there. Definetely gonna go back just to ride there, wish I had snapped a pic maybe somebody could identify it.
Wade221
3/23/2017 7:26am
Rdubs19 wrote:
Not a specific event, but driving through new mexico a couple weeks ago on 40 there was an absolutely mint track right on the side of...
Not a specific event, but driving through new mexico a couple weeks ago on 40 there was an absolutely mint track right on the side of the road basically in the middle of nowhere. Didn't have time to stop and investigate, but they must be doing some good races out there. Definetely gonna go back just to ride there, wish I had snapped a pic maybe somebody could identify it.
I was West bound on 40 awhile back. The one East of Albuquerque?
Braap19
3/23/2017 7:37am
I wiah everyone would quit idolizing Loretta's. Its a horrible track and a horrible event that everyone glorifies. (And yes i have been)
Rdubs19
3/23/2017 7:47am
Rdubs19 wrote:
Not a specific event, but driving through new mexico a couple weeks ago on 40 there was an absolutely mint track right on the side of...
Wade221 wrote:
Yeah I am pretty sure that's right.
Stuntman949
3/23/2017 7:52am
Sad watching the JS7 Freestone race, knowing there's no Vurb to cover it

(Moment of silence)
Mini Elsinore
3/23/2017 8:00am
Rdubs19 wrote:
Wade221 wrote:
Rdubs19 wrote:
Yeah I am pretty sure that's right.
Moriarity, NM. I almost put the truck in the ditch crane-necking...

Post a reply to: Amateur Racing

The Latest