4-stroke Motor Builders

brocsdad
Edited Date/Time 7/26/2020 3:25am
I have a friend looking to build his son a National Level Motor for his YZ 250F. The kid is injured right now and will miss Loretta’s but should be riding again soon. They had used a builder from one of the training facilities but they epoxy broke loose and trashed the motor. So needless to say they are looking for another builder.

I wanted to get some opinions of the 4-stroke builders and your experience with them. Some of the names that come to mind are listed below.
Ed Torrance
XPR Motorsports
Bundy Built
Twisted Development
Tom Zont Racing
C4MX
Terry Varner (I know his 2-stroke motors are great)

Has anyone dyno’d the GYTR setup in comparison?

Thanks in advance!
|
LumpDog841
7/22/2020 11:56am
Sorry to hear about your kid getting hurt, that's a bummer. I know someone who was really happy with the GYTR kit in his YZ250f. If it were me I would either go with Twisted or GYTR. Though I've heard all good things about the people you listed above except for Varner.
brocsdad
7/22/2020 12:50pm
LumpDog841 wrote:
Sorry to hear about your kid getting hurt, that's a bummer. I know someone who was really happy with the GYTR kit in his YZ250f. If...
Sorry to hear about your kid getting hurt, that's a bummer. I know someone who was really happy with the GYTR kit in his YZ250f. If it were me I would either go with Twisted or GYTR. Though I've heard all good things about the people you listed above except for Varner.
I have used Varner for all of my 2-stroke motors and they were fast and reliable.

What did you hear?

The Shop

brocsdad
7/22/2020 1:53pm
brocsdad wrote:
I have used Varner for all of my 2-stroke motors and they were fast and reliable.

What did you hear?

LumpDog841 wrote:
Wow!

Terry has taken a couple weeks longer with my motors in the past but nothing too crazy. I can tell you this the Tom Morgan YZ 250 runs good but it's not in the same league as Terry's YZ.

I just had a friend send their KTM 150 to Varner back in April and he turned it in a week. The dad and son both had 150's and the dad bought a KTM 350. After riding the Varner 150 he said he should have kept his 150 and had it modded. He used the same specs from the motor he just did for Jeff Emig. Alessi also sent YZ 125 motors to several builders and chose the Varner mod.

It sounds like he got behind or needs some help. I hate reading this because the guy is a 2-stroke guru.

brocsdad
7/22/2020 1:56pm Edited Date/Time 7/22/2020 1:58pm
LumpDog841 wrote:
Sorry to hear about your kid getting hurt, that's a bummer. I know someone who was really happy with the GYTR kit in his YZ250f. If...
Coincidentally my kid did get hurt but the motor is for a friend's kid. The parents kinda lean on me for advice.

They have the GYTR kit on one of the bikes now and it runs good but they are looking for a national level motor.

Moto520
7/22/2020 2:04pm Edited Date/Time 7/22/2020 2:20pm
I'm anal as hell about my bikes. I'm a big fan of and have personally used TZR Racing for several projects. Last month I had them dyno tune and create a motor for my CRF250. It's awesome!

Good people
TSCHAM101
7/22/2020 2:08pm
id use XPR or Twisted only...

I trust those dudes. And they are honest blue collar working man type of dudes.

I personally have a built yz250f from Twisted and its a really strong motor.. your kid will be able to pull holeshots on gates with 450's... As long as the kid isnt 200+lbs.. i pull holeshots in the vet class on my 250F at 200lbs, but were fat slow older have jobs and a house kind of dudes..

A national level motor will run you about 8-10K, or a big bore kit for the practice bike(about 2500-3000) which is very similar power wise to the race bike.

Twisted Development built the ClubMX engines this year, and those were by far the fastest privateer bikes on the track, id say every bit as fast as every factory bike, outside of maybe a 1-2% advantage by the Star bikes due to Yamaha Engineers.
brocsdad
7/22/2020 2:13pm Edited Date/Time 7/22/2020 2:14pm
TSCHAM101 wrote:
id use XPR or Twisted only... I trust those dudes. And they are honest blue collar working man type of dudes. I personally have a built...

I personally have a built yz250f from Twisted and its a really strong motor.. your kid will be able to pull holeshots on gates with 450's... As long as the kid isnt 200+lbs.. i pull holeshots in the vet class on my 250F at 200lbs, but were fat slow older have jobs and a house kind of dudes..

A national level motor will run you about 8-10K, or a big bore kit for the practice bike(about 2500-3000) which is very similar power wise to the race bike.

Twisted Development built the ClubMX engines this year, and those were by far the fastest privateer bikes on the track, id say every bit as fast as every factory bike, outside of maybe a 1-2% advantage by the Star bikes due to Yamaha Engineers.
I have a call into Twisted for pricing.

Do they offer a big bore kit? Also how often do you need to rebuild it?

pete24
7/22/2020 2:13pm
TLR in florida Todd is the man
TD248
Fantasy
648th
7/22/2020 2:31pm
pete24 wrote:
RT... Todd at TLR knows his stuff. I’ve used him for my SX bikes in the past and will absolutely never go anywhere else.
DB97
7/23/2020 2:07am
I use TLR Todd as well. He’s ported my 450 and my KX250 2 stroke cylinder. After he made a custom map for my vortex I gained 5.5hp more then the default maps. I’m going to use him all the time especially since he’s only 1.5 hrs from me.
Racer16
7/23/2020 6:57am
Frenchie at C4MX. Very knowledgeable guy and reasonable. Motor will be very fast as well
brocsdad
7/23/2020 7:08am
Racer16 wrote:
Frenchie at C4MX. Very knowledgeable guy and reasonable. Motor will be very fast as well
His phone number is disconnected.
EngIceDave
7/23/2020 7:13am
pete24 wrote:
I agree with this.

Todd is a low key mellow guy, but he gets the job done. Known him for years and he builds some fast, strong and reliable stuff.

motokid15
Fantasy
628th
7/23/2020 7:37am
brocsdad wrote:
I have a friend looking to build his son a National Level Motor for his YZ 250F. The kid is injured right now and will miss...
I have a friend looking to build his son a National Level Motor for his YZ 250F. The kid is injured right now and will miss Loretta’s but should be riding again soon. They had used a builder from one of the training facilities but they epoxy broke loose and trashed the motor. So needless to say they are looking for another builder.

I wanted to get some opinions of the 4-stroke builders and your experience with them. Some of the names that come to mind are listed below.
Ed Torrance
XPR Motorsports
Bundy Built
Twisted Development
Tom Zont Racing
C4MX

Thanks in advance!
I’d talk to John Turner at MMR he does great work and stands behind his motors. He has built two race motors for me to race at the pro nationals and they are unreal! Tell him Jake Bork sent you. (951) 235-2616 is his number
Racer16
7/23/2020 8:25am
brocsdad wrote:
I can get you in contact with him.
Pink
7/23/2020 8:37am
brocsdad wrote:
I have a friend looking to build his son a National Level Motor for his YZ 250F. The kid is injured right now and will miss...

Ed Torrance
XPR Motorsports
Bundy Built
Twisted Development
Tom Zont Racing
C4MX

Thanks in advance!
One of my coworkers will do absolutely anything you guys need. We actually had to lay him off due to covid, and he could probably use the work. His Resume is 20 miles long, and maybe some of the guys know him. He has actually relocated to Dalton GA
This is him on Scott Russell’s bike. I’m happy to get you in contact if you like.
TSCHAM101
7/23/2020 9:20am
TSCHAM101 wrote:
id use XPR or Twisted only... I trust those dudes. And they are honest blue collar working man type of dudes. I personally have a built...

brocsdad wrote:
I have a call into Twisted for pricing.

Do they offer a big bore kit? Also how often do you need to rebuild it?

Yes, thats where i did mine.

and Rebuild depends on how you ride the bike.. generally speaking the same as stock intervals.. so if you hammer stock pistons at 20hrs. i would do a piston at 20 hours on the big bore too..
brocsdad
7/23/2020 8:41pm
brocsdad wrote:
Racer16 wrote:
I can get you in contact with him.
I’m leaning towards Twisted but send me his number.
Jack_Wagon
7/23/2020 9:28pm
Dan Lamey (Dasa Racing) probably knows more about a YZ250F than anybody.
7/23/2020 10:17pm
brocsdad wrote:

Ed Torrance
XPR Motorsports
Bundy Built
Twisted Development
Tom Zont Racing
C4MX

Thanks in advance!
JM Racing out of Houston. He’s built motors for Canard and others as they were coming through the ranks to factory rides. He is familiar with with the YZ engine as well, getting just shy of 50hp out of a YZ250f for a rider that will be running 250A at LL. Worth a phone call at the very least to go up against the list of names you have.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
7/25/2020 8:07am
TSCHAM101 wrote:

+1 for Twisted and XPR.

I know Twisted has a lot of time building race Yz250Fs. I used them on KTM builds.

I’ve also had XPR do ECU work in my Honda.

Both groups are very honest and reliable.
PTshox
7/25/2020 1:07pm
Jack_Wagon wrote:
Dan Lamey (Dasa Racing) probably knows more about a YZ250F than anybody.
Dan will know that YZ250F head probably better than anyone. Very nice guy too. CNC porting machine in his shop. Works closely with WebCams too. They are good friends.

Note: More than one factory team has their heads CNC ported by Dan. He's behind the scene doing a lot of work for names we all know very well.

Post a reply to: 4-stroke Motor Builders

The Latest