21 yz250f

dedi684
7/29/2021 5:00pm
Well i picked up my new new yesterday... [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2021/07/29/503415/s1200_D2C2947D_045A_41ED_BC54_5D6A0D259281.jpg[/img] Glad I bailed on the first bike. That dealer is showing on their website, that the bike...
Well i picked up my new new yesterday...

Glad I bailed on the first bike. That dealer is showing on their website, that the bike I ordered wont be coming until november🤣
Sweet bike! my grandparents lived near owens corning so i started riding there as a kid. Pretty much grew up there now im waiting for a 22 yz 125 im on my 6th yz 250
JBecker 72
8/3/2021 12:17pm
The GYTR radiator braces fit well and look pretty good installed.

AH387
8/3/2021 12:39pm
Well i picked up my new new yesterday... [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2021/07/29/503415/s1200_D2C2947D_045A_41ED_BC54_5D6A0D259281.jpg[/img] Glad I bailed on the first bike. That dealer is showing on their website, that the bike...
Well i picked up my new new yesterday...

Glad I bailed on the first bike. That dealer is showing on their website, that the bike I ordered wont be coming until november🤣
Awesome. Congrats, man.
Skerby
8/6/2021 2:34pm
Nevermind. NO old wheels fit 21+ yzf.

10+ rears work if you buy the new rotor but you wont get the old rotors to work without countersinking the mounting holes.

The Shop

8/6/2021 5:21pm
do you know if the new 2.15" yz250f 2022 wheel will work with 2021 yz250f ?

It would be a nice upgrade
fpandjic
8/8/2021 3:02am
do you know if the new 2.15" yz250f 2022 wheel will work with 2021 yz250f ?

It would be a nice upgrade
Yes, it works. The wheel just has different spoke configuration and is lighter.
8/9/2021 8:52am
After a few rides, im very happy with my purchase. I cant get over how good the suspension feels. Handling is good as well as the cornering. The wideness of the bike isnt that noticeable either. The power is good, even though im use to riding my 19 kx450. Ive tried a few different maps, but I currently like the keefer midrange/topend map as it lets you rev the bike out much further. The power tuner app is such an awesome tool. I can really see why the shoot outs have this bike rated so high. For any of you heavier riders out there, im 275lbs and the bike pulls me around just fine.

The only complaint I have so far, is that my boots get stuck underneath the fuel tank/sub frame area, when im really squeezing the bike before I hit a jump. I know some people catch their boots on the exhaust shields, but this is totally different. It is kinda scary because my boots lock in there as im coming off a jump which makes your body positioning awkward. Ive order a set if the raptor 7mm lower foot pegs and im hoping this will help with that issue, my other thought was to find a new pair of mx boots that arent as tall as my older gaerne sg10's. I wear a size 14 boot, so im not sure how that plays into the boot height/build.

After doing a bunch of laps on my yz250f, i got on my kx450 and I quickly realized that the suspension on my kx either needs to be better adjusted or sent back to factory connect for another revalve. Hands down the yz suspension blew the kx suspension out of the water. It really got me thinking about selling the kx and buying a 20/21 yz450 for a few different reasons. I like my kx alot, but the only place it lacks for me is in the power department. With the kx, i would have to send out my ecu to get remapped or buy the kawi tuner to change how the engine feels... the yamaha can be done with the app. Yes the app has its limits, but its a great start to being able to tailor the power to your like without putting in much effort.

I ordered a slater skins cover to see how much more gains will be had in conjunction with my No toil air filter setup. Im not sure yet if I want to try a vortex ecu or an exhaust system. From what I was reading most say the vortex itself has better gains than even an exhaust system.
LKHill
8/9/2021 11:02am Edited Date/Time 8/9/2021 11:03am
Your 275 and the stock YZ suspenders are better than your reworked FC? That's amazing.
fourfourone
8/9/2021 11:06am
LKHill wrote:
Your 275 and the stock YZ suspenders are better than your reworked FC? That's amazing.
I agree. I find the YZ stuff to be good stock with me being about 180 pounds. I cannot imagine it feeling that great at 275.
Leeham
Fantasy
3088th
8/9/2021 1:36pm
I agree. I find the YZ stuff to be good stock with me being about 180 pounds. I cannot imagine it feeling that great at 275.
Perhaps typo? Actually mean 175? At 150-155 I find the forks a little soft on spring rate as several guys on here have mentioned. Being 275 that stuff has to be half way collapsed. No way its good.

Does this bike run a 110 tire no problem? I know complete opposite bike, but the 110 nerfed my Honda pretty good. And on already soft engine, it was not good. Id like to have a touch wider tire for some riding later in the day when it gets dry/slick
8/10/2021 5:21am
Not sure how much you guys have been following this thread. I mentioned in a previous post that I already have already purchased and installed, the proper springs for my weight lol.

Might be the lighter weight and less inertia of the 250, making it, in a sense, feel better. I honestly did expect the suspension to feel as good as it did because I usually do a revalve for my weight. Yesterday i played around with the kx suspension and got it feeling better. Again, i always thought my kx suspension was good until I rode this kyb stuff. I havent ridden anything with kyb spring forks in over 10 years.
Zycki11
8/10/2021 7:55am
It isn’t the inertia. Yamaha has the internals dialed for a large set of riders varying in speed. The bikes are incredible
Skerby
8/11/2021 9:01am
I have had a hard time gelling with mine. Tried stiffer fork springs, marked .50 but Im guessing they were closer to .49. Felt way choppered out and I couldnt turn without a good rut. So went up a rate in back too, bike really harsh all around, beating me to death in some areas of tracks but good in others, still strugglin with corners.

Now Im back to stock springs front and back, think Im a lil too saggy like 112 right now. Gettin a lil chopper sensation still, I'll try less ag and it'll probably help a bit.

I think I just suck at 4 strokes, I can't use compression braking to save my life. I pull in my clutch when I enter corners and I have to dump it somewhere. I've smoothed out my clutch dump a ton but it still sucks, freewheeling into corners makes the fork feel really harsh and too high in its stroke to really turn off the front wheel.

Any tips for getting off the clutch? I've forced myself to shift to 2nd in tighter corners so I really dont need the thing, I just have this muscle memory that has been built up over a decade of riding 2 strokes.
Leeham
Fantasy
3088th
8/11/2021 10:17am
Skerby wrote:
I have had a hard time gelling with mine. Tried stiffer fork springs, marked .50 but Im guessing they were closer to .49. Felt way choppered...
I have had a hard time gelling with mine. Tried stiffer fork springs, marked .50 but Im guessing they were closer to .49. Felt way choppered out and I couldnt turn without a good rut. So went up a rate in back too, bike really harsh all around, beating me to death in some areas of tracks but good in others, still strugglin with corners.

Now Im back to stock springs front and back, think Im a lil too saggy like 112 right now. Gettin a lil chopper sensation still, I'll try less ag and it'll probably help a bit.

I think I just suck at 4 strokes, I can't use compression braking to save my life. I pull in my clutch when I enter corners and I have to dump it somewhere. I've smoothed out my clutch dump a ton but it still sucks, freewheeling into corners makes the fork feel really harsh and too high in its stroke to really turn off the front wheel.

Any tips for getting off the clutch? I've forced myself to shift to 2nd in tighter corners so I really dont need the thing, I just have this muscle memory that has been built up over a decade of riding 2 strokes.
Have you messed with the Tuner App at all? The Keefer free feeling app takes a touch off the engine braking. Or get a Vortex ECU and emphasize less engine breaking when getting it tuned

Being sagged out to 112 is a lot. I run 105/106 sag. Faster tracks I drop the forks to 5mm and tighter tracks back to the 7mm stock fork height. Havent touched the shock settings as stock comp/rebound has worked for me so far. I do really want .48 springs.
Skerby
8/11/2021 1:42pm
Leeham wrote:
Have you messed with the Tuner App at all? The Keefer free feeling app takes a touch off the engine braking. Or get a Vortex ECU...
Have you messed with the Tuner App at all? The Keefer free feeling app takes a touch off the engine braking. Or get a Vortex ECU and emphasize less engine breaking when getting it tuned

Being sagged out to 112 is a lot. I run 105/106 sag. Faster tracks I drop the forks to 5mm and tighter tracks back to the 7mm stock fork height. Havent touched the shock settings as stock comp/rebound has worked for me so far. I do really want .48 springs.
Are you ridin a 2020? I spun some laps on the stock 2020 and actually liked it more than my bike, I would be down to swap with you if it wasnt so much work lol.

I'm gonna give the .48s another go with less sag and see what I think. If I can't get along with it I'll get a hold of you and we can swap.
Sandusky26
8/11/2021 9:23pm
Skerby wrote:
I have had a hard time gelling with mine. Tried stiffer fork springs, marked .50 but Im guessing they were closer to .49. Felt way choppered...

I broke the clutch cable on my 450 on Sunday 2nd lap. I did not clutch motor the rest of the day and I think I was just as fast. I had to really roll my corners and keep up my speed to hold 3rd without the clutch. My corner entry was much smoother and faster. Do some no clutch moto and stay off the rear brake.
Show871
Fantasy
510th
8/16/2021 7:21pm
Anyone hear anything on the 22 yz250F dates to hit the showroom and intro rides for the media????
jridout12
8/16/2021 10:29pm
Show871 wrote:
Anyone hear anything on the 22 yz250F dates to hit the showroom and intro rides for the media????
I’ve talked to 2 dealers near me about getting one and one dealership told me it’ll be February/March and the other said July of 2022… I have seen one for sale at a dealership in Oklahoma City. Needless to say I’ll be traveling to get mine
Leeham
Fantasy
3088th
8/16/2021 11:51pm
Leeham wrote:
Have you messed with the Tuner App at all? The Keefer free feeling app takes a touch off the engine braking. Or get a Vortex ECU...

Skerby wrote:
Are you ridin a 2020? I spun some laps on the stock 2020 and actually liked it more than my bike, I would be down to...
Are you ridin a 2020? I spun some laps on the stock 2020 and actually liked it more than my bike, I would be down to swap with you if it wasnt so much work lol.

I'm gonna give the .48s another go with less sag and see what I think. If I can't get along with it I'll get a hold of you and we can swap.
Riding a 21. I like the valving for the most part. Just needs a little help for when I get over the front. Stock .47 is meh imo. But defintely have less sag. If I get pass 106mm, the shock feels like shit to me. But again, im a C class squid lol
yzf162
8/17/2021 12:31am
Skerby wrote:

Take the clutch pivot bolt out get going then pop the clutch lever off and toss it somewhere safe or in your boot if your gonna need it.
Lynch
8/17/2021 1:37am
Show871 wrote:
I know of a few that have been delivered in Sweden but all of them ride for Yamaha Scandinavia so that might have something to do with it.
Leeham
Fantasy
3088th
8/17/2021 10:00am
yzf162 wrote:
Take the clutch pivot bolt out get going then pop the clutch lever off and toss it somewhere safe or in your boot if your gonna...
Take the clutch pivot bolt out get going then pop the clutch lever off and toss it somewhere safe or in your boot if your gonna need it.
What ive done is take the clutch perch and rotate it up and out of reach. Straight up 12 o'clock. Cant touch it up there but if I need it for whatever reason its still there
yak651
Fantasy
192nd
8/17/2021 10:05am
Show871 wrote:
Dealer here had a '22 YZ450F come in last week.
wydopen
8/17/2021 11:41am
Show871 wrote:
yak651 wrote:
Dealer here had a '22 YZ450F come in last week.
There was a 250f and and 450 here two weeks ago, both monster editions..they are gone already..
Zycki11
8/17/2021 2:47pm
Skerby wrote:

You have a lot going on. First what’s your weight? Your C class ability I believe you said? If so, take your clutch perch and loosen it so it barely stays up when you take off out of the pits. Then it will drop on the first bump. Focus on smooth throttle and and forget your clutch. Your trying to find speed in the wrong ways.

Roll your turns with smooth throttle. Focus on setting up for the turn early and being smooth on the gas and through the turn. Sag should be at 104mm roughly, and specifically for the Yamaha you can actually sit in the middle of the seat and it will turn really well. If you have your nuts on the tank then your to far forward and won’t get any lean angle
Show871
Fantasy
510th
8/18/2021 2:49pm Edited Date/Time 8/18/2021 2:49pm
Thanks everyone for the heads up on the 22'........I have a 21 but it has me loving riding so much again after 8 years off I want a 22' LOL
Show871
Fantasy
510th
8/19/2021 9:53am
FWIW I just heard Keefer on the 450 kawi 22 podcast mention Yamahas are going to be tested by him in a week or so if I heard him correctly...which would be cool to hear. I run a 110 rear so I would love to get the proper 2.15 rear rim that the 22 has

JBecker 72
8/23/2021 4:42pm
Anyone got a lead on a No Toil air filter kit? Looking to change my stock setup out. Thanks.
Skerby
8/25/2021 7:53am
Zycki11 wrote:
You have a lot going on. First what’s your weight? Your C class ability I believe you said? If so, take your clutch perch and loosen...
You have a lot going on. First what’s your weight? Your C class ability I believe you said? If so, take your clutch perch and loosen it so it barely stays up when you take off out of the pits. Then it will drop on the first bump. Focus on smooth throttle and and forget your clutch. Your trying to find speed in the wrong ways.

Roll your turns with smooth throttle. Focus on setting up for the turn early and being smooth on the gas and through the turn. Sag should be at 104mm roughly, and specifically for the Yamaha you can actually sit in the middle of the seat and it will turn really well. If you have your nuts on the tank then your to far forward and won’t get any lean angle
Thanks for advice bud. Im around 180# and race 25+A locally but probably more like a fast vetB rider. I am pretty happy in corners now with stock springs and sag at 108.

Im struggling with some square edge braking bumps at my local track still. Also at the bottom of a 5th gear downhill, where I am going too deep in fork travel and getting bad headshake.

Local guy suggested I try +25cc-50cc of fork oil if I wanna run the stock springs, think I might try it out. I also need to stop thinking about suspension so much and just get some decent motos in. A big part of my problem is probably just me overthinking and hanging on too tight, once Im pumped up I totally lose objectivity.
8/25/2021 10:23am
To any of you guys running the no toil super flow kit with a slater skins and/or different air box cover, what map have you found works best with this setup?

I installed both these items and tried it out this past weekend. I tried it with both of the keefer maps and I could only notice a slight difference with the free feeling keefer map. I should have switched to the other maps that I have stored, but I ran out of time. My plan is to try the "exciting power" map and the map that mimics the 2020 yz250f feel.

This setup is much louder than the stock airbox setup.

Post a reply to: 21 yz250f

The Latest