Shock Spring Rubbing Body?

nch209
Edited Date/Time 11/9/2020 8:22pm
Had a chance to get out and ride after a long hiatus fighting a shoulder injury, and was bummed to see the Pro Action (eibach???) spring I used rubbed the piss out of the body. I upgraded suspension on my 05 yz to newer style stuff, and this body was pristine. The setup was perfect and it felt good.... but what gives? Just a junk spring? Who makes a good one? Just don’t wanna spend more cash on one that’s a rebranded junker like this one. Technically this is an ‘18 YZ250 2 stroke shock.

My goal is to get a spring to get me through till the snow flies, then I’ll just recoat the body and tin the shaft. Just don’t want to destroy the body till then. Luckily I caught it before it destroyed the threads, as a preload ring still threads on ok.

|
FGR01
Fantasy
1327th
11/8/2020 7:22pm
As I recall, the YZ/KYB springs have a taper from top to bottom. The top opening is larger than the bottom opening. I think it's darn near impossible to install the spring upside down but perhaps that is what happened? Or maybe the Eibach spring was wound with the taper just a little too snug? Just a wild guess.
nch209
11/8/2020 7:33pm
FGR01 wrote:
As I recall, the YZ/KYB springs have a taper from top to bottom. The top opening is larger than the bottom opening. I think it's darn...
As I recall, the YZ/KYB springs have a taper from top to bottom. The top opening is larger than the bottom opening. I think it's darn near impossible to install the spring upside down but perhaps that is what happened? Or maybe the Eibach spring was wound with the taper just a little too snug? Just a wild guess.
Great insight. The spring indeed only goes on one way and was proper... almost like the spring was “bending” as it collapsed if that makes any sense.
slipdog
11/9/2020 9:15am
Can you post a picture of the spring markings to verify what brand it is? Over the years I've seen that the most with the 46mm KYB shock and with Cannon springs.
nch209
11/9/2020 2:29pm
Thanks for all who posted. Had a moment to get in the shop to take a closer look. I’m 99% it’s an eibach. I bought it a while back and was using a higher rate and this one sat on the shelf for quite a while.

Anyway, looking closer, a few issues with it. First is the collar on the bottom of the shock. Well, actually it’s two sandwiched together, not like one that comes from the factory. It allows for more slop side to side than the factory one.... but still not enough to make contact. Maybe 1-1.5 mm of side to side movement of the spring.

For kicks I got very scientific. I rolled the spring on my bench which is fairly flat and true. Viola. She is bent like a dogs hind leg. Nowhere near being true. When collapsed it just kinda bends over, and grinds away the body. Lovely.

Guess I’ll order a RT one now, hope it’s straight and comes with a better bottom collar adapter so I don’t destroy the body further. Will cerocoat and time the shaft when the snow flies. Thanks for all who responded and reached out.

The Shop

11/9/2020 4:28pm
I had the same issue on my rm250 after pro action rebuild the suspension and it was a Eibach spring too.
nch209
11/9/2020 5:07pm
I am leaning towards a Race Tech. Is that good bet, or is there a better brand? Also, do new springs come with the bottom adapter collar?
slipdog
11/9/2020 6:19pm
That for sure is an Eibach spring. Race Tech springs are made by Eibach as well. I will say that is uncommon for Eibach but that is definitely a defective spring
nch209
11/9/2020 7:24pm
slipdog wrote:
That for sure is an Eibach spring. Race Tech springs are made by Eibach as well. I will say that is uncommon for Eibach but that...
That for sure is an Eibach spring. Race Tech springs are made by Eibach as well. I will say that is uncommon for Eibach but that is definitely a defective spring
Thanks for reply and email. Do you know if RT come with/require the adapter collar? Just want to order once...
slipdog
11/9/2020 8:22pm
slipdog wrote:
That for sure is an Eibach spring. Race Tech springs are made by Eibach as well. I will say that is uncommon for Eibach but that...
nch209 wrote:
Thanks for reply and email. Do you know if RT come with/require the adapter collar? Just want to order once...
I don't know for sure about the Race Tech brand but I would believe they do. I also believe they come with the reducing collar because the Eibach 892 series spring was produced in the 90s to fit both the KYB and Showa 46mm shocks. The Showa had a slightly larger inside diameter so they supply the collar to fit the KYB as well

Post a reply to: Shock Spring Rubbing Body?

The Latest