Re-timing the YZ250 pv governor

15tc150
Edited Date/Time 3/2/2021 9:26pm
Hello to all who read, and whoever owns a yz250, or even a yz250x, and are wanting better power delivery out of their Yamaha 250cc 2 strokes from 99-current, this modification applies to your bike. It isn’t very difficult, in fact, it’s incredibly straight ferwerds and the total cost of the modification is incredibly low as far as upgrades to power delivery go, and this will fill in the dip in the power curve. It’s evident on a dyno chart, the dip in power from right off idle, to the upper rpm range, is clear, and when your riding a YZ250, of any year 99-current, it makes for a harder to control, abrupt, power delivery, as you basically have to scream the engine to keep it pulling like it should. This style of power may seem fast, but it’s deceptively slow, if 4 strokes have shown the world of motocross anything, it is, that smooth, controlled metered power deliver is key for for speed, so let’s close that gap for the YZ250 a little. This should work with just about any YZ250, from stock to modified, a re-jet will be required, but not in the manner most would think, it’s the boost jet that needs to be leaned out, stock is rich, and the added velocity in the lower rpm range will pull a lot more fuel, if a rb designs side is in use, or anything leaner than the stock #7 slide, it will help, but, the stock #7 slide works absolutely awesome and gives very good throttle response, but does require a leaner pilot jet in order to get the off idle performance we are looking to achieve to broaden power delivery, and make a very easy to use powerband.

So let’s begin Smile

Firstly, drain the coolant and drop the oil out of the bottom end, then proceed to remove the exhaust, the Kickstart, rear brake pedal, and put the bike on it’s side(fuel shut off of course, don’t be silly like me lol).

Once the exhaust is off and bike is on its side, remove the water pump, and the power valve side cover to get at the pv actuator arm and take the bolt out so the actuator arm is free from the pv shaft. Removing the clutch cover isn’t needed, but it’s much easier to manipulate and line things up upon reassembly, and the ability to move the clutch basket to get the pv governor gear to re-align into mesh with the rest of the gears. Then remove the outer trans case, and remove the power valve governor.

Once the power valve governor is out, the fun can begin, it’s an incredibly easy part to disassemble, just be careful, don’t loose your balls Wink . Compress the spring by bushing down on the ball/ramp assembly, and drop the locking pin out, the governor will come appart entirely with the pin removed, just slide everything off the shaft in order.

The stock YZ250 pv needle thrust bearing washers are 1mm thick, and the YZ250X needle thrust bearing washers are 0.8mm thick. (Tricky tricky Yamaha) these will be the washers you replace. Initially, I ended up using all 4 yzx washers, but found upon install, that the 0.8 washer made the pv actuator arm sit too low, and it applies too much tension to the spring initially, basically adding more tension to the spring that you just tried to remove tension from. My instructions will show the order of washers, and a stock 1mm thick washer will be put back into use, with 2 0.8mm yzx washers replacing the stock YZ 1mm thick washers, and the 4th 1mm washer is entirely removed and replaced by nothing. This accounts to a 1.4mm reduction in spring tension. Doesn’t seem like much, but it makes a difference.

Once the pv goveror is re-stacked and assembled just reverse process to install everything again.

Your going to want to order all the parts at the same time, the 2 yzx thrust washers, gaskets, and a #45 or #40 Boost jet would be great, #35 possibly if your planning on utilizing the stock pilot jet in conjunction with a kawi #8 or rb designs custom slide grind. It’s about a 9.5-10, I’ve had #7,#8, and rb slide, and measured the rb slide.

Part number for the yzx thrust washers is

: 90201-154F5-00

|
15tc150
8/26/2020 7:40pm
Aboot to board my flight to the island, I’ll finish off the details and steps for the governor disassembly and reassembly in the marnin, have a good night errbody Wink

Hope this is well recieved info
15tc150
8/27/2020 8:29am
Alrighty then, well, let’s pick up where we left off, and that’s disassembling the governor itself, and re-stacking of shim washers.

With the governor out, take a look at how the entire setup works together, where the thrust washers, and needle bearings are located.

Apply pressure on the ball ramp, to compress the spring, and remove the retaining pin so the entire assembly can come apart.

Once apart, splay the washers and bearings out in order, that they come apart, even use a parts diagram to assure yourself if anything happens.

In the next photo, I’ve placed the two 0.8mm washers under the two 1mm washers they will be replacing, and remembers it’s only x2 0.8mm shims, that will be used, with the 4th washer closest to the pv spring, being completely removed from the assembly, so only 3 washers will be re-installed.

Time to re-assemble, you will see my finger pointing out the 0.8mm washers under the stock 1mm washers in the pictures, leave the 1mm washer closest to ball ramp in its place, then place the thrust bearing itself on, then a 0.8mm washer, followed by the spacer.

Once the spacer is installed, place the second 0.8mm washer ontop, followed by the second thrust bearing, but no washer after that, simply replace the spring collar overtop of the thrust bearing, and prep to assemble the spring, the gear shaft, and ball ramp apparatus.

Place the spring on the gear shaft, and slide the thrust bearing assembly ontop, followed by the ball ramp.
Compress the spring to fit the locking pin into the gear shaft, and line up the groove for the locking pin, and release tension. Governor assembly is complete, and all parts are ready to re-assemble.

Overall, pretty easy to accomplish, and for the added power below peak hp/tq will be noticeable, it’s almost like it pulls the way it should right from idle to red line, and your clutch is probably going to thank you for the less abuse you need to put on it to make the bike come to life.

Now for the jetting, ideally, the boost jet would be the guy to tackle, but, I didn’t have the proper size, only a #35, so I combated this issue by cutting the pilot size down to a 42, my needle clip was raised 1 position from the 2nd to the 3rd clip, as the off idle performance was a weee bit lean with the 42 pilot, and I’d get a lean spike almost right away, if I had my choice, I would be using a #7 slide, in conjunction with a 45 pilot, and 45 boost jet, so I had to compromise. I will be changing the jets again shortly, but due to not having a boost jet to replace the stock with, I opted for the leaner pilot, this gave a lot of added snap right off bottom, but due to the boost jet, I’ve got oil build up coming out of my silencer, it runs well, strong, no hesitation hiccups, or bogs, too much fuel is still though. my mods so far consist of the stock reed block, matched to the intake block(kinda pathetic Yamaha, simple fix for more power), as well as another no brainer, removing the restrictor from the stock silencer, but that’s it. Beyond that it’s an entirely stock 21 YZ250 with an 11oz fww and a iridium 8 heat range plug for purchased upgrades.

While We’re here, the stock YZ250 silencer is possibly the most overlooked piece of the bike, in 2011 it’s perforated core size was increased from 26mm id to 30mm id piping, the bent section between the silencer body, and exhaust pipe didn’t change, but what this has done is moved the pressure purging point sooner in the exhaust tract, thus allowing for much more exhaust flow, and by simply taking a dremel and grinding away at the two fusion welds holding the baffle at the tip of the silencer, and removing the baffle entirely will give you a completely uncorked silencer, that will our perform just about any aftermarket silencer I have come across, fmf, pc, dr.d, bills, all use the same 26mm Id perf core. here’s the example, had my 2015 yz’s silencer still kicking around, so luckily me, my 21 silencer is still pristine, and waiting to be shortened and uncorked.

Wasn’t in the topic, but meh, it’s another cheap but affective mod, same with the stock reed block, can be done in only a matter of hours with a bit of dremel, file, and sand paper work. Simple, cheap power. Minus the cost of my dremel, the three mods will cost you under 50 northern pesos to complete. so anyone on a a tight budget looking for better power delivery, everything is listed is right up your alley, and entirely attainable, and zero internal work is required, these mods may not be for errbody, but for you older vet and trail riders, it will be a very welcomed addition as the bike will lug better than it ever has before, Smoother easier to use and less abrupt power delivery, it will carry 3rd way easier in low speed sections, and you won’t need to coax it to life as much with a stab-o-da-clutch. Well, this alll looks so freakin huge from my iphones tiny screen, so I felt like iv just published a small novel, but on a computer screen, it won’t have nearly the awe lol Wink hope this helps, and remember, not for errbody. I got very good results, but there will be some people for sure that will say “I’d never recommend this mod” and that’s perfectly fine, to each their own. This is for the people who are looking to change the power delivery and are dedicated to the old school blue bomber.

Again, I hope this info is well received, and to anyone who is willing to try it out, I wish you luck Smile and hope to hear back with your input, good or bad. As well, I only posted my findings, and what I feel ACTUALLY WORKS, and if I did have any negative affects from this, I wouldn’t have come forth with the info, and would have simply returned things to how they were.
cdoggy81
8/27/2020 10:32am
Good info & thank you for taking time to write it up & post. I thought the mod was just to remove the 1 washer:

So I didn’t realize the 250x washers were thinner & another part to this mod. I guess in theory you could do it both ways to fine tune it a bit. Try it with a 1.4mm difference as well a just a 1mm difference. I’ll try it your way first for maximum effect to test how I like it & go from there. Thanks again 👍🏻
15tc150
8/27/2020 10:44am
Thank you! I’m glad your stoked on it, and to be honest, I really wish I could find 2 0.5mm washers, or two washers that are just smaller than the 0.8’s to try, I do feel that the pv could open even sooner and gain even better results, the 1.4mm is a great start, but if your game for it, try it with just the 4th shim removed, no harm, and it can always be changed again later Smile again, thanks for your enthusiasm, and I hope this mod treats you as well as it’s treated my last two yz250’s. I did it to my 2015 YZ250 as well, so it’s not just a one off thing, done it twice, and both times great results.

Thanks for reading Smile

The Shop

8/27/2020 3:52pm
I covered all this Power valve mod on Thumpertalk back when the X came out. The main thing to remember is that two washers toward the ball ramp side of the collar must remain the same thickness as stock for the model you are working with.

1.0mm for YZ's and 0.8mm for the X models.

On the spring side you can do whatever you want to tune the power. Removing one washer on the X has become the more common mod because it requires nothing but the time to remove it. I originally spec'd the use of a single 1.0mm YZ washer for all models with the X spring and that's the way I set them up when I do one. Regardless, it is a mod that most people like no matter which bike they are riding.

Tim King covered the Power Jet mod on Thumpertalk also. It works really well with the Power Valve mod, also.
15tc150
8/27/2020 4:15pm
Totally, I found with the 0.8mm washer against the ball ramp put pre load back on the spring by having to pull the actuator arm up to get it to mesh with the pv shaft. iv also compared yz to yzx springs, and if I had to choose even for the yzx, the yz power valve spring is a lighter spring the entire way through its travel, the only other difference between the two, is that the yzx spring is shorter in comparison, 2mm shorter, so the initial spring tension may be lighter than the yz’s but the rest of the tension is stiffer 100% of its range of motion. The yz spring is much much easier to compress to its max. I think I may have actually read your thread on it a couple weeks ago. I figured this out due to my 2012 250sx, with its adjustable power valve spring tension, I backed the adjuster way out with use of the red spring, and it turned my 250sx into a absolute monster. The power jet is definitely in need of a changing if this mod is done, it just causes the carb to come to life so much sooner in the rpm range. I find it funny, most people think that 2 strokes have the hit they do because of carb jetting, lol, it’s all about a perfectly timed opening of the powervalve, too soon, and it will pull too much fuel too early and will reach a richening point quickly, too late, and we get that “2 stroke hit” errbody raves about. Personally, I like it when my 2 strokes run smooth, and get on pipe sooner, allows for different line choices without the need to rail a corner on pipe because the added bottom this mod gives, effortlessly pulls 3rd out of corners with just rolling on the throttle
8/27/2020 5:05pm
One of the other guys on TT ( can't remember which one ) did some testing of the spring tensions and came up with this;

There is quite a difference in the springs. I tested them with a shipping scale, press and guage blocks when I put the yzx spring in my yz. Stock yz spring installed length is .640 with 18lbs preload. Full open is .190 more compression with 40lbs load fully open. The yzx spring installed length as delivered in the yzx is .672 with 19-20 lbs preload (tested 2 springs, they were different ) with 52-53lbs fully open at .190 more compression. The popular yzx mod of removing 1 washer gives a preload of 15-16 lbs. As you can see the yzx was set up to begin opening later than yz. The mod sets it up to open earlier than the yz. Of course you can set it up however you like with the available washers coupled with custom grinding the free length of the spring.
15tc150
8/27/2020 5:38pm
I did plan on trying to grind down each side of my spare yz spring to help further reduce tension, but I also wanted to try and find lighter secondary springs for the power valve shaft itself in opening up the sub ports soon, I do have the idea kicking around of clipping one, so there would be a 50% reduction in force to open the sub ports, buuuut, it would mean that the main pv would only have one spring opening it, and I don’t know if it would possibly bind by lifting on only one side of the main pv. Sorry if this sounds confusing, I’m kinda jet laggy, this afternoon, and I’m having a weeee bit of a hard time trying to piece the words together. I hope my words can make sense to your brain lol. Thanks for the input, I love it!!!
8/28/2020 6:21am
What kind of power change does the silencer mod create?
Is it possible to modify the older pre-2011 26mm core silencers to achieve the same results? Doesn't appear so.
15tc150
8/28/2020 7:08am
40 wrote:
What kind of power change does the silencer mod create? Is it possible to modify the older pre-2011 26mm core silencers to achieve the same results...
Is it possible to modify the older pre-2011 26mm core silencers to achieve the same results? Doesn't appear so.
Unfortunately no, it’s all about the pressure purging point, instead of the first point the pressure in the exhaust having any ability to expand, is at the tip of the silencer, with the 30mm core, it allows for a pressure change much earlier in the exhaust piping. I have even tried it with a 125 silencer as well, used a pro circuit 125sx silencer, cut out the 23mm perforated core, then using a spare pro circuit YZ250 end cap, Basically sandwiching a 26mm core in the canister of the silencer, bolted it all back together. I put it on my 2015 tc125(when it was a 125). The gains were instantly noticeable, even did the comparison back to back with another 125sx fmf silencer I had for the bike, the increase in power across the range, especially up top, and over revv was crazy. No dyno, but the feel at the seat, was unmistakable. Also off topic, but I’ll post pics of that silencer as well, as it’s disassembled at the moment.

Back to the YZ250 silencer though, the pre-2011 silencers will still benefit from removing the restrictor, it’s still a 26mm core, but the restrictor size is that of a 125, 23mm. once you dive into a stock YZ250, and realize just how corked they come from the factory, remedying the little things Yamaha still likes to do with these bikes, can be very cheap if you have the tooling to undo these restrictions, the three major points with the engine, well, let’s say four major points, 1st the reed block mismatch, second the silencer restrictor, those two are just mere unbolt, and work with a dremel, the third and fourth, are internal. The exhaust port, is more the major of the problems with the cylinder, as far as freeing flow up, and then the mismatch between the base of the cylinder, and the engine cases, there’s a rather large shelf, that causes the flow between the cases and cylinder transfer ports, to mess up as this shelf that hinders the flow of air and fuel going into the transfer ports. I ported my 06 YZ250 first, rode it for a while, and then did a full tear down after my reeds ate my cylinder and I wanted to put a new crank in as well due to unknown abuse, at which point I matched the cases to the cylinder. It made a huge difference, it had much more bottom end to offer, it felt smoother the entire rpm range, and the overal power gains, as I didn’t do any more work to my cylinders porting, were awesome. Rambled again, and off topic (slightly if you ask me, it’s allllllll related hahahahah) But if your trying to squeeze power out of these engines, it’s very easy to do, and even saying that, with my 06 yz cylinder, I did not alter any port heights, only removed the material from the exhaust port, and re-surfaced, and cleaned up the casting flaws. In the transfer ports. Just that alone is still going to be a very good gain in power. If Yamaha really did try and clone the 01 cr250’s porting like it’s been claimed they have done, then why don’t they run as hard and fast as a 01 cr250.

Please don’t jump on me, these are just rough pics of a friends cylinder I recently did for his 2013 YZ250, and I didn’t take any pics of the final finish, stupidly enough :/

15tc150
8/28/2020 7:45am
40 wrote:
What kind of power change does the silencer mod create? Is it possible to modify the older pre-2011 26mm core silencers to achieve the same results...
Aaaaaand totally missed your question, lol, it’s really early, and you got me all excited hahahaha, but the power gains will be very very plush to be honest, it will give a bit more added ontop, and help it revv out cleaner, but it’s also it takes away a lot of the herky jerky off idle jumpiness that I feel really upsets the handling of the chassis as it can basically make you hop out of a corner with a wee bit of throttle input. It will be hard to notice any one point, because it adds power from basically right off idle to redline, it may give the impression that you loose some
Bottom end snap, but it’s going to feel like that, because there’s more power above off idle that the stock silencer robs, same with the power valve mods, it will feel like the engine doesn’t make as much top end, but it does, it only feels like it doesn’t because below peak numbers it has more power, making the climb in power less abrupt, and more linear across the range. I’d be willing to bet, that any exhaust pipe with a modded stock silencer will our perform the full aftermarket exhust system, MXA’s exhaust shootout for the YZ250 even showed the best results with the Scalvini pipe came with the use of the stock 2011+ silencer, don’t really like to go with all that much mxa says, but when it comes to data, they did their due diligence in that article. So if the Scalvini pipe came to life with a restricted silencer, imagine what it would do for numbers with an unrestricted silencer. All theory right, but from my findings from all my modifying that I’ve done through the years, I think I’ve developed a good science in my methods, I wouldn’t be stating anything I felt really didn’t work at all. I do plan on buying a motorcycle dyno in the future, but till then, my arse is my best weapon in the struggle for power hahahahaha.
8/28/2020 1:02pm
You need to take your theory on stinger back pressure to the dyno. I did extensive dyno testing some years ago on the YZ250 and different silencers and lengths and found some much different results in peak HP and over rev than what is felt at the seat of the pants.

Yamaha put the ring in the silencer stringer to again top end HP and have been using those for many years now. The 30mm core was used when they increased the silencer length to offset the increase in back pressure caused by the added length.

Removing the ring on any of them will give similar, but less pronounced, effect as a "shorty" silencer.
15tc150
8/28/2020 3:57pm
It’s a really tricky little thing they did, and even went to stepped exhaust systems to have different purge points in the exhaust on the 450’s and 250f’s, in 08 and 09, but there is one funny little thing they did with the 30mm core silencer restrictor, it actually got an increase in size vs the previous 2011 silencers, the 2011+ silencers have a 24mm opening, vs the 26mm pipings 23mm opening, so even though the silencers length, and core size was changed, they also went and opened up the exhaust 1mm further at the very end, iv got a 2010 silencer as well, and compared the two directly as well. Your totally right, I need a dyno, I’d dyno everything so I’d have documentation of everything damn thing I do. This pv timing mod would be a lovely thing to see on the dyno, actually see how well it works at flattening out the power curve, cuz it feels real smooth after doing the change. Pipe Dream Racing here we come! It may happen, I’ve got my own private testing track in my yard, so a dyno, and an in house suspension tuner and we could tackle Every aspect of a bike other than ecu tuning, cuuuuz ited be a 2 stroke speed shop, but it would be neat to learn how to tune vortex box’s as I do plan on one of those for my yz, I read about the yzx cdi, and I like brutal hard hitting power, so vortex seems like the way to go, haven’t gotten enough info on jd’s cdi units, and I’m not overly interested in sending it away and having turn around times.
cdoggy81
8/28/2020 6:19pm
You need to take your theory on stinger back pressure to the dyno. I did extensive dyno testing some years ago on the YZ250 and different...
You need to take your theory on stinger back pressure to the dyno. I did extensive dyno testing some years ago on the YZ250 and different silencers and lengths and found some much different results in peak HP and over rev than what is felt at the seat of the pants.

Yamaha put the ring in the silencer stringer to again top end HP and have been using those for many years now. The 30mm core was used when they increased the silencer length to offset the increase in back pressure caused by the added length.

Removing the ring on any of them will give similar, but less pronounced, effect as a "shorty" silencer.
Thank you for writing exactly what I was thinking! Your spot on Mr Robinson 👍🏻

In a nutshell for 2 stroke exhaust systems: less back pressure = more TQ / low end power, shifts the curve to the left. More back pressure, more HP / higher end power, the curve moves to the right. That being said there is no free lunch so the trick is you try to design a system that works the best overall. Some will lean toward the low end & others towards the high end. I have had stock, Bills, DrD, FMF, HGS, DEP, cone pipe & PC & they all make slightly different power in different areas (but in that order LoL 😆)
15tc150
8/28/2020 9:25pm
You need to take your theory on stinger back pressure to the dyno. I did extensive dyno testing some years ago on the YZ250 and different...

If you had to choose, which setup surprised you the most, and made you scratch, and go hmmmm, really? Which one would that be, cuz I’m trying to decipher a pipe choice this time around, and the DEP pipe has my eye rightnow, as I’ve run pc setups on both my last yz250’s,

Also, was there any porting done to the cylinder or was it a stock engine with just pipe and silencer setups? And with that being said, I will be doing some back to back testing between the pure stocker, and uncorked yz silencers I have, you have my brain engaged for operation on this one, lol, so much for pv timing, hahahahahahahaha. Let’s just get into it, there doesn’t seem to be a heck of a lot of attention on the thread so let’s run with it Smile give me the deets bru!
15tc150
8/28/2020 10:19pm

cdoggy81 wrote:
Thank you for writing exactly what I was thinking! Your spot on Mr Robinson 👍🏻 In a nutshell for 2 stroke exhaust systems: less back pressure...
Thank you for writing exactly what I was thinking! Your spot on Mr Robinson 👍🏻

In a nutshell for 2 stroke exhaust systems: less back pressure = more TQ / low end power, shifts the curve to the left. More back pressure, more HP / higher end power, the curve moves to the right. That being said there is no free lunch so the trick is you try to design a system that works the best overall. Some will lean toward the low end & others towards the high end. I have had stock, Bills, DrD, FMF, HGS, DEP, cone pipe & PC & they all make slightly different power in different areas (but in that order LoL 😆)
I have also gotten my hands on more than a few setups, and from the dyno Info that mxa put forth with the YZ250 exhaust shootout, and seeing the dr.d exhaust, and seeing the numbers for that pipe, and knowing it has the most restricted silencer of the test group, as it’s restrictor is 23mm id at the tip, and seeing that it produced good numbers, but fell of very quickly ontop, tells me, that the silencer has the most restrictive design, and the pipes overal shape is a purely torque design with the shape of the pipes sections, more gradual curve with less pronounced corners and less straight lines are an indication that the pipe is made for torque, and less top end, and the straighter the pipe is, with sharper turns will give more added top end power, the stock pipe is very.... well.... slow, in my opinion, and needs to be ridden a gear higher to take advantage of the delivery and get good wheel speeds without power falling off, the pc exhaust pin it! Ride the gear, and don’t shift till your redline Is met.

Now the fmf exhaust hit peak numbers the highest out of any of the exhausts tested, and even though it didn’t make as much hp as the pc it has a much broader power delivery, also, the end cap of fmf silencers have the largest opening of any of the silencers openings that I have come across, which to me, would indicate why it hit peak numbers at such a high rpm, even higher than the top end pc exhaust, which peaked sooner than the fmf, and it does have a restricted end cap, not as much as the stocker or the the dr.d, but it’s there.

Now the Scalvini, ohhhhhh the Scalvini, how i love thee on my tc150 (08 ktm 144 engine swap) I have measured the pipe volume, As I have tested just about every pipe money can buy for these bikes, minus hgs, and dep systems, and if the YZ250 pipe is anything like it, it will have the most volume of any of the pipes, as my 150’s Scalvini, has the most volume to offer of all the pipes i did a water test with.
This also gives me the impression that the larger the volume of the exhaust pipe, the higher numbers it will produce. as it was tested, to be the highest number pipe, mated to the stock YZ250 silencer, it may have gave the highest numbers, but, huuuuge butt on this one, lol, it peaked at about the same rpm as the stock pipe, very very low in the rpm range, here’s the other butt, they didn’t test the same day, soo who knows if it’s numbers really ring true, but, they still documented the findings, and stated them in the article. Also giving me the impression that the stock silencers core allowed for the most numbers due to the 1st purging point in the silencer, but restricted it to the point that it hit peak numbers sooner than it should have, and didn’t have ample over-revv. I tested a few silencers with my Scalvini pipe when it was a ktm 144sx , and between the fmf ti2 and pc 304 not the r304, the fmf silencer felt it gave better top end being it was a bit shorter and the end cap itself was of a larger diameter vs the pc 304’s.

As much of this is purely speculation on my behalf, the info mxa came up with, well, it has to have at least some truth to it. they did the dyno pulls with each setup, and as much as I like to disagree with what they say about a lot things, a same day dyno pull camparison, I think would be pretty hard to mess up, (been wrong many times, and dined on my own words plenty) it’s purely controlled environment, but at the same time, who really knows what they did, I wasn’t there so I can’t even say TRUE ,With 100% confidence, all I can do is make a decision based on the information provided, in hopes that these guys didn’t pull a fast one on us and just published crap for shits and giggles.

But here’s the shit, WE HAVE CONFLICTING INFO!!! What you have stated with YOUR findings on the dyno testing that YOU HAVE DONE PERSONALLY!!! tells me that mxa is full of shit, (yet again) so here we are, smashing brains together, and I could t be more intrigued talking with you guys, it’s awesome, I love hearing points of view and findings, and why you run which setup for what reason, it makes me think, and speculate, and challenge what I know to better refine what I’ve learned. Thanks for the info, and I really look forward to reading more, it’s kiiinda late on the west coast, so off to bed I go, where are you guys from anyhoo, don’t have to be specific, I’m in the most southern part of west coast bc, on van island, and no, I don’t cheer for the damn Canucks, bunch of back swinging tools they are, and got fed up cheering for the losing team lol.
chump6784
8/29/2020 1:12am
15tc150 wrote:
If you had to choose, which setup surprised you the most, and made you scratch, and go hmmmm, really? Which one would that be, cuz I’m...
If you had to choose, which setup surprised you the most, and made you scratch, and go hmmmm, really? Which one would that be, cuz I’m trying to decipher a pipe choice this time around, and the DEP pipe has my eye rightnow, as I’ve run pc setups on both my last yz250’s,

Also, was there any porting done to the cylinder or was it a stock engine with just pipe and silencer setups? And with that being said, I will be doing some back to back testing between the pure stocker, and uncorked yz silencers I have, you have my brain engaged for operation on this one, lol, so much for pv timing, hahahahahahahaha. Let’s just get into it, there doesn’t seem to be a heck of a lot of attention on the thread so let’s run with it Smile give me the deets bru!
https://m.vitalmx.com/forums/Bike-Builds,46/A-new-YZ250-build,1359102#post_4182610

Check this post out for a comparison of the dep vs hgs. I have also run both pipes, the dep with the standard length silencer and the hgs with the shorty silencer. The hgs makes a little more power off the bottom and then really makes power through the mid. It's a smooth power and his up well then signs off a little earlier than the dep. I find I can short shift and use torque to pull out of corners or on long and whooped straights.
The dep has slightly less bottom and mid than the hgs but pulls forever up top. I don't think I ever found the limiter with this combo. This combo was also really smooth but you need to rev it to make power, no short shifting with this pipe.
Both fit well but the dep silencer leaked at the bottom of the canister and after the first ride packing was coming out. Bit of silicone fixed that.
Both pipes are better than the stocker from the mid up
8/29/2020 5:17am Edited Date/Time 8/29/2020 5:18am
One thing about matching cases to the cylinder is guys frequently forget to also match the base gasket. Spend time matching the cases only to robotically install the base gasket which then protrudes into area you just matched.
15tc150
8/29/2020 7:00am
15tc150 wrote:
If you had to choose, which setup surprised you the most, and made you scratch, and go hmmmm, really? Which one would that be, cuz I’m...

chump6784 wrote:
[url=https://m.vitalmx.com/forums/Bike-Builds,46/A-new-YZ250-build,1359102#post_4182610]https://m.vitalmx.com/forums/Bike-Builds,46/A-new-YZ250-build,1359102#post_4182610[/url] Check this post out for a comparison of the dep vs hgs. I have also run both pipes, the dep with the standard length silencer...
https://m.vitalmx.com/forums/Bike-Builds,46/A-new-YZ250-build,1359102#post_4182610

Check this post out for a comparison of the dep vs hgs. I have also run both pipes, the dep with the standard length silencer and the hgs with the shorty silencer. The hgs makes a little more power off the bottom and then really makes power through the mid. It's a smooth power and his up well then signs off a little earlier than the dep. I find I can short shift and use torque to pull out of corners or on long and whooped straights.
The dep has slightly less bottom and mid than the hgs but pulls forever up top. I don't think I ever found the limiter with this combo. This combo was also really smooth but you need to rev it to make power, no short shifting with this pipe.
Both fit well but the dep silencer leaked at the bottom of the canister and after the first ride packing was coming out. Bit of silicone fixed that.
Both pipes are better than the stocker from the mid up
Radness, thank you! Very good write up for the comparison, and all the testing that was in combination with dyno pulls, that’s awesome. also, it’s good to see what people have to say about other exhausts and how they feel, and the VHM cylinder head, and gytr 8oz flywheel, I ran the gytr flywheel on my 06 and 15 yz’s but with my 21, iv gone to a 11oz. it is a little lazier on the bottom with it, but if your keeping rpm up, it hits like a hammer with clutch drops. But for sure, I’m going with a dep pipe, even the 2003 exhaust shootout that dirt rider did ohhhh so long ago, how the power was described, made me want to try the dep vs the pc. Here’s the fun part though, the pv timing modifications, with the pc exhaust, the bike woke up earlier and came on sooner than any other exhaust I had with the stock pv timing, ran both fmf factory fatty, and pc works pipes, on my 06, the fmf combo gave me good roll on, and mid, revved out nicely, and gave me the ability to actually catwalk my bike, something, I haven’t ever had good success with, but the pc, was the faster choice to me, as I had just come off of a strictly small bore diet, so the ability to revv was what I was after, now, I want power from bottom to top.
15tc150
8/29/2020 7:03am
Ok, ima keep my posts less winded, lol, I put the joints down about a week ago, and have gone from strong silent type, and doing nothing but reading, to a Chatty Cathy.
15tc150
8/29/2020 7:03am
On another note, did anyone else notice the difference in chassis feel between the 2015 and 2016 frame changes?
15tc150
8/29/2020 7:23am
Hahahahah, shorter.... but more of them...... 😕

But these just showed up for me yesterday, and I’m trying to find what year of bike they came off of, or did someone get them coated red?!?!?

Yzf-22mm triples, the missing piece of the puzzle for fixing the handling on yz250’s specially the 2015 and earlier rake angle of 26deg vs the 2016+ rake angle of 27.7 for the yz/yzx amalgamation.

Tuna
8/29/2020 10:44am
15tc150 wrote:
Hahahahah, shorter.... but more of them...... 😕 But these just showed up for me yesterday, and I’m trying to find what year of bike they came...

But these just showed up for me yesterday, and I’m trying to find what year of bike they came off of, or did someone get them coated red?!?!?

Yzf-22mm triples, the missing piece of the puzzle for fixing the handling on yz250’s specially the 2015 and earlier rake angle of 26deg vs the 2016+ rake angle of 27.7 for the yz/yzx amalgamation.

22.5 RG3’s were the ticket for me. Made my 250 turn like my 125. Definately had to change suspension settings after. The YZ250 seems to like a low and slow rear end with the 22mm offset.
15tc150
8/29/2020 11:10am
If I had to choose between the frames, the new rake angle was much easier to get a better feel with, and if I had to go with the 2015 and earlier rake angle, I don’t think I could live with the stock 25’s they are just far too twitchy an offset, and offer such little castor, the new angle is much more stable, less jerky and twitchy, still twitchy though, the 25’s just turn too quickly, and there isn’t any manufacturer now running that much of a clamp offset. I did go to ride eng 22’s on my 06, but went back to the stock triples, they made the turning better, and more confidence in corners and making smooth lines hard on gas, but the straight line stability was twitchy as could be, and just did not like the feel of them, far too stiff i think, as on my 2015 YZ250, I went to the same 22 offset with machining out the top clamp of the yzf clamps..... aaaaaand WOW!!! Zero twitch, at all, supple feel to them, and cornering was vastly better than the ride eng triples, and all I could figure it could have been, was flex characteristics vs the forged and billet materials used, so was sold on them, I’d love to try the rg3 22.5’s as I feel that 0.5mm would make for a drastic change. My 06’s front end fork height was so crucial to front end feel, that 1/2 a mm up or down resulted in total front end confidence lost after I got them dialed, I didn’t think that 0.5mm would Actually make a world of difference. I don’t feel the new 27.7 rake angle suffers in the same way as the 26 did, on the yz125 though, same rake angle of 26 degrees, and ZERO front end complaints go figure 🧐 wtf riet???
15tc150
8/29/2020 11:31am
15tc150 wrote:
Hahahahah, shorter.... but more of them...... 😕 But these just showed up for me yesterday, and I’m trying to find what year of bike they came...

Tuna wrote:
22.5 RG3’s were the ticket for me. Made my 250 turn like my 125. Definately had to change suspension settings after. The YZ250 seems to like...
22.5 RG3’s were the ticket for me. Made my 250 turn like my 125. Definately had to change suspension settings after. The YZ250 seems to like a low and slow rear end with the 22mm offset.
I really found with yamahas, that high speed compression is absolutely vital for front end feel, and iv done this with my buddy’s yz250f as well, he was complaining about no bite with whatever fork height he tried, turned his high speed comp to 7/8th of a turn out from full hard, he came back after a few laps at my track, and was blown away that stiffening the rear would help front bite so much, oddly enough, my 2015 YZ250, my 07 yz450f, and my 21 YZ250 that I have now, allll three as well, 7/8th turn out from full hard, leaves me to suspect that anyone’s complaint about the yz’s front end, is because their rear shock isn’t setup properly, and they are choppering out in corners upon compressing, causing the front end to wash out.

My settings for clickers on my 15/21 Yz’s were 4 comp and 4 reb from full hard on forks, 6 out on low speed, 3 out on reb, and 7/8th, and I wish I had the ability to go stiffer, so ima have to do a fork oil blend between a 5/7wt maxima fork oil to bandaid the forks into stiffer valving, did this with my 07 yz450f, and it worked really well for not having to spend money on springs and re-stack of shims you get a stiffer fork.
15tc150
8/29/2020 11:32am
Great info all around
Rad, hope you don’t mind all the off topics we seem to be throwing at this thread lol, feel free mando! Love to hear your thoughts Smile
Tuna
8/29/2020 11:35am
15tc150 wrote:

Tuna wrote:
22.5 RG3’s were the ticket for me. Made my 250 turn like my 125. Definately had to change suspension settings after. The YZ250 seems to like...
15tc150 wrote:
I really found with yamahas, that high speed compression is absolutely vital for front end feel, and iv done this with my buddy’s yz250f as well...
I really found with yamahas, that high speed compression is absolutely vital for front end feel, and iv done this with my buddy’s yz250f as well, he was complaining about no bite with whatever fork height he tried, turned his high speed comp to 7/8th of a turn out from full hard, he came back after a few laps at my track, and was blown away that stiffening the rear would help front bite so much, oddly enough, my 2015 YZ250, my 07 yz450f, and my 21 YZ250 that I have now, allll three as well, 7/8th turn out from full hard, leaves me to suspect that anyone’s complaint about the yz’s front end, is because their rear shock isn’t setup properly, and they are choppering out in corners upon compressing, causing the front end to wash out.

My settings for clickers on my 15/21 Yz’s were 4 comp and 4 reb from full hard on forks, 6 out on low speed, 3 out on reb, and 7/8th, and I wish I had the ability to go stiffer, so ima have to do a fork oil blend between a 5/7wt maxima fork oil to bandaid the forks into stiffer valving, did this with my 07 yz450f, and it worked really well for not having to spend money on springs and re-stack of shims you get a stiffer fork.
Shock HS pretty much goes all the way out on any Yamaha I have owned.
Tuna
8/29/2020 11:40am
Tuna wrote:
15tc150 wrote:
I really found with yamahas, that high speed compression is absolutely vital for front end feel, and iv done this with my buddy’s yz250f as well...

Tuna wrote:
Shock HS pretty much goes all the way out on any Yamaha I have owned.
And that’s what I tell pretty much anyone I know riding blue.

Post a reply to: Re-timing the YZ250 pv governor

The Latest