Air filter

Related:
Create New Tag

9/16/2018 10:40 AM

I keep getting this small build up of dust in this little area of the intake on my 18 ktm 250f. I use twin air filters with no toil oil, I oil them well completely submerging the filter in a bucket of oil and squeezing out the excess, there looks to be a good seal from the air filter to the intake. I change the filter every ride, sometimes midway through the day if it looks bad. Anyone else having this issue? Photo

|

9/16/2018 12:02 PM

Try greasing the lip of the air filter.

|

The older I get, the faster I was.

9/17/2018 7:03 AM

to me it seems like stuff that falls in when you are changing the filter.

|

9/17/2018 8:39 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/17/2018 8:42 AM

I have noticed some of this on my ktm 450 too. Same oil and same set-up. I recently went to using one of those pro seal gaskets and it makes an extremely tight seal without grease. So tight it takes some effort to pull that tab up and insert into the bottom filter hole and this is exactly what I was seeking. NO WAY anything is getting around that lip sea, it is so TIGHT nowl! I have not checked the filter since but curious next change. I also bought a Twin Air dust pre-filter for extra protection in bad dust.

|

9/17/2018 9:54 AM

It could have fallen in when removing filter. I'd try another oil set up and different filter to be safe.

You don't want engine problems over a $20 filter and $10 oil choice.

|

9/17/2018 10:09 AM

blaze 57 wrote:

I have noticed some of this on my ktm 450 too. Same oil and same set-up. I recently went to using one of those pro seal gaskets and it makes an extremely tight seal without grease. So tight it takes some effort to pull that tab up and insert into the bottom filter hole and this is exactly what I was seeking. NO WAY anything is getting around that lip sea, it is so TIGHT nowl! I have not checked the filter since but curious next change. I also bought a Twin Air dust pre-filter for extra protection in bad dust.

Funnily enough I bought some of them pro seal filter gaskets yesterday, see how that goes. Can’t really use grease with the no toil as the whole point of the no toil thing is the no toil cleaner will only wash out no toil oil.. may have to switch oils if it keeps happening though sad

|

9/17/2018 1:06 PM

moto#52 wrote:

Funnily enough I bought some of them pro seal filter gaskets yesterday, see how that goes. Can’t really use grease with the no toil as the whole point of the no toil thing is the no toil cleaner will only wash out no toil oil.. may have to switch oils if it keeps happening though sad

No toil makes their own grease that also washes away with their cleaner. I use this with the oil and nothing ever gets by.

Photo

|

9/17/2018 8:18 PM

That is from unnecessary and frequent filter changes. If dust is passing through, then it is in your engine. Even pre mix as a filter oil isn't going to let stuff through. If you are truly worried, a very light coat of filter grease evenly coated on the boot before the carb/throttle body is a great last line of defence.

|

vomiting equals disqualification.

9/18/2018 4:46 AM

BR8ES wrote:

That is from unnecessary and frequent filter changes. If dust is passing through, then it is in your engine. Even pre mix as a filter oil isn't going to let stuff through. If you are truly worried, a very light coat of filter grease evenly coated on the boot before the carb/throttle body is a great last line of defence.

Exactly. The stuff at the bottom of your air box looks to big to even pass through an un oiled filter. A filter can get dirty during a ride. It means its doing its job. My area has been damp lately so no dust. I can get 2-3 open practice days in and the filter still looks almost new. Usually 2-4 hours of ride time.

|

9/19/2018 1:12 PM

I thought Everyone greased the rim of the filter? Yep No Toil oil and grease is the BEST.

|

9/19/2018 2:26 PM

My experience with no toil is that the filter almost glues itself to the rim of the airbox. Im not really sure how dirt would get thru. It seals that good. My bets are on dirt falling in after you remove the filter.

|

9/20/2018 9:57 PM

kb228 wrote:

My experience with no toil is that the filter almost glues itself to the rim of the airbox. Im not really sure how dirt would get thru. It seals that good. My bets are on dirt falling in after you remove the filter.

I noticed that too. I mean when you remove the filter you can see where the airbox rim have smashed up so tight against the filter rim that its imprinted onto the filter element. No way dirt getting past that!

|

9/21/2018 4:41 AM

kb228 wrote:

My experience with no toil is that the filter almost glues itself to the rim of the airbox. Im not really sure how dirt would get thru. It seals that good. My bets are on dirt falling in after you remove the filter.

blaze 57 wrote:

I noticed that too. I mean when you remove the filter you can see where the airbox rim have smashed up so tight against the filter rim that its imprinted onto the filter element. No way dirt getting past that!

if dirt is getting by, usually you can tell because the lip will have dirt on the inside.

|

9/22/2018 6:09 AM

On these ktm/husqvarnas if you look at the filter right on the outside of the pins the filter is rolled up and kinda stuck under the rubber gromet. Ive had dirt build up under there because i wont allow it to sit flat.

|