Inner cartridge removal on XACT Pro/ WP 6500 inserts

erik_94COBRA
Posts
1182
Joined
7/21/2016
Location
Houston-ish, TX, USA

Is there a tool made for these somewhere?  Or just use a pin spanner?  
 

70356C06-1602-4FEB-BB58-69AF4C3368A9

 

|
FGR01
Posts
6150
Joined
10/1/2006
Location
USA
Fantasy
4/8/2023 4:09pm

Race Tech TFCT PS21040.

 

2
erik_94COBRA
Posts
1182
Joined
7/21/2016
Location
Houston-ish, TX, USA
4/8/2023 6:54pm
FGR01 wrote:

Race Tech TFCT PS21040.

 

Awesome. Looked there a few months back and didn’t find anything. 

hubbardmx50
Posts
2836
Joined
11/17/2016
Location
Rancho Cucamonga, CA, USA
4/8/2023 7:38pm

Rocky mountain/Tusk makes a ton of good suspension tools also

Helda8
Posts
6
Joined
4/6/2023
Location
East Mackay, JBT, AU
4/9/2023 3:14pm

T1409920230410 081202.jpg?VersionId=m3e0PJ79ru upnBpgPsQ9oA7yOS

 20230410 081055

 

3

The Shop

skyrebel88
Posts
195
Joined
1/29/2015
Location
New Fairfield, CT, USA
4/10/2023 8:49am

I bought a socket off RMATVMC that looks like it has similar fingers to that that unscews the inner cartridge from the main cartridge on a stock KTM fork. 

FGR01
Posts
6150
Joined
10/1/2006
Location
USA
Fantasy
4/10/2023 9:10am
skyrebel88 wrote:
I bought a socket off RMATVMC that looks like it has similar fingers to that that unscews the inner cartridge from the main cartridge on a...

I bought a socket off RMATVMC that looks like it has similar fingers to that that unscews the inner cartridge from the main cartridge on a stock KTM fork. 

The diameter of the circle of "fingers" for the stock AER forks (right) is larger than on the WP Pro (left, cone valve and 6500) forks.   Basically, the diameter is smaller since there's an external preload adjuster and the cartridge fits inside that.   Also, the Pro forks will not accept any tool with 4 fingers since there's only 3 slots.

image-20230410091028-1

1
Bruce372
Posts
6329
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
USA
8/3/2023 2:26pm

Does anyone know where to find a shaft block tool to hold the cartridge for servicing.  Thanks

8/10/2023 12:23pm Edited Date/Time 8/10/2023 12:26pm
Bruce372 wrote:

Does anyone know where to find a shaft block tool to hold the cartridge for servicing.  Thanks

I don't want to derail this post, but just picked up a set of these and wondered what you thought of them?  I have some CV as well.  J

 

ps- ridejbi has some clamp blocks

1
Bruce372
Posts
6329
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
USA
8/10/2023 1:26pm Edited Date/Time 8/10/2023 1:27pm
Bruce372 wrote:

Does anyone know where to find a shaft block tool to hold the cartridge for servicing.  Thanks

I don't want to derail this post, but just picked up a set of these and wondered what you thought of them?  I have some CV...

I don't want to derail this post, but just picked up a set of these and wondered what you thought of them?  I have some CV as well.  J

 

ps- ridejbi has some clamp blocks

They look pretty much the same as the showas on my 2002 rm125 lol.

I've not seen the cone valves, but the construction looks very similar between the 6500s and the cones.

I did manage to also source a set of 6500s from a friend that is getting cones... managed to find the cartridge holder and race tech base valve tool since they need to be opened up to install the 10mm shortening spacer for the husky.   Ended up going a different path with regular length and look forward to trying them.

Bruce372
Posts
6329
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
USA
8/10/2023 1:28pm

To me, the cone valve looks like a glorified check plate so probably all that intital bleed or blow off is why people like the cones.

1
8/13/2023 4:25pm
Bruce372 wrote:

To me, the cone valve looks like a glorified check plate so probably all that intital bleed or blow off is why people like the cones.

Do you know if these 6500 cartridges will fit in 4cs forks?  Want to build a full fork set up.

 

Bruce372
Posts
6329
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
USA
8/13/2023 10:54pm
Bruce372 wrote:

To me, the cone valve looks like a glorified check plate so probably all that intital bleed or blow off is why people like the cones.

Do you know if these 6500 cartridges will fit in 4cs forks?  Want to build a full fork set up.

 

No idea, probably not... unless you buy newer lugs.  They definitely don't fit in the 2016 thru 2019 aer fork.... unless you buy kit with newer lugs.

1
erik_94COBRA
Posts
1182
Joined
7/21/2016
Location
Houston-ish, TX, USA
8/17/2023 10:59am
Bruce372 wrote:

To me, the cone valve looks like a glorified check plate so probably all that intital bleed or blow off is why people like the cones.

They are a lot like a check plate with less flow restriction (presumably).  I would also suspect the opening is more predictable compared to a shim bending.

Are you planning on fiddling with your set of CVs?

I am eventually and would be interested in your findings.  There is a fair amount of info on setup (cone, preload, base valve, etc) on Thumpertalk, but most is a few years old.

Found the stock settings here (don't worry, link is clean):

https://d2akct5dekqm4p.cloudfront.net/84/media/pdf/dok-wp-sl-18150u07set-sl-sall-awsg-v1-26266.pdf

 

Bruce372
Posts
6329
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
USA
8/17/2023 11:51am
Bruce372 wrote:

To me, the cone valve looks like a glorified check plate so probably all that intital bleed or blow off is why people like the cones.

They are a lot like a check plate with less flow restriction (presumably).  I would also suspect the opening is more predictable compared to a shim...

They are a lot like a check plate with less flow restriction (presumably).  I would also suspect the opening is more predictable compared to a shim bending.

Are you planning on fiddling with your set of CVs?

I am eventually and would be interested in your findings.  There is a fair amount of info on setup (cone, preload, base valve, etc) on Thumpertalk, but most is a few years old.

Found the stock settings here (don't worry, link is clean):

https://d2akct5dekqm4p.cloudfront.net/84/media/pdf/dok-wp-sl-18150u07set-sl-sall-awsg-v1-26266.pdf

 

Hi Erik, I have the 6500 inserts and trying them first time today.

I really hope I don't have to mess with them.  If I do, I might even send them out. After years of working on SSF showa and AER, I had forgotten what a pain twin chambers are.

On cone vs check plate, you are right the cones should give more precise control of flow... but remember a check plate can have flow control by how far it opens and also the rate of opening controlled by the check valve spring.  Maybe that doesn't matter if the check plate opens beyond the flow of the piston and maybe this is where the cones shine???

Post a reply to: Inner cartridge removal on XACT Pro/ WP 6500 inserts

The Latest