2017 CRF450R Refresh (wheelset)

agcarlson
2/4/2019 5:50pm
Well dug into the the top end tonight. I do remember it smoking a little bit so what I found is kinda par for the course. Looks like i was getting some blow by. there is light scoring on the cylinder so im just gonna get a new one, they are cheap enough and I dont wanna bother with risking future issues. Was hoping i could just plop a piston in and go but i should have known better. Sending my stock cam to DCR tomorrow so pretty excited to see what dan can do with just a regrind. lastly i will say im not to impressed with the spark plug hole being full of mud but maybe its my fault not sure. You can see how much dirt fell into the cylinder when i pulled the plug out. glad im taking it apart and not just replacing the plug. Does anyone have any suggestions on getting the boot to seal better?

agcarlson
2/5/2019 4:26am
adam8781 wrote:
a quick hone and that would be good togo IMO
I might try and get it honed and just see how it comes out, a new cylinder is only 2 days away for $205 though
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
2/5/2019 8:28am
adam8781 wrote:
a quick hone and that would be good togo IMO
agcarlson wrote:
I might try and get it honed and just see how it comes out, a new cylinder is only 2 days away for $205 though
Never hurts to have an extra, right?

The Shop

agcarlson
2/5/2019 11:06am Edited Date/Time 2/5/2019 11:07am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Never hurts to have an extra, right?
Agreed. For the money it's cheap insurance. If I get it honed and all looks well then I won't bother but I might just buy one anyway. What's another couple hundred bucks haha
agcarlson
2/7/2019 6:51pm
Got some linkage bearings in tonight, slow progress lol also have some new shoes in the mail thanks to Dustin at Hoosier Mid West. Hit him up if your looking for a set www.racetires.com. I also got my rear spring back from PC today for a lil sneak peek on the color scheme. It's candy blue and the pictures just don't do it justice.

agcarlson
2/10/2019 10:47am
Got my seat cover on this morning. First experience with the guts Velcro. Pretty impressed with it. Still need to mess with getting it a little straighter and tighter

agcarlson
2/14/2019 5:52pm
Got my header back from Fusion One today and they did an awesome job fixing the dent. I also dropped my front end off to get the brembo bracket fabbed up so that's one step closer. Got a huge parts delivery earlier this week too so it's time to get moving.

hubbardmx50
2/15/2019 3:24pm
What's in the big box with Honda OEM part # on it? E Start kit?
agcarlson
2/17/2019 1:48pm
What's in the big box with Honda OEM part # on it? E Start kit?
It's just a little box. Has my cylinder in it. The big boxes are my rims
agcarlson
2/23/2019 1:19pm
Data logger came in today. Not sure how I am going to make it work but I will figure it out. Pretty excited about it!
agcarlson
3/1/2019 5:38am
Made lots of progress this past weekend and hopefully make leaps and bounds this weekend. A buddy of mine got my wheels all laced up and I am super pumped on how they look. Getting the engine back together tonight and hopefully in the frame tomorrow. I got a little bored with all the cleaning so I bolt some plastics on for a little sneak peak.

agcarlson
3/1/2019 3:33pm
I also got the data logger mounted in the battery tray with room for a battery! The harness will come out of the bottom of the tray and run over to the subframe and into the chassis. I bought some connectors to make it easier to remove and install. I bought the HRC tuning disk and will be making my own connector cable for the ECU. Pretty pumped about this part of the project. I have not quite figured out how I am going to pick up and RPM signal yet as the data logger requires a clean square wave signal less than 16v so the spark plug wire is out. It has GPS capability as well so I am going to mount that on the rear fender right behind the seat. I hope it will get a good signal there. Pretty impressed with this battery, its only 1 lbs so I still lost weight even adding the data logger.

agcarlson
3/20/2019 7:15pm
So I know I have not posted in a while but I have been picking away in my free time. Made lots of progress with the data logger and got connected to my ECU with the HRC software. Pretty pumped about this because connecting to the ECU was a bit of a struggle. I found an article on thumpertalk that showed how to do it with a $10 obd2 scan cable so I saved a ton of cash by not having to buy the HRC cable. I got my throttle position, coolant temp, and intake temp sensors mapped in the data logger. Hoping to integrate into the harness this weekend. Still a little confusion as how I am going to pick up an RPM signal but I will get it figured out.

Here is my set up to read the ECU. Im going to make a harness now that I have it figured out because this is obviously not a practical solution for at the track but it works and that is what matters

And here is my way of calibrating some sensors in the data logger. Took water from 32 degrees to boiling on the stove and read the voltage and compared it to the thermometer. I want to calibrate to a higher temp but I dont think my wife would approve of me boiling coolant in here nice pots haha

And here is the data from the TPS. This was pretty straight forward to calibrate, just read voltage when closed and read voltage at WOT. The data picture is just a log file of me operating back and forth by hand on the table.

Meister
3/23/2019 9:23am
That's pretty techy stuff there. It's pretty damn cool, but I sure as hell wouldn't know what to do with it. Lll
agcarlson
3/23/2019 9:35am
Meister wrote:
That's pretty techy stuff there. It's pretty damn cool, but I sure as hell wouldn't know what to do with it. Lll
Thanks! I'm sure there's an easier/more expensive way to do it but what's the fun in that lol
agcarlson
3/23/2019 9:51am
I'm going to use the spare kill switch I have to start and stop the data logger and I'm going to try and figure out how to use the LEDs to show the O2 sensor status as well. Currently have it switching on with the mode select button and switching off with the kill button.

This is the logging state

And this is not logging

agcarlson
3/24/2019 1:14pm
Finished up the ECU connection cable. Works good and saved me a ton of cash.

agcarlson
3/27/2019 1:58pm
Got the rear tire mounted and the wheel on last night. Hope the tubliss and hoosiers perform as good as anticipated. At least everything looks good.

RABnasty
3/28/2019 12:38am
Super intense with the electronics very cool to see. Nice sprocket I ordered the same one for my 500
agcarlson
3/28/2019 4:55am
Thanks for the love guys. The ecu stuff could be a lot easier if someone wanted to just buy me a GET data logger and ECU lol. My way should work fine but it is definitely not the most ideal. I did get my header back from the fab shop last night. the o2 sensor bung came out great and the fitment is perfect. I was really worried about fitment because of the chamber on the Bills header but everything came out great. and yes i know there arent any clamps on the hoses lol

Wiztardo
3/28/2019 8:37am
This is looking like a ton of really cool, super in depth, analytical work. Keep going, man. i'm excited to see how this turns out. Riding season is just about in full swing for the region- looks like you're reaching the home stretch.
agcarlson
3/28/2019 8:42am
Wiztardo wrote:
This is looking like a ton of really cool, super in depth, analytical work. Keep going, man. i'm excited to see how this turns out. Riding...
This is looking like a ton of really cool, super in depth, analytical work. Keep going, man. i'm excited to see how this turns out. Riding season is just about in full swing for the region- looks like you're reaching the home stretch.
Thanks, not sure how in-depth it will be and far from what the factory guys do but should help me at least get it tuned really good with the old butt Dyno. I took 4 hours of PTO today to hopefully get a bunch done this afternoon.
jerbert
3/10/2021 6:55am
hello, how brave in trying to build data acquisition. I see that you know a lot about computers and motorcycles, I am the owner of a crf 450 rx 2018, I would like to adjust the ecu, I have seen that you have made your own harness, I have also seen one on the internet for 28 pounds, which can help me, but not I have no idea what software I need, can you shed some light on me? You can go through my profile and see my construction too. a greeting.

Post a reply to: 2017 CRF450R Refresh (wheelset)

The Latest