Posts
51
Joined
6/17/2021
Location
Miami, FL, USA
Hey guys, had my yz parked in the trailer for awhile until I decided to start riding it again, I’ve been pretty spoiled with my past ktm’s breaks and the first thing I noticed was how mushy and unresponsive the stock set up is on the Yamaha. I’ve heard of people using a crf450 master cylinder. I like a stiff and grabby feel from the lever. Which other parts are needed to work with the Crf MC? Was also planning to get a steel braided line. Thanks
Just order a core moto steel braided brake line like star Yamaha runs!
Mixing the CRF master with the modern YZ caliper may not be great. The YZ master has a 3/8 inch bore (about 9.5mm) while the CRF has a 11mm bore and each is designed for different piston diameters in the caliper. If you run the CRF master, you should get the CRF caliper or the older YZ caliper... (more below).
If you like the brembo feel, get the brembo system new or from ebay or MXLocker or check the bazaar here on vital.
There's a fella making and selling a caliper bracket for the YZ that allows you to install a brembo caliper from a KTM.
He has a post in the bazaar here on Vital, but I can't remember his username.
There are other options...
I don't like the brembo feel even though it's better than some YZ front brakes. I don't like the brembo or YZ lever feel either.
I've switched the complete front brake systems on all my bikes over to to Honda CRF-450R systems with aftermarket braided stainless hoses.
My preference has been the older system from around 2008 - 2018 model years of the Honda.
I believe the 2019 and later came with two different piston sizes in the front caliper, but I may be a little off on which year that change was made.
The CRF-450R Nissin caliper is a direct fit onto the Yamaha brake caliper bracket.
The OE Honda genuine parts pads with a non-floating Galfer 270mm rotor are my preference.
Some guys are running the brembo master cylinder with the older YZ caliper (from 2002 - 2006 models).
I think Doug Dubach and Kris Keefer popularized that setup and I've seen others post about running it here on Vital.
I had a CRF450R master and caliper with a stainless line on my last two Yamahas and it was a major improvement. The caliper bolted right up to the Yamaha front end with no modification.
Yup, I used a 2015 CRF250R...you'll need the Honda lever as well. Oem line will work but a little snug as the banjo fitting is on the opposite side. Night/day diff.
Post a reply to: yz250f front break setup