Stripping 2 Stroke Pipes

I've seen some of you strip pipes of the plating to get a factory pipe look, what do you guys use?
1
|
RussB
Posts
1026
Joined
7/12/2014
Location
GB
11/29/2016 1:08am
You're in the wrong place dude
11/29/2016 5:49am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
I've seen some of you strip pipes of the plating to get a factory pipe look, what do you guys use?
save yourself some time and a little headache. find a place to sand/media blast it for you takes 5 min and 10 bucks.
I went to a large powder coating place and lucked out he was blasting when I got there so he took it right in.

it will leave a rough finish on it and look white. but all you need is some oil and scotch bright pads and it will come back to exactly what you are looking for.
11/29/2016 6:31am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
I've seen some of you strip pipes of the plating to get a factory pipe look, what do you guys use?
save yourself some time and a little headache. find a place to sand/media blast it for you takes 5 min and 10 bucks. I went to...
save yourself some time and a little headache. find a place to sand/media blast it for you takes 5 min and 10 bucks.
I went to a large powder coating place and lucked out he was blasting when I got there so he took it right in.

it will leave a rough finish on it and look white. but all you need is some oil and scotch bright pads and it will come back to exactly what you are looking for.
Thanks man. I appreciate it
11/29/2016 6:32am
RussB wrote:
You're in the wrong place dude
My bad. Figured since I'm building a bike, this place gets more traffic and a few people have done it on their builds that I would post it here.

Mods feel free to move it
1

The Shop

chuckie108
Posts
835
Joined
2/8/2012
Location
Mira Loma, CA, USA
11/29/2016 5:25pm
Go to your local chrome bumper shop, they can strip the plating off for you. It will come out looking horrible, but don't fret. Then get after it with lime-away and Scotch brite. Then wash it it with soap and water. Then scotch brite it again with wd-40. It will end up like this:

Ktm 5
Posts
108
Joined
11/16/2016
Location
Ravenna, MI, USA
11/29/2016 5:36pm
After u get your pipe cleaned up finish making it look factory by taking a hand torch to all the welded seams to get the color back there. Practice on the backside because it doesn't take much to get it too hot and not look right. You have to get the right distance from pipe and the right timing to make it look like it was a fresh weld and once it starts you can slowly follow weld around and boom factory again. Looks great when your done and if you screw up you can just rescotch brite it and start over
11/30/2016 7:46am
chuckie108 wrote:
Go to your local chrome bumper shop, they can strip the plating off for you. It will come out looking horrible, but don't fret. Then get...
Go to your local chrome bumper shop, they can strip the plating off for you. It will come out looking horrible, but don't fret. Then get after it with lime-away and Scotch brite. Then wash it it with soap and water. Then scotch brite it again with wd-40. It will end up like this:

Thanks! You don't happen to have any picture of the side do you?
11/30/2016 7:48am
Ktm 5 wrote:
After u get your pipe cleaned up finish making it look factory by taking a hand torch to all the welded seams to get the color...
After u get your pipe cleaned up finish making it look factory by taking a hand torch to all the welded seams to get the color back there. Practice on the backside because it doesn't take much to get it too hot and not look right. You have to get the right distance from pipe and the right timing to make it look like it was a fresh weld and once it starts you can slowly follow weld around and boom factory again. Looks great when your done and if you screw up you can just rescotch brite it and start over
Thanks! Do you just use a mapp gas torch? You don't have any pictures of one you've done do you?
chuckie108
Posts
835
Joined
2/8/2012
Location
Mira Loma, CA, USA
11/30/2016 8:19am
chuckie108 wrote:
Go to your local chrome bumper shop, they can strip the plating off for you. It will come out looking horrible, but don't fret. Then get...
Go to your local chrome bumper shop, they can strip the plating off for you. It will come out looking horrible, but don't fret. Then get after it with lime-away and Scotch brite. Then wash it it with soap and water. Then scotch brite it again with wd-40. It will end up like this:

mattyhamz2 wrote:
Thanks! You don't happen to have any picture of the side do you?
Here you go:


Here's my son's bike, I did the same to his. I bought it with a "platinum" pipe already on it.



11/30/2016 11:23am
chuckie108 wrote:
Go to your local chrome bumper shop, they can strip the plating off for you. It will come out looking horrible, but don't fret. Then get...
Go to your local chrome bumper shop, they can strip the plating off for you. It will come out looking horrible, but don't fret. Then get after it with lime-away and Scotch brite. Then wash it it with soap and water. Then scotch brite it again with wd-40. It will end up like this:

mattyhamz2 wrote:
Thanks! You don't happen to have any picture of the side do you?
chuckie108 wrote:
Here you go: [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/11/30/162123/s1200_IMG_7854.jpg[/img] Here's my son's bike, I did the same to his. I bought it with a "platinum" pipe already on it. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/11/30/162124/s1200_IMG_6519.jpg[/img]
Here you go:


Here's my son's bike, I did the same to his. I bought it with a "platinum" pipe already on it.



I like the way the kawi looks. Was the Honda a stock pipe?
Ktm 5
Posts
108
Joined
11/16/2016
Location
Ravenna, MI, USA
11/30/2016 11:25am
Ktm 5 wrote:
After u get your pipe cleaned up finish making it look factory by taking a hand torch to all the welded seams to get the color...
After u get your pipe cleaned up finish making it look factory by taking a hand torch to all the welded seams to get the color back there. Practice on the backside because it doesn't take much to get it too hot and not look right. You have to get the right distance from pipe and the right timing to make it look like it was a fresh weld and once it starts you can slowly follow weld around and boom factory again. Looks great when your done and if you screw up you can just rescotch brite it and start over
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Thanks! Do you just use a mapp gas torch? You don't have any pictures of one you've done do you?
Yes I use a hand torch with map gas. I'll look and see if I can find a pic of our old pipe
11/30/2016 11:34am
Ktm 5 wrote:
After u get your pipe cleaned up finish making it look factory by taking a hand torch to all the welded seams to get the color...
After u get your pipe cleaned up finish making it look factory by taking a hand torch to all the welded seams to get the color back there. Practice on the backside because it doesn't take much to get it too hot and not look right. You have to get the right distance from pipe and the right timing to make it look like it was a fresh weld and once it starts you can slowly follow weld around and boom factory again. Looks great when your done and if you screw up you can just rescotch brite it and start over
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Thanks! Do you just use a mapp gas torch? You don't have any pictures of one you've done do you?
Ktm 5 wrote:
Yes I use a hand torch with map gas. I'll look and see if I can find a pic of our old pipe
Thanks man!
Ktm 5
Posts
108
Joined
11/16/2016
Location
Ravenna, MI, USA
12/1/2016 3:41am
There ya go looks good
12/1/2016 6:28am
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/12/01/162262/s1200_IMG_8364.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/12/01/162263/s1200_IMG_8365.jpg[/img]



Man that looks good!! Since you're right up the road, can I send my pipe to you to finish up?? Haha jk. How did you strip your pipe?
RyanLester761
Posts
1128
Joined
2/7/2007
Location
El Dorado Hills, CA, USA
12/1/2016 8:33am
The blue bottle is Propane and the yellow bottle is MAP gas. I had a hard time with the Propane in the past. The MAP gas gets hotter and works much faster. Maybe personal preference but my back would be sore after heating my pipe (on the garage floor) with the Propane torch. It took forever! Lol.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Posts
7517
Joined
11/30/2013
Location
Portland/Los Angeles, CA, USA
12/1/2016 5:18pm
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/12/01/162262/s1200_IMG_8364.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/12/01/162263/s1200_IMG_8365.jpg[/img]



mattyhamz2 wrote:
Man that looks good!! Since you're right up the road, can I send my pipe to you to finish up?? Haha jk. How did you strip...
Man that looks good!! Since you're right up the road, can I send my pipe to you to finish up?? Haha jk. How did you strip your pipe?
Hahaha, the pipe came raw. I got it used and had to clean it because it was all rusted.
jtracing6
Posts
588
Joined
11/26/2009
Location
Dundalk, IE
12/2/2016 11:59am
chuckie108 wrote:
Go to your local chrome bumper shop, they can strip the plating off for you. It will come out looking horrible, but don't fret. Then get...
Go to your local chrome bumper shop, they can strip the plating off for you. It will come out looking horrible, but don't fret. Then get after it with lime-away and Scotch brite. Then wash it it with soap and water. Then scotch brite it again with wd-40. It will end up like this:

and it will still resist corrosion for a good while. I had mine done the same way.
2/2/2017 4:22pm
I just got mine back from being sandblasted. I'm in California so of course it cost a little extra to do it. It was about 40 bucks. It looks like they just primered it when I first got it back. But it is starting to polish up a little bit. I'm going to do the scotch Brite and wd 40 more and then I'll take my MAP gas to it.



2/2/2017 6:04pm
I'm not quite done with it, but here's what I accomplished tonight. I found out that I have a little hole that I'll have to have welded too.



2/3/2017 4:51pm
Wow. What a transformation!
2/3/2017 8:12pm
Could I get that shiny blue finish if I torched mine longer? I wasn't sure what would happen if I toasted it more.
2/4/2017 8:20am
Cool. I will give that a shot. Thanks
sand blast then scotch brite and map gas? How long did it take to get the blue going with the map gas? Luckily I have an old pipe laying around to practice with first haha.
2/4/2017 8:57am
Cool. I will give that a shot. Thanks
mattyhamz2 wrote:
sand blast then scotch brite and map gas? How long did it take to get the blue going with the map gas? Luckily I have an...
sand blast then scotch brite and map gas? How long did it take to get the blue going with the map gas? Luckily I have an old pipe laying around to practice with first haha.
It was really quick. I just followed the welds. If I put the torch really close to it then I could watch it turn brown really fast. I was worried that I might have done it too fast and that might be why it ended up with more brown instead of blue. But it still has a blue hue to it. I did a round of lime away in between wd 40 and scotch Brite because I was worried that I wouldn't get rid of the gray color.
2/4/2017 9:06am
Cool. I will give that a shot. Thanks
mattyhamz2 wrote:
sand blast then scotch brite and map gas? How long did it take to get the blue going with the map gas? Luckily I have an...
sand blast then scotch brite and map gas? How long did it take to get the blue going with the map gas? Luckily I have an old pipe laying around to practice with first haha.
It was really quick. I just followed the welds. If I put the torch really close to it then I could watch it turn brown really...
It was really quick. I just followed the welds. If I put the torch really close to it then I could watch it turn brown really fast. I was worried that I might have done it too fast and that might be why it ended up with more brown instead of blue. But it still has a blue hue to it. I did a round of lime away in between wd 40 and scotch Brite because I was worried that I wouldn't get rid of the gray color.
Thanks man!
2/7/2017 5:10pm
The finished product ended up pretty cool looking. I hovered over the main part of the pipe to get it a little browned.



2/8/2017 7:16am
The finished product ended up pretty cool looking. I hovered over the main part of the pipe to get it a little browned. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/02/07/174586/s1200_Screenshot_20170207_170426.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/02/07/174587/s1200_20170207_170749.jpg[/img]
The finished product ended up pretty cool looking. I hovered over the main part of the pipe to get it a little browned.



That looks good man!!

Post a reply to: Stripping 2 Stroke Pipes

The Latest