The influence of rebound clicker in compression

Ichnusa
Hello everyone, we all know that rebound clickers influences compression too but how much? More in suspension's long strokes or in short ones? I would say in what conditions that influence feels more? on big bumps/rollers or in square edge? Or maybe in load transfers?
|
willbilly
3/3/2022 5:12pm
It’s the low speed bleed bypass. So it would affect low shaft speed regardless of the amount of movement.
alien
3/4/2022 6:30am
Low speed shaft movements before the face shim lifts is controlled by the bleed hole. The rebound adjuster has more effect on compression than the compression adjuster . Next time the shock is off the bike remove the spring and compress the shock by hand , then close off the rebound adj. a few clicks at a time and notice how hard it is to compress the shaft. Reset the rebound adj. to std. then close off the compression adj. and compress again you will notice very little change in resistance from the comp adj. only. That is why bikes are plusher the faster you run the rebound adjuster.
Ichnusa
3/4/2022 6:47am
Yes it's maybe because in the compression adjuster flows only the oil volume moved by the shaft instead trought the rebound flows oil at all piston movements so a major oil volume at equal of stroke that's right?
Skerby
3/24/2022 8:15am
Until the midvalve opens up right? This thread got me thinking about MTB suspension where I believe the effect of rebound on compression is less pronounced because the midvalves are set up to just float open in most configurations.

Tested this out on my 450 and it did seem to hold it up in the stroke a lot better than the comp clicker (which is only a click or two off full slow already). Haven't gotten a chance to test it on the bicycle yet but Im excited.

The Shop

wrc777
Fantasy
587th
3/24/2022 8:27am
Skerby wrote:
Until the midvalve opens up right? This thread got me thinking about MTB suspension where I believe the effect of rebound on compression is less pronounced...
Until the midvalve opens up right? This thread got me thinking about MTB suspension where I believe the effect of rebound on compression is less pronounced because the midvalves are set up to just float open in most configurations.

Tested this out on my 450 and it did seem to hold it up in the stroke a lot better than the comp clicker (which is only a click or two off full slow already). Haven't gotten a chance to test it on the bicycle yet but Im excited.
It allows oil to completely bypass the mid-valve in both directions. Once the midvalve stack opens I would expect the size of the orifice is too small in comparison to have a big effect on the damping. So it is really a low speed, mid-valve compression and rebound adjuster. I think this is why Keefer talks about tuning clickers where when you make a change to the rebound clicker you do the opposite and twice as many clicks on the compression clicker. Racetech sells a one-way for the shock to only allow oil to flow one direction through the rebound bleed hole. Is it useful? I don't know.

Prior to '21 WP AER forks for 2 strokes used a check plate for compression on the mid-valve. In that case the rebound clicker would have little or no effect on compression.

Post a reply to: The influence of rebound clicker in compression

The Latest