2006 CRF 450R Sputtering Mid-High RPM - wtf!?!?

blaney372
Edited Date/Time 9/3/2014 3:16pm
Sorry for tossing it in here but I know this gets more traffic than the race shop, I barely go there myself. Anywhoooo I swamped my 2006 CRF 450R a while back and ripped it apart to dry it out and inspect stuff. Think I kicked it w/o the plug grounded and fried some ‘lectrical components. Now the spark is all good but it is sputtering in the mid-high range. It sounds a bit like its bouncing off the rev-limiter. I mostly notice it when I rip it up/down the street and get on the throttle to run through the gears. It’ll accelerate and then mid-RPM it will start to sound like ass. Neighbours love me… Any thoughts dudes?

New stator
New ignition coil
New plug wire and plug
New CDI (computer, whatever its called)
New head gasket
Carb cleaned (by myself and a mechanic)
New gas
Timing OK (99% sure)
Valves OK (one intake valve is 0.004 – spec is 0.006-/+0.001in)
Passed leakdown test
Compression at 60PSI
|
jtiger12
8/1/2014 2:06pm Edited Date/Time 8/1/2014 2:07pm
Completely drained the fuel tank? Dried out? Checked the head pipe is tight? Junction between the pipe and silencer? Replaced the jets? Those pilot jets get clogged easy. Costs 10$ to replace the main and the pilot just to be sure. Sounds like a lean condition to me
PADDY'S LAD
8/1/2014 7:17pm Edited Date/Time 8/1/2014 7:46pm
Clean the carb&.all jets again flush the gas tank & use fresh gas. Also, change the spark plug (to eliminate possibly a bad plug first)
When the plug gap gets to great the ignition has to jump a bigger distance and can mimic your symptoms . Make sure the coil to plug cap is good. And your grounds are good.
Next,buy a digital ohm meter and test your ignition system. All the test values are in your service manual
Good luck& stay with it and you will get it covered.
Cheers, Pat
hillbilly
8/1/2014 8:15pm
The vent tubes on the carb are not blocked

What color is the plug after one or 2 of these hood rips?, is it black and sooty? Or still looks new?

You are sure the new plug wire is screwed into the coil and plug cap good.

The plug condition,color will tell me the most info here.
hillbilly
8/1/2014 8:44pm
And,

You say 99% sure on timing, is that spark timing or cam timing?

Since you had the head off you are sure that the cam is not off a tooth .

It will clear the valves if off one tooth in one direction but not the other.

Remove the inspection plug on the crank cover and remove rocker cover.

Line up hash marks on cam with top of head,look at crank marks,the 3 of them will be in line if correct.

The Shop

The Rock
8/2/2014 1:00am
Sounds like a loose connection on the kill button that vibrates at higher RPMS then cuts out. it is either that or the flux capacitor needs re calibrating.
rmartin517
8/2/2014 3:01am
Check the O-ring between the slide. Same thing happen to me on my 250f.
Paw Paw 271
8/2/2014 5:22am
That one intake valve being too tight can do it. .004" is just too tight. Correct that first.
If the leak jet is clogged or has trash in it will also cause this issue.
As others have stated, cam timing off one tooth can do it.
A coil with too low primary resistance can do it.
A stator that is breaking down can do it.
A float set too low can also do it.

Paw Paw
The Rock
8/2/2014 9:38am Edited Date/Time 8/2/2014 1:52pm
rmartin517 wrote:
Check the O-ring between the slide. Same thing happen to me on my 250f.
Sudco has replacement parts. On my first project bike which started out as a thoroughly abused and beat down 2007 YZ450F the idle would speed up and go back down all by itself and Jim Lewis with Merge Racing diagnosed this as an o ring in the slide was in need of replacement....and he was RIGHT!
mxbrady551
8/2/2014 10:40am
My 08 did the same thing and we found out the timing being off a tooth caused it. Does it sound like it's hitting the rev limiter but in slower increments?
hillbilly
8/2/2014 1:22pm
mxbrady551 wrote:
My 08 did the same thing and we found out the timing being off a tooth caused it. Does it sound like it's hitting the rev...
My 08 did the same thing and we found out the timing being off a tooth caused it. Does it sound like it's hitting the rev limiter but in slower increments?
That's my thought to,it is why I asked if he ment spark or cam timing as 99% sure.

You really need to look good at the crank arrows ,plus I take a length of metal coat hanger with tape wrapped around it and stick it in the plug hole to feel out TDC.
blaney372
8/6/2014 4:32pm
thanks dudes. So I cleaned the air filter - same problem.

Hillbilly - plug is BLACK, super black.

Confirming timing again but I lined it up at TDC by a screwdriver, with the valves pointing to the rear, clutch side marks lined up and the magneto marks lined up. Bit of play in the cam chain tho.

For the o-ring on the slide, any pics or links to that? Not sure what that is.

Thanks again dudes, times running out for this summer here....
Paw Paw 271
8/6/2014 5:31pm
Replace the cam chain and get the valves set correctly as .004" is too tight as per service manual.

Paw Paw
MXD
8/6/2014 7:07pm
When you had it all apart did you replace the exhaust gasket between the head and the header? If you reused the gasket it can be sucking air at mid throttle and above and cause it to break up real bad. It's a cheap and easy thing to check/fix.
Mr Bean
8/6/2014 7:36pm
MXD wrote:
When you had it all apart did you replace the exhaust gasket between the head and the header? If you reused the gasket it can be...
When you had it all apart did you replace the exhaust gasket between the head and the header? If you reused the gasket it can be sucking air at mid throttle and above and cause it to break up real bad. It's a cheap and easy thing to check/fix.
Think that would cause a ""super black" (rich) plug condition?

MXD
8/6/2014 7:47pm
MXD wrote:
When you had it all apart did you replace the exhaust gasket between the head and the header? If you reused the gasket it can be...
Mr Bean wrote:
Think that would cause a ""super black" (rich) plug condition?

Highly unlikely but the super black rich plug could just be jetting or an entirely separate issue that might have nothing to do with the breaking up. I've seen bikes have black plugs and run fine.
blaney372
8/18/2014 6:32pm

Here's the plug after a ride yesterday. I'm going to put a bullet in this bike soon. Retarded the timing one tooth, still doesn't run right. Advanced it a tooth and it won't start and just about bucks me off the bike when it nears tdc.
Went up/down 2 main jet sizes and moved the needle jet clip around. Questioning the new CDI but who knows.
Sounds like it's hitting the Rev limiter but the rpms will increase after it starts sputtering.
hillbilly
8/18/2014 8:52pm
How about the check ball in the accelerator pump being stuck and it is sucking fuel thru the squirter tower in the ventri when the revs come up.
8/18/2014 9:12pm
Can you borrow a similar carburetor just to try and eliminate that from the equation?

hillbilly
8/19/2014 5:43am
blaney372 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2014/08/18/62833/s1200_IMG_20140818_195024.jpg[/img] Here's the plug after a ride yesterday. I'm going to put a bullet in this bike soon. Retarded the timing one tooth, still doesn't run...

Here's the plug after a ride yesterday. I'm going to put a bullet in this bike soon. Retarded the timing one tooth, still doesn't run right. Advanced it a tooth and it won't start and just about bucks me off the bike when it nears tdc.
Went up/down 2 main jet sizes and moved the needle jet clip around. Questioning the new CDI but who knows.
Sounds like it's hitting the Rev limiter but the rpms will increase after it starts sputtering.
If that plug was new before ride the bike is running way rich.

Are the vent tubes on the carb clear,none plugged up?

It can suck fuel backwards out of the bowl vent at the rear of the carb.

It even looks oily,was there water inside the cylinder? You could of broken a ring but the bike would smoke blue.

If you put in a new plug does it cure the miss for a bit or does it still miss right away?
hillbilly
8/19/2014 3:33pm
I guess you took off the head to get water out.

Did the engine hydraulic lock? Couldn't kick it thru till the plug was removed?

With that cold water hitting the very hot aluminum I'm not sure you aint got a small crack something.

The plug looks oily and oil fouled which would make it miss.

The valve bowl is the thinnest part of the casting but if it hydraulic locked the valves would be closed and it would do things like bend the rod,break a ring,eh,crack this piston,dunno,they are pretty hefty but it could.

A leak test can lie because the oil seals the crack.

Rub that black off the plug on your finger,if it is sooty then its carburetor if it is oily and smears you are pulling oil in somewhere.
Flipsid33
8/19/2014 5:18pm
If the bike locked up then it's very likely that the cam gear could have slipped on the camshaft. Needs a new cam.
8/19/2014 6:45pm
I checked with Rondo Talbot, AKA Mr Know it all. He said it sounds like something related to accelerator pump or leak jet. Accelerator pump diaphragm could be damaged or pump was not set properly when carb was cleaned. Check the rod that operates accelerator pump off of slide mechanism linkage. Always check silencer packing too, if it is soaked it will cause same issue by messing with back pressure.
hillbilly
8/20/2014 6:19am
I checked with Rondo Talbot, AKA Mr Know it all. He said it sounds like something related to accelerator pump or leak jet. Accelerator pump diaphragm...
I checked with Rondo Talbot, AKA Mr Know it all. He said it sounds like something related to accelerator pump or leak jet. Accelerator pump diaphragm could be damaged or pump was not set properly when carb was cleaned. Check the rod that operates accelerator pump off of slide mechanism linkage. Always check silencer packing too, if it is soaked it will cause same issue by messing with back pressure.
Yeah,I believe if that plug is sooty around the outer edge it would be the accelerator pump stuck open.

Or,vent tubes plugged with mud and engine vacuum is sucking fuel out the bowl vent on the rear of the carb.

The silencer never came to mind good call
Squishy
8/20/2014 6:39am
You may have mentioned this... Did you change the fuel filter? I had a similar issue and found that changing the rule filter was the resolution.
blaney372
8/27/2014 6:39pm
Myth busted...! Was the new effing CDI I put in it... Swapped it with a known good one and the beast breathes well again! Smiles for miles.

Thanks a ton guys for all your inputs, massively appreciate the knowledge shared! Baaarrraaaaaappppp
The Rock
8/28/2014 10:39am
Great news. For the record four stroke packing doesn't get soaked like two stroke packing. Biggest effect of worn or no packing on four strokes is popping upon deceleration and missing hp in mid range. It would not cause sputtering.
blaney372
9/3/2014 3:14pm
This. Isn't. Funny. Anymore. So, bought a new CDI from the dealership (Honda part no. 30410-MEN-861) and installed it today. Won't fucking start. Put my somewhat fault one on and it starts and idles and all that jazz. Let the bike warm up and put the new new one on and no starto. Efffff. I noticed they're different Denso numbers from my original faulty one to my new honda one... Que? Shown is my original on the left, new one on its own and the one I tested with in the orange. Going to try and hunt down a JD racing one since it worked. This makes my brain hurt.

Post a reply to: 2006 CRF 450R Sputtering Mid-High RPM - wtf!?!?

The Latest