2017 CRF450R Refresh (wheelset)

agcarlson
10/30/2018 5:08am Edited Date/Time 3/10/2021 6:55am
Hey guys. Its that time of year again. Last race of the year was this past weekend so its time to tear it down and refresh. I am not sure how crazy this build will get but I will be going completely through the bike getting some powder coat done along with some other odds and ends. As far as when I will be completely tearing it down I am not 100% positive on when I will be doing that. I am working on building a data acquisition system for it so I can tune for some engine mods, the pipe and possibly a different fuel. I would like to get at least a prototype done of that before I completely tear it down. I hope you guys enjoy and can provide me with feedback good or bad and maybe some ideas along the way.

Here are some pics of it after the last race

And some during the Initial cleaning phase

and lastly this is what it looked like at the beginning of the season Silly

|
10/30/2018 9:23am
Awesome, Ill be taking mine down to clean up soon.

Do you like the bills pipes?
agcarlson
10/30/2018 10:02am
Awesome, Ill be taking mine down to clean up soon.

Do you like the bills pipes?
I do like it a lot. I dont like the guy that smashed into me at Red Bud this year that put a huge dent in the header but that will be fixed this winter. the build quality is great and fitment was excellent. I am not super pumped about welding an O2 sensor bung into it but I am going to have to if I want to tune correctly.
agcarlson
11/6/2018 7:16am
Haven't made any progress because I've been super busy with other stuff but I did go back to NY this past weekend and dropped off my muffler to a good friend that works for Bristol Core to have them repacked. I also picked up this lift for $50 while I was there it's a little rusty but a great deal at 50.

11/6/2018 12:14pm
Does Bill's offer a Ti option or is everything stainless and aluminum?

The Shop

agcarlson
11/6/2018 12:36pm
on the website everything is just stainless/aluminum so im guessing if they do anything with ti its not available to the public.
agcarlson
11/6/2018 5:46pm
So i actually was on the phone with them after I first responded and was talking to them about the "black edition" mufflers and they told me that the cans on those are Ti
agcarlson
11/8/2018 7:14am
Just put a deposit on a Brembo front brake system from a 2018 KTM from Vital member Lukass59 so I guess I will be adding that to the list of things to do.
agcarlson
11/16/2018 2:44pm
Been pretty busy finishing up the back half of my garage to use as a work shop so I have not made any progress on the bike. Started working on the data logger this week but I am by no means a computer programmer so that is going to be a struggle all the way through haha.

On a good note the front brembo brake system I bought showed up today. It is brand new with 0 Hours on it. It did not come with the bar clamp or hardware which sucks but oh well. looks like the line will work and when using the top bracket bolt the pads line up real well on the stock honda 270mm front rotor. the bottom hole however is not even remotely close but its better than i expected. So I will either have to rework the brembo mount or built a new one in solidworks and have it machined. I will most likely have to design a new one because getting the bracket to center on the rotor at had to add 2 washers. Any way here are some pics.

The KTM line seems to fit pretty well so as of now I dont see a need to swap it.

Here you can see just how far the lower hole is off.

2 washers were used to space the bracket and get it close to center over the rotor.

Naanak
11/18/2018 1:28pm
Hey I’ve tried replying to your message but I don’t think it’s working.
mxb2
11/18/2018 1:41pm
agcarlson wrote:
Been pretty busy finishing up the back half of my garage to use as a work shop so I have not made any progress on the...
Been pretty busy finishing up the back half of my garage to use as a work shop so I have not made any progress on the bike. Started working on the data logger this week but I am by no means a computer programmer so that is going to be a struggle all the way through haha.

On a good note the front brembo brake system I bought showed up today. It is brand new with 0 Hours on it. It did not come with the bar clamp or hardware which sucks but oh well. looks like the line will work and when using the top bracket bolt the pads line up real well on the stock honda 270mm front rotor. the bottom hole however is not even remotely close but its better than i expected. So I will either have to rework the brembo mount or built a new one in solidworks and have it machined. I will most likely have to design a new one because getting the bracket to center on the rotor at had to add 2 washers. Any way here are some pics.

The KTM line seems to fit pretty well so as of now I dont see a need to swap it.

Here you can see just how far the lower hole is off.

2 washers were used to space the bracket and get it close to center over the rotor.

Try scott at moto stuff for a bracket
mxb2
11/18/2018 1:42pm
Tell him billy sent ya.
agcarlson
11/18/2018 2:49pm
mxb2 wrote:
Tell him billy sent ya.
Right on man thanks I will give him a call. I was gonna 3d model one and have it made but I'll try that first
agcarlson
11/18/2018 2:50pm
Naanak wrote:
Hey I’ve tried replying to your message but I don’t think it’s working.
Weird I tried to respond to yours but it would let me, you can text me 3152902223
mxb2
11/18/2018 6:52pm
mxb2 wrote:
Tell him billy sent ya.
agcarlson wrote:
Right on man thanks I will give him a call. I was gonna 3d model one and have it made but I'll try that first
Np man, keep me posted what he says. Scott is super cool
aedwards07
11/19/2018 7:39am
If you end up getting a bracket made shoot your favorite graphics guy an email and I will buy one from you. Been wanting to do this mod for a long long time.
agcarlson
11/19/2018 9:13am
mxb2 wrote:
Tell him billy sent ya.
Just talked to him and got an "alrighty good luck with that" lol seemed like a nice guy but said they have not done anything like that. Cant blame him cause it would prolly take away from sales of their billet caliper which looks like a really nice piece. looks like im on my own for this one.
jaredkeller96
11/19/2018 9:16am
You should take the current bracket off and see if the Honda hanger comes close to bolting on the caliper. They can’t be to far off. I think all nissins are the same but obviously a different hanger
agcarlson
11/19/2018 9:17am
aedwards07 wrote:
If you end up getting a bracket made shoot your favorite graphics guy an email and I will buy one from you. Been wanting to do...
If you end up getting a bracket made shoot your favorite graphics guy an email and I will buy one from you. Been wanting to do this mod for a long long time.
Austin will do buddy. Looks like im going to have to get it done. it fits the stock 270mm rotor so good from the top bolt hole im hoping the bracket will be easy to draw up, just need to change the lower hole. the pads match the wear pattern perfectly from the top hole so thats a huge help design wise. did your oem rotor wear really fast? mine seems like it wore extremely fast compared to bikes ive had in the past.
agcarlson
11/19/2018 9:22am
You should take the current bracket off and see if the Honda hanger comes close to bolting on the caliper. They can’t be to far off...
You should take the current bracket off and see if the Honda hanger comes close to bolting on the caliper. They can’t be to far off. I think all nissins are the same but obviously a different hanger
so i tried this and it was so close it made me mad haha the spacing for the posts is like 1-2mm different. I honestly cant believe this isnt more popular ive only seen 1 or 2 guys do it. I know the "hot" set up is to just run the brembo master cylinder but i think thats just because people settle for not having a bracket.
samcampbell
11/19/2018 9:31am
I'd be interested in a caliper bracket for the Brembo set up as well if you end up making a few. Would be an awesome upgrade over the Nissan set up.
jaredkeller96
11/19/2018 9:38am
I'd be interested in a caliper bracket for the Brembo set up as well if you end up making a few. Would be an awesome upgrade...
I'd be interested in a caliper bracket for the Brembo set up as well if you end up making a few. Would be an awesome upgrade over the Nissan set up.
Honestly I rode a few brand new ktms yesterday and the brakes didn’t feel as good as my Oem setup with an oversized rotor. I had just rebuilt it and vacuum bled it with good fluid. I think it’d be even better with a new braided line..are the pistons any bigger in the brembo? Or does everyone just want it because it’s a “brembo”
mxb2
11/19/2018 9:50am
mxb2 wrote:
Tell him billy sent ya.
agcarlson wrote:
Just talked to him and got an "alrighty good luck with that" lol seemed like a nice guy but said they have not done anything like...
Just talked to him and got an "alrighty good luck with that" lol seemed like a nice guy but said they have not done anything like that. Cant blame him cause it would prolly take away from sales of their billet caliper which looks like a really nice piece. looks like im on my own for this one.
Dam, sorry man. Figured it was worth a shot.
samcampbell
11/19/2018 9:50am
Honestly I rode a few brand new ktms yesterday and the brakes didn’t feel as good as my Oem setup with an oversized rotor. I had...
Honestly I rode a few brand new ktms yesterday and the brakes didn’t feel as good as my Oem setup with an oversized rotor. I had just rebuilt it and vacuum bled it with good fluid. I think it’d be even better with a new braided line..are the pistons any bigger in the brembo? Or does everyone just want it because it’s a “brembo”
Not sure about piston sizes but I really like the way the brembo's feel. I've also got one of the billet Factory Brembo calipers that has been sitting on the shelf for awhile that I would like to use.
agcarlson
11/19/2018 10:41am
I'd be interested in a caliper bracket for the Brembo set up as well if you end up making a few. Would be an awesome upgrade...
Honestly I rode a few brand new ktms yesterday and the brakes didn’t feel as good as my Oem setup with an oversized rotor. I had...
So I figured eventually I would get asked this question lol so I will list out my personal reasoning for this.

#1 Rode a buddies brand new KTM last year and the first thing I said when I got off the bike was wow I really like the front brakes. This was when the idea came about in my head but then I shrugged it off and went about my life.

#2 I was planning on upgrading to a braided line and oversize rotor this winter but I also plan on building a second set of wheels so I hopefully keep a nicer set of rims and tires for racing and an ok set for practice. This means I would have to buy 2 oversize rotors instead of 1 or I would have to swap mounts when I did rim changes and would not be practicing with my race set up.

#3 I have an 08 RM 250 that I have put my 17' CRF brakes on a few times and really liked that setup. I had already planned on doing some sort of upgrade on that bike (it already has an oversize rotor)

#4 I got the complete front system off a brand new bike with 0 hrs for $150. This is most likely the biggest factor of the whole swap. The way I see it for $150 I got a completely new brake system for my CRF plus inadvertently upgraded my RM brakes, saved myself from buying an oversize rotor kit and second rotor for my spare wheels, and also saved myself from buying a braided line for the CRF because the Brembo comes factory with a braided line.

#5 Its a Brembo haha

I also need to correct myself from an earlier post on the stock CRF brake size, it is a 260mm not 270mm. Not sure why I had that in my head.
JMX247
Fantasy
1263rd
11/19/2018 12:54pm
agcarlson wrote:
So I figured eventually I would get asked this question lol so I will list out my personal reasoning for this. #1 Rode a buddies brand...
So I figured eventually I would get asked this question lol so I will list out my personal reasoning for this.

#1 Rode a buddies brand new KTM last year and the first thing I said when I got off the bike was wow I really like the front brakes. This was when the idea came about in my head but then I shrugged it off and went about my life.

#2 I was planning on upgrading to a braided line and oversize rotor this winter but I also plan on building a second set of wheels so I hopefully keep a nicer set of rims and tires for racing and an ok set for practice. This means I would have to buy 2 oversize rotors instead of 1 or I would have to swap mounts when I did rim changes and would not be practicing with my race set up.

#3 I have an 08 RM 250 that I have put my 17' CRF brakes on a few times and really liked that setup. I had already planned on doing some sort of upgrade on that bike (it already has an oversize rotor)

#4 I got the complete front system off a brand new bike with 0 hrs for $150. This is most likely the biggest factor of the whole swap. The way I see it for $150 I got a completely new brake system for my CRF plus inadvertently upgraded my RM brakes, saved myself from buying an oversize rotor kit and second rotor for my spare wheels, and also saved myself from buying a braided line for the CRF because the Brembo comes factory with a braided line.

#5 Its a Brembo haha

I also need to correct myself from an earlier post on the stock CRF brake size, it is a 260mm not 270mm. Not sure why I had that in my head.
Contact Clayton over at Trick eng, he can make a caliper bracket for the brembo. He just finished one for my 89 cr125 build I’m doing.

agcarlson
11/19/2018 1:14pm
JMX247 wrote:
Contact Clayton over at Trick eng, he can make a caliper bracket for the brembo. He just finished one for my 89 cr125 build I’m doing...
Contact Clayton over at Trick eng, he can make a caliper bracket for the brembo. He just finished one for my 89 cr125 build I’m doing.

That is trick no pun intended lol
brian352
11/19/2018 4:30pm
I did the same thing to my '12 CRF250R and about to do it for my 450. I used the tusk kit. I had the hole welded shut and drilled a new one. I also had to shave some material for clearance.

agcarlson
11/19/2018 6:08pm
brian352 wrote:
I did the same thing to my '12 CRF250R and about to do it for my 450. I used the tusk kit. I had the hole...
I did the same thing to my '12 CRF250R and about to do it for my 450. I used the tusk kit. I had the hole welded shut and drilled a new one. I also had to shave some material for clearance.

I think that is the route I will take first. I would still like to 3D model one in case I want to do a larger rotor in the future or to help some guys out that want one. That loos really clean though. So instead of using spacers you just make the bracket wider where it fits around the rotor?
brian352
11/20/2018 4:05am
agcarlson wrote:
I think that is the route I will take first. I would still like to 3D model one in case I want to do a larger...
I think that is the route I will take first. I would still like to 3D model one in case I want to do a larger rotor in the future or to help some guys out that want one. That loos really clean though. So instead of using spacers you just make the bracket wider where it fits around the rotor?
No. I used the Tusk bracket for a CRF. I used the Tusk because a replacement is only $25. I paid a welder in Miller Lite to weld the lower (or middle) caliper fastener closed. There was a hump there for the Nissin caliper; so I used a Dremel to shave that. I took off only what I needed. But I did that after drilling the new hole. I mocked it up with pads in the caliper to see where I wanted to drill. I wanted to just draw one in CAD but I figured having one to measure and refine first would be better. Using and actual bracket for my bike saved a lot of headache. I'll take more pictures when I've got some time. I haven't had time to ride with yet though.
agcarlson
11/20/2018 12:33pm
brian352 wrote:
No. I used the Tusk bracket for a CRF. I used the Tusk because a replacement is only $25. I paid a welder in Miller Lite...
No. I used the Tusk bracket for a CRF. I used the Tusk because a replacement is only $25. I paid a welder in Miller Lite to weld the lower (or middle) caliper fastener closed. There was a hump there for the Nissin caliper; so I used a Dremel to shave that. I took off only what I needed. But I did that after drilling the new hole. I mocked it up with pads in the caliper to see where I wanted to drill. I wanted to just draw one in CAD but I figured having one to measure and refine first would be better. Using and actual bracket for my bike saved a lot of headache. I'll take more pictures when I've got some time. I haven't had time to ride with yet though.
Right on im in for some pics

Post a reply to: 2017 CRF450R Refresh (wheelset)

The Latest