2003 CR250r Frame up resto-mod

kdubsteezey
Fantasy
953rd
Edited Date/Time 3/2/2022 6:22am
Alright guys... Here is my first ever build... Little bit of a back story.

I know these bikes don't have the most sought after engines... but ever since I was a kid I have been in love with the final generation CR250. There has always been something prestigious about them to me. I've spent the last 5 years letting bikes on Craigs list slip past me and spent my money on modern bikes off the show room floor.. last Feb I got ACL surgery, and sold my beloved 2017 KTM250 sx... which got me thinking about building a bike. I have never had the time to tear something down and not ride it for months, so back to CL I went... After a bit of searching I stumbled on this thing...

She was not a looker.. corrosion on the frame, beat plastics, roached tires, dirty... but she also had all the right things... the stock chain and sprocket, bars, grips, seat cover, front tire... no rub on the clutch cover, shock reservoir all the signs on a VERY low hour bike. I sat on it, it felt decently tight for a 16 year old barn bike, I turned the gas on and gave it a solid wack and like a kitten the thing purred to life with no hesitation. Tight and rattle free listening to the crisp bung of the old smoker had me hooked. I dropped the cash, $2400 bucks later I was loading her up.

Of course once I got home I unloaded it with a shit eating grin and my dad was standing there just shaking his head... I had to take her for a lap around the yard, despite my doctors orders off course... I was smiling like a fool. After Making sure it had all its gears, getting it hot enough to let the coolant cycle and just letting the fork and shock get moving again I hosed her off and parked it in the garage for the tear down.

This is how far I have got into the tear down. A couple more hours in the garage and I should be able to start cleaning! I originally had all these plans to build the thing with sick wheels, get the engine cases coated etc... but as I tear it apart everything is still tight.. no slop in any of the wheel or linkage bearing. The headstay bearings feel rough but I'm very surprised. I'll inspect them when I get it apart but perhaps Ill just be cleaning greasing and riding the sucker sooner than I thought! Time will tell.... Stay Tuned guys!!

Give my instagram a Follow ( @kdubsteezey ) as I will be doing day by day updates there, and then weekly I plan to hop on here and share what's going on!
|
H4L
4/4/2019 11:42pm
Subed..
Don't listen to the nay sayers.. Have been fortunate to have owned or ridden many 250 2t's & can say this engine is no slouch with some minor tweaks..
Enjoy the build !
kdubsteezey
Fantasy
953rd
4/5/2019 9:39am
Thanks Guys!

So I got the tear down all the way done the other day.

Then I started cleaning, scrubbing and polishing! I just finished up the frame, swing arm, and linkage. I have a lot more to do but I'm excited with the progress and how it has came out so far. While cleaning and inspecting I notice this thing truly has almost no time on it. The swing arm, chain guide, and frame spars have virtually no rock rash you get from riding ruts, or just riding in general. All the chain slider rubber is OEM still and I was able to clean and grease all the OEM bearings and they feel great!

I have a lot of cleaning, oiling, and greasing to do so I'm headed back to the shop now.... Stay Tuned!
kdubsteezey
Fantasy
953rd
4/8/2019 9:11pm
The past couple days I got the Engine cleaned and installed. Along with the triple clamps cleaned up, I removed the casting marks too. Then serviced the shock and got the swing arm, linkage and shock all mounted up! I think it's time to put some parts orders in.

I decided to take the "made in Japan" off the stator case, I think it looks much cleaner now.

The Shop

kdubsteezey
Fantasy
953rd
4/11/2019 12:26pm
Made a bit more progress. Got the radiators cleaned and mounted up. RC servo Moto installed, Subframe and air box on.

And then made a sweet bracket to mount the CDI box and relays under neath where the upper shock mount is. I need to source some longer engine mount bolts where the bracket mounts up. Its still rough and Im going to do some tweaking, but besides the carb having to sit just touch crooked compared to stock it seems like its going to work good. Plus it cleans up the bike not having boxes sticking out of the shrouds ready to get messed up in a crash, or having wires running all the way up behind the front plate.

I'll get better pics at some point.
kdubsteezey
Fantasy
953rd
4/14/2019 10:20am
Sprayed it down with PB blasters light oil. Then Scrubbed it by hand with scotch bright pads and used a couple different wire wheel attachments on my Dremel to get all the tight spots. Took a long time, but I don't have access to a solvent tank and I didn't want to tear the engine down to clean because it is still in great mechanical shape. Thats why I did it by hand. Same way I cleaned everything else too.
4/14/2019 4:30pm
Looking good man! I had an 04 that i wish was still in the garage. I remember reading a while back that those engines werent bad but wanted to be ridden in the mid range and fall flat if you try to over rev it. But otherwise a good engine. Good luck with the build.
4/14/2019 5:21pm
Alright guys... Here is my first ever build... Little bit of a back story. I know these bikes don't have the most sought after engines... but...
Alright guys... Here is my first ever build... Little bit of a back story.

I know these bikes don't have the most sought after engines... but ever since I was a kid I have been in love with the final generation CR250. There has always been something prestigious about them to me. I've spent the last 5 years letting bikes on Craigs list slip past me and spent my money on modern bikes off the show room floor.. last Feb I got ACL surgery, and sold my beloved 2017 KTM250 sx... which got me thinking about building a bike. I have never had the time to tear something down and not ride it for months, so back to CL I went... After a bit of searching I stumbled on this thing...

She was not a looker.. corrosion on the frame, beat plastics, roached tires, dirty... but she also had all the right things... the stock chain and sprocket, bars, grips, seat cover, front tire... no rub on the clutch cover, shock reservoir all the signs on a VERY low hour bike. I sat on it, it felt decently tight for a 16 year old barn bike, I turned the gas on and gave it a solid wack and like a kitten the thing purred to life with no hesitation. Tight and rattle free listening to the crisp bung of the old smoker had me hooked. I dropped the cash, $2400 bucks later I was loading her up.

Of course once I got home I unloaded it with a shit eating grin and my dad was standing there just shaking his head... I had to take her for a lap around the yard, despite my doctors orders off course... I was smiling like a fool. After Making sure it had all its gears, getting it hot enough to let the coolant cycle and just letting the fork and shock get moving again I hosed her off and parked it in the garage for the tear down.

This is how far I have got into the tear down. A couple more hours in the garage and I should be able to start cleaning! I originally had all these plans to build the thing with sick wheels, get the engine cases coated etc... but as I tear it apart everything is still tight.. no slop in any of the wheel or linkage bearing. The headstay bearings feel rough but I'm very surprised. I'll inspect them when I get it apart but perhaps Ill just be cleaning greasing and riding the sucker sooner than I thought! Time will tell.... Stay Tuned guys!!

Give my instagram a Follow ( @kdubsteezey ) as I will be doing day by day updates there, and then weekly I plan to hop on here and share what's going on!
She's beautiful! You got a great deal, that CR is really clean and all original. You are soooo... lucky! My 03 CR250 I just bought is a bucket needs everything.
kdubsteezey
Fantasy
953rd
4/14/2019 7:02pm
She's beautiful! You got a great deal, that CR is really clean and all original. You are soooo... lucky! My 03 CR250 I just bought is...
She's beautiful! You got a great deal, that CR is really clean and all original. You are soooo... lucky! My 03 CR250 I just bought is a bucket needs everything.
Thanks man! When I saw the pictures I thought it looked like something special... When I saw it in person I knew I had to have it. I don't think the guy I was buying it from realized what he had. Definitely lucky!! haha.
kdubsteezey
Fantasy
953rd
4/14/2019 7:09pm
Looking good man! I had an 04 that i wish was still in the garage. I remember reading a while back that those engines werent bad...
Looking good man! I had an 04 that i wish was still in the garage. I remember reading a while back that those engines werent bad but wanted to be ridden in the mid range and fall flat if you try to over rev it. But otherwise a good engine. Good luck with the build.
Thanks!! I had an 04 CR125 I wish I still had as well haha! I love these bikes. Yeah From what I have read the 03 was the best to make a good engine out of, from the crack of the throttle all the way to the over rev (didn't know this before I got mine lol) But it just takes the right know how and mods. Something I plan to do in the future, but I have to ride it enough to wear out the OEM crank bearing so I have an excuse to tear into it and do some Cylinder/head mods and maybe some engine case mods. For now I plan to do intake and exhaust bolt ons and just get a feel for the bike.
kdubsteezey
Fantasy
953rd
4/18/2019 10:46am
My good friends at Motostuff helped me out with a 280mm Blade rotor kit and their 2.5mm Pro Lite steel braided front brake line. I haven't decided on what rear rotor to go with, either one of theirs or the OEM 2019 rear rotor. I'll make that call farther down the road.

Then I got the fork all cleaned up. I was thinking of getting the lugs Cerakoted black... but the raw turned out good... maybe down the road when it comes apart for a re-valve. Along with DLC coatings and ano on the tubes/ shock body. Anyway... here's some pics.

soggy
Fantasy
3846th
4/18/2019 5:24pm
this bike is gonna be rad! i wonder if someones been in the motor though, aren't the oem head nuts usually capped?
Highflier
4/18/2019 9:45pm Edited Date/Time 4/18/2019 9:49pm
soggy wrote:
this bike is gonna be rad! i wonder if someones been in the motor though, aren't the oem head nuts usually capped?
Sweet find!!!!

As far as I know, 2004 and earlier CR250s used regular nuts on the cylinder head, at least going back into the 90's.
The '05 - '07 motors had acorn nuts on the front two cylinder head bolts and the rest regular nuts.
4/19/2019 3:36am
Following so far I have had 2 last gen cr 250s. 1 with the original RC powervalve. Which with the right porting, Kehein carb , case matching and PV cable tension would never run out of top end (the FMF SST also a huge plus). The other with the 01 cr 250 motor ( with full polish and port of course), v force Reeds and 00 Kehein carb. Both are amazing machines capable of anything you throw their way. 100% still competitive today. I still kick myself in the ass for selling my first one with the 06 motor , as weird as it sounds that motor had a way that when you learned how it worked you knew it was trustworthy. Learn from my mistake ... Never sell this thing.
kdubsteezey
Fantasy
953rd
4/19/2019 10:17am
soggy wrote:
Highflier wrote:
Sweet find!!!! As far as I know, 2004 and earlier CR250s used regular nuts on the cylinder head, at least going back into the 90's. The...
Sweet find!!!!

As far as I know, 2004 and earlier CR250s used regular nuts on the cylinder head, at least going back into the 90's.
The '05 - '07 motors had acorn nuts on the front two cylinder head bolts and the rest regular nuts.
Thanks guys!! Good to know, I didn't realize there were acorn style nuts on the cylinder head on the newer engines. But from what I was told the thing actually has been apart once, unfortunately...

The story I got was that the first owner somehow blew the top end up. (I think I have figured out why) It sat until around 2014 when a guy bought it for dirt cheap blown up, fixed it and sold it to the guy who I bought it from. The guy I bought it from was some dude that seemed like he bought bikes for the fun of it. He had like 6 just around his house and this thing was in the barn. He said he didn't have time to ride it so it sat.

Of course who knows how accurate this is. All I know is that it started up first kick, and it was 99% original still, so I was stoked.

My theory on the top end is that the first owner had no idea what he was doing. There was a 380 main Jett in the bike, stock is 420. This was probably to try to stop fouling plugs, which it won't, obviously. My guess is someone rode it on the road. They took it out and just held it wide open and didn't let off... in the lean state things got hot and the top end went. Which seems like the only possible way for a premature failure like that to happened.

I took the head off inspected it and the piston top and cylinder walls. The crosshatch in the cylinder looked good minus one little spot by the exhaust port that was scuffed up, I have definitely seen worse. The piston was a little black on top, not bad. I should have looked to see if it were an "A" or "B" piston. Then I would have had a better idea if it were replaced.

Thought you guys might find that interesting or have some ideas haha...
kdubsteezey
Fantasy
953rd
4/19/2019 10:37am
Following so far I have had 2 last gen cr 250s. 1 with the original RC powervalve. Which with the right porting, Kehein carb , case...
Following so far I have had 2 last gen cr 250s. 1 with the original RC powervalve. Which with the right porting, Kehein carb , case matching and PV cable tension would never run out of top end (the FMF SST also a huge plus). The other with the 01 cr 250 motor ( with full polish and port of course), v force Reeds and 00 Kehein carb. Both are amazing machines capable of anything you throw their way. 100% still competitive today. I still kick myself in the ass for selling my first one with the 06 motor , as weird as it sounds that motor had a way that when you learned how it worked you knew it was trustworthy. Learn from my mistake ... Never sell this thing.
That seems to be the theme I run into with anyone that has had these bikes! If you get the motor work done they are a dream haha and they wish they never had sold them. and of course it seems like all the haters are ones that have never actually spent any time on them...

The plan for this thing is to keep the internals in the motor in stock trim for the winter, with the addition of bolt ons. To start I'm doing a Boysen Rad valve & Exhaust manifold, HGS Pipe and Bud Carbon silencer. I'm going to start with stock jetting in the TMX carb and just work from there. I've always been very sensitive to small changes so I was just going to work through each thing step by step. I found the "elusive" S-7 nozzle for the carb that some have had good luck with fixing the jetting on these bikes. I'll do the 04 reed intake boot (straighter) and the 05-07 airboot (increased volume) at some point. Also I'm going to try out the 05-07 head gasket before getting motor work done. It is thinner which boost compression. Figured its worth trying!

When its time for a rebuild I'll send the cylinder/head off to get reworked. Possibly even get the chases epoxied to lower crank case volume. By then I'll have a better idea of the engine characteristics, so I can get a package that's closest to what I am searching for.

When I do the carb upgrade I would like to do the newer Kein that has a Power Jet. Get the proper wire harness and CDI box through Blackdiamond? who built the holy grail of CR's as you all know haha... That way I can get the more efficient power valve mapping he developed as well (assuming all this is something that is attainable)

I'm sort of a ride it stock, change one thing I think needs changed at a time guy.I think it lets you develop a better feel for the bike and the best possible package out of the bike in the end.

Of course I'm going to throw all sorts of bitchin' trick goodies on there as I go too!!
4/19/2019 1:47pm
Following so far I have had 2 last gen cr 250s. 1 with the original RC powervalve. Which with the right porting, Kehein carb , case...
That seems to be the theme I run into with anyone that has had these bikes! If you get the motor work done they are a...
That seems to be the theme I run into with anyone that has had these bikes! If you get the motor work done they are a dream haha and they wish they never had sold them. and of course it seems like all the haters are ones that have never actually spent any time on them...

The plan for this thing is to keep the internals in the motor in stock trim for the winter, with the addition of bolt ons. To start I'm doing a Boysen Rad valve & Exhaust manifold, HGS Pipe and Bud Carbon silencer. I'm going to start with stock jetting in the TMX carb and just work from there. I've always been very sensitive to small changes so I was just going to work through each thing step by step. I found the "elusive" S-7 nozzle for the carb that some have had good luck with fixing the jetting on these bikes. I'll do the 04 reed intake boot (straighter) and the 05-07 airboot (increased volume) at some point. Also I'm going to try out the 05-07 head gasket before getting motor work done. It is thinner which boost compression. Figured its worth trying!

When its time for a rebuild I'll send the cylinder/head off to get reworked. Possibly even get the chases epoxied to lower crank case volume. By then I'll have a better idea of the engine characteristics, so I can get a package that's closest to what I am searching for.

When I do the carb upgrade I would like to do the newer Kein that has a Power Jet. Get the proper wire harness and CDI box through Blackdiamond? who built the holy grail of CR's as you all know haha... That way I can get the more efficient power valve mapping he developed as well (assuming all this is something that is attainable)

I'm sort of a ride it stock, change one thing I think needs changed at a time guy.I think it lets you develop a better feel for the bike and the best possible package out of the bike in the end.

Of course I'm going to throw all sorts of bitchin' trick goodies on there as I go too!!
Holy crap dude ... Keep us updated every step of the way. It seems like you know exactly what you want. Seriously if I don't get a weekly update on this build I think I'll feel let down or my week just won't end on the right note. You're giving me new ideas now.
kdubsteezey
Fantasy
953rd
4/19/2019 5:36pm
Holy crap dude ... Keep us updated every step of the way. It seems like you know exactly what you want. Seriously if I don't get...
Holy crap dude ... Keep us updated every step of the way. It seems like you know exactly what you want. Seriously if I don't get a weekly update on this build I think I'll feel let down or my week just won't end on the right note. You're giving me new ideas now.
Haha thank you! The updates will come as fast as my paycheck does... ha!! but should be about every week or so.

As I have torn it apart and cleaned everything up I have probably spent an equal amount of time searching every thread I can find on these bikes to get a feel for what people have done and works. Just trying top build the most kick ass CR a mortal dude can!

Also I think I just figured out a source for a Doma pipe... so I might be trying one of those once I am cleared to ride again too!
kdubsteezey
Fantasy
953rd
4/20/2019 9:45am
Good idea with the VHM head. I really like the idea of customizable inserts to play around with. I'll have to add that to my list!
H4L
4/20/2019 9:54am
That seems to be the theme I run into with anyone that has had these bikes! If you get the motor work done they are a...

The popular mod is using the 05-07 oem base gasket on the 02-04 models & not the head gasket. The 02-04 oem base gasket is .020" & the 05-07 is .010".
Purchased a new 01 CR250 in the spring of that yr. & did some mods to it & in comparison to an 03 with mods the 01 engine is not up to par with it. You see a lot of people bash this engine, but in reality it has more power (at least 5-7 hp) than the traditional cyl. reed induction engine when done right.
kdubsteezey
Fantasy
953rd
4/20/2019 6:51pm
H4L wrote:
The popular mod is using the 05-07 oem base gasket on the 02-04 models & not the head gasket. The 02-04 oem base gasket is .020"...
The popular mod is using the 05-07 oem base gasket on the 02-04 models & not the head gasket. The 02-04 oem base gasket is .020" & the 05-07 is .010".
Purchased a new 01 CR250 in the spring of that yr. & did some mods to it & in comparison to an 03 with mods the 01 engine is not up to par with it. You see a lot of people bash this engine, but in reality it has more power (at least 5-7 hp) than the traditional cyl. reed induction engine when done right.
Oh ok, thanks for the clarification. That actually makes more sense as the head gasket is pretty thin as is. I was going to order both the head and cylinder base gaskets for the 05-07 engine in the future. Probably a month or so into riding it.
H4L
4/21/2019 1:39am
Oh ok, thanks for the clarification. That actually makes more sense as the head gasket is pretty thin as is. I was going to order both...
Oh ok, thanks for the clarification. That actually makes more sense as the head gasket is pretty thin as is. I was going to order both the head and cylinder base gaskets for the 05-07 engine in the future. Probably a month or so into riding it.
I used a cometic thinner base gasket (.012") on the 02-03 models owned before the 05-07 models came out on the recommendation of a local engine tuner. In theory it lowers the cyl. .010" (with the 05-07 gasket) giving it a different port duration for better lowend response.

kdubsteezey
Fantasy
953rd
4/21/2019 9:15am
Oh ok, thanks for the clarification. That actually makes more sense as the head gasket is pretty thin as is. I was going to order both...
H4L wrote:
I used a cometic thinner base gasket (.012") on the 02-03 models owned before the 05-07 models came out on the recommendation of a local engine...
I used a cometic thinner base gasket (.012") on the 02-03 models owned before the 05-07 models came out on the recommendation of a local engine tuner. In theory it lowers the cyl. .010" (with the 05-07 gasket) giving it a different port duration for better lowend response.

Ok! I'm really interested in trying this out. Just by the little bit I rode it before the tear down I think my goal with the engine is to wake the bottom end up a little bit. Just get the right off the throttle roll on to be a little more exciting then pull smoothly into the mid and up into the top. I'm not looking at really gaining anything up top, I just don't want to loose its ability to keep building power all the way to max rpm. Once I can start riding I have a lot of ideas to try!

Unlike my 17 KTM, that thing was a monster when it came to mid rpm hit. Basically I found myself using the Power valve adjuster different exhaust and jetting to try to smooth it out... but could never get it to not sign off early right after that mid hit either... That bike was a handful to ride haha! But I never worried about getting pulled exiting corners! As long as I didn't forget to shift! haha.
kdubsteezey
Fantasy
953rd
4/21/2019 9:22am
Even though it's completely pre-mature... I think I finished up the graphics design I'm going to go with. I couldn't resist working on them while I'm waiting for parts to show up and my next paycheck haha! Thoughts??

15tc150
4/21/2019 9:56am Edited Date/Time 4/21/2019 10:01am
Bru, this bike is a sweet build, and no matter what people say, this engine made more power than any other Japanese 250
2 stroke in stock trim, flywheel weight goes a long way with these engines as it helps keep the traction control at bey by keeping the engine from revving two quickly, plus dyno charts iv seen add 1.5lb of torque at peak, and 2hp, next thing I took care of was the stock reed block, an 02 reed block will help the engine flow better, specially up top, and add some good useable top end power, or a boyesen rad valve, the v3 block I found Narrowed the powerband, and took away top end, and made the midrange more potent than it already is, it was tiring, but the cheapest power was a small peice of carb hose that I heated with a lighter, and pushed onto the pv actuator stop pin, it stopped the pv from closing fully, and added a lot of pickup right off idle, and smoothed out the bottom to mid transition very well
H4L
4/21/2019 2:03pm
Ok! I'm really interested in trying this out. Just by the little bit I rode it before the tear down I think my goal with the...
Ok! I'm really interested in trying this out. Just by the little bit I rode it before the tear down I think my goal with the engine is to wake the bottom end up a little bit. Just get the right off the throttle roll on to be a little more exciting then pull smoothly into the mid and up into the top. I'm not looking at really gaining anything up top, I just don't want to loose its ability to keep building power all the way to max rpm. Once I can start riding I have a lot of ideas to try!

Unlike my 17 KTM, that thing was a monster when it came to mid rpm hit. Basically I found myself using the Power valve adjuster different exhaust and jetting to try to smooth it out... but could never get it to not sign off early right after that mid hit either... That bike was a handful to ride haha! But I never worried about getting pulled exiting corners! As long as I didn't forget to shift! haha.
The 02-03 engine won't loose any top end power by using the 05-07 oem base gasket with the right MJ.
I have yet to ride a 250 2t that has the topend the 02-03 CR2 have. The 93-96 models had good topend power & are probably the closest, but not close after cyl. / head mods are done to the 02-03.
kdubsteezey
Fantasy
953rd
4/21/2019 11:10pm
15tc150 wrote:
Bru, this bike is a sweet build, and no matter what people say, this engine made more power than any other Japanese 250 2 stroke in...
Bru, this bike is a sweet build, and no matter what people say, this engine made more power than any other Japanese 250
2 stroke in stock trim, flywheel weight goes a long way with these engines as it helps keep the traction control at bey by keeping the engine from revving two quickly, plus dyno charts iv seen add 1.5lb of torque at peak, and 2hp, next thing I took care of was the stock reed block, an 02 reed block will help the engine flow better, specially up top, and add some good useable top end power, or a boyesen rad valve, the v3 block I found Narrowed the powerband, and took away top end, and made the midrange more potent than it already is, it was tiring, but the cheapest power was a small peice of carb hose that I heated with a lighter, and pushed onto the pv actuator stop pin, it stopped the pv from closing fully, and added a lot of pickup right off idle, and smoothed out the bottom to mid transition very well
Right on, I might play with a fly wheel weight at some point, I've never messed with anything like that. So I would be interesting in trying it once I feel I have a good base.

I already ordered up a Boysen Rad valve, and I am going to order up their Exhaust manifold as its supposed to help as well with bottom end pick up without compromising the top end.

Thats really interesting with the PV that's the first ive heard of that mod. I'll have to go out and look at that the next time Im out working on the bike. If its as simple as making a little bumpstop to limit the pv distance when closing I'll give that shot too.
kdubsteezey
Fantasy
953rd
4/21/2019 11:17pm
H4L wrote:
The 02-03 engine won't loose any top end power by using the 05-07 oem base gasket with the right MJ. I have yet to ride a...
The 02-03 engine won't loose any top end power by using the 05-07 oem base gasket with the right MJ.
I have yet to ride a 250 2t that has the topend the 02-03 CR2 have. The 93-96 models had good topend power & are probably the closest, but not close after cyl. / head mods are done to the 02-03.
Ok that sounds like it'll be a good step towards what I'm looking for. When you ran this set up where you running the Stock TMX carb? or a Kein? If it where the TMX, any chance you remember what MJ you where running? or perhaps just which direction you went from stock, leaner or richer?

Thanks for all the info I really appreciate it!!

Post a reply to: 2003 CR250r Frame up resto-mod

The Latest