Bent subframe?

Rickyisms
Currently changing the rear plastics on my ‘16 125SX. Everything came apart fine but now when I go to reinstall the new rear fender I can’t get the bolts to line up On the left hand side of the fender. Looking at the subframe from behind it does appear to be a little tweaked. Anyone have any ideas on how to straighten it out?
|
mxb2
6/21/2020 12:30pm
Big long pipe for leverage. And the hole in the pipe big enough to go far down on the subframe
FWYT
6/22/2020 5:55pm
mxb2 wrote:
Big long pipe for leverage. And the hole in the pipe big enough to go far down on the subframe
Yeah, something along those lines. Last time I bent one back, I took out the airbox so I get the pipe through the triangle portion. Your method will vary but leverage is the key. And by big pipe, I just went and bought an 8' section. Yes, it needed that much leverage.
DynoDan22
6/22/2020 7:01pm
I remember having some struggles getting the rear fender bolt hole to line up on my '18 150. If I recall, the forward most screws (on top over the airbox) were about 4-5mm from lining up. It took some wiggling, but it did line up.
Rickyisms
6/22/2020 11:29pm
DynoDan22 wrote:
I remember having some struggles getting the rear fender bolt hole to line up on my '18 150. If I recall, the forward most screws (on...
I remember having some struggles getting the rear fender bolt hole to line up on my '18 150. If I recall, the forward most screws (on top over the airbox) were about 4-5mm from lining up. It took some wiggling, but it did line up.
My big gripe is where the two tabs on the rear part of the subframe go into the threaded inserts on the rear fender. One side lines up, but the other won’t. I took the OEM rear fender that I took off the first day I got the bike and it lined up fine, so I ordered a new black rear fender to try again

The Shop

kb228
6/23/2020 4:40am
When i bent mine in my big get off, the tab that the muffler bolts to sortof twisted. All i did was heat it up to about 250 degrees and bent it back with a hammer. Worked pretty good. Its hard to do when you dont have a solid place to work off of. I found that its hard to do on the bike since it likes to move on the stand - but thats the best way without making a special fixture
HondaMan66
6/23/2020 6:50am
Tie your bike down in the back of your truck or on your trailer to hold it while you beat it or bend it back straight.
6/25/2020 11:22am
Aluminum subframes are super stubborn to bend back. I had a bent one on a 2005 honda cr125 and tried the mentioned rachet strap and huge bar method and it did not work. Heat helps but the rest of the subframe is so rigid it always seemed to eek back once it started cooling. I got to the point I was afraid I was going to snap it so I eventually heated the fender a touch and made it fit the subframe. All said and done I could see a very small twist but unless I pointed it out no one else noticed

Post a reply to: Bent subframe?

The Latest