2007 KX250 Rebuild - '01 Chevy Trucks Spin Off

ghtwotwosix
Posts
83
Joined
1/11/2020
Location
Lehi, UT, USA
Edited Date/Time 10/13/2020 8:52pm
Finally diving into this 2007 KX250 I bought. Picked it up for $1,500. Definitely needs some loving!! I have to say, finding parts for this thing is a 🤬. I’m looking for a Hinson clutch kit specifically but doesn’t seem like they make the fiber/steel plate and spring kit anymore for it. Anyone know?? Here are a few pics of the bike for tear down. Started a YouTube page for it too where I‘ll be posting a bunch of videos on the build! Check it out! https://youtu.be/9tNS9A7ADj8 My plan is to go for a 2001 RC theme for the bike. Let me know some ideas if you have any!







3
|
2/5/2020 8:51am
Can you sign up to work overtime at your work...this looks expensive
8
ghtwotwosix
Posts
83
Joined
1/11/2020
Location
Lehi, UT, USA
2/5/2020 11:32am
Haha I wouldn't say it's going to break the bank but definitely not over the top. Doing the work myself saves a ton of dough as well as being selective with the parts I use. Its going to be about what a new two stroke would cost back in the day. I'll take a customized "new" bike for that price rather than a stocker at that price for sure.
2
2/5/2020 3:03pm
Dude, beat or not finding a final year model for ANY of the japanese 2 strokes for $1500 is a fucking score.
7
ghtwotwosix
Posts
83
Joined
1/11/2020
Location
Lehi, UT, USA
2/6/2020 9:50am
Dude, beat or not finding a final year model for ANY of the japanese 2 strokes for $1500 is a fucking score.
I was pumped to find a 2007! The ad didn't even have pictures or a price. It just said "Make an offer". After getting some pictures of it, I offered the $1,500 and they took it. I probably could have offered less!

The Shop

2/6/2020 11:00am
Bike was definitely "sent" during it's life. Looking forward to you breathing new life into it. Nice find.
3
B1rdman93
Posts
101
Joined
8/22/2013
Location
Humble, TX, USA
2/6/2020 6:54pm
Cant wait to see this thing reborn. Great snag!
2
Lightning78
Posts
6353
Joined
12/12/2007
Location
Huntington Beach, CA, USA
2/11/2020 1:37pm
Dude, beat or not finding a final year model for ANY of the japanese 2 strokes for $1500 is a fucking score.
For a 2007 KX250 that is a steal!

Looks like it still has the original chain and sprockets.....it cant be THAT old hours-wise.....neglected? Definitely
bonseff
Posts
2126
Joined
3/29/2011
Location
Frisco, TX, USA
2/11/2020 2:16pm
That air filter is a dream compared to my barn find, no cage either
1
ghtwotwosix
Posts
83
Joined
1/11/2020
Location
Lehi, UT, USA
2/12/2020 7:53am
For a 2007 KX250 that is a steal!

Looks like it still has the original chain and sprockets.....it cant be THAT old hours-wise.....neglected? Definitely
Wow dude, pretty sure you're right on the stock chain and sprockets. Didn't even think to notice until you pointed that out. Believe it or not it still has the OEM Bridgestone front tire on it too. Granted there are like zero knobbies on it since they've all chunked off, but still. Good news for the amount of hours on it, but yes, a little neglected in most areas ha!
ghtwotwosix
Posts
83
Joined
1/11/2020
Location
Lehi, UT, USA
2/12/2020 7:55am
bonseff wrote:
That air filter is a dream compared to my barn find, no cage either [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/02/11/403703/s1200_IMG_3821.jpg[/img]
That air filter is a dream compared to my barn find, no cage either
DAMN, I still think there's hope to reviving it...Laughing
bonseff
Posts
2126
Joined
3/29/2011
Location
Frisco, TX, USA
2/12/2020 9:56am
DAMN, I still think there's hope to reviving it...Laughing
1
Chance1216
Posts
8971
Joined
4/1/2018
Location
Carson, CA, USA
2/12/2020 6:41pm Edited Date/Time 2/12/2020 7:22pm
Bridgestone M 401 is also OEM for the front tire. I could see Bridgestone but no numbers
ghtwotwosix
Posts
83
Joined
1/11/2020
Location
Lehi, UT, USA
2/12/2020 7:58pm
Chance1216 wrote:
Bridgestone M 401 is also OEM for the front tire. I could see Bridgestone but no numbers
The M401 it is. Nothing like some 13 year old rubber

4
ghtwotwosix
Posts
83
Joined
1/11/2020
Location
Lehi, UT, USA
3/28/2020 8:35am Edited Date/Time 3/28/2020 8:36am
New video is up on my build! I put the Pryme MX cleaning pads to the test and see how well they work. I would highly recommend them if you want to shine up your dingy looking parts! www.prymemx.com

I also had some pretty damn good dings, nicks, and deep scratches in the swing arm and these pads took them right out. Super smooth now.

2007 KX250 Build Part 4
ghtwotwosix
Posts
83
Joined
1/11/2020
Location
Lehi, UT, USA
4/7/2020 11:19am
I just posted the engine tear down video today. Check it out! Surprisingly there weren't too many F bombs thrown out ha!

2
javjacob
Posts
17
Joined
3/21/2020
Location
Cameron, MO, USA
4/7/2020 3:01pm
That bike is definitely worth fixing up! I cant comprehend why so many people wont invest some money to bring these 2 strokes back to life. They dont make them anymore and once they are gone all we will have left is 4 strokes! It amazes me people just abuse and destroy these bikes then just part out and junk them. In the last 3 years I have restored a 2000 Kawasaki KDX220, a 1997 Honda CR500 and a 1996 Kawasaki KDX200. I'll take a 90's / 00's era 2 stroke over any new bike. Well the Yamaha YZ250 is the last of the old school 2 strokes.
1
ghtwotwosix
Posts
83
Joined
1/11/2020
Location
Lehi, UT, USA
4/7/2020 4:49pm
javjacob wrote:
That bike is definitely worth fixing up! I cant comprehend why so many people wont invest some money to bring these 2 strokes back to life...
That bike is definitely worth fixing up! I cant comprehend why so many people wont invest some money to bring these 2 strokes back to life. They dont make them anymore and once they are gone all we will have left is 4 strokes! It amazes me people just abuse and destroy these bikes then just part out and junk them. In the last 3 years I have restored a 2000 Kawasaki KDX220, a 1997 Honda CR500 and a 1996 Kawasaki KDX200. I'll take a 90's / 00's era 2 stroke over any new bike. Well the Yamaha YZ250 is the last of the old school 2 strokes.
That's amazing man! It's pretty crappy how people just neglect these older bikes and don't give a shit about them, so many of them out there. I can't wait to get this thing back together. Keep up the builds Cool
2
ghtwotwosix
Posts
83
Joined
1/11/2020
Location
Lehi, UT, USA
5/18/2020 2:29pm Edited Date/Time 5/18/2020 2:30pm
Here is the final product of my ‘01 Chevy trucks rendition! Not an identical replica but little tweaks here and there that I liked! Calling Pro Circuit this week to get the suspension revalved and serviced. What do you guys think?? Photos thanks to Kyle Basaker at @base653photo 🔥










16
newmason
Posts
211
Joined
6/20/2019
Location
Draper, UT, USA
5/18/2020 2:43pm Edited Date/Time 5/18/2020 2:44pm
Dude, what days you riding at OCA? I try to get up to the club a couple times a week, let's ride together sometime
The Moto Log
Posts
233
Joined
7/22/2019
Location
Land O Lakes, FL, USA
5/18/2020 2:43pm
Looks sick!!!!! I love it
1
ghtwotwosix
Posts
83
Joined
1/11/2020
Location
Lehi, UT, USA
5/18/2020 2:50pm
newmason wrote:
Dude, what days you riding at OCA? I try to get up to the club a couple times a week, let's ride together sometime
Hell yeah!! Finally got up there for the first time this season on Sunday since the bike is finally done. The plan is to go on the weekends, either day depending on our schedule. I'd like to get up there Wednesday nights as well. Definitely down to ride
5/18/2020 3:07pm
Amazing transformation dude!! That turbinecore that came on it with the upside down end cap.... oh man.. haha.

But again, nice work dude! I really liked the last gen KX's. My dad still has his 05 and that thing is so much fun!
slamdmini
Posts
105
Joined
9/3/2006
Location
USA
5/18/2020 5:58pm
beautiful
1
5/19/2020 2:29am
Nice job!!! Took that bike to the next level, got some photography skills also
1
5/19/2020 4:22am
I think it kick ass, if I had a KX this is how I'd do it. Awesome job.
1
nd54
Posts
105
Joined
11/25/2013
Location
Fishkill, NY, USA
5/19/2020 6:04am
I like the green frame. Did you have it powder coated and how hard was it to match the color?
ghtwotwosix
Posts
83
Joined
1/11/2020
Location
Lehi, UT, USA
5/19/2020 7:15am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Amazing transformation dude!! That turbinecore that came on it with the upside down end cap.... oh man.. haha. But again, nice work dude! I really liked...
Amazing transformation dude!! That turbinecore that came on it with the upside down end cap.... oh man.. haha.

But again, nice work dude! I really liked the last gen KX's. My dad still has his 05 and that thing is so much fun!
First time out on it this past Sunday and the bike is a blast! It's got some nuts that's for sure. Thanks man!
1
ghtwotwosix
Posts
83
Joined
1/11/2020
Location
Lehi, UT, USA
5/19/2020 7:18am
nd54 wrote:
I like the green frame. Did you have it powder coated and how hard was it to match the color?
Yup, had it powder coated by a local shop. The color is "Kiwi Green" by Prismatic Powers. its the closest color to Kawasaki green that you will find out there. Its 99% spot on.
1

Post a reply to: 2007 KX250 Rebuild - '01 Chevy Trucks Spin Off

The Latest