Garmin for training question(s)

nicknovice
Edited Date/Time 3/25/2021 12:37pm
My first new bicycle and watch “computer” in 20 years and god damn is it complicated for a 50+er.

I bought a Vivoactive 3, Edge 130+, and a chest strap.

How do you “kids” capture data for moto? The cycling setup was easy. For moto, I want to mount the watch on my bars and use the chest strap. I mostly want to capture a stop watch with average and max HR, at least to get started. I can’t figure out how to set the damn thing up for those simple tasks. Once I do, what else shall I capture?

Any advice? Thanks!
|
Oleary465
3/22/2021 6:29am
I have a 3d printed mount for the watch to go onto my fat bars, when i use bars with a cross pad i just attach it to that. Haven't had an issue with either.
AxlBundy
3/22/2021 6:35am
Can’t you use the same cycling preset? Chest strap will transmit to the watch on the bar pad
AE448
3/22/2021 7:40am
You need to get the heart rate strap set up with the watch and then I would set it to cycling mode, or "other/cardio" if your watch has it. Strap the watch around your bar/bar pad and that should be all there is to it.
FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
3/22/2021 7:47am
I use a Garmin Forerunner 235 for Moto and various different Edge for bicycle.

You are doing good by using a chest strap for moto. The built in HR monitors on the Garmin watches are notorious for being hit or miss on accurately reading your HR. I'd say it's barely better than a 50% of the time success rate. Drops in and out horribly.

I hope you have an I-phone. That is because the free LitPro app is the best way to use the data from your Garmin to capture and record lap times, and it is only supported on I-phone, not android. Install the LitPro app and synch it with your Garmin connect account. Your activities will then automatically populate to LitPro and you can see your lap times there. It is hit or miss but mostly hit. It helps if you are consistent about where you enter and leave the track.. which of course isn't possible during a race with a separate start lane.

As far as being able to see your captured HR data, speed, GPS track, etc. You can do that directly in the Garmin connect app or logging into your Garmin connect account on a computer. Or you can synch and share the activities with other fitness app accounts like Strava, etc.

I tried in the past the Motorsports+ app that is available as an additional purchase for your Garmin. It was basically worthless. Absolutely horrible at capturing lap times accurately.

The Shop

Tuplis
3/22/2021 11:36am
Motorports+ was decent but there definately are better options.. I still use it to get motos automatically shown as "Moto"

Strava is easy and nice for sharing lap times and other data with your (moto) friends.

For more accurate lap timing I use old Android phone mounted in bars and Racechrono app. You get sector times etc and can add 10hz GPS receiver if you really need accurate times - but don't see that necessary in motocross

nicknovice
3/23/2021 6:33pm
Oleary465 wrote:
I have a 3d printed mount for the watch to go onto my fat bars, when i use bars with a cross pad i just attach...
I have a 3d printed mount for the watch to go onto my fat bars, when i use bars with a cross pad i just attach it to that. Haven't had an issue with either.
I’m just using my bar mount for my old watch.
nicknovice
3/23/2021 6:35pm
FGR01 wrote:
I use a Garmin Forerunner 235 for Moto and various different Edge for bicycle. You are doing good by using a chest strap for moto. The...

You are doing good by using a chest strap for moto. The built in HR monitors on the Garmin watches are notorious for being hit or miss on accurately reading your HR. I'd say it's barely better than a 50% of the time success rate. Drops in and out horribly.

I hope you have an I-phone. That is because the free LitPro app is the best way to use the data from your Garmin to capture and record lap times, and it is only supported on I-phone, not android. Install the LitPro app and synch it with your Garmin connect account. Your activities will then automatically populate to LitPro and you can see your lap times there. It is hit or miss but mostly hit. It helps if you are consistent about where you enter and leave the track.. which of course isn't possible during a race with a separate start lane.

As far as being able to see your captured HR data, speed, GPS track, etc. You can do that directly in the Garmin connect app or logging into your Garmin connect account on a computer. Or you can synch and share the activities with other fitness app accounts like Strava, etc.

I tried in the past the Motorsports+ app that is available as an additional purchase for your Garmin. It was basically worthless. Absolutely horrible at capturing lap times accurately.
I do have an iPhone and I thank you for the reply! Good info! 👍🏿
jpfiester82
Fantasy
30th
3/25/2021 5:35am
FGR01 wrote:
I use a Garmin Forerunner 235 for Moto and various different Edge for bicycle. You are doing good by using a chest strap for moto. The...

This is the best option I have found. the app works pretty well as long as you select cycling as the activity. Not sure why they haven't found a better option than that but it works very well. Adding a chest strap this year to hopefully get more accurate heart rate data.

mattman631
3/25/2021 8:18am
I have a Fenix 6 that I use with a chest strap and an R.P. Moto bar mount. On my fenix I have set up a specific profile for MX that I put in my riding specific HR zones (based on MotoE (Robb Beams) heart rate calculator). when I ride/race I just start the watch and stop in at the end. GPS works great and with the chest strap I know im getting accurate HR data. When I MTB/ roadbike/run I have separate profiles for those as well that help sort out the activity type as well as allow me to input accurate HR data to set up the zones for training.

I have tried the LitPro app and didnt get much use out of it. But I also race offroad so there is that.
Oleary465
3/25/2021 8:54am
mattman631 wrote:
I have a Fenix 6 that I use with a chest strap and an R.P. Moto bar mount. On my fenix I have set up a...
I have a Fenix 6 that I use with a chest strap and an R.P. Moto bar mount. On my fenix I have set up a specific profile for MX that I put in my riding specific HR zones (based on MotoE (Robb Beams) heart rate calculator). when I ride/race I just start the watch and stop in at the end. GPS works great and with the chest strap I know im getting accurate HR data. When I MTB/ roadbike/run I have separate profiles for those as well that help sort out the activity type as well as allow me to input accurate HR data to set up the zones for training.

I have tried the LitPro app and didnt get much use out of it. But I also race offroad so there is that.
Robb is the Best!!
MDana87
3/25/2021 12:37pm
I have an old school (2012 maybe) Garmin Edge 500w/GPS updated, but would suspect the firmware is the same. I know it is on the new Garmin 510 I use for MTB. Anyway, in the Edge under "Bike Settings" you should be able to find "Auto Lap" with an option to "Mark Position". I find the best place on the lap and mark the position. From there the Garmin auto laps every time you pass, regardless of where you start or finish. You can view the laps scrolling on the Edge or download your activity to Connect and nerd-out like me... ha ha

Hope this helps

motomike894
3/25/2021 6:56pm
I recently got a new polar vantage m and downloaded the litpro app to try it, I have only used it twice at two different tracks but the litpro data wasn’t accurate at all, I did 13 laps and 14 laps last Sunday and about half those lap times were accurate or close the others were either way quicker or slower and the over view you could see it didn’t track me all way around the trcak the same.

I just ordered a LapKing I have friends with those and they say it’s 100% accurate all the time for tracking exact lap times, so I guess I will see, you can use it with the litpro app supposedly.

Post a reply to: Garmin for training question(s)

The Latest