New Racetech fork springs making grinding noise.

casper
8/9/2020 2:56pm Edited Date/Time 8/14/2020 2:49am
I just rebuilt the forks on my 2013 KTM 250 sx-f with new WP seals and bushings and new Racetech fork springs. After putting the forks together and mounting them on the bike, there was a grinding noise coming from the forks. I took one off(they both sound like this) and compressed it by hand and this is what it sounded like.

I took the forks apart and the sound wasn't coming from the fork tube bushings, so then I thought I might have messed up the springs or had gotten the wrong ones. When I took it out, I noticed the Racetech springs had a rough surface to them. When I checked the stock spring, it's polished smooth.

Racetech

Stock KTM Spring

I searched around and found a post on TT that said " I was told that the RT springs would be a little louder than the OEM due to their shot peening. It makes a rougher surface initially on the spring, which will wear down with time and become quieter."

Does that sound right? The front end of my bike sounds like a rusted pogo stick. And the "wear down with time" sounds like all that worn material is going to end up in my fork oil.

Does this sound right to anyone?
|
Titanium
8/9/2020 7:22pm Edited Date/Time 8/9/2020 9:19pm
I've seen this happen before in KYB SSS forks after a new spring installation. Simply hit the fork leg sharply with the lower part of your palm to knock the spring back into a more centered position inside the leg. You can also shake the fork (with the fork off the bike) if striking with palm wont work. It may take a couple tries. I know it sounds too simple to be true but try it..
Huskyboy95
8/10/2020 7:07am
I have an 2003 XR250, has the same noise with
race tech springs. I called race tech and they told
Me it was ok!!? It drives me nuts because the Oem
Springs made no noise. When they touch the
Inside of the fork tubes it’s a scraping noise and
Is very disconcerting. The forks function great and
They said it is ok....
CSAR FE
8/10/2020 9:08am
Normal. The race tech springs will smooth out a little over time. You can't hear it when you're riding.
casper
8/10/2020 2:56pm
How long did it take for the sound to go away?

If I sent my forks to a tuner and got them back sounding like this, I would have thought they screwed up. I still can't believe Racetech sells the springs like this, they must get complaints about this.

The Shop

CSAR FE
8/10/2020 3:43pm
I dunno, a couple hours maybe?

Sells springs like what? There’s nothing wrong with them. Either ride the bike and let them smooth out, or pull them out and send them back. I’d just let it ride man. It’s really not a big deal at all.
DB505
8/14/2020 2:49am
Interesting!
I’ve got some springs & gold valves on the way, I’ll pay attention to that,

Post a reply to: New Racetech fork springs making grinding noise.

The Latest